Chapter 4

Lipstick, Lollipops, and Love

Twelve year old Sandara came back from middle school to find her mother throwing up in the master bathroom.

 

What she saw her mom doing shocked her innocent eyes, "Mommy! Mommy! Are you okay?!" She asked worriedly, but received a silent answer.

 

Small tears began forming at the crescent of her eyes, when she heard a booming voice behind her.

 

"Park Sandara move aside." Her father ordered, which Sandara immediately complied to.

 

Her father started to pat her mother's back quite hard, forcing Mrs. Park to throw everything that was in her into the toilet bowl.

 

Little Sandara watched as her father had an earnest look of worry plastered onto his face as he was helping his wife.

 

After a short moment her mom seemed to stop and so Mr. Park wet a towel and began to wipe his wife's face.

 

"Sandara go to your room." Her dad said as he laid his wife onto their violet king-sized bed.

 

Dara left instantly, following her father's orders and left the room, closing the door behind her.

 

"Eunhae-yeah.. Let's go to the hospital.. You've been throwing up, getting fevers, and fainting for the past three weeks!"  Sandara heard her father said, causing her to stop in her tracks and place her petite ear against the grand wooden white door. 

 

"No..I don't need to go...My life is going to end anyways.." She heard her mother say softly as tears started to form in little Sandara's tiny eyes.

 

"Well you aren't going to die right now! We have to take care of Dara!" The little girl could picture a deep crease forming on her dad's forehead as he argued with his wife.

 

"We don't need to go to the hospital, Park Sungjoon.. I already went and I know what I have.." Dara heard as she listened intently.

 

"You do?! Why haven't you talked to me about this before?!" 

 

"Well.. you never asked.."

 

There was a short silence before her father's voice calmed down and whispered, "Park Eunhae don't joke around like that with me. What's been causing your pain?"

 

The little girl with her ear to the door heard her mother sigh, "I have heart cancer.." 

 

Sandara took in a sharp breath, and continued listening.

 

"We're going to trick the Johnsons and die anyways, so what's the point of diagnosing me if we're going to die," Her mother paused, breathed and continued, "And besides..I want Sandara to have all the money possible so she can survive with Seunghyun after we go.."

 

Middle school Dara gasped behind the door and ran to her pink-decorated room and began crying her heart out, worried sick about her parents.

 

-

 

Dara flinched in her airplane seat, "Mommy...." She whispered, "Daddy...Don't die.." 

 

Her eyes shot open and she bolted up as she felt her stomach turn in an uncomfortable way.

 

She ran to the bathroom, but found it already occupied, so she began knocking on it crazily until the door finally opened, revealing the mysterious man, who looked very cranky and frustrated, "WHAT!" 

 

Usually, Dara would say sorry and move, but at the moment, she could really care less. 

 

She pushed him aside and barfed into the toilet bowl, making Jiyong stiffen at the sudden deposit of sludge.

 

Instead of leaving, he immediately crouched down beside her and slowly slapped her back, helping Dara get all of the bad contents out of her system.

 

In a few minutes, he felt her stop and reach for toilet paper to wipe .

 

She flushed the toilet, then stood up and glanced at the man that helped her, "Thank you.." She whispered weakly, "You didn't have to do that, but thank you.."

 

He became mesmerized at the girl's light brown eyes, which captivated him in a strange way. 

 

They looked sad, but genuine, and he could tell that those eyes had a very long history within them.

 

The man smiled faintly and grabbed a wet paper towel and cleaned her face gently, earning a slight bat of the girl's eyebrows, which made his heart beat faster.

 

"I'm Jiyong." He mumbled loud enough for the girl to hear.

 

Dara grinned weakly, glad that she finally got the man's name, "I'm Sandara." 

 

The latter nodded in acknowledging her name as he mentally imprinted it onto his brain.

 

Jiyong usually would have not cared about a girl that was throwing up and instead would have ignored her and go back to her seat and listen to some music, but something about Sandara pulled him to her. It was like a force that kept pulling him to her, to help her in her situation and to do everything it takes to keep her safe. Even though they were strangers to each other, Jiyong felt attracted to her and felt like he's known her his whole life. 

 

'Maybe....' Jiyong thought of a memory that dangled at the top of his mind, but shook it off, thinking it would have been impossible that the girl could have been Sandara.

 

On the other hand, Dara turned her head to see their reflection in the mirror as Jiyong was wiping her face and savored the moment as she slowly closed her eyelids, feeling her heartbeat rise higher and higher, unusually high.

 

Then she suddenly fell into Jiyong's arms, who luckily had quick reflexes.

 

Alarmed, he carried Dara wedding style towards their seats and set her onto the chair.

 

He sat down besides her and unknowingly entwined his fingers through hers and laid back onto his chair, feeling very comfortable.

 

Kwon Jiyong drifted off to sleep, unaware that the girl named Sandara, whom he met today, had just fainted, and instead, thought she was overly tired and needed some sleep.

 

Well Mr. Kwon Jiyong was indeed, VERY wrong.