10 Ways To Get You Back

~  ~

 

Finally. They finally met. After many times of hiding, Hayi and Jiwon finally met.

 

Both were unable to talk since they were surprised. Who would have ever thought that they'll meet here, in an unusual place, on a drive thru road of a fast food restaurant, with all the noise surrounding them, and on the most uncomfortable position ever; Jiwon’s head was hanging low on the vehicle's window while Hayi was looking up on him, still seated on the cold asphalt of an autumn evening.

 

"I-I, why are you here?" The boy broke the silence, his grin still unwavering.

 

Hayi finally realized what she's doing and stood up and dust herself. "N-nothing, I was just sitting around here, you know thinking." She plastered a smile, a you-don't-think-I'm-idiot-right smile. Jiwon only nodded.

 

He was about to ask her how she has been but he wasn't able to do so since his friends started complaining and his car was already causing a traffic on the drive thru.

 

"I guess I need to leave then," he said while scratching his nape.

 

"Oh yeah, yes, g-goodbye Jiwon," she said, trying hard not to stumble on her words.

 

Before he maneuvered the vehicle, Jiwon turned to Hayi and said the words that made Hayi flustered: "I hope this wouldn't be our last meeting hayi. it was very nice meeting you again."

 

The car already left after getting their orders. Hayi sighed and began to leave her place. Meeting Jiwon was really unexpected since she has been avoiding doing so, but what can she do when fate orders it? She could only sigh. Today was really not her day. She dug for her phone from her bag and made a note on her calendar.

 

20XX.11.13

Not really my day, not even an inch, even a centimeter!! >,<

 

She frowned after saving it. Staring at it for a while she noticed the notifications displayed on the top of her phone's screen. Hayi slide down the notifications bar, her eyes slowly widened at the realization.

 

“What the fu-10 missed calls!?

 

She looked who the caller was and found out it was Nam Taehyun, a barista from the coffee shop she has started working for, he’s not really sociable though, and Hayi thought he was an outcast or a gay, since they never had a single conversation and she always caught Taehyun speaking to any other male crew and not to the yoja(s).

 

“How did that gay knew my number?” Hayi wondered since she has yet to talk to the barista before.

 

However before her thoughts started speculating about the man’s uality and such; her phone began to ring and she answered it almost immediately.

 

“Yeoboseyo?”

 

“Is this Lee Hayi?” A soft yet deep voice echoed from the other line.

 

“N-neh, I am Hayi. Who is this?” Even though she already knew for she had already read the caller id before accepting the call, Hayi still inquired.

 

“This is Nam Taehyun. I guess you know me right?”

 

“Of course, of course.”

 

There was some kind of interruption and Hayi waited for the good eight seconds before the other replied.

 

“Do you know what time it is already? I won’t wait for you answer because it will only take long like you always are. God, it’s already 7:13! Do you remember anything that you need to do at seven?” Taehyun grumbled. He was pissed at the wrong order he just made, blame his idiot cousin named Song Minho for being his stupid self again and placing the iced Americano to a double caramel macchiato. Those don’t even sound alike so just wanted to hit Minho because the customer was complaining. If that were Hayi this wouldn’t even happened; well he really prefers a daydreaming cashier than a dim-witted one.

 

Hayi suddenly remember her supposed to be seven o’clock shift and she apologized, “Oh my god, , I’m so sorry I forgot. I’m gonna be there in five. I’m really sorry again.”

 

“Make sure you are or else you are so done.” The phone call ended and Hayi rushed towards the university where the café was.

 

“Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!”

 

"Hmp, you are fifteen seconds late." Hayi was welcomed by Taehyun holding a watch as soon as she entered the employees' area. The latter went back to the kitchen to check if the brewer was done brewing the coffee beans.

 

The former just rolled her eyes, she was panting heavily like her life depended on it, her lungs hungrily wanting air, her face full of sweat. Running almost a kilometer without stopping was just the same as living on an island without any food or Jiwon (what the hell); it's suicide.

 

Wiping her face from the tissue given by Minho, she mouthed the tan boy a 'thank you' and placed her bag inside the employees' locker.

 

"I'm sorry." She apologized while bowing her head and preceding the change to her uniform.

 

"You're lucky manager Lee was busy or else you would have been outside and humiliated right now," Taehyun said and the steamer whistled, he opened its door, got one bun from it, and placed it on a small plate.

 

Hayi pouted as she switched shifts with Minho. "Yo I'm sorry I guess I'm the one to blame for having that sass snappy." The boy said as he made a peace sign while grinning.

 

"Nah it's alright," she said, although it was her first time seeing the barista like that because it was even her first shared conversation.

 

Minho waved goodbye to them and Hayi began working her off; Taehyun and she never talked again after that.

*****

 

Weekends came to pass and Monday soon approached. Hayi and Suhyun entered the class together because they have the same subject which was Physics. Hayi wasn't late like she used to; thanks to Suhyun for barging inside her room and jumping on her comfy bed just to get her lazy up. The two sat on their seats which were not too near the back of the room. Minutes after, their professor slowly walked inside, recorded their attendance, and started discussing.

 

"Let us consider the case shown in the figure on the board. The base-emitter junction is forward biased (VE > VB) whereas the base-collector junction is reverse biased (VB > VC). Note that the shaded regions represent the depletion figures...”

 

The class was boring like it always was. Most of the students were busy doing other things such as doodling, talking to each other, and staring outside the window, while the others were just sleeping. Some though were really attentive on the discussion and even took notes.

 

On the other hand, the two best friends were just the same as the others were. No not the others who were good students but those who doesn’t care about the amplitude, conductors and rectifiers.

 

Hayi rested her chin on her palm and watched her seatmate sleep. Raising her brow, she noticed that Suhyun was not sleeping but instead staring at the ground. She poked the oblivious Suhyun and when the latter looked at her direction she grinned.

 

“What?” Suhyun asked as if she was disturbed on her daydream.

 

“Nothing,” Hayi shrugged. “Why aren’t you listening to Mrs. Hwang?”

 

The former scoffed as if she was asked a very sarcastic question. “Why should I listen? It would just lull me to sleep and I don’t want to get caught like that one,” she said and referred to Donghyuk who was standing and being embarrassed in front of the whole class.

 

The room became quiet except for the soft low voice of their professor. Different from their other professors like the young and fresh Mr. Choi, Mrs. Hwang was already a seventy year old woman who still doesn’t has plans of retiring.

 

Hayi passed a note to Suhyun. ‘What’s your next class?’

 

The latter replied and returned the paper to her seatmate. ‘A fifteen-minute break, why?’

 

Instead of replying back, Hayi crumpled the tiny paper and threw it on the person two chairs across her. Bingo. It hit the head of the standing Donghyuk and she made faces when he looked to where it came from, Donghyuk just scowled at her.

 

*****

 

“So what happened?” Hayi asked Suhyun when they got out of the room. The class started making noise not long after Donghyuk was humiliated but the professor just let it slide. She could not make everyone love what she’s teaching anyway.

 

“What what happened?” Suhyun asked back.

 

“Your report, I mean. You were busy throughout the week and didn’t even talk to me. I am kinda hurt you know.” Hayi said while acting like she’s offended because her friend wasn’t present when she needed her, like shopping times.

 

“Oh yeah about that, I’m sorry. It turned great though, Jinhwan really pulled the two of us.” The taller said whilst smiling and remembering their Statistics class last Thursday when they presented the theories of probability. It was evident in their professor’s face that she was satisfied and very amused to the outcome of Jinhwan and her hard work.

 

“Hmm... Jinhwan, I see.” The shorter said. Grinning and nodding as if she was pointing something out.

 

“What?” Suhyun looked at her.

 

“Nothing,” Hayi said again. “It just seemed like the two of you are getting close these days.”

 

“W-what!? O-of course we are, we became partners for the report.” Suhyun said, her face turning tomato.

 

Hayi gradually turned her face to the opposite direction to where her friend was. “Partners, yes partners,” she whispered as if she was talking to someone other than Suhyun.

 

Suhyun groaned, “Yah! Jinhwan and I were only friends. No more, no less. Got that?”

 

“Woah, hunny why are you so defensive? But okay though, whatever you say Suhyun, whatever you say.” Hayi grinned at Suhyun and the latter could only laugh at her amusement.

 

“You just did not use my words against myself, huh.”

 

“Oh, I guess I just did.”

 

They were on their way upstairs to get to their own classes which were only two rooms far when they were stopped by Jiwon in front of them.

 

“Hi.” The boy greeted the two of them shyly.

 

“H-hi.” Hayi stammered.

 

“You have a class?” He asked her; apparently Jiwon wasn’t aware of Suhyun’s presence.

 

“Uh yes I have one. It will start anytime soon.” She said, also not minding her friend who was tugging her sleeve.

 

“Oh, see you around then. I’m also running late. Bye!” He grinned apologetically and ran off before Hayi could even return his goodbye.

 

Suhyun peeked at her friend’s flushed face and smirked. “What the hell was that?” She inquired sarcastically and began to imitate the previous conversation she just saw.

 

“Hi”

 

“Hi”

 

“Do you have a class?”

 

“Ehehe yes I have one.”

 

“See you around then. I’m running late too.”

 

She mimicked teasingly but the girl beside her wasn’t even paying attention. Grabbing Hayi’s shoulder she shook the latter.

 

“W-what?”

 

Hayi asked as she saw the smirking inquiring face of her friend.

 

“It’s nothing.” She defended and looked at her wristwatch. “Oh would you look at that it’s already class time. I’m gonna go now, bye!”

 

Suhyun could only chuckle at her friend’s response. “Whatever you say Hayi, whatever you say.” She thought as she went to her next class as well. She was the only rightful one to say those words, she added.

 

*****

 

Days went by; Hayi has no chance of avoiding Jiwon for every time they met the latter always acknowledged her. They shared a few hi’s and hello’s yet the dialogue hasn’t deepened because they were either in a hurry for the next class, already has plans for the rest of the day, or there’s a shift at the café.

 

But exclude this day from those since today Jiwon asked Hayi out for a date-scratch that- a brunch because this time when they met at the corridors they both realized that they both have two hours of vacant time. Hayi could not reject the offer though, her tummy was aching and it’s free food! Who wouldn't want that?

 

“Good morning ma’am and sir, may I take your orders?” A waitress appeared with a small pad and pen. Jiwon brought her to a stylish restaurant not too much far from the university.

 

Both of them were eyeing the menu and waiting for someone to order first. Jiwon glanced at Hayi and smiled.

 

“Come on, what do you want?”

 

Hayi was reticent; it was their first time going out together after god knows how long and it’s on a fancy diner and was all under Jiwon’s check. She timidly ordered a few items that weren’t that costly.

 

“I’ll have sea carbonara and a glass of sprite please.”

 

Jiwon looked at her with bewilderment. “Really, that is all?”

 

Hayi exhaled. “Okay, also a serving of your soup for the day and a banana split for dessert.” She turned to the boy in front of her. “Happy?”

 

Jiwon sniggered, amusement still visible on his face. “Yeah, that’s more like Hayi.” She could only roll her eyes.

 

“I’d order the same thing too,” he looked at the waitress who nodded as she listed and recited their orders before getting the menu books and leaving.

 

“So...” Jiwon flexed his two hands and opted to start their first ever conversation. This time he’s sure it wouldn’t be cut off by a phone call, his friends, or anything. “What’s up?”

 

The two thick brows of Hayi met in confusion, what’s up? Really, now?

 

Jiwon noticed what it meant to Hayi and rephrased the question. “I mean, how have you been?” Shoot Jiwon! Such carelessness! His thoughts scolded him.

 

“Oh, right. Yes, yes, I’m alright fine thank you.” Hayi said and almost palmed her face for a stupid answer.

 

“That’s good to know."

 

A moment of silence; nobody talked after that. Awkwardness filled the air while the two waited for their food. Hayi fiddled on the utensils while Jiwon played with his phone.

 

Hayi couldn't take it any longer. God knew how many were the things she wanted to ask him, and now the chance was given, she'll be an idiot to not take it.

 

She inhaled all the courage she needed and spoke without trying to stutter.

 

"Why, why did you come back?"

Jiwon almost dropped his phone from what he just heard. He knew the question was coming at a time, but never had he thought she will ask it after an awkward silence.

 

Shifting from his seat, Jiwon stopped playing with his phone and placed it beside him. He cleared his throat and formed the explanation inside his head. It's funny how he had already prepared what he's supposed to say to her and everything but now that's it was happening, all of the months and weeks of preparing for it was nothing but a trash.

 

Hayi was looking straight at him, eager to hear what he's going to say. Would he change the topic? Would he answer earnestly? What if he's not gonna stay here for good? What the hell why are you thinking about that Hayi? Those were the forming thoughts in her head. Her heart is pounding like any minute now it will burst from her chest and go to Jiwon. What the!?

 

"It has been what, three years right?" He asked; chuckling to lighten the atmosphere. "I missed this place; the Korean language, the street foods; the bus downtown; even the weekly drama episodes, it to be in an all English-speaking country too, you know."

 

Hayi nodded, somehow she wasn't satisfied with his reason, and it feels as if she's waiting for something. Aish, cut it out pabo!

 

"So that's the reason why you came back?"

 

"Excuse me ma'am and sir, but here are your orders." A handsome looking tall waiter butted in their conversation. He, whose nametag showed his name was Lee Seunghoon, put down the two's plates and bowed before leaving.

 

They began to chow down the food, Hayi sipping the Nido soup while Jiwon slurping the flavorful noodles.

 

"Mmm.." Jiwon nodded to the latter's question. He could not talk since his mouth was busy chewing the food; he doesn't even want to try talking with a mouthful, he's not that impolite.

 

"Also, my mum told me to go back here and finish my college here. Since sooner or later I'll be the one manning the store." He added. Her mother started a small business before; they sell make-up products and girl-related stuffs. The business became a hit though.

 

"Oh that's good. So that is why you are taking business administration, I see."

 

Their brunch went smoothly. Hayi and Jiwon had their chance to catch up on each other. Hayi told him that she's taking Landscape Architecture which surprised the other; he thought Hayi was a hopeless case in the field of Mathematics. But she could draw beautiful sceneries though, yet it still doesn't change the fact that Hayi and Math was not a good match. Jiwon received a not-so-painful slap in his arm after that.

 

"Thanks for the brunch," she said and smiled at him as they walked towards where his car was parked.

 

"It's nothing. I'm really glad we had this time." Jiwon grinned back and glanced beside him, he saw a car was about to take a turn and they happened to be in the middle of the road.

 

"Hayi look out!"

 

Jiwon pulled Hayi just in time as the speedy car drifted to the left and drove far away from them.

 

"Woah, that was close."

 

They stayed in that position for a moment; his arms holding her like they were almost hugging, staring at each other and both were not even blinking. They were so close they could feel each other's muffled breaths and pants.

 

It was a picturesque moment, like those scenes where Choi Youngdo held Nam Eunsang to prevent her from falling on the pool, or like when Jang Hyesung almost got him by a running car in the middle of the pedestrian lane and she's lucky because Park Sooha pulled her to make her safe.

 

But like those too, Youngdo intended for his hands to slip causing Eunsang to fall, and Hyesung snapped and broke away from the Sooha's grasp, Hayi realized their position was and how awkward it was so she immediately stood properly and Jiwon did the same.

 

"Eh, uhm." Hayi don't know whether to thank him because if not for him she would have been hit by that careless driver and would have been lying down on the ground, unconscious and possibly bleeding, or not because it's awkward.

 

"Are you alright? Are you hurt somewhere?" He asked, but the girl only shook her head.

 

"I'm fine. Thank you by the way."

 

They got inside the car and drove back to the university afterwards. The famous awkward air made the both of them uneasy; nobody dared to start a conversation after that.

 


a/n: hi there! I finished this yesterday and only posted this today  because this was the only time I have to surf the net, not because I am busy (well I am kinda though) but because I am not always online like everyday facing the laptop and tweeting and such. Yaaay that is new, congrats to me! Haha. Anyways, do you like this chapter? This is my very very longest really. 3k+ words, wow. It seems like as the story goes on so does the length of my updates lengthen a lot. Hah! Okay whatever, back to the topic, what can you say? Feel free to drop those opinions below. I'm really happy every time I see new comments! I love you guise! :* /sends virtual hugs to all of you.

PS: Did you like those guest appearances? Hahaha! First was TOP, now the other wineo members huehue. Keep an eye for the next possible cameos! Lmao.