Chapter 4: Heartache (상심)

The End...Not?

 

Taera’s POV

 

                I was cleaning the living room when the bell rang. ‘Jonghoon?’ my mind thought. ‘But it’s too early,’ I thought again. Regardless, I went to the entrance and press the receiver button.

                “Choi Residence. How can I help you?” I said, greeting the guest formally.

                “It’s me; Bichi.” Said the voice on the other side. I was shocked to hear that, that I lost my voice for a while. What is she doing here after all this while?

                “Taera, are you there?” her voice echoed through the speaker again, took me out of my trance. Instead of answering her, I pressed the button to open the gate. Not long after that, the sound of the door knocked was heard. My mind was still trying to figure out on what had brought her here when I turned the door knob of the main entrance, revealing a lady in her late twenties, in a piece of designer’s ensemble. I don’t know how my expression was – I  didn’t even greet her. The atmosphere around us was tensed until she said something.

                “Taera, there’s something I need to tell you.”

 

*****

 

[Flashback]

 

                As soon as I stepped into the living room of FT Island’s dorm, I could felt the mood was different. Not in a good way, I meant. Hongki Oppa was out of my sight, as well as Seunghyun and Minhwan. There was only Jaejin on the couch, and Jonghoon Seonsaeng – who’s somewhere in this house since I didn’t see his slippers at the entrance. I walked in a slow pace towards Jaejin who’s watching the television mindlessly, trying to surprise him – well, if he didn’t hear the noise I made when I was struggling to take off my shoes with my hands full of groceries. [Seonsaeng/seonsaengnim - teacher]

                “Baa!” I shouted a bit as I abruptly slumped myself next to him and dropped the items that I’ve bought to the floor. He shrieked a bit to my action a while ago, jerking his body to the opposite side of mine. His face looked shocked – I guess he really didn’t hear me just now. Sigh.

                “When did you arrive?” asked Jaejin, with one of his brows jerked upwards. I made the same expression as his before grabbing the remote control from his hand.

                “Yesterday.” I answered his question curtly. Mind the sarcasm, people.

                “Haha, that was so funny I forgot to laugh,” he answered me back with a teenie tiny bit of sarcasm.

                “Dude, you just did,” I said back to him with a merong. He looked annoyed with my action.

                “Seriously, Tael, when did you came?” he questioned again with a serious looking face. Erk? Since when he could act serious? I thought it’s always me being the serious monster – well, maybe not always, but most of the time, yes.

                “Ugh, just now. Why are you so grumpy anyway? And where are the rest? Don’t tell me they’re not around, because I came especially to make you guys dinner that I’ve promised before,” I said, still watching the television.

                “Hongki went to his Chocoball meeting, you know, Heechul-hyung just finished his army service last week. So they went to catch up and stuff. Seunghyun and Minhwan went to school, but they’ll be back for dinner,” he said, still looking trouble.

                “Chocoball meeting? Why didn’t Seonsaengnim join too?” Okay, I know, curiousity kills the cat but I just can’t stop myself from asking. I mean, he’s pretty close to Heechul Oppa, why won’t he be there too, right?

                “He has some problem,” replied Jaejin shortly.

                “That guy always has problem. Pfft,” I said, digging for the packet of potato chip that I bought just now in the grocery bag. It’s not that I made fun of him, but he always made fuss of small things. He even sulked when somebody accidently took his socks – I repeat, accidently, not purposely.

                “He broke up with Bichi noona this morning.” Jaejin looked so troubled. Since when did he care so much of other people’s personal problem – love problem to be precise?

                “Again? Jaejin, you yourself know just how many times they’ve broke up since you got to know Jonghoon, right? So what’s the big deal? They’ll probably just break up for a month a two, or maybe six months to the max, and date again afterwards – like always,” I said leisurely.

                “It’s pretty serious this time. Bichi noona is engaged without him knowing,” uttered Jaejin before heaving a deep sigh. I was stunned to hear the news. Sure they had broke up tonnes of times before, but not to the extent where any one of them close to marriage. However, I managed to keep my ‘I-couldn’t-care-less’ expression.

                “He’ll get over it together with the time. Uhm, I better start to prepare the dinner now, or else you guys won’t be having any tonight,” I ended the conversation and picked all the groceries bags and took them to the kitchen with Jaejin helping me.

 

*****

 

                “Guys! Dinner’s ready!” I called out from the kitchen. Seunghyun and Minhwan turned up about half an hour before. Jaejin switched off the television and walked to the table, where all the dishes were. A minute later, Minhwan and Seunghyun joined him to be seated around the dining table. Minhwan had done putting the rice into the rice bowls when I came back with a jug of iced lemon tea. I poured the drink into the glasses before sat down next to Jaejin.

                “Jalmeokesseumnida!!” they said in unison before dag in the food. I smiled in satisfaction seeing how happy they were to eat my cooking. I never thought they’ll miss it during my absence here. I had just come back two weeks ago, but due to their schedule, I only got to cook for them today. Suddenly, something clicked in my mind. [Jalmeokesseumnida - I'll eat well]

                “Didn’t you guys call Seonsaengnim for dinner?” I asked to no one in particular.

                “We knocked his door, but he said nothing. So we moved on,” said Seunghyun with his mouth full. I could barely understand the gibberish that he uttered. I put down my chopsticks and stood up, leaving my rice untouched.

                “I’ll look after him,” I said almost inaudible. I knocked the door as soon as I reached his bedroom.

                “Seonsaengnim?” I said, before knocking a few more times when there’s no answer from behind the door.

                “Seonsaengnim? Let’s have dinner together. I’ve made something,” I said considering he never said no to my cooking before.

                However, this time, he did. I took out a duplicate keys set from my pocket and unlocked the door. I pushed the door a little revealing a sad looking Jonghoon sitting on the bed, head down. Sure it hurt me to see how heartbroken he was because of some other girl, whom I can label as ungrateful. It has been so many times, so many chances that he had given to their relationship. I still remember the first time I met her ex-girlfriend.

 

*****

 

               ...to be continued on the next chapter...