Rest

I Am

After being suspended from doing her activities as Zero, she spent her days off at the Second Bureau just to bother Chief Lee to see if he would change his decision. All she did was lazily sit around or go out and about peering over everyone's shoulders to see if she could stick her nose into their work. It definitely irritated Chief Lee, but he knew better than to succumb to her annoyance.

 

“What's with you and Zero?” Minhyun whispered to Doojoon just as she walked by to see what Inspector Choi was up to. They watched her stand next to the man and stare at the computer screen.

 

“N-Nothing.” Doojoon said and organized his desk. He hated how he would unintentionally let himself go when he's too focused on a case. Now her had to clean up the mess he had made.“Why?”


“I know something is up.” Minhyun smirked.

 

Doojoon froze at the thought of what happened two nights ago, but resumed his movements to not let Minhyun catch on. He calmly felt his face to check if he was blushing. “I don't know what you're talking about.” He stood up to get a drink of water.

 

“Okay.” Minhyun muttered with the shake of his head and continued to screw in the bolt in his PC. The moment he looked away, he missed Doojoon and Inspector Choi colliding into one another. He lifted his head to get a look at the commotion and bursted out laughing at the papers scattered across the floor.

 

“Sorry! Let me get it for you.” Doojoon quickly went to get the papers.

 

“No need to rush.” Inspector Choi chuckled and picked up the papers near his feet. Zero scoffed and went to help them out. Doojoon gathered and collected them into a pile. When he tried to reach for the last piece, his hands caught Zero's. He locked with her eyes and couldn't help, but stare into them. Even though it's been so long, he still felt intrigued when he saw her eyes. He still felt that natural lighting suited her the best.

 

“There is something going on!” Minhyun leaned over his desk to see them still staring at each other. Zero broke the gaze first and shot Minhyun a look. The tension rose as he playfully engaged her with a staring contest. Inspector Choi watched to see who would surrender first. After all this time, he still found the youngsters amusing.

 

Chief Lee walked in quietly to avoid the attention and went to his room to rest. Doojoon saw him as he passed and went to follow.

 

“Can I help you with something?” Chief Lee asked, loosening his tie and shirt collar.

 

“Chief, I was wondering if I could take a day off.”


“A day off?” Chief Lee furrowed his eye brows in confusion. “Are you feeling okay? You never taken a day off since you got transferred here.”


“It's nothing really. I thought I should just take a break and spend time with my parents.” Doojoon chuckled, “If that's okay with you?”


“Take the day off. I need you at your hundred percent. We have a tough case coming up and I need everyone rested.” Chief Lee sat down in his leather office chair, “Let the others know they should rest up.”

“Thank you, Sir!”

-~-

 

It was a rare quiet time within the Second Bureau. Everyone was doing their part for an upcoming bust, but they were worried about one specific thing.


“Where did that punk go?” Minhyun slammed his hands on his keyboard. “Is he running away?”


“Don't say that, Minhyun. Chief probably has him doing something important.” Inspector Choi said with a frown.


“But it's been almost a week! He practically disappeared. Where would he be if he said he's only taking a day off?”


“Doojoon hasn't come back yet?” Chief Lee walked across the room to sit in the empty office chair, “I wonder if he's okay.”


“What do you mean? Didn't you put him on a case or something?” Zero asked from the far corner of the room by a bunch of file cabinets. She didn't want to participate in the conversation, but her curiosity got to her.

 

“Nope.” Chief Lee said without a care. “He seemed odd, but it's starting to worry me now that he hasn't called.”


“NOW, you worry?” Minhyun exclaimed.

 

Chief Lee shrugged, “I mean, we're not in a hurry just yet. Everyone else here had a day off except him.” He turned his head to Zero. “Maybe Yeonwoo should pay him a visit.”


“Yeah, right.” Zero muttered with the roll of her eyes. She thought that even if she was Doojoon's pretend girlfriend, she didn't have to go all the way for him. After all, it's just for the time being. She opened up the last cabinet and skimmed through the file names.

 

“He told me he was going to spend some time with family. You should go get him. A week is enough time to rest.” Chief Lee leaned back in his chair. “I have a box of vitamin drinks in my room. Can you deliver them to his parents for me? Let his mom know its in return for the fruit basket she bought us.” He pushed himself off the chair, “I'm going to get some coffee.”


“Can't you do it on your way out?”

 

“Thanks, Zero.” Chief waved at her. She slammed the cabinet shut and walked to his office to pick up the green box. She grabbed a change of clothes she hid in the storage room next to his office and changed out of her dark clothes into more of the sweet Yeonwoo Doojoon's family are familiar with. Her outfit consisted of a casual white and pink dress. Minhyun and cat called as she walked by which only made her chuck an eraser from Inspector Choi's desk. Minhyun caught the flying piece of rubber with his face and apologized to her immediately.

 

“Tell the kid we miss him.” Inspector Choi winked.