이십삼

10 Ways To Get You Back

~ 이십삼 ~

 

 Day ⓕⓘⓥⓔ

Another day has begun; it was one of the awaited days of Hayi. She woke up early and greeted the other housemaids, who were inside the house, sweeping the floors, wiping the fixtures, arranging the rooms, and performing other tasks assigned to them. Walking towards the kitchen, she popped a bottle of milk and jugged it on , wiping with her free arm once she’s done.

“Good morning miss,” a housemaid greeted behind her. She turned around and saw that it was, “omo Seulmi imo! You scared me there huh.” Perhaps Hayi hasn’t moved on yet from the incident last night.

Seulmi gave Hayi a pleasant smile, the wrinkles on her eyes were those found on crumpled shirts, which needed a good deal of ironing. She offered to prepare the breakfast for the six but Hayi declined, she wanted to prepare it her own so she dismissed the older because she knew Seulmi still has a lot to do.

Opening the large double-door refrigerator was Hayi, who gathered all the ingredients she could think of for her morning menu. She placed all of those on the counter and reached for the knife and the chopping board. Carefully dicing and shredding the vegetables, the pot began to simmer and she threw those healthy foods on the bubbling bath of chicken stock. While waiting for the soup to cook, she sautéed the pork on the pan and dressed the table well.

Jiwon woke up from the appetizing smell of beef. Still half asleep, he managed to get out of Jinhwan’s tight embrace, as the latter was still on dreamland, perhaps dreaming of Suhyun. His feet walked on its own, towards the kitchen where he saw a girl’s figure busily multi-tasking on the counter.

From the cook’s back, he already knew it was Hayi. Wait... is that Hayi?

Jiwon needed to rub his eyes to confirm the sight. It was indeed Hayi, pouring the stew on the little bowls made of porcelain. He smiled and welcomed the beautiful picture in front of him. It was as if he wakes up with his wife cooking for him breakfast. What a great vision...

Ah bwowanun goya! Jiwon aish! He scolded himself from creating such delusional thoughts. That would never happen, he sadly admitted and went to the kitchen counter.

“Hmmm... it smells nice,” he said as he inhaled almost every scent of the meal. Hayi did not expect someone already awake so she fidgeted yet again, causing the bowl, she was holding to tip and almost fall.

“Hey, careful,” Jiwon reminded her as she placed the white bowl on the counter and sip her skin. “Look, you’re burned. Does it hurt?” He asked and got her hand away from and opened the faucet to let the water wipe the ache away. He tear a piece of kitchen tissue and swabbed dry her hand; all throughout that moment, Hayi was speechless and eyes focused on Jiwon.

“I, I’m fine. Thank you,” she said and snatched her hand away and continued pouring the soup. Jiwon followed Hayi like he was some dog begging for his owner’s attention. “Am I dreaming or something happened?” He asked, teasing Hayi because this deed was so unusual of her. Except when they were still...

“Shut up. Don’t spoil my mood,” Hayi said, elbowing him and making faces.

Jiwon let the thought aside and focused helping her lay the dishes down on the glass table. After a while, the rest woke up as well and they were all surprised with the brunch set on their chairs.

“Wow, Seulmi imo did this?”

“It looks tasty!”

“Porkkkk~”

Jiwon—who was beside the beaming Hayi—coughed to call their attention. “Ani, it was all done by Hayi. She did very well didn’t she?” He said, smiling wide as if he was a proud father over her daughter’s work.

Everyone was delighted and took in the scrumptious meal. Suhyun, who already knew her best friend’s undeniable skills, egged her to shift courses, from medicine to culinary arts; Jinhwan agreed but Hayi only shrugged, cooking will always be her passion yet she loves to be a doctor someday, although she fainted once when they tried dissecting a poor stray cat.

Soon, mealtime ended; Donghyuk volunteered on cleaning the dishes even if a housemaid already insisted she should be the one doing it. The rest grouped on the living room and slouched on the comfy couches; only to be interrupted by some maids holding large boxes and placing those on their area.

“What are those?” Yunhyeong inquired, as the last box was put down and the lady opened the seal.

“It’s Christmas decors, sir. Mrs. Kang told us to bring these down here,” she explained and took her leave afterward.

“That’s odd, why would halmoni do that?” Jiwon was confused. What day is it already?

Hayi launched a small pillow at him and scoffed, “aigoo seems like someone left his calendar in Seoul.” Jiwon was about to reply with a frown when it hit him. “Oh so tomorrow is...”

She rolled her eyes and smirked, “wow, it took you long enough. Come on let’s decorate this house!”

They opened the boxes and found various decorations for the Christmas that will arrive in less than thirteen hours from now. Jinhwan saw a large leave-less tree outside, in front of the porch, and said it could be a good substitute for a Christmas tree instead using the plastic one, which still needs to be arranged. Everyone agreed and they transferred all the stuffs outside to began their activity.

“Donghyuk-ah, the ladder please,” Hayi requested and the young man gave her the long wooden ladder. She thanked him, began fixing the ladder, and went up to furnish the tree’s top.

“Yah, yah, yah, I think I should be doing that.” Jiwon kept on commenting that she should go down and he should be the one going up the ladder. “You might fall Hayi-ah,” he said, concern evident on his voice.

Although Hayi was already blushing on her insides, she cleared and stretched her hand to Jiwon’s direction. “Shut up, I can do this. Why won’t you help me and hand me the balls?”

Because Hayi was a hardheaded girl, Jiwon had no choice but to follow her commands. He shook his head and did what he was told, he handed the Christmas balls and other decorations to Hayi every time the latter draw out her arms.

The peak of the highest branch was hard to reach so Hayi attempted to lean in further to be able to attach the little stars on top of it; but she suddenly lost balance and wiggled on the ladder. Already knew she was gonna fall, she tried to grab on the tree’s branch but she failed, so she could only close her eyes and wait for her fall, her back slamming on the hard winter ground.

“Hayi-ah!”

What she had waited did not happen though, because as fast a cheetah, Jiwon’s reflexes caught Hayi’s falling body and safely protected her in his limbs from being hit by the wooden stepladder.

Hayi slowly opened her eyes and she found herself lying on Jiwon’s chest, with the latter breathing raggedly and a drop of sweat falling on his temples even though it was heck cold.

“I, I...” Hayi could not find the words; has something blocking its way.

Jiwon breathed a sigh of relief and looked Hayi, straight in the eyes. “Are you okay? Are you hurt? Where does it hurt?” It seemed like her body was paralyzed and all she could do was to stare at his dark brown orbs, full of worry.

“I’m f-fine. T-Thank you,” she managed to say, her lips tracing an earnest smile; Jiwon helped her stand up.

“D-don’t smile at me like that! I already told you that it’s dangerous yet you still...” he hissed and groaned in frustration. Hayi almost fell! If I wasn’t there then she...

“I’m sorry if I troubled you,” she said, a bit frowning, and promised she wouldn’t dare use the ladder ever again. She gave the responsibility to Donghyuk and left to do the unpacking of the other accessories.

After a few hours, the whole decorating team finished doing the work. The empty lifeless lawn has been turned into a colorful lawn full of Christmas lights and Santa Claus furnishings.

 

❀❀❀

 

“Hand me the onions.”

Yunhyeong requested and Hayi passed the chopped onions to him while skewing the fruits on a stick. It has been also a tradition to celebrate the Christmas Eve and as the ones knowledgeable when it comes to cooking, Yunhyeong and Hayi was all hands in preparing for the feast, leaving the others on salas, watching a movie. This time it’s not a horror movie.

“Oh my,” Hayi uttered closing the refrigerator doors. Yunhyeong glanced at her, his eyes asking ‘what was it’ and she smiled apologetically. “There are no basil and noodles.”

Yunhyeong wasn’t convinced at first, he thought Hayi was only joking; the refrigerator was big and it still lacked the needed ingredient was somehow unbelievable. But Hayi looked serious and he sighed, he could not make the pasta without the noodles of course!

“Ask someone to buy it.”

“I’ll go.”

They both said. Yunhyeong looked at Hayi and breathed a sigh of defeat. “Alright, but go home fast. Pasta would be cooked in a bit.” Hayi got off immediately and asked Jiwon if she could borrow his car because it’s hard to flag a cab in this place. He shook his head no but instead he would come with her.

The trip to the store was somewhat hard, since they were in the most rural part of the province, finding a nearby market was like finding a needle in a haystack. But thankfully, they found one finally and bought the needed ingredients, plus some others that Jiwon insisted on buying. The line was a bit long since some were panic buying; after they bought the goods they immediately ride the car on the way home.

“, , ,” Jiwon kept on mumbling; Hayi was about to ask what was wrong when the car stopped. Her eyes widened in confusion as she tried to realize what happened.

“Are we...”

“My car’s dead,” Jiwon simply said but it really looked serious. He went outside and checked if he could something but minutes passed and he hasn’t done anything useful to the car.

“What happened?” Hayi grew impatient and went out the car as well. Jiwon slammed his fist on the hood, surprising Hayi who was just about to look if she could help.

“I think the battery’s dead, considering winter, it’s cold.” Jiwon concluded and cussed as his palm landed on his face and sighed. “Do you have your phone with you?” He asked Hayi who only shook her head. “I don’t, I was cooking you know.” Her reply only made the situation worse.

“I don’t have mine either. I guess we’ll be stuck here and wait for a cab.” Jiwon’s suggestion was kind of hard; they were on the route were cabs don’t usually pass by. Blame halmoni for building a mansion on an almost isolated village.

The two sat on the elevated part of the sidewalk and sighed, the air visible because of the cold breeze. Nobody was talking, which makes it colder, the night was deep and the stars have shined yet again.

They stayed like that for a while, the calm and peaceful environment, until Jiwon decides to break the ice.

 

❀❀❀

 

"Can I ask you something?" I asked, my heart beating so fast like a cheetah running away from a brawl.

"What is it?" She said, rubbing her palms to generate temporary heat from this cold breeze.

I gulped, it's now or never. "Why, why did you pushed me away before?"

She just stared at me as if I was a criminal and she witnessed what I have done, her eyes opened wide and agape. I bowed my head down because of embarrassment. Why did I ask that? I just spoiled the mood!

"I mean, you, you cannot answer that at all. I was just curious you know but it's alright if you don't want to share it with me, I am fine with—"

"My dad, he was the most amazing that in the world. You know that right? You have met that so many times. You said you liked his cooking, I got my skills from him." She told me when she cut what I was saying a while ago. "I love my father so much, he was closest to me because he was always at home, unlike my mom who always went to work and barely even had a day off. He was more like the wife than my mother, you know." She giggled. I don't know why she's telling me this all of a sudden but I'm all ears.

"We were a great family, we go outings when mom has time, we have fun, and we enjoy each other’s company. We were also not poor or too rich, just enough. My mother was working hard and my father left at home taking care of me. I thought it was okay though, even though fathers were the ones who should be working hard for the family. I thought dad was okay with our set-up too, we're unique, you know." She faintly smiled and looked above; the stars were twinkling like the Christmas lights we assembled a few hours ago.

"We used to love stars right? I always go at your place, eat your mom’s good dinner, and afterwards, stargaze at your rooftop. We even had a contest on who finds more constellations didn't we?" She asked and I nodded. I remember a time when we battled on looking for constellations and I looked at her side, she was so beautiful, I had the urge to kiss her just like that.

She heaved a sigh and slowly her smile started to fade contrasting the sky so bright and full of stars, her face started to look dim.

"That night, when I last went to your place, I went home late. I thought mom and dad were already asleep so I didn't bother calling them out and headed to my room already. But you know, I overheard them talking— no they were more like shouting. Dad was mad at my mom; they were fighting. The reason? Dad's pride. He was sick of doing household chores every single day whereas my mom goes to and forth at the company where she had been recently promoted. I didn't know about that, I don't know. I was shocked of the reality that hit me; we're never a perfect family at all."

"The next day I found out that he was gone, he got out from the house that has been hell to him. I was so sad, very sad. My appa, who was like my best friend left me, without even saying goodbye. I started to become distant to all of you, because I don't want you guys to pity me. I don't like that. And then the news broke out, your family was migrating."

The tears she tried so hard to hold back came rushing like Niagra falls from her eyes. She wiped them instantly and chuckled when I offered him my handkerchief, for the nth time.

"I was... I was so scared that time. When I realized that you, you would leave me too. I thought everyone would leave me anyway. You never told me about that, so the thoughtless conclusions kept piling up inside my head that you don't want to tell me that you will leave me soon because you don’t think I care enough and others like that."

"I never really planned on going anyway." I finally said something, my voice cracked because my throat became dry from the winter air.

"I know," she looked at me, those brown orbs that have me a fool for years. "And I still pushed you away, I'm really really sorry."

My arms encircled her petite figure to console her, and perhaps to share body heat too. "Ssshh... It's okay. You must have had a hard time." I tightened my embrace and she snuggled closer to me. This feels really nice.

"I shouldn't have pushed you away."

"I shouldn't have left."

We both said and laughed at the awkward atmosphere that has risen yet again. Soon, she let go of the hug and we just stared on the sky, silence was okay, it felt warm.

"So... it's your turn to share!" She smirked and I only side-eyed her. "Tell me, how was America? You English boy!"

"Yah! I'm not!" I said in English, which made us both erupt into hiccups of laughter. I told her about my experience living in a foreign land: from adjusting my body clock to its time zone, struggling to fit in with the society, and even learning how to speak English. She laughed and teased me about some things and I just ended up laughing at her. Soon enough, a cab passed by us and we ran over, shouting at the top of our voice box, just to stop the driver. Thankfully, we finally reached home after hours of being stranded.

 

❀❀❀

 

“Where have you guys been!?”

It was Yunhyeong who welcomed us back with a suppressing scowl, hands on his hips with one holding a spatula. His yell called the other’s attention and they all gathered at the front door.

“Yah! His car died and it was hard to find a cab, okay!” Hayi tattered back at him and pushed him the grocery bag. “Here! Go cook the pasta, hmp!” She walked out and went on her room to change clothes. Jiwon was left there with the other three guys, except Yunhyeong who already went in the kitchen,  at his sight.

“Hmmm... is it true you were stranded?”

“I thought you guys had a pre-Christmas date.”

“I thought they were inside the room doing... wrapping presents.”

They all said, grinning and their chin as if they were thinking about it thoroughly. Jiwon shook his head in disbelief and lounged himself on the couch. It’s good to be finally warm.

Once the pasta was cooked, Donghyuk helped Yunhyeong plate the feast on the table and called out the others. There were only six of them here since Hayi made the housemaids leave and spend their holiday in their own homes.

The clock strike twelve and it was already Christmas. They greeted each other with hugs and kisses, which only went for Suhyun and Hayi, not on the others of course, and giddily munched on the banquet Yunhyeong and Hayi worked hard for.

Jiwon yelled for the others to come outside when everyone was finished eating, their stomach full and round.

“Guys, let’s exchange gifts!” He suggested and grabbed a present underneath the Christmas they created. “Hm, this is my gift for you bro.” He gave the small rectangular box to Jinhwan who was surprised and all merrily opened the present.

“Woah! Thank you bro!” It was a One Piece collection figure; since Jinhwan was the type to like those stuffs.

Yunhyeong, Hayi, and Donghyuk also gave the same gifts to him and Jinhwan was like a kid, jumping in joy because it was those rare kinds of collectibles.

“I love you all guys!” He exclaimed and realized something. “Suhyun-ah, where’s your gift from me?” He grinned and the girl rolled her eyes and threw him the wrapped item. It was an expensive black knapsack with beaded gold sequins and chains on it. “Wow, wow, wow!” Jinhwan said, which satisfied Suhyun.

“Hey guys, you have something for me right?” Yunhyeong said and everyone showered him with presents. He opened first the small tiny boxes, which came from Suhyun, Donghyuk, and Jinhwan. It was a ton of lipbalms and Yunhyeong squealed in delight. He opened Jiwon’s gift the next.

“The bro?”

“You’re welcome.”

It was a men’s magazine, with a special cover of a model, dressed with nothing but ice creams. The guys for that.

Lastly, he opened Hayi’s gift; it was also a book, but Yunhyeong frowned at the sight.

“What? Aren’t you happy I am concerned for you? Go read that, arasso?” It was an inspirational book on how to change for the better and not for the worse. Hayi laughed at Yunhyeong’s priceless reaction.

It was Donghyuk’s turn; Hayi gave her a small cute piano keychain, which plays Mozart’s masterpieces, Jiwon also gave him a men’s magazine but with a different edition, while the other three gave him a heavy gift, encyclopedias.

“Bro...”

“We know you need to read. There is it, have fun.”

Suhyun received shirts and accessories from Jiwon, Donghyuk, Yunhyeong, while Hayi gave her a gift check from the coffee shop she has been working part-time.

“What is this?” Suhyun glared at Hayi, disappointment evident on her eyes. Hayi giggled and shoved another gift to her best friend. “I’m kidding. This is my real gift.” It was a cute pair of sandals and Suhyun needed to hug Hayi because it was too cute for her liking.

“Suhyun-ah, I hope you like it.” Jinhwan bent down and handed her his gift. Suhyun opened it and looked at Jinhwan. “Oppa igebwo—”

“It’s my heart. Take care of it.” Jinhwan said and the others hooted in the cheesiness of Jinhwan’s lines. It was a cute heart-shaped pillow. Suhyun couldn’t help blushing from his words.

“Wow, gee guys thank you a lot.” Jiwon opened his gifts and almost all of it was car accessories. Donghyuk defended their gifts by saying, “we want to ride a pretty car.”

“Uhm, here.” Hayi fidgeted and let Jiwon open her gift; it was a beaded rosary bracelet. Jiwon thanked her and she shrugged. “I also have an identical one, look.” She showed him her left arm, which has the same bracelet.

Finally, it was Hayi’s turn to open hers. She received a lot of girly stuffs from Suhyun, Jinhwan, and Donghyuk, much to her distaste (well, not really). Yunhyeong gave her a book but her anger shoot up when she read the title: ‘Weight loss tips’.

“YAH! SONG YUNHYEONG! I’M NOT FAT!” Yunhyeong ran around when Hayi attempted to chase him, but she stopped when she became tired, panting and looking for water.

“See? Who’s not fat?” Yunhyeong teased again and Hayi needed to shut him up. She saw one of the encyclopedias of Donghyuk and acted as if she would throw it to him.

“Y-yah! Yah! Okay, you’re not fat. You’re y. I thought you should maintain it so I gave you that,” he said, his arms on his face defending himself in case Hayi decides to launch the heavy book. Everyone erupted in laughter.

“MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS!”

 

  ❄  ❄  ❄  

 

 Day ⓢⓘⓧ

As a usual charity work, it has become a habit of Hayi’s grandparents to launch a Christmas party event at the orphanage. Halmoni came at her house early in the morning and woke up the sleeping guests, telling them to hurry up because they need to go somewhere. She didn’t say where but they nodded nonetheless and prepared themselves. Once they’re done, halmoni told Jiwon to follow her car so they could go to the destination already. They were all surprised when an orphanage welcomed their sight.

“Wow, why are we here halmoni?” Hayi asked as they got down the car and carried heavy boxes from her grandmother’s car.

“Careful, don’t let that fall— ah, yes, your haraboji and I founded this orphanage years ago before he died. I have supported them ever since because it was his dying wish.” The older Kang replied and Hayi nodded. They entered the building and went to the activity center where many children have greeted them.

“Annyeong sir and ma’am!” They cheered in chorus, which squeezed Hayi’s heart in joy of seeing those beautiful innocent faces in front of them.

“They are so cute!” She heard Suhyun squealed.

The program ascended and they were a lot of games. They took part in the mini contest, laughed together with the little kids, and played with them. They also got to know quite a few names from the hundred of them living in this building.

“Junhong-ah, aigoo, don’t run~” Suhyun said as she chased the five year old boy who was having fun being chased at. He wasn’t looking at where he was going so he accidentally bumped someone, causing him to fall and shed a tear.

“Aigoo, look, you fell down.” Suhyun helped the boy stand up and dust his clothes off. She breathed a sigh of relief when she found no wounds around his arms. Junhong, the boy who looked taller than his age, wailed and hugged Suhyun tightly; the latter was surprised at the sudden contact but gently patted his back to console him.

“Hush now, don’t cry. Just don’t ran away from me next time alright?” She talked cutely, making Junhong smile and stop crying. “Yes, that’s better.”

Jinhwan, who was the figure Junhong had bumped into, was left staring at the two; Suhyun was hugging Junhong and it seemed like the latter was enjoying it.

“Yah you!” He couldn’t help but to call the younger’s attention. “Why are you hugging her?” He asked, although it looked childish, Jinhwan doesn’t care nonetheless.

Junhong blinked his eyes slowly, shocked from his hyung’s sudden shout. “Why? She’s my girlfriend,” he rolled his eyes and hugged the so-called girlfriend of the five year old. Jinhwan yelled yet again and this time Junhong laughed and ran away, the older and the twenty year old chased him.

“Yah Choi Junhong, you playboy!”

The final part of the event commenced, the huge boxes were opened and several presents were given away to the children, all smiles and full of ‘thank you ma’am and sir’. The line of children was almost done yet Hayi’s smile was still unwavering. It’s great to help people at this time, especially these little humans who have been abandoned by their parents and or families.

“You look really happy today,” Jiwon gently elbowed Hayi as they were handing out the gifts to the children; they greet ‘Merry Christmas!’ while the kid will thank them and leave.

Hayi glanced at him for a moment and smiled. “Ah yes, I just feel overwhelmed,” she said and greeted a little girl who probably was at the age of three.

“Here’s your gift!” Hayi grab a present wrapped in a pink wrapper and handed it to her. “Merry Christmas!”

Instead of saying thank you, the little girl inched closer and enveloped her little arms over Hayi. The latter was surprised but she hugged back and carried the girl. A staff from the orphanage took over Hayi’s position as she scoop the girl up and pat her small back.

“What’s wrong?” Hayi asked and the girl, with ‘Jiyeon’ plastered on her nametag, hugged her more tightly. Jiwon saw both of them and went over.

“Miss, I’m really happy,” Jiyeon said and she let go of the hug. “You are really pretty,” she added which made Hayi’s smile widen. They say whatever kids would tell, it’s the truth.

“Why thank you little Jiyeon, I am very happy too. Did you enjoy the party?” Hayi asked and the other nodded. Jiwon approached them and sat beside the two. They played with her for a while but when the emcee said the program was over, the two sadly let go of her.

“Annyeong Jiyeon-ah,” Jiwon said and patted the little girl’s head who was sobbing quietly. “Y-you... you will come back right?” She blubbered and Hayi had to wipe the girl’s wet cheeks. She nodded and gave Jiyeon one last hug. “Of course Jiyeon-ah, we will come back,” she assured. They will, Hayi loved this wonderful opportunity and she would like to try it again.

“Next time, y-you’ll adopt me, r-right?” Jiyeon said, still sobbing. “Hayi unnie and Jiwon oppa will adopt me right?” She said again and the two looked at each other and tried not to laugh.

Hayi smiled. “Of course Jiyeonnie, we will.”

They drove off the orphanage and drove home. It was a hard farewell since they kids were so cute, adorable, and clingy. They could all wish they belong to the staffs but unfortunately they still have college to finish.

Speaking of which, the next day they all packed their bags and bid farewell to the amazing house of halmoni. Hayi thanked her grandmother for letting them stay and the latter only wished they would come back again. It was another hell of a ride back to Seoul.

 


a/n: hi friends! i finally updated! what you guys think? it was hard and yes- it's hard to feel this chapter since it is not yet christmas lmao. anyways, comment down your thoughts!! i really love reading them. 

BIGBANG IS BACK WITH MADE 'D' OH GOD GD I--