Chapter 7

Storm Rising

The drive home was silent, giving Jisun plenty of time to process everything that had happened today. And the mystery surrounding the guy in the passenger seat.
She glanced over to see him slumped in the seat and staring out the passenger window still. His lips were pursed together and his hands were balled in to fists.
Hiding a small sigh, she concentrated driving up the winding mountain road until they finally pulled in to the driveway. She barely parked the car when Yongguk opened the door and quickly got out. She turned the car off and pulled the lever to open the trunk. Then she got out and went to the back of the car to see Yongguk grabbing most of the bags.
"I can help." she said and reached for the bags.
"I got it." he curtly replied. When he walked away from the car, he left only a couple of the least heaviest bags.
Jisun grabbed the bags and slammed the trunk closed. Then she hurried to the front door and unlocked it before pushing it open. Yongguk stepped inside, kicked off his shoes, and carried the bags to the kitchen without a single word.
She sighed again but didn't bother to hide it this time. She went through the front door and took her shoes off as well. Kicking the front door closed, she made her way to the kitchen. There she found Yongguk by the counter where he had set all the bags he had carried. He was pulling groceries out of each bag and setting them down.
She set her own bags down on the table before leaning against it. Then she took a deep breath. "What's wrong?"
He didn't turn to face her but merely shook his head.
Straightening, she took a few steps toward him. "Yongguk." she firmly stated. "Talk to me."
He stiffened as he froze, his hand holding a box in the air. Then he sat it on the counter before whirling around to face her. "I scared you." he declared with a frantic look, "Again! I don't want to hurt you or scare you but I keep doing it anyways. I keep ing up!" He turned back around. "Damn it!" he yelled at the same time he slammed both hands down on to the counter.
Jisun jumped slightly, not expecting that, but then blew out a breath. "Well of course you startled me." she told him. "I mean, hell; you went full Bruce Lee on their asses! Where did you learn to fight like that?"
He turned around to look at her. "I don't know!" he loudly proclaimed before looking down at the ground. He ran a hand through his hair and let out a frustrated growl. "I don't know anything."
She pressed her lips together thoughtfully for a few seconds before taking another step forward. "Then how did it feel?"
He quickly looked up to give her a confused look. "What?"
"How did it feel?" she repeated. "What were you thinking?"
"I..." He trailed off as he glanced away. "It just... My body moved on its own. Like it was..."
"Natural." she finished for him. "Like you've done it countless times before."
He chewed on his bottom lip and nodded before meeting her gaze once more. "And I was thinking..." He swallowed and his lips before whispering, "That they were hurting you."
She raised her eyebrows in surprise.
"I know I have no right. After what I've done to you." he hurriedly continued. "But I... I won't let anyone hurt you."
She blinked at him, hearing those words echoing in her mind. Several emotions flittered across his face but she recognized the pleading look in his eyes. That tugged her closer as she closed the distance and wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him.
Instantly, his body stiffened but she didn't let go. She squeezed tighter instead. After a while, she felt him relax as he exhaled. Then his arms wrapped around her as he buried his face in to her shoulder.
"Thank you." she told him. "For helping me." Then she pulled away as a thought suddenly came to her. "Military!"
One of his eyebrows raised up. "Military?" he questioned, puzzled.
"You could have been in the military." she elaborated. "That's how you know how to fight so well. Some special unit. And you do have dog tags."
He pulled the dog tags out from under his shirt to examine them briefly. "But the bunny icon, does anyone use that? And what's the Shishimato thing?"
She pouted. "True. The bunny is weird." Her shoulders drooped. "And there isn't a military base close to here." Then she quickly perked up. "I know! Some martial arts group. Maybe Shishimato is the name of your group."
He glanced between her and the dog tags, clearly not convinced.
She folded her arms and gave him a pointed look. "Well it's either that or you're a member of some secret clan of ninjas."
A sudden burst of laughter escaped from him before he shook his head. "I don't think that's it either." One last glance at the dog tags and then he tucked them in to his shirt.
"Well, we'll figure it out some day." she reassured him. "Maybe your memory will start coming back soon."
"Yeah." he agreed with a small smile. "That would be nice." Then he turned his attention back to the groceries and started to put them away once more.
Jisun turned as well and grabbed one of the bags. She pulled out a box of crackers when another idea struck her. "What about... your dream?" she hesitantly asked. "From last night. What was it about?"
He paused what he was doing and blinked at her. "I'm not sure." he told her. "It was dark. I couldn't really see anything. And I was laying down." He furrowed his eyebrows as he tried to recall the dream. "I know I wasn't alone but I never saw anyone."
Suddenly he winced and shut his eyes tightly before shaking his head. "Ah," he exclaimed as he brought a hand up to his head. "Thinking about it gives me a headache."
"Oh." she uttered. Then she shrugged her shoulders. "Don't worry about it then. Doesn't sound like anything useful."
"Yeah." he agreed and shook his head again. Then he grabbed some things to put in the fridge.
She pushed the dream out of her mind as well as she emptied another bag on to the counter. When she went to grab a package to put it away though, Yongguk swiftly grabbed it from her.
"I'll put the stuff away. You can go relax." he said as he moved around the kitchen.
She rolled her eyes and grabbed a bag of chips. "I can help too."
"Hey!" he exclaimed and quickly reached for the chips.
She darted away from him, keeping the bag out of his reach. Then she promptly stuck her tongue out at him.
He chuckled and chased after her, while complaining how she worked today and this was his way of helping out. Only to have her giggle and refuse to hand the chips over. Dancing away from him as they circled the kitchen.
Finally he grabbed them and yanked the bag out of her hand. He gave her a small glare before turning and putting the chips in the proper cupboard. Jisun took the opportunity then and grabbed an armful of stuff off the counter with another giddy giggle.
"Hey!" Yongguk yelled before laughing and chasing after her again.

After the food was put away, Yongguk took his new clothes and carried them to his room. While he was putting them away in the empty dresser, Jisun put away the bathroom items.
His toothbrush went in the holder with her toothbrush and his deodorant went next to hers. When she pulled out the bottle of strawberry scented shampoo, she smiled and chuckled a little. Tomorrow she'll have to take him strawberry picking after work.
"Thank you."
She turned to see him standing in the doorway.
"For everything." he added with a very sincere look.
"You're slacking." she told him with a smirk. "I don't think you've said that a dozen times yet today."
"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank.."
"Okay!" she yelled, cutting him off.
He chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. "I really do mean it though."
"I know you do." she assured him. "You really don't have to keep saying it."
A shy smile formed on his face. "I like to say it though."
She felt her face heat up a little as she glanced away. Then she rolled her eyes exaggeratedly. "Well I guess as long as you only say it once a day..."
He brightened and his smile grew bigger. "Deal."
She laughed and rolled her eyes again. He stepped out of her way as she left the bathroom and headed for the living room.
"Can you teach me about gardening?" he suddenly asked.
She stopped and turned to face him. "Gardening?"
"I figured that's something else I could do." he informed her. "Take care of the garden while you're at work. Besides watering it."
She wanted to protest and say he didn't have to, but she knew how far that would get her. He would just find one of her grandmother's gardening books and figure it out for himself. That she was sure of considering how stubborn he seemed to be.
"Alright." she said, giving in. "Let's go out right now and see what we can use for dinner."
She walked through the kitchen with Yongguk eagerly following her. She grabbed the metal bowl and took it outside with them before making their way to the garden.
She explained everything she could think of, what bugs to look for and just how much water each section needed. Then she showed him how to tell what plants were ripe and which ones weren't. How some took longer to grow than others, and what seeds they'll plant once it gets later in the year.
He listened intently, absorbing as much information as he could and asking a few dozen questions as well. She chuckled at his enthusiasm, causing him to blush slightly.

Jisun's eyes opened and she stared at the wall. Rubbing her face, she rolled over and closed her eyes to go back to sleep. As she laid there though, the more awake she felt. Because something didn't feel right.
Sitting up, she glanced around her room but saw nothing out of the ordinary. Nor was there any noises that would have woken her. Yet...
She pushed the covers off and slipped out of bed. She silently walked down the hall and found Yongguk's bedroom door open. When she peeked inside, she gasped in surprise. The bed was empty.
"Yongguk!" she called out and continued down the hallway. She didn't find him in the living room or the kitchen. Then she noticed the door to the mud room and the back door were open.
She hurried outside and glanced around. Her eyes widened in surprise before she let out a breath of relief when she saw him standing in the grass.
"Yongguk." she uttered and swiftly closed the distance to him. "What are you..." The question died on her tongue as she looked at him. He was staring up at the sky, completely frozen.
She blinked at him for a few moments before looking up as well. Stars glittered in the sky between a few clouds that were slowly crawling by. Then she narrowed her eyes when she realized he was staring at the same spot as before. When they had sat out on the porch.
Turning away from the sky, she her lips. "Yongguk."
Nothing. As if she hadn't spoken a word to him.
"Yongguk!" she yelled.
He didn't even jump a little bit. He just stood there like a statue.
Bringing her hand up, she waved it in front of his face. Again, he didn't react. Panic started setting in as her heartbeat sped up. "Yongguk!" she shouted once more and grabbed his arm.
Suddenly he gasped and his head jerked to look at her. "Jisun." he uttered and blinked at her.
"What are you doing?" she demanded. "Why are you outside?"
"Huh?" He glanced around and seemed just as surprised as her to be out of the house.
dropped open in disbelief. "You don't remember coming out here??"
"Uh... no." he quietly confessed as he met her gaze once more.
That didn't make her feel any better. "I kept saying your name but you wouldn't answer!" she rapidly fired off in a strained voice. "You just kept standing here and staring at the sky! I even yelled and waved my hand in your face! How could you not hear me?!"
Before she could say anything else, he quickly pulled her in to a hug. She inhaled sharply at the sudden action before slowly wrapping her arms around him.
"I'm sorry." he told her.
She took a few deep breaths to calm herself. "I just get so worried about you." she confessed. "Ever since I found you. I can't even make it through work without worrying if you're okay or if something happened to you again."
He pulled away just enough to look at her. "I'm sorry."
She swallowed before her lips. Then she pulled him closer again, holding on to him tightly so he couldn't move. Not that he tried to move away. Instead, he stood there and held her just as tightly and waited.
Once the storm of panic left and she was calm again, she finally pulled away from him. "Come on." she said and grabbed his hand. "Let's get you to bed."
Without a word, he held her hand and she lead him back to the house. She didn't let go until they came up his room and then she watched as he went over to crawl in to his bed. Only then did she turn and make her way to her own bedroom.