Ryu

Dragon Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    "Are you asleep?" Kris' voice was next to my left ear and I hummed noncommittally, shifting slightly. 
    "I'll let you know." I mumbled, drowsing hazily under the sunlight. The towel Kris had spread beneath us was soft on my bare chest and the sun was drying my wet swim trucks, little bits of sand dusted along the backs of my legs and the bottoms of my feet. My arms were resting at my sides and I could feel Kris' fingers curl through mine, his other hand spreading more sun lotion on my shoulders. 
    "We could go grab dinner in about an hour, then walk here later." Kris suggested. I cracked my eyes open, blinking at the sudden light and turning my head to look at him. 
    Kris was leaning over me, a small smile on his lips and his hair tousled by the warm sea breeze. I smiled, turning over onto my back and reaching my hands up for him. Kris chuckled and leaned down, letting me cup his cheeks and draw him down on top of me. 
    His elbows dug into the sand on either side of my head and his legs tangled between mine, his face hovering centimeters from mine. I smiled and Kris joined our lips, his fingertips brushing my ears absentmindedly. There was sand stuck to his stomach and it caught between us, scraping slightly as his bare torso moved on mine. His chest was warm from the sun and I closed my eyes, tasting the salt from the ocean on his lips. 
    I turned to the side, pushing Kris off of me and tangling us together on the towel. Freed, his arms wrapped around my back and his nails dug into the sensitive skin just next to my mark. I arched my back in pleasure and his nails glided down my spine, his tongue doing wonderful things to my mouth. I hummed and Kris smiled against my lips, pushing his chest harder against mine. 
    I drew back suddenly, freeing myself from his grip and standing up. Kris watched me with a betrayed look, his mouth hanging open from where mine had left it. I smiled at him and turned abruptly, running into the warm waves lapping just meters from our feet. 
    I could hear Kris splashing after me and turned, laughing when he picked me up and kissed me soundly. My arms and legs wrapped around him instinctively, drawing him closer, and I smiled when the waves tugged on our waists gently. 
    "Can't believe you took me to Bermuda." I murmured against his mouth, the salt on his skin more apparent now. "Crazy."
    "You love it though." Kris smiled, kissing me and taking away my ability to speak. I smiled against his mouth, loving the warm water around us and Kris' warm body against mine. 
    He was right.  


    "Kris, hurry up! We're going to be late for our appointment with the Board of Adoption!" I yelled up the stairs. Kris came thundering down the stairs a few minutes later, hastily pulling on a jacket. 
    "Are you sure we're not rushing this?" Kris asked. "There's no pressure for us to adopt right away. We can still wait."
    "Kris, we both want a family together. Why wait? We've been married almost a year and a half, we've waited enough." I smiled. Kris nodded, giving me a quick kiss and then grabbing the car keys.
    The ride to the office of our adoption agent Ms. Choi was short, and I found myself sitting in her office less than half an hour later, Kris next to me. 
    "Mr. Wu, here are the profiles of children approved for adoption. As per your request, I've gathered the profiles of infant females only." Ms. Choi smiled at both of us, sliding a folder with a small stack of papers inside over the table towards us. 
    "Thank you, Ms. Choi." Kris smiled. I nodded, opening the file, and Kris and I started looking through profiles. 
    "Take your time." Ms. Choi smiled pleasantly, swiveling in her chair to begin typing at her computer. 
    "What about her?" Kris asked, tapping the profile picture of a smiling infant. I smiled, leaning in to take a closer look at her. 
    "She's cute. Min Rinki." I read along her file, pulling the paper closer to look at it. There was another file under hers and Kris picked up the paper. 
    "Who is this? Ryu?" Kris asked, reading along the paper and then tilting it so I could see. Ms. Choi looked up, sliding over in her chair to look. 
    "Oh, I'm sorry, I must have made a mistake. Ryu's file should not be in there." Ms. Choi smiled apologetically, holding her hand out for the profile. Kris held up a hand, giving her a small smile. 
    "No, it's alright. Tao, look." Kris said, handing me the paper. 
    I read the profile, surprised there wasn't more information. 

Masamoto Ryu 
Age: approx. 15
Nationality: Japanese 
Blood type: AB positive 
Additional information unavailable 

    "Shouldn't there be more to Ryu's file?" I asked, passing it back to Kris. There wasn't even a picture of him, and Ms. Choi shook her head. 
    "There's no point. No one will adopt him; you two shouldn't worry about him any more. Here, this is the rest of Min Rinki's information." Ms. Choi smiled, but the smile was stiff and plastic, and Kris ignored her. 
    "Why won't anyone adopt him?" Kris asked firmly. Ms. Choi sighed sadly, withdrawing her hand and resting her elbows on her desk. 
    "For starters, he's an adolescent. He'll be an adult in a few years, so there's no point to adopting him. Furthermore, he's what we call a runner. Every chance he can get, he's out on the streets looking for his mother. He doesn't even stay one night at a foster house before he's running." Ms. Choi said. I looked over at Kris, recognizing the devilish gleam in his eye. He liked this kid. 
    "Can we meet him?" Kris asked. Ms. Choi looked surprised, her perfectly painted mouth falling open for a second before it closed with a snap. 
    "Are you sure you want to—" Ms. Choi trailed off when we both nodded. I was starting to like Ryu too, and Ms. Choi stood. 
    "He's staying at a foster house a few blocks away. I'll walk you there." Ms. Choi said. Kris and I nodded, dropping back a few steps to talk. 
    "I know we said we wanted an infant, and a girl, but I feel some kind of connection with this kid." Kris said as soon as I turned to speak with him. I chuckled, nodding. 
    "He does seem like he's got spunk. Are we ready to handle a teenager, though?" I asked. Kris shrugged. 
    "You were one not too long ago. Teenagers can't be that hard; nothing a dragon can't handle." Kris smiled, dropping his voice so Ms. Choi couldn't hear.
    "You know Ryu means dragon, right? We might have our own little dragon to deal with." I warned. Kris' eyes widened excitedly and I sighed, knowing that crazy look. 
    "Alright, this must be fate. I mean, come on, what are the chances of having his file get mixed up with ours? Or his name meaning dragon? We need to adopt this kid." Kris said, speaking fervently. 
    "Calm yourself, we haven't even met him yet." I scolded lightly, trying to pretend I wasn't just as excited. 
    "I need to warn both of you," Ms. Choi said, pausing in front of a large two-story house and waiting to ring the bell. "Ryu can be a little...abrasive to strangers. He means well, but he's not too friendly at first."   
    "That's alright, we understand." I smiled confidently, and Ms. Choi rang the bell. 
    There was the pattering of many feet on the other side, and a boy maybe four years old yanked the door open. He had sauce on his face and his hands, grinning up at Ms. Choi. 
    "Hey there, Kin. Is Ms. Lee home?" Ms. Choi asked pleasantly, leaning down to look at Kin. 
    "Kin? Kin, where did you go? Baby, come finish your lunch—" A good-looking young woman approached the door, tucking her hair behind her ear and sweeping Kin into her arms at the same time. Kin giggled and I smiled, a grin already on Kris' face. "I have to watch you, little one." 
    Ms. Lee grasped one of Kin's tiny hands and pressed a kiss to it, shifting him to her hip and smiling at Ms. Choi. 
    "Come on in, sorry about the wait. Are you here to adopt?" Ms. Lee asked nicely, stepping back to give us room. She was the kind of woman who looked beautiful even with her hair twisted on top of her head in a messy bun, and I smiled back at her. 
    "They're here to see Ryu." Ms. Choi said, giving Ms. Lee a meaningful look. Ms. Lee smiled and I pulled off my shoes, leaning against Kris for balance. 
    "He's in his room. Up the stairs, second door to the left. Sorry about the mess; you know how teenage boys are." Ms. Lee said with another happy smile, turning and walking into the kitchen. 
    I followed Kris up the stairs, both of us dodging a pair of boys wrestling at the top of the stairs. They noticed us and broke apart, looking up at us with wide eyes and shy smiles, waving. 
    "They all seem happy here." I remarked, turning to Ms. Choi. 
    "Oh, yes. Ms. Lee is the best foster mother I've ever seen, so hardworking." Ms. Choi smiled. We reached the aforementioned door, all of us looking at the KEEP OUT sign on the front. 
    Kris knocked hesitantly but there was no answer, prompting him to knock again. Kris finally tried the doorknob and it was unlocked, swinging open with a small creak. I blinked at the messy room in front of us, looking at the piles of clothes on the floor and the underwear hanging from the lamp. 
    "Ryu?" Kris said, looking at the lanky boy stretched out on the bed. His eyes were closed, a pair of headphones around his head and his long fingers tapping out a rhythm on his thigh. I could see a drum set and an electric guitar in one corner of the room, feeling a small thrum of satisfaction at the boy's obvious love of music. 
    "Ryu?" Kris said again, reaching out to lightly touch one of the boy's ankles. Ryu leapt up with a gasp and his eyes shot open, fixing on us. Kris drew back with his hands up and Ryu rolled his eyes, pulling off his headphones. 
    "Gave me a in' heart attack. What do you want?" Ryu snapped. 
    "Ryu! Language!" Ms. Lee called from somewhere downstairs, prompting Ryu to roll his eyes again. 
    "Ears like a in' bat, I tell ya. So, whaddya want?" Ryu demanded harshly, glaring at Kris. 
    His hair was black and shaggy, hanging into his eyes like some anime character. His eyes were a rich brown, almost black, and his skin was milky and clear. His chin was pointed and his nose was thin, his eyes pointed sharply and his generous mouth downturned.  
    "My name is Kris Wu and this is my husband, Tao. We're here to see about adopting you." Kris said, gesturing to me with a small smile. Ryu rolled his eyes a third time, putting his headphones back on but not starting the music just yet, flopping back onto his pillow. 
    "Jesus ing Christ, adopted by a pair of queers." Ryu spat, crossing his arms. I blinked slowly, stunned, but a small smile was spreading over Kris' face. 
    "Hey, buddy, we might be queers but we're still talking to you." Kris said, motioning for Ryu to remove his headphones. To my surprise, Ryu obeyed, but looked nonchalantly down at his fingernails instead of up at Kris.
    "What do you think of spending a few days with us? Just to get a feel for what living with us would be like?" Kris asked. Ryu shrugged, running his hand through his hair in a way that was similar to Kris. 
    "Whatever." Ryu said, the first sentence without profanity in it I had heard. Kris looked at Ryu firmly. 
    "Whatever is not an answer, young man. Yes or no?" Kris asked. Ryu sighed dramatically and began to slide his headphones back on. 
    "Sure. Okay. Just for a few days." Ryu said, before turning his music back on and ignoring us. 
    "We'll take him." Kris said, turning with a smile towards Ms. Choi, who still looked stunned. 
    "Are you sure?" Ms. Choi asked. 
    "Definitely. Tell him to pack his bags; we'll pick him up tomorrow." I broke in, smiling at Kris. Ryu enjoyed shocking people, but I could see even now that Kris had a different kind of hold on him, forcing him to break out of his shell. 
    Kris turned to me with an incredulously pleased smile, grinning wider when I nodded to him.     
    "Alright. Just come back with me to fill out the temporary adoption papers, and then we'll be on our way." Ms. Choi said, leading us back through the house. 
    After the paperwork, Kris and I went home to tidy up the house and make sure it was ready for Ryu. We weren't expecting to have a child already, but the guest room was made up perfectly and he could stay there until we figured out how to turn the half-nursery into a teenager's room. 
    "We could give him the attic." Kris mused over dinner, picking at his roast beef. I chewed a piece of meat c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter