Trouble

I Am

 “Well, I found him. When are you giving me the signal?” Zero mumbled into her ear piece that directly goes to Chief Lee's radio. She was lying on a roof top that let her peer over to look into Jungki's house window. It was also a rundown house that was by far worse than Zero's own apartment building. Doojoon was in his car next to the building. He was quietly watching over her while listening to the three way call.


“Keep watch for tonight. Minhyun is looking over the last two files.” Chief Lee said which Doojoon and Zero received perfectly. Zero glanced down at Doojoon before leaping off the roof and onto his car.


“Zero?! What are you doing?” He said into his radio and got out of the car. He caught her backpack and held her back by hugging her. It made her tense up, but she snapped herself out of it by twisting his arm. “S-Sorry! But don't act by yourself!” He groaned.


“Don't touch me or else.” She warned. “I'm just getting a better look.”


“Good job, Doojoon.” Chief Lee's voice interrupted them. “We just found a warrant for him so there's no need for Zero to pursue him further. You prevented a fight just in time. We're on our way now to arrest him.”


“Tch.” Zero climbed up the roof once more. The sounds of police sirens echoed from down the street. She watched over Jungki who now was cracking open a beer. She crawled over to the other side of the building to see the red and blue lights flashing down the alley. The sirens were cut off just as one car pulls up behind Doojoon's. “There's only one entrance and exit. Surround the house to be safe.” She told Chief Lee just when he got out of his car. He called for Minhyun and Inspector Choi to go to the back.


“Get ready, Doojoon.” He walked to the house with him following from behind. Doojoon leans against the wall while Chief Lee went to the door. The man pounded on the door and waited for Jungki to respond.

 

“Who is it?” Jungki cautiously walked to the door.


“It's the police. We have a warrant.”



“You got the wrong person!” Jungki said and from the roof, Zero saw him slowly backing away from the door. Chief Lee signalled Doojoon to kick down the door and they both prepared to raid in. The door was slammed open and Jungki was caught off guard.


“Hands up!” Doojoon pointed his gun at the man. Jungki backed away with his hands over his head. “Hands behind your head and slowly come out.” He and Chief Lee backed out of the house. “On your knees.”


“That's it.” Chief Lee circled from behind. “Spread your arms and legs out.” Jungki did as told and Doojoon quickly placed him in hand cuffs.


“Good job, newbie!” Minhyun walked over with a smile on his face. “We'll take him from here.” He pulled Jungki onto his feet. Zero jumped onto the roof of Doojoon's car and leaped over to Chief Lee's car. She let herself through the passenger window and waited for them to wrap up.

 

-~-
 

Jungki slammed his cuffs on the table and stood up with anger, “I told you I don't know who Seller is! Let me go home.”


“We know your connection with him already. Stop trying to lie to us.” Inspector Choi sighed and screwed in his thumb tighter. “We just want to know if you saw the shooter or not.”


“I don't know what you mean.” Jungki turned the other way. They were back at the Police Station and trying to get some information from Jungki, but he kept making the interrogation go in circles. The others were sitting in the next room watching from behind the two way mirror wall. Zero was mostly fed up with how Jungki was avoiding all questions.


“He definitely saw something.” Chief Lee chewed on his pen. He glanced at how shaky Jungki's right hand was.“Minhyun, why don't you go try and interview him.”


“Su-”


“Can I?” Doojoon raised his hand.


“Go for it.” Minhyun sat back down. They watched Doojoon switch place with Inspector Choi and there was still no development.


“I know you're trying to stall time since we can't keep you here forever.” Doojoon sat on the desk, “That day after you were knocked unconscious, when did you wake up? You weren't there when we arrived. There were people that saw you after the shot was fired. You know that Seller was shot.”


“Oh my, was he?” Jungki gasped, “I really had no idea. Maybe you should ask Zero. That bastard might of killed the man. ”


Zero stormed out of the room and went next door to the interview room. She managed to get Doojoon to switch without the other police officers knowing. Jungki almost fell off his seat after seeing Zero walk in. He pushed his chair back and cowered in the corner of the room.


“W-What are you doing here?” Jungki stuttered, “You work for the police?!”


Zero gestured him to sit back at the table as she sat down. She folded her hands on the table and leaned in. “Tell me what you know or else.” She threatened.


Jungki scoffed, “Police brutality. Have you heard of that?”


“After I dealt with Seller, you woke up, didn't you? He was shot point blank in the head.” She glanced at his hands and then at his face. He his lips and cleared his throat. “I highly doubt you want to end up like Seller, right? Say something.”


“I don't know what you're saying.” He glared at the camera filming them. “How many hours do I have left before I get to leave? Just put me in a holding cell.” He smirked. Zero smirked to herself and cracked her knuckles.


“Who said I was with the police?” She locked the door and unplugged the camera with her leg.


“N-No!” Chief Lee ran out the door with the others trailing with worry. Doojoon curiously went to follow and watched him unlock the door. Chief Lee pushed the door open to see that the desk was flipped over and Jungki was whimpering in Zero's hands.


“I-I'll talk.” He cried, “I'll talk.”


“Zero?!” Doojoon pushed his way through and pulled Jungki out of her arms. Jungki had two swollen eyes and a busted lip. Minhyun tried to pull Zero out of the room for her to calm down, but when he felt her arm, blood stained his hands.


“B-Blood.” He pointed to her arm. Zero merely looked down at it. She didn't feel anything. Her anger was far more stronger than the pain in her arm. “L-Let's go in the other room.” Minhyun walked her out.


Later that night, Zero walked home with her arm back in a sling. She returned to her Yeonwoo persona and went to grab some food before she went home. As she crossed the main street, an elderly woman crashed into her and fell over. She backed up and carried the woman off the streets.

 

“Thank you so much.” The elderly woman said with a smile. “Even though your arm is hurt.”


“Are you hurt anywhere?” Yeonwoo crouched down and carefully looked at the woman. She had short permed hair and wore a beautiful hanbok. “Your foot looks swollen.”


“Ah, I didn't realize that. I just came back from a dance performance and wondered why my foot was acting up. I thought it was just my arthritis.”


“I'll take you to the hospital.”


“Oh, sweetie, there's no need. You must be very busy.” The woman smiled, but Yeonwoo shook her head.


“It'll be a few minutes.”

                                                                                                               -~-

“Hey, hey. What happened to your arm?” A young girl asked Yeonwoo in the middle of the waiting area. Yeonwoo glanced over to see the girl in a cast.


“What happened to yours?” Yeonwoo asked, reading all the get well messages written on her cast.


“I fell off my bike.”


“Nana, don't bother the young lady.” Nana's mother said.


“No worries, she's not bothering me.”Yeonwoo reassured and the woman looked up from her magazine to smile before looking back down again.


“Are you Ms. Hyoshin's grand daughter?” One of the nurses dressed in pink scrubs asked. Yeonwoo hid her face from the nurse by pulling up her sweater.


“No.” She answered, wondering if she should change the tone of her voice. She felt uncomfortable when people other than those from the station would look at her straight in the eyes.


“Oh, okay. We'll contact her family right away, but thank you for bringing her in. She has a minor fracture in her ankle.”


“Please look after her.” Yeonwoo bowed and walked towards the exit of the hospital.


“Mama, I want to give her the button!” Nana said, walking her mom towards Yeonwoo.


“Here.” The woman handed Nana the button. Nana ran over to Yeonwoo and stopped in front of her.


“Get well soon!”She grinned and placed the floral button in Yeonwoo's hand. “I made this at school myself!”


“Thank you..” Yeonwoo patted the young girl's head. “I hope your arm heals quickly.”


A single gun shot was fired within the building. Screams echoed throughout the department and everyone curled up into balls on the ground. Zero pushed Nana down and looked for where the shot had come from. Another shot was fired and this time, louder than the first shot.


“Nana!”