Chapter 8: Even for 1 Minute or 1 Second (1분 1초도)

The End...Not?

 

A/N: I changed the usage of 'Seonsaengnim/Seonsaeng' to 'Ssaem'. Ssaem is more informal.

 

[Flashback]

 

                “Ssaem!” I exclaimed as I opened the door to his room. He turned his head to my direction almost too quickly upon hearing my voice. He jerked both of his eyebrows in confusion.

                “Can you take me to the hospital?” I asked, sounded desperate. I am, actually. He took of his headphone as he noticed the urgency in my voice.

                “What happened?” he asked, standing up from his sitting position just now. He too looked worry.

                “Appa…” Without waiting for me to finish my sentence, he grabbed his car keys and jacket before dragging me out of the dorm. My heart was beating furiously all the time, thinking of things that could have happened to Appa. We quickly got into his car and put on our seatbelt.

                “Which hospital?” Jonghoon ssaem asked as he the ignition. He checked the mirrors before beginning the ride.

                “Soon Chun Hyang University Hospital,” I answered curtly. My mind was nonstop thinking of the worst case scenario. What if he has serious internal injuries? What if he had any of his bones fractured or broken? What if he fell into a coma? Or what if he died? I cringed at the thought of it. There’s no way I’m going to let that happen; he had already promised to see me in my wedding gown – even though I still haven’t found the groom yet. Unconsciously, I began to bit my lips and my hands started to tremble.

                “Relax, he’ll be okay.” Jonghoon ssaem’s voice brought me out of my trance. He intertwined our hands together and the back of my hand with his thumb softly. Regardless of the odd act of his, I tautened my grip on his, borrowing his spirit for me to stay strong. I prayed so hard in my heart for Appa to be okay.

                I hopped off the car as we reached the hospital’s main entrance while Jonghoon ssaem went to park the car. I walked as fast as I could to the information counter and asked about my dad’s whereabouts. I went to the ICU ward, where Appa was placed, according to what the nurse said. As soon as I reached there, I quickly approached the doctor who came out from Appa’s ward.

                “Annyeonghaseyo. I’m Ahn Tae Kyung’s daughter. How’s he?” I asked, not forgetting my manners. He nodded as an acknowledgement to my self-introduction before answering my question.

                “Your father’s condition is pretty critical. Seems like the artificial pacemaker were damaged. And his high blood pressure just makes it worse. Haemorrhage might happen,” said the doctor.

                “Can’t you replant the device back? Or, can’t anything be done?” My vision blurred as my tears started to well. God, please, this is not happening. That’s when I felt an arm around my shoulder. I turned to see a smeared image of the arm’s owner; Jonghoon ssaem.

                “We can replant the device back. But due to the accident happened in Hannamyeok, almost all of the operation rooms are occupied. The ones left are lack of utilities. We can take him to another hospital if you….”

                “Just take him to another hospital, then!” I shrieked, unable to control my emotion anymore. My tears started to stream down my cheeks nonstop. I felt Jonghoon ssaem’s hands patting both of my shoulder blades to cool me down.

                “Calm down, Taera. Calm down,” he whispered to my ears.

                “We’ll be preparing him to be transferred to the nearest hospital. Will you and your husband be riding in the ambulance?” asked the doctor, assuming both of us as a married couple based on our position now. However, I was too dumbstruck to answer him.

                “Yes,” answered Jonghoon ssaem. With that, the doctor walked away to start the preparation. I felt my body being turned around by Jonghoon ssaem to face him. He lifted my chin so that my eyes met his. He wiped away my tears that haven’t left my face ever since it started to run down my cheeks.

                “Appa…” I sobbed. He hushed me, dragging me to the side as he noticed that our position now is blocking people’s way before pulling me into a hug. The hug that was supposed to calm me down, gave an opposite effect as I started to wail louder than before.

 

*****

 

                The sound of the siren was deafening to me most of the time, but not now. All I could think of was Appa. Jonghoon ssaem still had his arm around me, with my head on his shoulder. I was staring intently at Appa who’s lying in front of us, in case he gains his consciousness. As if knowing what I was thinking, Appa’s eyelid slowly flutter opened. My body reacted quickly enough for me to lean near Appa. The nurses were busy doing something when they saw that Appa has gained his consciousness. Appa tried to remove the ventilator, but I stopped him from doing so. Still, he removed it slightly from his mouth, to say something.

                “Taera-ya…uhh…Appa might…uhh…not…be able to…be with…you…on the ai..sle. Ask Jae…Jaejin’s Appa wii..will you?” whispered Appa with difficulty. He tried to smile, but his smile was just so painful to look at.

                “Appa, what are you saying? You’ll be fine! You’ll walk with me on the aisle– you have to!” I cried. My tears which had stopped before started to burst again.

                “Mr. Ahn, please don’t talk. It’s too dangerous for you,” said the doctor who’s coming with us. Appa simply ignored the doctor’s advice and continued talking.

                “No, dee…dear. My time’s…al…almost here. I’ll be wii…th…yo..ur…mom again soon,” whispered Appa again with a happy smile on his face. Jonghoon ssaem put both of his hands on my shoulders, giving me strength.

                “No, Appa, no! We’ll replant the device once we got there. You’ll be fine like bef…” my words were cut by Appa. The nurses and the doctor tried to stop Appa from talking but he just won’t listen to them.

                “I am not that sure, dear.Ye know…I am…beh...ry…happy thaht…you’ll be mary…marrying Jonghoon-goon. I am sure…heee…’ll take…a good care…ohf…you…dear.” Appa started to wheeze more than before it worried me.

                “Please don’t talk to him anymore,” said the doctor. As much as I want to rebel against that order, I know better that it’s for Appa’s sake. Appa’s eyes closed back, and we started to sit back like before. My eyes gaped at Appa, while my mind was filled with Appa’s last words. I’ll be marrying Jonghoon? As in Jonghoon ssaem?

                “Patient’s in critical condition!” Alarmed one of the two nurses in the ambulance as the monitor’s showing almost a straight line. My eyes widened in shock. Quickly I grabbed his hand, holding onto it as if holding onto my dear life – he is practically my life while the doctor and nurses giving him some treatment.

                “Appa! Appa, andwae! Andwae! Appa! Be strong! We’re almost there! Appa, hold on! Appa! Appa, I love you. Please don’t leave me, Appa. Appa, wake up! Don’t leave me. Appa….” The sound beep that came from the heartbeat monitor almost took my life. My wails started to fill the ambulance; I was still in denial, I just couldn’t believe that he’s gone from my life.

 

[End of Flashback]

               

*****

[Flashback]

 

                “Are you okay now?” asked Jonghoon ssaem. All of the FT Island members went to Jaejin’s house today. So, I decided to stop by the house that I’ve once stayed with Umma. I turned from my family photo in my hand. I put it back on the shelf before taking a seat on the couch, heaving a sigh with it.

                “Why did you lie to him?” I asked out of nowhere, staring at the empty space in front of me. This is the house that I’ve lived with Umma for the first four years in my life while Appa lived in Seoul. I looked around the house. It’s still clean as it used to be, thanks to Jaejin’s Umma. She has been keeping this house clean for us since late Appa and I moved to Seoul twelve years ago. But, I usually came here during school holidays.

                “I did not lie,” Jonghoon ssaem’s sudden voice startled me. I looked back at him with an eyebrow arched upwards; doubting him.

                “As if I’ll believe you, Choi Jonghoon,” I was surprised myself to hear that I’ve dropped the honorifics used for him. I was walking towards the exit to leave the house but he blocked my way. I looked up sternly to him.

                “Firstly, don’t forget your honorifics. I’m still older than you. Secondly, why wouldn’t you believe me?” his face looked serious at first but it got questioning as he uttered the question.

                “With your obsession towards your ex-girlfriend, I guess you should’ve figured it out yourself. I mean like, for years you’ve been her love slave. And now, you’re proposing to me not long after your breakup with her? How am I supposed to believe whether or not you’re actually serious with this marriage matter? What if you abandon me for her a day before the wedding, or even on the day itself? And what if you’re just marrying me to forget her and not because of myself? Worse if you just sympathise me. There are reasons for me not to believe you, so don’t question me!” I said; my voice grew higher as each word said.

                “Fine, I admit, I was love-struck with her before. But the past is the past. Please, just this once, won’t you believe me?” he stretched out his hand, reaching for my arm. His despair almost affected me, but I was strong enough to stick with my decision. I took a deep breath before replying him.

                “I’m sorry, but I’ve decided to choose my groom from those guys who had gone to seon with me.” I turned to my heels and went out to Jaejin’s house, leaving him behind. I was dead sure I’ve settled things with him when I said that. But what didn’t cross my mind was that he would actually asked Jaejin’s mum to set up a seon with me. And that was my mistake.

 

[End of Flashback]

*****

 

A/N: I'm such a babo. Actually, I've finished writing this chapter long ago, about few days after the previous post. But I insisted on putting another one-chapter-worth of story into this chapter, so I decided to not to post this up first.  And I ended up not writing for too long, and an UNNIE whom I loved (eellovers)  reminded me of it  XD So, I'm really really sorry, guys! It's so sweet of you guys for not unsubscribing me :) I truly love u for ur suppport, you  :)

Btw, that picture above is the picture that makes me started to like Jonghoon :)

Oh, and don't forget to vote for FT Island on MNET's M Countdown!!

Love, ChocoBun.

 

*editted

 

I would like to tell you guys once again that this is a part of flashbacks in their relationship. And the following chapters will be in that form too, to reveal more about this story. I'm really sorry for the inconvenince :(

 

Sorry.Maaf.Mianhae.Gomen.Desolée.