십팔

10 Ways To Get You Back

~ 십팔 ~

 

One of the happiest mornings of all was waking up on a weekend morning; no classes to bother ahead, no stress, just entire relaxation and restoration of oneself due to the past taxing week.

 

That kind of morning was what Hayi loves the most.

 

Opening her eyes, the sunlight breakthrough her baby blue curtain folds, hitting her eyes, making her blink once or twice before it could adjust to the sudden brightness brought by the sun.

 

She sat up and stretched her arms; it has been a great sleep. Hayi yawned like a cub that had just woken up from its mother’s hold. She stared at the ceiling for a good two minutes before breaking a smile and getting up from the bed.

 

It has been a habit to check her phone once she’s gotten up and as she did, the screen showed a few Kakao messages: one from her classmate, talking about their group project; another from Suhyun with just a grinning emoji; and of course, Jiwon texted too, just a few ‘good night sleep tight’ plus emoji and a ‘good morning’ greeting too.

 

She beamed a huge smile that reached her ears, put the phone back on the bed, and went to the bathroom to once again perform her daily ritual.

 

“Cha, let’s make this day worth it!”

 

She got downstairs afterwards and her mom’s voice welcomed her.

 

“What is it? Oh, okay. Arasso, I’ll check on it later.”

 

Her mom saw her and Hayi went to kiss the older on the cheek as a good morning greeting; the latter went to the kitchen to check what’s inside the refrigerator.

 

“Alright, make sure to pass it to me before dawn so I could return it to you tomorrow.” Hayi’s mother ended the phone call and went to the cupboard to get her daughter’s mug.

 

“Who’s that?” Hayi asked her mother when the latter handed her a hot chocolate.

 

“It’s my assistant. You have no classes today right? Some plans?” The older lady got the bread from the toaster.

 

“Nothing, I’m just gonna stay here all weekend.” Hayi shrugged and ate a piece of toasted bread. Her mother went upstairs while the former finished her breakfast.

 

As soon as she’s done, Hayi placed the dishes on the washer and went to the couch. Snuggling the cute throw pillow, she opened the television and browsed for interesting shows; eventually, she settled on watching a cooking game show.

 

“I’m going.” Her mother said when she was done fixing her bag that even Hayi didn’t notice; the latter was too engrossed on watching the cooking scene.

 

She nodded nevertheless when her mother told her she’s leaving yet her eyes were still glued on the screen.

 

“If you ever go out make sure to lock all the doors and the lights and electricity—”

 

“I know mom. I wouldn’t go out anyways.” She cut her mother off. Mothers do really habits of reminding their children of some housekeeping stuffs when they will leave.

 

“Aigoo, you should go out more often on weekends!” Her mother yelled; she was already at the garage and about to start the car.

 

“Naeeee, omma annyeong!” Hayi shouted back. The car engine started and in a few minutes it dozed off. She sighed and remained watching the show, when it ended Hayi went upstairs and slouched on her bed; reaching out for her laptop, she booted it lazily to watch a drama she just finished downloading.

 

It was the romantic-comedy infused with horror drama entitled ‘Master’s Sun’. She was a big fan of horror and suspense themed movies and dramas, especially those which include blood or something like that; she’s a medicine student so she will handle those kinds of stuff sooner or later so at least she’s prepared.

 

She just began watching the first episode and she never expected this drama to be this funny and fascinating. Episode one turned into episode two, then to episode three, to episode four, up until she doesn’t know what episode it was anymore.

 

Hours also began to pass as she kept watching the drama. It was already noon and her stomach started grumbling; she aided her hunger with a bag of chips she has in her bag which Mino gave to her last night.

 

But soon enough, her stomach’s growl became unbearable for the body of a nineteen year old girl. She hesitantly paused the ongoing episode eight and went downstairs to have her late lunch.

 

However, when she opened the fridge, she found nothing for a meal; it only has a couple of raw vegetables, fresh milk, butter, and a note. Hayi picked the yellow stick-on memo and read its content.

 

“Hayi, I forgot to do some groceries last night. I ought of doing it later but I still have an appointment and I’ll arrive late. Would you mind doing it for me? I left money underneath the shoe rack plus the list of what to buy. Oh, I also added some money for your lunch and fare. PS: You should get out of that house on weekends, really. Love, mom.”

 

After reading the long note, Hayi’s mouth fell wide open and she still hasn’t absorbed the whole message until a good few seconds she finally understood and all she could say was:

 

“WHAT ON EARTH MOM!!”

 

She went to the shoe rack to check if her mother really placed the money underneath and she really did; it came with a list and Hayi had no choice but to follow her mom’s request.

 

“Bwoyah! Aish,” She kept on mumbling as she changed clothes; before going out she turned her laptop off and locked everything that needed to be locked.

 

Mom had this all planned huh, she thought. She got out of the street and called a cab, telling the driver to drop her at the nearest mall.

 

The moment she got off, she immediately searched for a restaurant to have her late lunch; she entered a well-known pizza resto and looked for a place to sit.

 

“There she is!” She heard a guy say. Hayi didn’t mind it and continue looking for an available spot but turns out every table is full. She was about to walk out when someone waved at her.

 

Her eyes went agape as she noticed it was Yunhyeong, continuously waving at her, smiling like an idiot with a pissed girl beside.

 

“Honey, where have you been? Are you looking for me?” He said, a bit flirty, which made Hayi surprised.

 

Hayi gave a ‘what the are you saying did you just called me honey’ look on Yunhyeong, who just remained grinning at her.

 

When she reached the two, Yunhyeong’s arms circled around Hayi’s waist and she swore to god that she would murder him here, right now, if he keeps his arms around her for a good second.

 

“Who is she?” Hayi asked, referring to the girl in front of her who was already red and smoking from anger.

 

“I should ask you that, . Who the hell are you?” The stranger snapped back which widened Hayi’s eyes. Did she just call me a !?

 

Hayi inhaled an air of peacefulness before answering calmly.  “I’m Lee Hayi. Now who are you?” She retorted a bit sarcastically because that’s not really what the girl wanted to know.

 

The former looked up to Yunhyeong and whispered, “Get your arms off me, ert.” The young man smiled apologetically and loosened his arms around her. “Sorry,” he said.

 

“I mean, what is your relationship with Yoyo oppa?” The pretty girl with a porcelain skin and pink lipstick asked again.

 

Hayi sighed and crossed her arms, “you aren’t answering my question missy.”

 

The young girl frowned, “okay, okay, I’m Park Jaehee. Now answer my question, are you two dating?”

 

Hayi laughed at the question because she found it ridiculous. The girl was taken aback by Hayi’s laugh but she took it as an insult nonetheless.

 

“Are you crazy? That’s absurd!” She stopped laughing and looked at the poor girl who was lost at the moment.

 

“I am Yunhyeong’s friend.”

 

“She’s my girlfriend.”

 

Both of them said. The two girls’ eyes enlarged after hearing what Yunhyeong said. The young man, although being stabbed by the looks of the maidens as of the moment, did not falter and glanced at Jaehee.

 

“I’ve been dating her for a while now and it would definitely last. Would you please leave? We’re about to eat.”

 

He stated as if it was a matter of fact which left the two flabbergasted. Jaehee was humiliated about the whole lie while Hayi was quietly boiling her anger.

 

“I won’t let you two pass! You’re mine oppa!” She said and ran away towards the exit. People were looking at the crying girl and the two who were left here inside the restaurant.

 

When Jaehee left, Yunhyeong heaved a heavy sigh as he was successful of getting off the poor girl’s hold. He sat down and called the waiter.

 

“You can sit down you know.” He said to her so-called girlfriend who was still standing, eyes almost popping out of her face.

 

She slapped his arms when she grasped everything that has happened just a few minutes ago.

 

“What the was that about!?” She asked and sat down when she realized she had shouted loudly that the other customers were already giving her the looks.

 

Yunhyeong shrugged and replied nonchalantly, “what? Oh that one? I just want to let that girl away from me, which is by the way, I credit you for that.”’

 

“What!?” Hayi couldn’t help it but to raise her voice again. “You should have said it nicely to her so you wouldn’t have involved me.”

 

The waiter attended them and they both recited their orders like they have memorized a poem to be presented in a class. The man on the uniform listed everything on a piece of paper and said the order will be ready in fifteen minutes.

 

“Okay back to the topic,” Hayi said when the waiter left. “Care to explain what that was about?”

 

Yunhyeong took a sip of iced tea that another waiter had served them a while ago, “fine.” He said and told everything about that Jaehee girl and him.

 

“She’s the one I’m talking to you about before, you know the clingy girl. I thought if I changed my number she would stop contacting me but I was completely wrong. She found a way to get my new number and she even goes at our university to see me. She’s an insane stalker! I already told her to leave me alone yet she won’t listen. That’s why when I went here to eat she followed me and that’s where you also came into the scene and that’s it.”

 

Yunhyeong was done talking and all Hayi could do was nod and say, “awww poor Yunhyeongie, that’s your fault for being such a playboy.”

 

The other could just heave a sigh and stay quiet. He never thought the girl he just met at a bar would be so attached to him.

 

“I guess I can’t help it, my charms are so addicting.” He proudly said. “By the way, the check’s on me I really want to treat you for helping me out there.”

 

“I did not help you.”

 

“You did, don’t you want to eat for free?”

 

“I do.”

 

Exactly at fifteen minutes, their orders arrive. Both have a pan of pizza and a small plate of lasagna for Yunhyeong and carbonara for Hayi. They started inhaling the foods on the table and did not talk as if they were mad at each other. When they were done, Yunhyeong asked for the bill and they got out of the restaurant.

 

“So, where would you go next?” He asked, feeling his stomach enlarge as he had just felt good eating a good meal.

 

Hayi looked at him weirdly, “you got other plans of your own right? I’m going to the supermarket.” She said and went away from Yunhyeong, and towards the market. Yunhyeong saw her walking already so he ran over to catch her.

 

“Yah, are you the one stalking me now?” Hayi asked as she noticed that he was now on pace with her.

 

“Me? Your stalker? Are you serious? I should be called admirer then.” He bragged.

 

“Why is that so, have you already fallen for my charms?” Hayi eyed him sideways, a smirk etching on her lips.

 

“B-bwoyah! Are you nuts? My kind of girl is pretty, soft-spoken, and y; while you... hmmm... you’re nothing close with my criteria. Sorry.”

 

Hayi stopped walking for a brief moment to hit Yunhyeong for his teasing; the latter winced at her unexpected blow.

 

“Whatever, I don’t intend to be on your ‘girlfriends list’ anyway.” Hayi snapped and started walking, assuming that Yunhyeong will leave but of course, he tagged along. They finally arrived at the store and he got the cart for her. Hayi grabbed every item on her mom’s golden list while the other was pushing the cart and trailing behind. She also added stuffs like chips, powdered juice, and ramen for her own delight. The list was done and the cart was full and all they need to do was to wait for their turn on the long line that stretches to North Korea.

 

At what it seemed like forever, it was their turn; the cahier scanned each item and Hayi paid for it afterwards. The bagger also finished packing everything into the paper bags.

 

“What?” Yunhyeong asked as Hayi was looking at her, one brow up.

 

“No,” he immediately said when he reckoned her hidden message.

 

“Oh come on, you’re the man between us.” Hayi beamed a smile to which the other frowned.

 

“I never thought you consider yourself as a girl.” He said and he received another slap on his arms, this time on the other side. “Ow, do you know that effing hurts!?”

 

“You want this, or that?” She said referring to her hands; Yunhyeong shrugged and carried the two heavy paper bags with him. “Of course I’ll carry this, I’m just kidding you know.”

 

They got out of the supermarket; Hayi was on her way out towards the mall’s exit when Yunhyeong stopped him.

 

“Hep, hep, where are you going?”

 

“Home, why?” Hayi replied, a bit annoyed since she badly wants to return to her beloved bed and watch the next episode of Master’s Sun.

 

“Help me a bit here please. Convince her,” Hayi looked around and spotted the girl before, sitting on the tables of the smoking place of Starbucks with her shades on; heck it wasn’t even sunny at all.

 

She sighed as she realized that Jaehee was eyeing the two of them, probably using the shades as a cover up for staring at them. Was she also there inside the store a while ago? Hayi couldn’t help but to be curious. She’s gotten a diploma at stalking after all.

 

Hayi let out a sigh and forced a smile. “Hey babe, where are we going next? I already told you that we should buy these last, see... it looks like you’re having a hard time.” She clung her arms on Yunhyeong’s which sent the latter off-guard, totally surprised at her sudden actions, almost letting the paper bags fall on the ground.

 

“W-what are you doing?” Yunhyeong whispered, his face still stretching a fake smile.

 

“Acting, what do you think?” Hayi rolled her eyes since they were now on their back against the stalker. “You’re really dead meat Yunhyeong.” She gritted her teeth, knowing that she’ll spent a few more hours here at the mall with her friend slash now pretend boyfriend, acting like a couple, to lure the diligent Jaehee.

 

And like what she predicted they indeed spent hours going around the mall like they were on a date; going to the branded shops because of Yunhyeong’s request and going at the arcades as if they were kids. They only stopped when they saw his stalker about raised the white flag and went out of the mall.

 

“I had fun.” He said when they already called for a cab and the driver was putting the grocery bags inside the car.

 

“Well I did not.” I should be home a few hours ago, aish. Hayi said and rode the taxi. She opened the car’s window before the driver started driving. “You’ll pay for this.” And the cab drove away.

 

“Bye.” Yunhyeong said when the car was not in sight. He started grinning like an old fool before heading his way home.

 


a/n: I would update another filler chapter on Sunday (depends on my mood hehe). So this is three straight filler chapters, don't you worry though I would make up for all of your deprived feels jk. HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY PH!!

I would love to know your thoughts :-)