Snow Day

Dragon Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    A draft of cold air blowing across my body made me shiver, and I opened my eyes reluctantly while stretching out my legs. Kris was asleep with his back to me and he had stolen all the covers, wrapped up in a giant ball next to me. I grumbled and poked him, trying to yank back the sheets. He grumbled right back and jerked away, leaving me freezing cold on my side. 
    "Kris!" I whined, trying to snuggle up to him. "Wake up." I pouted.
    "No." Kris grunted, ignoring me. I shook him and he didn't move, making me stand and mutter to myself. 
    "Will you get up if I make coffee?" I bargained. Kris hummed noncommittally, burying his head under his pillow. 
    I smiled to myself and shook my head, walking downstairs quietly and into the kitchen. I hissed as my bare feet made contact with the cold tile floor, and leaned over to turn on the coffee pot. After the coffee started to brew, I went over to the fire place and cranked it as high as it would go. 
    I started to bake croissants, knowing Kris would be unable to wake up without some food in his stomach. Looking out the window, I found white snow piled all the way up to the bottom sill. A smile tugged at my lips and I sighed happily, pulling out the hot pan and pouring two cups of coffee. 
    "Kris!" I called, walking upstairs. I reached the bedroom and shook him harder, watching one of his eyes flicker open, glare at me, and then firmly close. 
    "I made breakfast~" I sang, shaking him again. Kris flapped his hand at me and I smiled, walking over to the window and slowly cracking it open. The cold air that blew in made me squeak, and I reached out quickly to scoop up a handful of snow from the roof. 
    I tiptoed over to where Kris was sleeping and stuck it down the collar of his shirt. Kris shot up with a yell and clawed at the back of his shirt, his eyes widening angrily when he saw me doubled over in laughter. I froze when his eyes met mine, and immediately backpedaled to the top of the stairs. Kris charged after me, swearing wildly as his tugged off his soaking shirt. 
    "I made breakfast!" I screamed back at him, trying to focus on running down the stairs as terrified laughs bubbled up from my throat. 
    Kris growled at me and I finally reached the bottom of the stairs, skidding into the kitchen. I turned just in time to watch Kris vault over the railing of the stairs and land in front of me with a thunk, his wings exploding from his back mid-air to slow his fall. 
    "Snow? Really?! Snow?!" Kris yelled, his wings fluttering behind him angrily. I giggled at the angry way he scrunched his nose, holding out a cup of coffee as a peace offering. 
    "You know you love me." I smiled, turning to grab two hot croissants and put them on a plate for him. Kris looked between the coffee and my face painfully, visibly torn between giving in or staying angry. 
    "But...snow?" Kris finally trailed off weakly, accepting the coffee with a smile and taking a big gulp. 
    "You wouldn't wake up." I said defensively, taking a big bite of my own croissant. Kris mirrored me, a large glob of melted chocolate dripping down the tip of his nose. 
    I laughed and leaned forward, my lips closing around his nose and cleaning the chocolate off. Kris giggled and ducked his head, rubbing his nose. 
    "It tickles!" Kris whined, his eyes twinkling at me. I chuckled and my hands looped around his waist easily, my thumbs tracing the curves of his hips. 
    "Kris?" I asked, my forehead resting against his. He hummed, moving closer so our chests pressed together. 
    "We've been snowed in." I started. Kris hummed again, and a devious twinkle jumped into his eye. 
    "What are we gonna do?" Kris asked, a smirk curling his lips. 
    "Well...if you're thinking what I'm thinking..." I trailed off. I raised my eyebrow demonstratively, moving even closer to him and biting my lip. 
    "Board games!" Kris exclaimed happily, smiling at me innocently. My face fell flat and I sighed, only to see the familiar teasing glimmer in Kris' eyes. 
    "You better be joking." I muttered. Kris laughed, tossing his head back and smiling. He nodded, his hands tightening around my waist and his wings shooting into his back. 
    "Bedroom?" Kris suggested. I nodded and he chuckled, picking me up and running up the stairs. 

    A few hours later, Kris and I actually were sitting on the floor in front of the tv playing cards. Steaming cups of hot chocolate rested next to us, the tv flickering in the background on mute as we played. I had taught Kris how to play Gin, and it turned out he loved the game. This was our seventh round. Yes. Seventh. 
    "Kris, can we play something else?" I whined, shifting the pillow cushioning my sore back carefully. 
    "One more?" Kris begged, looking up at me with big puppy eyes. I sighed, dealing out the cards one more time and looking fleetingly back towards the tv. We were also on our fourth episode of Bridezillas. 
    "I think I want to go back to school." I said offhandedly, laying down an extra card. Kris looked up at me curiously, nodding. 
    "I always wondered why you weren't in school." Kris admitted. I sighed, running my hand through my hair and checking my cards for any matches. 
    "When my parents threw me out in China, I had just graduated high school. I booked a flight

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter