Choices

Guardians Of Lemorian (EXO fanfic) | Editting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Look at it as a city," a professor was telling them, trying to explain the difference between Prefects, Guardians and the Student Council for the benefit of the transferees. "The Student Council would be the politicians, who represent and lead the students, and the police would be the Prefects--students who are responsible for implementing the rules and regulations. As for Guardians... Well, think of them as Special Ops. They are given a different type of missions and requires a different type of skillset. Plus, their coverage extends beyond the school grounds."

Baekhyun's eyes followed the man walking back and forth in their living room, looking all leader-like, reminding him a lot of Eunhye, who was standing on one corner, leaning her back against the wall and inspecting her nails. Baekhyun realized it was painted. He never knew Eunhye was interested in colors, let alone nail polish. She caught his eye and frowned at him to pay attention to the guy talking. His name was Jung Yunho, the same professor who bullied Eunhye a few days ago on his first day as their teacher. The man completely took over Prof. Kim Taeyeon's class, much to Baekhyun's disappointment. He liked Prof. Kim, she was cute, and so sad, that Baekhyun felt he should protect her.

"For now, this school has two Guardians," Yunho went on, gesturing at Eunhye who rolled her eyes when he turned back again to the prefects. "With Gaeil just joining last year. I also happened to be one until I graduated five years ago--"

"Six," Heeseon corrected him.

Yunho cleared his throat and went on talking. "And Changmin, too, four years ago. He was the last of the Guardians until Eunhye. And this is the first time that so many of the students signed up for the Prefect Test. Back in my first year as Prefect, there were six of us new, but only two of us became Prefects. The point is, there can be any number of Guardians, as long as you pass the tests."

Everybody exchanged looks. They already knew there was going to be a test, but the teacher said 'tests' which meant there was going to more than one.

"Which is where we come in," Changmin continued Yunho's peptalk to prevent him from talking history. "Guardians Test will be conducted individually, and the two of us will be the Examiners. The first will be intellectual, and if you passed that we'll move forward to the next test."

"Prefects are still under the school board, and so is the Student Council. As for Guardians, they report to the Order, directly, although the highest officer in charge of this city is the Headmaster, so they technically are under him. What it basically means is that Guardians have more responsibilities--which are oftentimes a pain in the , really, glad I'm done with it--and that Guardians patrol even outside the campus, and the Prefects only have authority inside."

"Even the Deeps?" Nam Taehyun dared to ask, talking about the thick dark forest that was west outside the school.

"Yes, Taehyun, even the Deeps and across the Black River," Yunho answered him, making the student shudder. "Don't worry, we won't force you to take the test. It's still a matter of choice."

It was known that the school was the last part of civilization in the Lemorian's Southern Borders. Beyond it, the land was filled with mountains and forests that had been untouched since almost a hundred years ago, back when a whole city burned to the ground and everybody died, a few miles farther south of the school. Grandparents tell of the story of how it happened, and claimed the hills were haunted. And so young children of the South had dreaded the place beyond the Borders that the government had set. South Lemorian Academy was the last safest place near the Borders, and its location was strategic as far as the government was concerned. They needed a place for the students to be away from temptations of the city, hence the isolation.

"We will give you time to think about it," Yunho went on. "First test will be four days from now. It's nothing to be afraid of, really, the tests I mean." He clapped his hands once. "Okay, now you can go back to your own businesses."

They dispersed without missing one beat. Heeseon went to the direction of the library and Kai followed her.

"Hey," he said, catching up to her. He finally had the idea about Prefect-and-Guardian relationships and he knew she was a Prefect and not a Guardian. "Heeseon, can I ask you something?"

"If I said no, you'd ask me anyway."

She was right about that and he involuntarily scratched his head. "I guess."

"Right. So ask away," she said as they rounded the corner along the hall into the entrance of the Library.

"Why aren't you a Guardian?" he asked before he chickened out. "Was the test too hard?" They were a the Library now, and Kai opened the huge double doors for her.

"I didn't take the test," she replied. "And I'm not the person for the job, really. Rounding the campus was one thing."

"So they are called Guardians, they should be guarding something from some other. What are Guardians guarding the school from?"

She shook her head. "I wasn't disclosed on that information because I didn't take the Guardian Oath, so I can't help you about that. And I can't help you about the tests either because I didn't take it."

"Too bad."

"Don't worry. I can tell you want to take it. Go ahead. I'm sure you'll pass."

Kai flushed with the boost of confidence. "Thanks. I'll leave you to your reading now."


***************

"I don't need to think twice," Chanyeol was telling Suho. "I'm taking it."

Suho paced around the room that was empty except for the two of them. The others were out and about somewhere, and for the first time, Suho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter