10 Ways To Get You Back

사 ~

 


The normal days weren't normal anymore for Hayi. Ever since that night, she became concious of Jiwon's arrival. Much more on that was she realized late that he was also enrolled in the same university as hers. Every time she walked alone on the crowded hallways of the campus, she never forgot hearing a single chitchat about the guy named Kim Jiwon.

 

"Hey girls, I heard he's enrolled in the college of Business Administration. Such a cutie isn't he?"

 

"Oh my gee! We're in the same building!"

 

"I know right. I even heard that he's taking Business Management or something like that. Omfg, I can't imagine him in corporate attire!"

 

"I am so gonna faint if he's my classmate."

 

He has been the talk of the town and the hot topic between the girls. A korean boy who went home to korea from studying at America for three years. He has a very cool aura girls could not help it but to squeal whenever they saw him around the halls or even at class. Hayi could just roll her eyes.

 

"Before China became the People's Republic of China, the country had undergone on several dynasties. Twelve of them are the famous dynasties: Zhou, Song, Ming, Qing, Han, Sui, Tang, Chin, Xia, Yuan, Chou, Chin. And since we're talking about China here, among those I said, which one affected the country the most?" The history professor asked the class.

 

Hayi looked down on her notes and tried to absorb all the facts. Tapping her pen on the wooden desk, she raised her head which surprised the young professor.

 

"Miss Lee Hayi?" She stood up and smiled confidently.

 

"Sir, as for me, I think the Qing dynasty created a huge impact on the country." The man in front nodded, "and why is that so?"

 

"Although my choices are Han, Tang, Song and Qing dynasty, I still think Qing dynasty had developed an empire that is one of the greatest there was. Han and Tang have been prominent because of their strong military force, which enabled them to defeat the barbarians threatening them; and Song has been a dynasty that was very economically strong; but, the Qing dynasty had both of the two. Not only that," Hayi paused and glanced at her classmates whose eyes were waiting for her next words. "Emperor Shi Huang Ti was the mastermind of most developments China had. During his time the Silk Road was opened, allowing merchants to trade with the other people beyond the borders of the empire. Not only that, Shi Huang Ti was only fifteen years old when he sat down as emperor. He was younger than all of us." As she finally finished reciting, she smiled and sat down.

 

Everyone around the room was impressed; never have they seen Hayi recite so boldly and confident. She was, before though, but it seemed like in the past few weeks she had been stressed out and over thinking about certain things. Like Jiwon.

 

The professor grinned, his hands slowly clapping three times. "Very good Hayi, you have a very clear point there. I respect your opinion that the Qing dynasty was the most powerful out of the twelve dynasties. It is indeed a tough pick among the four, but since Qing dynasty lasted long. That only proves that they have been a great empire."

 

Hayi nodded. She was proud of her performance a while ago. Guess that's what happens when you prepared for a class.

 

The man began to discuss about the notable happenings throughout the dynasties, but before that he turned into Hayi and said: "Oh Hayi? Welcome back," raising his brow as if noting a message.

 

The rest of the day occured just like what happened on History class. Hayi performing better than she did before. Even her classmates was happy about it, of course Hayi saved a lot of asses being burned by the terror teachers. (Except for math though, sad life)

 

"Mmm.. I see you aced the literature exam. Congourwarts," Suhyun said as she chews the cake and doughnut alternately. It's Saturday and she and Hayi have no classes, so the former decided to drop by the Lee's to spend time and yes, to also eat.

 

"Yeah. It's a piece of cake actually," the other said as the bit on a piece of red velvet cake on her plate. "What the hell Suhyun. Don't talk while chewing, and eat like a girl! Aish, chincha."

 

Suhyun grabbed the soda on her right and gulped it all until a few were left. "Sorry." She wiped with a tissue napkin she found on her bag, which was kinda surprising actually, and leaned on the table to pinch her friend's cheeks.

 

Hayi winced, "ow what the- what's that for?"

 

"I just want to know if you're Hayi. I mean the Hayi who I was with the few days, the daydreaming Hayi, the problematic Hayi. Where did she go?"

 

Hayi just gave Suhyun a confused look and raised her brow. "What are you talking about? I don't get you."

 

The younger rested her chin on her palm and tapped her fingers on the table. "Nothing. It's just that you began acing your subjects again, even performing well at your history from which you recently got a B- on a test. What happened to you?"

 

"Uh, I study before the class starts? Hey, that's not even new."

 

Suhyun's lips formed a smile. "Perhaps are you inspired? Who is it? Oh, it's your ex isn't it?"

 

"Ani, aniyo! Aish, what are you trying to point huh Suhyun. Don't get me started on that one please," Hayi pleaded. It's not like she just got into studying and being normal again in an instant; she just got the weight off her shoulders. The main reason why she felt spaced out for days was Jiwon anyways, and now that her worries were confirmed, instead of being frantic about it she felt... relived?

 

Her friend just put a small smile on her lips before placing their plates on the sink. "Okay, chill dude. Whatever you say Hayi, whatever you say.

 

Hayi scoffed. She really didn't know what to do with her friend. Suhyun never forgets to relate everything happening to her to Jiwon, and when she denies it her friend just shrugs and says the same words. She knew her friend was just cutting the conversation for it to end already, but she knew Suhyun was not convinced. Not even an inch.

 

Suhyun began talking about her statistics subject when Hayi remembered something.

 

"Oh shoot! I still need to pass that goddamned model!" Suhyun was about to ask what is it when Hayi bolted upstairs. " today's the deadline. God I am so dead!"

 

 

Suhyun did not bother to ask what it was, she already knew. She already headed to the couch to get her stuffs ready, since Hayi will go to the university. As soon as she saw her best friend going downstairs, cussing and hastily wearing her shoes she can't help but to sigh, some things will never really change.

 

*****

 

"Thank you ahjussi." Both of them got down the bus as Suhyun paid for the two them. Hayi was holding a huge figure of village with a mountain and some other stuffs Suhyun doesn't understand. All she knew was it was made from styrofoam and it is kinda big that they even took a cab instead of riding the bus.

 

Hayi walked fastly and the other tried to catch up. "Come on, come on." Hayi kept chanting as she gaze on her watch, it's 2:51 in the afternoon and the cutoff time was in nine minutes. She better be like dash in the incredibles or else she'll fail her subject.

 

"Wait, what class is that for by the way?" Suhyun asked while panting. Although she wanted to stop her friend from walking so fast she can't, because Hayi might shout on her. Helpless, she followed Hayi get to the faculty room.

 

"It's for my geo class."

 

They were in front of the elevator waiting for the lift when someone called them.

 

"Oh? Jinhwan oppa," Suhyun smiled at the approaching man. "Hey girls, do you have any classes?"

 

"We don't have classes today," Suhyun replied almost instantly.

 

Jinhwan asked,  "then why are you two here?"

 

"Because Hayi needs to drop off her geo project. Deadline's in six minutes," she replied after looking at her watch. 2:54 pm.

 

Jinhwan nodded, "ah so that explains why she looks like that." The two laughed which caught the other's attention.

 

"Hey, Jinhwan oppa."

 

"Hi Hayi. I see you are in a rush," Hayi nodded and the elevator door opened; she got inside in a flash. Suhyun was about to do the same when Jinhwan called her.

 

"Ah, eh, Suhyun c-can we go over for a coffee now? I mean you're not busy right?" The boy said while sratching the nonexistent itch on his nape.

 

Suhyun's cheeks turned red. "E-ehh? Yes I'm free." She tried her best to sound casual.

 

"Good. Let's go? We need to talk about our reporting." Jinhwan bore a smile of relief which kinda lose Suhyun's smile. She was expecting it was a date, but it was actually a meeting for their statistics reporting. Their professor appointed the two of them as the pair who'll discuss the ratio and theories of probability that needs to be reported same day next week.

 

Suhyun turned around to see the lift already gone. Hayi already left. Maybe she hasn't noticed that Suhyun wasn't able to ride the elevator.

 

"Hm, I guess I have no choice then." And the two went to the nearest cafe and had a date, uh, talked about their upcoming reporting.

 

Meanwhile as soon as the metal doors of the elevator opened at the fifth floor, Hayi ran as fast as she could. It was good that it was mostly class time so there are only few people loitering around the corridors. She made a quick left turn and knocked on the door three blocks after making a turn.

 

She got in and peeked to see if her professor was there. She let out a sigh of relief as soon as she saw the young man sitting on his cubicle and typing in front of his computer.

 

She walked towards where he was and saw the metallic name plate placed on his cluttered desk. Professor Choi Seunghyun.

 

"S-sir," Hayi said while panting. She never had run like that for a while, like a dog running after a thief. Maybe she need to exercise, a thought came in her mind.

 

The geo professor stopped typing and turned his swivel chair to the right where Hayi was. "Miss Lee Hayi." The way he said her name made Hayi blush but it wasn't her priority because she's nervous. "What brought you here?" The man who is not yet on his thirties asked even though he already know her purpose.

 

"I came to pass my structure figure sir."

 

"What time is it already, Hayi?" Prof. Seunghyun asked. Hayi looked at the digital clock placed on his desk beside the nameplate. She fidgeted, "3:02 pm s-sir."

 

He nodded, "so that just means?"

 

"I am late."

 

"Which also means.."

 

"You will not accept my work." Hayi looked down. Oh, two minutes! Time is indeed gold.

 

His professor smirked, "precisely. You can go now and rest, it seems like you joined a race."

 

Hayi still placed the styrofoam figure on his professor and said, "can I have any reconsideration please?" She looked like a mess. Strands of her sticking out from her ponytail and sweat visible on her face.

 

"We'll see about that Miss Lee. Now can you pick your stuffs, I already had my desk to deal with."

 

Hayi bowed, turned around and walked around the exit but before doing so she said to his professor, "thank you sir. I think you should have it, I really don't want to go home carrying that."

 

Her professor could only smile at her persistence.

 

*****

 

Hayi was in a bad mood. How could she forget that damned figure? She already got it prepared and even told her mom she'll be off to the university after lunch to pass it but she forgot to do so. Oh, she could only wish her professor was kind enough to give a consideration. A three page essay was fine just as long as she got anything not lower that B+. Why would she forget such an important task anyway? Yes, it was because Suhyun barged in her house without her knowing. Speaking of that girl, where could she be?

 

Hayi turned around to see if a girl with a long brown hair wearing a pullover was around. None. "Where did that girl go?" Hayi fished for her phone in her pockets to message her friend.

 

Hayi: Yah! Eodisseo? TT TT

 

Waiting for a reply, she got down and opted to go home. She even thought of going to the mall with Suhyun but she dismissed it; she already ran a lot to exhaust her unathletic body.

 

It took a while before her phone buzzed. She opened her inbox and saw Suhyun's reply.

 

Suhyun: Mian, I'm at the coffee shop with Jinhwan oppa. (Just to clear things out, it's not a date okay?)

 

Hayi chuckled. She guess she'll be leaving alone then.

 

Hayi: Arasso. I'll go home now. Prof Choi-handsome didn't accept my effing work. TT TT TT OKay I get it, you don't need to be so defensive :P

 

She went to the university's exit gate to go home or maybe buy herself an ice cream to cheer her up? Nah, she's saving her money to buy a new shirt.

 

"Ow."

 

"Sorry."

 

On her way to the bus stop, someone overtook her and accidentally bumped her arm. She was about to shout for being so clumsy at the man dashing off and looking like he's in a hurry when he realized who it was.

 

"Jiwon." 

 

Ironically it was Jiwon whom she bumped into, not only once but twice. And he he also said the same words, thrice.

 

The young boy heard his name was called and when he turned around to see who it was, he saw no one familiar. "Eh?" He scratched his head. Even people on the streets recognize him, was he even that famous?

 

As Jiwon's facade was nowhere to be seen, Hayi got out from hiding on the fish cake stand. She accidentally said his name quite loudly and she was nervous that she'll get caught.

 

She breathed a heavy sigh and pounded her heart. It's beating loudly and fastly. That was close.

 


a/n: hey awesome people! I finally updated! Yehey to me. This is the fastest update in the record and the longest to. I really do not write reallyyy long chapters so I am sorry if this is still short for you. Anywayyssss, I finally graduated from high school! Congratulations to me!! In five months I'll see myself in college like Hayi. Huehue. So, what can you say anput the fourth chapter? Ooohh Hayi. :))