Chapter 17

Lipstick, Lollipops, and Love

 

 

Dara woke up to feeling too hot, and opened her eyes, only to find that Jiyong was not beside her anymore.

 

She frowned at his absence but it disappeared as she read the letter that he had left in her hands:

 

 

Sandara, I hope you had a good night's sleep. I have to go to work,

I'll be at the hospital if you need me, and I'll be back around 5pm, but of course you don't need to stay until then. 

I made breakfast for you in the kitchen, and I left a spare key on the bedside table.

I set out my smallest clothes on the couch in the living room, in case you need some clean clothes.

You can use anything in the apartment, but if you leave, make sure the door's locked.

Have a great day :)

- Jiyong

 

 

Dara smiled at his note, and folded it neatly as she got out of bed to wash up.

 

"Maybe Jiyong has some feelings for me after all!" She skipped towards the couch, retrieving Jiyong's spare clothes and hugged it tightly, maybe for a chance to smell his scent.

 

She hopped into the luxurious glass shower and turned the knob for the water to come out.

 

-

 

"So, Choi Seunghyun-ssi..You want to know why Sandara-ssi is coming to the hospital?" Dr. Daesung said, tapping his fingers against the wooden armrest of his chair.

 

Seunghyun nodded his head, "Yes, doctor. I do." 

 

"I'm sorry to say, but I cannot tell you for legal and private reasons..You must contact Sandara-ssi to receive the information.." The doctor said, lowering Seunghyun's spirits.

 

The door suddenly opened, revealing Bom, "Sorry, Seunghyun, the line in the ladies' was a bit long!" She looked up to look at the doctor, "Hi, I'm Park Bom, How are you tod-" 

 

She did another take at the doctor, "Kang..Daesung?!" 

 

The doctor widened his eyes at the woman in front of her, "Park Bom!?"

 

"You guys know each other..?" Seunghyun said, confused about the sudden outburst.

 

"Yeah! We went to high school together!" Bom told him, before facing Daesung again, "Dae! We have major catching up to do!" 

 

Daesung nodded and smiled, a smile that Bom had missed in a while. His smile wasn't just an ordinary smile, it really looked sincere. There was just something about it that made Bom smile as well.

 

"Ahem.." Seunghyun cleared his throat, making Bom come back to her senses.

 

"Dara is Seunghyun's best best friend..There's no reason for Dara to hide it from him! If you could just tell him..why she's been coming to the hospital?" She smiled her best smile, but the doctor still wouldn't budge.

 

"I'm sorry Bom-ah, I promised to keep this secret with Sandara-ssi." Daesung sighed, "But I will tell you one thing.." 

 

Seunghyun and Bom leaned in closer to hear what he had to say.

 

"She doesn't have a lot of time left in her life clock." 

 

Seunghyun's heart seemed to stop. Metaphorically of course.

 

"W-what..?" He whispered as he wobbled.

 

Bom went to his side to hold him up properly. But she was wobbly as well. 

 

Dara was dying? Why?

 

"Is there anything we could do to stop her from dying?! How long does she have left?!" Seunghyun said, his voice rising after each sentence.

 

Daesung held up a hand, a motion to calm Seunghyun, which he did.

 

"Let's say..that Dara needs a special organ to replace hers. She has roughly three months left, and she said that she wanted to die happily." 

 

Seunghyun's face fell. Why would Dara want to die? Why wouldn't she want to live in this crazy, media-sick world?

 

But most important of all, that meant that Dara didn't want to be by his side anymore...Right?

 

He sighed, not wanting to think about it anymore.

 

Then he remembered the promise he had made with Dara's father.

 

To take care of her, no matter what the circumstances were...

 

The words repeated over and over again in his mind, and he felt determined.

 

"Daesung-ssi..May I ask which organ it is?" Seunghyun asked politely, straightening his back after crouching over.

 

The doctor's lips formed a straight line, and wondered if he should tell this man or not.

 

This man really looked like he could help Sandara, and..Daesung didn't want her to die. He didn't want such an angelic soul to die. People like Dara are very rare, so rare that you have to savor those moments you have with those kind of people. 

 

Ya know what I'm sayin'?

 

Daesung fumbled with his thumbs and stood up from his chair, "It's her heart. I know that you being her best friend, you would donate any body part to her, but..if you give her your heart, that means that you must be willing to sacrifice your own life for her."

 

Bom winced and held onto Seunghyun's arm a bit tighter.

 

Seunghyun looked down at his feet after hearing the reason why Dara had been sneaking out by herself all this time, "I see.."

 

His face was blank, expressionless, but inside, thoughts and memories were bursting everywhere.

 

flashback/

 

"SANDARA PARK!!!!!!!!!! SANTOOKKKKKKI~!!!!!!" 9 year old Seunghyun ran around his neighborhood looking for a lost Dara Park.

 

He ran around the corner and finally saw the familiar figure and panted in relief.

 

"Dara! There you are!" He said, "You worried the heck out of me!" Seunghyun playfully pushed her on the shoulder.

 

He eyed the two boys and one girl in front of him, they were the 6th grade school bullies, and they were all standing in front of Dara and him with smug expressions.

 

"L-let's..go, Dara-yah.." Seunghyun pulled on her arm, but the girl stopped him, "Nuh-uh-uh! Park Sandara here must receive her punishment of losing tic-tac-toe before she leaves~~!" 

 

Seunghyun winced at the elder kid's words and hissed at Dara, "I told you not to play games! You at them!" 

 

"I'm GOOD!" Sandara stomped on the ground and crossed her arms, "Here, hurry up and do it." She walked up to the three sixth graders and closed her eyes.

 

The oldest girl held up her hand, and aimed for her face, but before she was even able to swing it, Seunghyun stopped her.

 

"Wait!" Seunghyun shouted, not wanting Dara to get hurt. The three sixth graders looked at the boy questioningly.

 

"I'll do it. You can hit me, not her." He stomped up to them and puffed his chest out, gently pushing Dara away from the kids.

 

"Aww, how cute. Now little munchkin, we shall now start!" One of the boys said before the eldest girl nodded and raised her hand again.

 

*SLAP!

 

*PUNCH!

 

*KICK!

 

Seunghyun winced and yelped every time each of the sixth graders hit him. 

 

Why was he even doing this in the first place?

 

Oh yeah, because of his stupid best friend.

 

He slowly opened his eyes, tears threatening to fall out of the sides of his eyes.

 

"Awww, is the little third grader going to cryyyyyy~~~" The remaining boy said, sticking his tongue out at him.

 

"Let's go." Seunghyun pulled Dara's hand firmly, and the two of them ran around the corner to get to their houses.

 

Dara followed behind him quickly, not wanting to lose him. 

 

"Thank you Seunghyun.." She whispered as they ran on their little feet.

 

"Anything for you, Santokki." Seunghyun replied back, holding in the pain from the bruises and cuts he had just recieved.

 

flasbackend/

 

But this was different. This was giving up his life, giving up his social life, giving up Bom, who he had a little crush on, and most importantly, not being able to see Sandara in person.

 

"Seunghyun-ah..Let's get something to eat." Bom interrupted his deep thinking.

 

"Oh..yeah sure" He nodded; he decided that he needed more time to think about this situation.

 

Seunghyun turned to the doctor and bowed, "Thank you Dr. Daesung for the very critical information. Many thanks." 

 

Dr. Kang nodded his head lightly, and quickly hugged Bom before walking behind his desk to work on some more files that he had just gotten.

 

Bom and Seunghyun walked out of the hospital doors silently, and both people had a bajillion thoughts lingering through their minds.

 

They walked the streets of Seoul thinking about the same person: Sandara Park.

 

-

 

That very moment, Sandara Park was doing her own exploring in the great big Seoul city.

 

She started to hum to Michael Buble's "Dream a Little Dream of Me" (song here)

 

The humming eventually transformed into full-on singing, and she swayed her arms to the beat of the song.

 

Her voice was very thin and sweet, and had a certain charm that no one else had.

 

It was very Dara-ish.

 

Dara was actually pretty talented. She could bust a move, and belt out the high notes in all of the Mariah Carey songs.

 

If it weren't for those stupid loan sharks, she would have been pretty famous through youtube, or just famous worldwide.

 

"Stars fading, but I linger on, dear.
Still craving your kiss, I'm longing to linger till dawn, dear."

 

Little did Dara know, she had created an audience following quietly behind her.

 

"Just saying this: Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you.
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you."

 

The small audience was wowed at her voice. It was unlike anything they have heard. It wasn't someone yelling out notes, and it wasn't some cutesy cutesy song. It was mellow, relaxing, amazing. Simply amazing.


"But in your dreams whatever they be, dream a little dream of me"

 

As her song came to an end, Dara heard clapping behind her and spun around at the sudden noise.

 

"Who are you!" She half-yelled after seeing a woman and a man that looked like they were in their 40's.

 

Dara immediately became alert of her surroundings by habit.

 

"Hello dear," The woman said as she reached into her purse to get something.

 

Dara held up her hands in a taekwondo position, this woman could be taking out a weapon!

 

The man saw her gesture and chuckled, "Dear child, we are not going to hurt you. We just wanted to applaud of your wonderful and fantastic voice!" 

 

The latter blushed, sorta creeped out that two old people were following behind her while she was singing, something she did only when she was alone.

 

"We are actually the head of the alto and soprano department at this school right here!" The woman gushed as she waved her hand towards a large area with buildings that resembled a college campus.

 

"Seoul University." Dara whispered, her eyes widening at the HUGE, very nice buildings.

 

"Nice isn't it? The entire school was under rennovation! I heard that hundreds of freshmen are going to enter this fall semester!" The woman squealed, clapping her hands in excitement.

 

The man besides her chuckled again and faced Dara, handing her something that looked like a business card. "Here, this is the business card to our department! We actually really admire your singing, and would like to hear more of it! Maybe in a theatre of millions of people?" 

 

Dara blushed at the compliment and reached out for the card, "Oh no, I'm actually not professionally trained, so I don't think I'm fit to go to such a school!" 

 

"Oh please, darling. You have a voice of an angel! You even look like one too!" The woman squinted at her, "You sure you're not a fallen angel or something?" 

 

The three of them awkwardly laughed, and Dara glanced down at the card. 

 

"Lee Eun Joo and Yang Hyun Suk" She read with her eyes, and saw the logo of the school and everything. These people were the real thing.

 

She slipped the card in the pocket of Jiyong's jacket and smiled at the two professors.

 

A challenge like this shouldn't hurt, should it? Dara always wanted to go to a college, better yet a university! 

 

And since she only has a few months left, why not have a taste of what it's like? 

 

Going to college may not be on many other people's bucket list, but it was on hers for sure!

 

"What happens if I join this University?" She asked, curious about the benefits of this college.

 

"Well, we're going to request you to come in full scholarship, if you'd like!" The man scratched his chin, "Oh, and you'd just have to fill out a few forms, and you'd be set for school! You've graduated high school right?" 

 

Dara nodded hesitantly, "I graduated this year, actually."

 

"Oh, then that's splendid! There are going to be auditions this Saturday, and you're obliged to come, missy!" The woman said over-excitedly.

 

The latter's cheeks blushed a light pink at the excitement of this woman, "Where do I get the forms?" she asked eagerly.

 

Yang Hyun Suk and Lee Eun Joo both laughed at this adorable girl's enthusiasm with a glint in their eyes, having a good feeling about what this girl can do.

 

"Follow us, deary!" Eun joo squealed as she linked her arm through Yang Hyun Suk's as they began to walk towards the school gates.

 

Dara walked behind them slowly, admiring the enormous sign that said, "Seoul University" and took a deep breath.

 

She rolled her hands into fists and walked faster to catch up with the two professors.

 

"I'm gonna do this." Sandara Park announced quietly to herself as she walked through the colossal gates of the gigantic school campus.

 

_____________

Hey guys! I updated rather quickly than usual HAHA

I hope you enjoyed the update. I thought I needed Seunghyun to know about the situation :(

This is probably one of the longest chapters yet! yay!

Don't worry, more Tabisan and Daragon moments to come! 

Thanks for reading guys! :)

 

Comment replies:

Kaelz_- LET'S HOPE SO! :)

jlovesd- HAHA I won't let it happen T_T it's just too sad! Well, ya never know! ;)

yenisvip12- lol, I just tagged them, thanks for the idea! HAHA no, I'll live with Jiyong! >3<

risaraihan- maybe, maybe not! read to find out x)

angelfire: haha your guessing is just too adorable! thanks for reading love.

Iheartlife: thanks hun! :)

 

✮kwonjiyong