Guardian Angel

Dragon Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    "Kris, you guys got your tuxes fit, right?" I called, standing at the kitchen counter and looking over my 'wedding' stack of papers. 
    "Yeah, yeah, sure!" Kris yelled back from the living room. I could hear the sounds of the video game he, Suho, and Xiumin were playing, and I rolled my eyes. 
    "Kris, the wedding is in one week! This is not the time to procrastinate!" I warned. The only response I got was machine gun noises over the speakers and I sighed. 
    "Tao, stop worrying. I'm sure everything is going fine. We've already booked the venue, chosen the decorations, put them up, arranged the caterer, ordered the cake..." Luhan said, rubbing my back gently. I nodded, scrubbing my eyes tiredly with my palms. 
    "Thank you. You've both been wonderful help." I said, smiling at Luhan and Yixing. They both smiled back, getting up from their kitchen stools and stretching. 
    "Tao! You've been so tense lately, come with all of us to a bar tonight." Luhan said with a smile. I shook my head, sighing. 
    "I would love to, but I should really work on making sure the rings are properly fitted." I said, absentmindedly running my thumb over the slender silver ring on my left ring finger. 
    The engagement ring was certainly untraditional, but then again, Kris picked it out. And Kris and I were an untraditional couple in more ways than one. I had put it on as soon as we got back to the Santa Cruz hotel, and I loved it so much. 
    The ring was a smooth carving of a tiny dragon, the head and tail joined together like a dragon version of an ouroburos. The ring fit perfectly and was comforting against my skin, and when I pulled it off the word 'forever' was engraved on the inside.   
    "Tao. Come on. Relax." Yixing said, sitting up on my kitchen counter. His feet swung in lazy circles beneath him, and he looked up when Suho, Xiumin, and Kris walked into the kitchen. 
    "I don't know..." I trailed off. Kris smiled at me, an xbox controller still in his left hand and a pair of boxers the only clothing he had on. Xiumin was dressed similarly, and Suho had stripped down to his shirt. 
    "Come on, babe. I'll even put on pants." Kris teased, raising one eyebrow. I smirked, crossing my arms. 
    "You know that's not the way to bribe me." I teased back. 
    "I officially order you to have fun tonight." Suho said sternly, crossing his arms and leaning into Yixing's side. 
    "We do, too." Luhan and Xiumin piped up. I rolled my eyes, sighing deeply and smiling a little. 
    "Alright, alright. Everyone, get dressed!" I ordered with a smile. Suho, Kris, and Xiumin all whooped loudly and ran back to the living room, leaving Yixing and Luhan with me. 
    "God, I'm glad you're in my group." I said, smiling at them. 
    "They're all a bunch of cavemen." Yixing agreed, shaking his head and pulling his sweatshirt back on.
    "But we love them." Luhan sighed. We all nodded our heads in wry agreement, walking to the front door and waiting. 
    "I'll drive you two; Xiumin can drive our car with the other cavemen." Luhan suggested, grabbing my keys from the hook on the wall. I nodded, yelling the directions back to the other boys and walking out the door. 
    We all piled into my car, turning up the music and rolling the windows down. It felt good to get away from the stress of wedding planning, but I was still worried. What if Kris had forgotten to place the order for the cake? What if they hadn't gotten their tuxes fitted?
    "Stop worrying!" Luhan said, nudging my shoulder with his hand. I nodded, looking back when Yixing wrapped his hands around my headrest and half-stood up in the backseat. 
    "Turn up the music!" Yixing commanded, laughing when I obeyed. 
    I laughed too, looking up when we pulled into a bar and closing the car door behind me firmly. We talked for the short walk up to the front door, a rush of humid warmth greeting us at the door. 
    The three of us sat at a table, ordering a round of drinks and then sitting back. The others finally arrived three drinks later, tumbling into the bar like a bunch of puppies. 
    "Where have you guys been?" Luhan asked. He had only had one beer—he was driving—but Yixing was putting away another glass. 
    "We had to finish our game!" Xiumin said obviously, sitting down at the table. Kris sat across from me, giving me a small flushed smile. 
    "You guys are insane." Luhan rolled his eyes. Yixing had stopped moving next to me and I looked over, watching the confusion play over his face. 
    "Kris?" Yixing asked. "Is that your foot?"
    "Oh god, is that your leg?" Kris said, a horrified look on his face. We all started laughing, and Suho smacked the back of Kris' head. 
    "Hey, play footsie with your own fiancé!" Suho scolded. Kris blushed red and we all laughed, passing hours just chatting and drinking, watching the sports game on the tv above the bartender. 
    "Hey, Kris?" I said slowly, trying to remember what I had been worried about before. Kris looked at me and the room tilted slightly. 
    "Yeah, Peach?" Kris asked. 
    "You ordered the cake, right?" I confirmed. Kris' eyes got very large and all drunkenness filtered away from my head.
    "Oh, ." Kris muttered. Xiumin, Suho, Luhan, and Yixing all froze, giving me a look that clearly said they knew exactly how crazy I was about to get. 
    "Kris!" I exclaimed. 
    "Dude, run." Xiumin said seriously, looking at Kris sympathetically. 
    "Now, Peach, it's not that big of a deal. I'll just call tomorrow and order the cake, there's no need to get hysterical." Kris said. 
    "Hysterical? I'm not hysterical! It's just that I gave you two jobs; get your tuxes fit and order the cake! We did everything else!" I said, looking up briefly when Luhan pushed a drink into my hand and then pulled back before I could shift my attention to him. 
    "Tao, calm down. I said I would handle it, and I will." Kris said. His cheeks were flushing from anger now in addition to drink and his jaw muscles were doing that thing they did when he got mad, clenching and unclenching in a way that was distractingly y. 
    "You said you would handle it weeks ago!" I snapped. Kris stood, resting one hand on the table. 
    "Tao, you've been nothing but worked up for weeks. You're miserable to be around; you're acting really..." Kris started. I shoved back my chair, crossing my arms and glaring at him with all the anger I possessed. 
    "...not y." Kris finished. 
    "Excuse me?!" I hissed.
    "I said not y!" Kris protested, raising his hands. I ignored him, turning to Luhan and Yixing. 
    "I'm ready to go. Come on." I said. They nodded, standing up, and Kris looked at Xiumin and Suho. 
    "We were just leaving, too." Kris said. I turned away, not bothering to respond, and walked towards the door. 
    Kris and I both tried to go through at the same time, and we were both too angry to politely let the other one through first, so it resulted in a very undignified hitting of our shoulders and then our heads. We both dug our elbows into each other sides, first becoming wedged in the doorway before popping free and almost falling down. 
    To add to our embarrassment, we both forget which ways our cars were parked and made it about ten feet down the sidewalk before we had to double back and pass each other. We both avoided each other's eyes, and I looked up when Luhan curled his arm around my shoulders. 
    "I'm not marrying you if you don't get that cake ordered." I slurred, looking up at Luhan. He looked down at me, his eyes widening a little, and he sighed. 
    "Tao. Wrong person." Luhan said gently. "I should have cut you off like three drinks ago."
    "Whatever." I mumbled, looking up when Luhan opened the backseat door for me. Yixing got in the passenger side and Luhan leaned over me to buckle my seatbelt. 
    The car started up and we began driving, Xiumin's car appearing in the rear view mirror. I looked out the window, sighing softly. 
    Was I drunk? Yeah. Was I driving? Nope. So did it matter? Nope. 
    "I'm glad you're finally relaxing." Yixing smiled back at me. I nodded and Luhan looked back at me, reaching back to pat my knee. 
    "Luhan, look out!" Yixing yelled, looking forward. 
    Luhan's head snapped back around and the car slammed into something. I felt the sickening sensation of the car lifting up and closed my eyes when it crashed back down. The roof skidded along the pavement of the highway and I could feel all the little shards of glass bouncing off my face. 
    The seatbelt slammed into my shoulder and I cried out when something popped, my eyes still tightly shut. The car finally slid to a stop and the deafening noise of the crash faded. 
    I slowly opened my eyes, finding myself facing out the back window, which was smashed to pieces. A car pulled to a dead stop maybe five feet away, and the sound of a car door closing was like a thunder crack in the night.     
    My right shoulder was in absolute agony and I had to fight very hard not to throw up, my head spinning out of control. 
    "Tao! Oh god. Please no." The voice was Kris and I looked out the window, trying to see him. I could see his shoes right next to the back of the overturned car and his face appeared when he sprawled on his stomach. 
    "Oh god." Kris repeated, his eyes finding mine. "Tao, are you okay?!"
    He was absolutely panicked and I nodded slightly, grimacing when more pain flared up my neck from my shoulder. 
    "Don't move! Baby, don't move!" Kris said, crawling forward. I could see Xiumin's shoes next to him, listening to Xiumin's own panicked voice. 
    "Luhan!" Xiumin screamed, the pure fear in his voice making my heart hurt. I painfully looked back at Luhan in the driver's seat, finding him unconscious but still breathing. 
    "He's alive!" I yelled, my voice raw and cracking. Xiumin fell to his knees, his eyes meeting mine, and he struggled to peer into the car. 
    "Xiumin, step back." Kris ordered in a low voice. Xiumin obeyed slowly and Kris looked down at me again. 
    "Don't move, Peach." Kris said. I nodded slightly, feeling a warm throb from my mark, and swallowed down another bout of nausea.  
    Kris knelt, his fingers finding the back bumper, and he slowly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter