Chapter 18 : Distance

The End...Not?

 

Jonghoon’s POV

 

                I quickly get myself ready after getting the call. My gaze fell upon Taera’s sleeping figure as I was reminded of her words last night.

                “Tell me things that you think will make me suspicious beforehand, okay?”

                I contemplated for a while whether to inform her or not. And I decided to do so by leaving a note on her bedside table. Her body squirmed as she felt her sleep was being disturbed when I pecked her forehead and both cheeks lightly. A smile formed unknowingly to see her response. I was caught in a trance before I felt my handphone vibrated in my hand. I walked out of the room before answering the call.

                “I’m on my way.”

 

 

Taera’s POV

 

                Rays of sunlight brightened the room, forcing my eyes to open. It was then I realised the warmness that had enveloped me throughout the whole night was no longer there. I turned to my right, to see Jonghoon’s place empty. My eyes scanned around the room, hoping to see his figure somewhere there but to no avail. I sat up on my bed while reaching for my handphone on my bedside table to check the time now. However, my fingers found a piece of paper underneath my handphone. I felt myself frowned, wondering what it was. I rubbed the sleepiness off my eyes before reading the message written on it.

                ‘Honey, I’m off to meet Bichi-noona for a while. Emergency.

                                                                                                                Hoonie.

 

                I was stunned to read his note; it seemed like he really took my words seriously. But it made my heart felt no better as I clearly remember him promised to send me off to the airport today with our children. He couldn’t have forgotten about it, right? The scene from last night kept on replaying in my head as to convince myself that his words were real and I wasn’t just imagining things.

 

[Flashback]        

                “I’ll be away for a month.” I broke my news to him after we sat a while in silence.

                “Why? I mean – where to?”

                “I need to start recruiting teachers since the buildings are already 75% done. I’ll be going around the Europe and Japan. Probably will take at least a month,” I said as I took a sip of my coffee. His eyes rounded in disbelief upon hearing me.

                “Can’t anybody else go?” He sounded desperate, and I don’t know why.

                “I insist to go. This is the most important part in making sure that our project in turning the academy into an arts school is a success. I can’t afford for my efforts to be ruined. I can’t afford for Appa’s hope to be ruined.” I said sternly. He sighed hearing my stand, knowing there’s nothing he could do to make me back off my decision anymore.

                “I’ll send you off to the airport together with the kids tomorrow,” he uttered in defeat, his shoulder slumped. A small smile formed to see how he tried to understand my profession. I took a seat next to him and put his hand in mine, earning myself a puzzling look from him.

                “Thank you,” I murmured softly into his ears before planted a kiss on his cheek.

 

[End of flashback]

 

                I picked up our clothes on the floor before I end up in the bathroom to get ready for my flight this afternoon. Gladly I’ve packed all of my things a few days before while I was at Appa’s. I quickly got myself prepared as it’s already past 8 and I planned to spend at least one hour with my kids at my in-laws house. And I silently hope Jonghoon will come back before that.

 

****

 

                I parked my car in front of my in-laws’ house, not forgetting some presents I brought for my twins and my in-laws. It has been so long since I last visited them due to my busy schedule. I’ve too much in my hands right now; opening of ART Arts School early next year and matters related to it, my studies in getting my Masters Degree in both Music and Business Administration, my duty as a married lady – and now, my problem with Jonghoon. I sighed again for the umpteenth time of the day, despite the early hour. I took a deep breath before I pressed the bell. The door opened automatically, allowing me get inside.

                “Annyeonghaseyo, Eomeoni,” I said as I bowed to my mother-in-law. She smiled at me before pulling me into a hug. I was puzzled upon her sudden action. Was it because she already knew what happened between both me and her son or was it because she missed me? Despite the confusion I was facing, I reciprocated the warmth that she offered me. I missed her, so much. She’s almost like my own mother – she has always sided me whenever Jonghoon and I quarrelled when we were younger. (Eomeoni - Mother)

                “Come in, now. You must’ve missed your kids,” she said as we broke our hug. I nodded and followed her into the living room while she went upstairs to call Joongli and Joongki. I settled on the couch before started to sort out the presents on the coffee table in front of me; an electronic toy keyboard for Joongli, a set of Gundam robots for Joongki and a foot massage machine for my in-laws. They’re always busy and now with the twins staying with them, I figured they must’ve been extra tired.

                “Mama!” Joongli’s shriek brought me back to reality, my head automatically turned to her direction as a reflex. I saw her running down the stairs excitedly with Joongki tailing behind her. I walked to the stairs and hug them midstairs. I missed them so much. I really, really do miss them.

                “Joongli-ah, Joongki-ah,” I said. I kept on giving kisses on both of their cheeks to which they responded in the same way. My tears burst in happiness due to their reaction. I stared at both of their faces longingly – only God knows just how much I’ve wanted to see them for the past week.

                “Why Mama cry?” uttered Joongli as she gawked at me wide-eyed.

                “Mama sad?” asked Joongki right after his sister. I smiled to their question; their minds are just as innocent as they are. For them, tears were just for pain and despair. They have yet not realised the many causes of tears. They have yet not realised the reality of the world they’re living in.

                “No, dear, Mama’s not sad. Mama’s happy,” I muttered slowly. I saw both of them nodded their head although I highly doubt they understand why I was crying when I was happy.

                “Come on; let’s take it to the living room. Let’s take a seat there.” I was almost surprised to hear my mother-in-law’s voice due to the fact that I’ve forgotten that she was with us the whole time – watching our mini-drama. I smiled to her gratefully before taking each of their hand in mine and guided them to descend the stairs. We took our seat at the 3-person couch while my mother-in-law went to the kitchen to make our drinks. When I offered my help, she kindly refused and stated that I should spend my time with my kids.

 

 

*****

 

 

Jonghoon’s POV

 

                Oh, ! I forgot that Taera’s scheduled to go to Europe and Japan for a month. I only realised it when my handphone rang due to the reminder that I’ve set yesterday before going to sleep. And it was already 10.00 am at that time. I immediately left Bichi-noona’s house and went straight to my house to find Taera’s car was nowhere in sight. I contemplated for a while before figuring out that she might be at my parents’ house. I silently prayed for her to be there and I heard myself sight in relief to see her car parked there. I rushed my way to the main door and rung the bell.

                “Taera! Taera-ya!” I called out her name as soon as my foot stepped into my parents’ compound. I didn’t see my mum anywhere near the entrance when I got into the house, but I guessed she saw me through the camera earlier. I called out Taera’s name for another few times and almost gotten myself a heart attack when my mum suddenly appeared from the kitchen with a stern look on her face. I called out her name once more before my mum’s voice cut me midair.

                “She has left.” I turned to my mum, puzzled.

                “Left? It can’t be – I just saw her car outside,” I said matter-of-factly. I saw my mum walked to the 1-person couch before she sat down.

                “She took taxi to the airport. I asked her to do so.”

 

[Flashback]

 

Taera’s POV

 

                “Eomeoni, neomu neomu gomawoyo. I can never repay your kindness for taking care of the kids.” (Gomawoyo - Thank you)

                “What are you talking about? They’re my grandchildren – what’s there to fuss about?” she said as she hit me playfully on the lap. I chuckled to her sentence as she laughed along with me. But suddenly, her face turned serious. She put my hand in hers as she took a deep breath.

                “Taera-ya, I love you as much as I love Jonghoon. You’ve grown up in front of my own eyes – I’ve known you well enough to tell that you’re facing a problem with Jonghoon now. But please, I ask of you; never, never ever think of divorce. I don’t want my grandchildren to grow up without either a mum or a dad. I don’t want to see any of you suffer from that mistake. I’m sure both of you love each other very much – so please – never think of divorce, okay?” her words went straight into my heart.

                 "And if this makes you feel better; I will never, ever accept anybody else but you as my daughter-in-law." My tears burst inevitably to hear her sincere words. She doesn’t know, yet she doesn’t question. But somehow, her words were just exactly what I need now. I felt warmth embraced me and my sense caught her scent. This was the scent of a mother.

                “I don’t think you can drive in this state. I’ll call a taxi, okay? Just leave your car here while you’re away.” I just nodded to her suggestion – not only because I can’t think of anything else at that time. Also because I agreed with her – I don’t think I can drive in this state when I’m emotionally unstable. I don't think I can do anything in this state.

 

[End of Flashback] 

 

 

 

 


 

 

Hello readers :))

 

I'm so sorry I couldn't update last Sunday. The reason is; my parents left for Thailand for a week and the house chores are left for my siblings and I to do v.v But in return, I wrote a longer chpter this time! Yay!! It's like twice the length of the ones I usually update, so I think it's equivalent to 2 updates. Or is it not? :/

I really hope you guys enjoy this chapter as much as I do, because to tell you the truth, I took less time to write this chapter compared to other chapters :D

So, voila!

 

Love, ChocoBun