You are my sunshine

We all Fall....

speaking in Korean

speaking in English

 

"Noona! Noona! Don't leave me! Noona!"

 

"Sanghyun! Sanghyun!" *shake*shake*

 

Finally opening his eyes, Sanghyun frantically looked around the room and into his sister's face. His sister. Dara.

 

Unable to help himself, he crushed himself in his sister's embrace. Holding her close, murmuring "don't leave me, Noona". Still in a daze, Sanghyun grips tighter onto Sandy, tears slowly pouring from his eyes and down to her shoulders.

 

"Shhh...Sanghyun, it's ok, I'm here. I'm here." Sandy coos. Slowly rocking the young man in her hold. She begins to hum and sing.

 

(listen to this while reading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckEUuHooi6U )

 

Slowly Sanghyuns grip on her slackens, she helps him to lay back down. Carefully fixing his hair, Sandy sighs and straightens the blankets on his shoulders. Standing up, she turns to leave. Once at the door, she turns to look at the young man claiming to be her brother- in the guest bedroom. A slight smile forms on her lips, she's unsure, but he's familiar. 

 

"Goodnight Sanghyun," she said as she slowly closed the door.

 

Sandy's POV

As I exit from Sanghyun's room, I can't help but sigh. What a hectic day. As I roam my eyes in the house, I saw the doors to the backyard still open. Gran.

 

Going to the kitchen, I decided to heat some tea and go out to the veranda to sit with her. 

 

"ah, my dear, what are you doing still up?" Gran asks as she sits in her rocking chair looking at the night sky.

 

"would you like some tea, Gran?" Sandy offers, motioning to the freshly brewed tea she brought out. 

 

 "yes, please. Thank you. now tell me why you're still up. You still have a meeting with our investors tomorrow" Gran states.

 

sighing Sandy sits next to Gran, "Sanghyun, he was screaming in his room. I went to check on him."

 

facing me Gran asks, "screaming? why would he be screaming?"

 

"yes, Gran. I think he was having a nightmare. I tried to wake him but he ended up crushing me in his embrace, he kept saying 'Noona'."

 

"didn't he say that meant 'big sister'?" 

 

nodding slowly, Sandy sighs and says "yes, and I can't help but feel sad. It seems that he's having nightmares because of me."

 

taking her hand, Gran holds onto it and says "stop worrying yourself, sweetheart. its been a long day for both of you. I know that things are confusing right now, but look at it this way, you've finally found someone who can answer your questions."

 

looking at Gran, Sandy squeezes the hand holding onto her and smiles. "have I ever told you how thankful I am? like really thankful? because I truly am, if it wasn't for you Gran, I don't even know where my children and I would be. so thank you. so much."

 

shaking her head Gran smiles and hugs Sandy, "my child, you don't have to say anything, I know, and it doesn't matter, I would do it all over again. Meeting you has given me so much happiness I haven't felt in a long time. You've given me a chance to be a mother again- after failing the first time." squeezing Sandy in her arms.

 

still in Gran's arms, "you didn't fail. it was an accident Gran, you couldn't have prevented that car from getting to her on time. it wasn't your fault, and I know that Natalie wouldn't like you blaming yourself. She loves you, like how I love you. You've become my mother in the time I've spent with you and I'm very lucky to have the chance to know you. Not only did you take me in, you've loved me like your own along with my children, I couldn't be luckier to have met you."

 

"oh, my child" Gran sniffles, and holding tighter. " I don't know what ill do when you go..."

 

"Gran...it'll only be for a month. I just...i just want to know what it's like there. I want to know my family, the one I left. I want to know if I still have a place to go back to..." Sandy says softly.

 

patting Sandy's hair, Gran slowly unwraps herself from the young woman. "I know, and I'm happy for you, don't mind my dramatics. I'll stay here and care for the twins while you go find out about your past. No matter what happens, you have a home here with me, you understand? should you choose to go back or stay here, know that Gran will be there for you, ok?"

 

nodding, Sandy again reaches for Gran's embrace. "I'll miss you."

 

"and so will I" Gran replies. She slowly rocks the both of them and begins to sing, "you are my sunshine...my only sunshine..."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(please listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joznb5lm8D8 )

english trans:

when mother went to the island to pick oysters
the baby was left to go, stay in the house alone
ebb and flow of tidal waves sounds like lullaby
the baby fell asleep with his elbow as a pillow

when the baby's in his deeply nap, all seem peaceful
yet, noisy hoot seagulls make mother's heart anxiously
not minding half empty basket, carrying it on her head
mother ran to her baby, stepped on a hot sandy road

 

slowly a woman sang, looking out her window. the longing in her eyes, spilling over as tears fall.

"where are you my child? i miss you..."