이십사

10 Ways To Get You Back

~ 이십사 ~

 

A week has passed, and now it’s already New Year’s eve. The rest of the bunch celebrated with their families, while Hayi and her mom commemorated the holiday on Suhyun’s household. It has been a tradition they used to do, since they are only two in their family, Suhyun’s parents thought it might be better to celebrate with them. After all, they say the more, the merrier.

A feast of foods was on the table; the two moms made an effort to prepare a delightful and scrumptious meal to welcome the New Year. Various cuisines, from traditional kimchi stew to western spaghetti are available, making the kids salivate in hunger. With a live broadcast from a television channel, the two families happily did a count down from ten, each of them holding a sparkling stick.

“Six, five, four, three, two, one... Happy New Year!”

As all of them greeted each other, series of fireworks display began to appear on the blank dark sky. The parents and their children exchanged hugs, which were only upon the request of the former, the kids have no choice but to do so, it’s New Year anyway. Hayi and Suhyun also met in a tight embrace, squeezing each other in glee.

“Happy New Year eonnie!” Suhyun giggled, earning a playful smack from Hayi.

“Yah, don’t call me that! I’m still young you know.”

“But you’re turning twenty this year, how is that young?” The younger asked jokingly, making Hayi pout in defeat. Chanhyuk joined them afterwards, saying that he feels so left out since the elders are enjoying a bottle of wine and he doesn’t have a guy friend to bond with. Hayi, then, remembered something and quickly rushed to the table full of foods.

“Do you need help?”

Hayi glanced at her side, seeing Suhyun with a Tupperware on her hand, grinning and wiggling her brows up and down. She ignores the latter and resumes packing a few foods on plastic containers.

Suhyun scoffed, “Oh come on, Lee Hayi. I know why you are doing this. Can I help?” She smiled widely, leaving Hayi no choice but to let her best friend help her pack. The former even got her a large bag enough to put in the containers of foods. Suhyun patted her friend’s shoulders after zipping the backpack.

“Go now. I’ll tell the elders you’re in my room already, or whatever, they’re busy drinking anyway. Have fun!”

Hayi sneered at Suhyun’s last remark but smiled nonetheless, mouthing a thank you to her best friend. She exited the Lee’s household and walked along the icy streets of the noisy neighborhood with a destination in mind.

 

 

After a few turns and walks, Hayi finally reached her destination. A house that is different from the others welcomed her sight. It is different, since it is the only house not in a festive mood to celebrate the change of year. Hayi contemplated on whether or not continue, but she went on, she’s already here anyway.

The house was dark. There were no lights opened, nor even a Christmas light hanging on the fences and whatnot. Hayi was about to open to call someone, but she noticed that the gate was open. With a quizzical look, Hayi opened the gate silently and went for the main door, only to find out that, like the gate, it was unlocked. Her heart began to pummel louder as fear started enveloping her system. She kept a steady face, in case she sees something inappropriate. Trudging her way upstairs, she noticed that nobody was home. She’s trespassing!

About to leave and act as if she hasn’t done anything illegal, a sound of a can hitting the cold floor echoes. The sound seemed to come from above; Hayi, then, realized that there’s someone home. Making a quick left, she entered the room she sees, her footsteps light. She reached for the familiar room’s windowpane and slid the huge window on her left, revealing a fantastic view of the neighborhood on a rooftop.

“There you are,” Hayi whispered, releasing a long exhale after unconsciously holding her breath as she entered the room. She saw a man sitting quietly on the wooden mat, a few cans of beer beside. She approached the man and sat beside him, confiscating the can of beer on his hand.

“Oh my god you scared the out of me!” The other screams, making Hayi laugh. “What are you doing here? You are supposed to be in your home and celebrate with your family—” she doesn’t let him finish and puts down the heavy bag she has been wearing.

“God, that’s quite heavy. Annyeong Jiwon-ah! Happy New Year!” Hayi opened the bag and carefully placed the pots of food on the mat, Jiwon’s eyes watching her in silence. “Yah, don’t you know it’s bad to drink without eating first? I just figured you’re alone and you probably wanted a company... so, tadah! I’m here to celebrate with you.”

Jiwon watched in amusement as Hayi came prepared with foods and utensils. She handed him a spoon and a bowl of kimchi stew. He smiled as he slurped the hot broth, realizing that it’s her mom’s recipe. Hayi fed her with all the food she has, gulping down as well since she hasn’t eaten yet. Eating silently, the noise from the fireworks displays slowly started to fade.

In a matter of minutes, the two already emptied the containers full of appetizing foods. Jiwon tossed the meatless chicken bone in the garbage bag and laid flat on the Acacia mat.

“Ahh, I’m so full! Thank you for the very delicious meal!” He said and grinned, staring at the starless sky that was full of smoke. Hayi zipped the bag and smiled in satisfaction. “I know you’ll like it. My mom is also a great cook you know. We are a family of cooks,” she boastfully remarked, lying on the mat as well.

He frowned and shrugged, “I can’t attest to that, unfortunately. Your argument is completely valid.” Hayi giggled and he chuckled, both staring at the empty scenery.

“I missed this,” Jiwon said smiling after heaving a sigh. Hayi nodded and replied with a hum. The two spent the midnight talking about anything under the sun, cracking jokes, and laughing hard.

 

/////

 

Bolting upstairs, hands clasped on the handrails, mouthing ‘’ every step was none other than Hayi. Of all times she failed to set up an alarm, she did it today. She woke up late and rushed all the way to the university, knowing that she only have fifteen minutes left before her class starts. It has crossed her mind the question why is she always late, but she only gave a sharp answer, saying she might be cursed; as much as she tried to not be late, circumstances happen, making Hayi tardy.

Unfortunately, second semester has just begun. The three weeks of break was gone in an instant. Most of the students walked their way to their classes as if it was the last thing they wanted to do before ceasing to exist, some even have their eyes barely lit open, treading the marbled floor groggily.

With one final push, Hayi succeeds in entering the classroom a few seconds before the professor. She easily spots a vacant seat on the farthest left of the room, which was very convenient for her; in that spot, the professor wouldn’t notice her doing other things than listening. She puts down her bag and slumps on the plastic chair, yelping a silent scowl after not noticing the chair’s was already broken. She has no choice but to put up with it and fixed herself, wiping the beads of sweat from her forehead and back even if it’s negative five degrees Celsius cold outside.

The professor enters the room shortly after, placing his laptop on the desk and connecting it to the projector, before greeting his students with a small smile.

“Hello students. I am professor Yang Hyun Suk, and I’ll be your professor for this class throughout the semester.”

 

Thankfully, the five-hour long class has ended, and Hayi did not want anything more than to exit the damned room. Judging from the looks, she already knew that her professor for one of her major course is wicked. He kept his hat on for a personal matter and it worried her; she officially concluded that she would not have a happy semester.

Breathing a huge sigh of despair, Hayi slowly sauntered the path to the school’s cafeteria. She needed to eat in order to relieve the stress already piling up on her shoulders. She flinched at the sudden sound and continuous vibration of her phone. Someone messaged her. Checking her phone, she frowned as soon as she saw it was not Jiwon, but rather her best friend who seems to be excited. Very.

Suhyun: OMAGFVSGVDGSVG

Suhyun: LEE

Suhyun: HAYIIIIIII

Suhyun: $#@!*$*#@*(@*#@

Suhyun: My best frieeeeeeeeend

Suhyun: OMYGDOOANUEHDHBAD

The consecutive flood of messages stopped and Hayi stared at the screen for a while before tapping the message box to hit reply.

Hayi: Chill. What is it?

Hayi: Omg don’t tell me Jinhwan oppa already confessed to you????

The recipient replied in a lightning speed.

Suhyun: I hope it was but TT TT

Suhyun: I’M HERE AT THE LOBBY COME QUICK!!!!

Suhyun: As in, quick okay! GO!!!!!!!!

Hayi grimaced as she was already in front of the cafeteria’s entrance. She mentally cursed Suhyun for bothering her hunger and she noted as well to strangle her friend if ever the meeting will be not worth her time and effort. Trudging her way towards the lobby, she saw Suhyun with a wide smile plastered on her face. Hayi glares at her.

“What is it? Don’t you know I am supposed to be eating right now but you—”

“Woah, I never thought you’ll still be the same.” Someone cut her while she was talking and Hayi was so sure she’ll put up a fight with that stranger, knowing that she’s in a bad mood today. However, her voice left as she turned agape, eyes widening as she recognized the tall lean figure behind Suhyun.

The stranger waves and giggles at her friend’s priceless reaction. “Annyeong Hayi-ah, long time no see?”

Hayi recovers from shock, jumps over the girl, and locks her in a hug. “Oh my ing god! JANG HANA!”

 


a/n: what's up!!!! hello lovely people! I really do not know if anyone is still reading this, I have put this story on hiatus for roughly seven months. Truth be told, I really do not think of finishing this at all. But then, I finally heard my beloved Hayi's voice after a long time and this my lovely people gave me the drive to update this again. I am really sorry for leaving you all behind, I promise I will finish this.

Anyways~ what can you say? I tried to make it longer but I can't think of annything to add until now, hehe. I want to hear your comments!!! An upvote would be really nice as well *shyly smiles* I will try to update as often as I can, since second semeste has just started. I love you all!!! (If there are any :-((( hahaha)

Here's pretty Yunhyeong for ya'll <3