Blender

Dragon Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    The drive back to Aki's house was the most awkward I had ever experienced. Aki and Ryu were in the backseat, each staring straight forward as I drove slowly through the dark streets. Aki cleared his throat after a few unbearable minutes dragged on, my eyes finding him in the rear view mirror. 
    "Ryu, listen." Aki started. Ryu turned towards him and Aki managed a small smile. "I don't think whatever's between us would have worked out anyway."
    "What are you saying?" Ryu asked. Aki sighed softly, reaching out to pat Ryu's knee and flash a slightly wider smile. 
    "I'm saying you should go talk to your friend. He obviously cares about you a lot, at least talk to him." Aki said. 
    "You really think so?" Ryu asked hesitantly. Aki nodded.
    "Remember, if you ever want to try again with me, you've got my number. But I have the feeling we're meant to be good friends." Aki said. I had just pulled up in front of his house and Aki moved to get out, stopped by Ryu's hand on his shoulder. 
    "Thank you, Aki." Ryu said sincerely. Aki nodded, flashing another smile and closing the door firmly behind him. 
    He jogged across his front lawn, opening the front door. I made sure he was safely inside before pulling away, looking at Ryu in the rear view. Ryu was leaned against the door, looking out the window. 
    "Do you want to talk?" I asked. Ryu shook his head quietly and I nodded, turning on music and maneuvering through the streets. 
    Once we were home I met Kris in the kitchen, giving him a quick kiss and twining my arms around his waist. Ryu walked upstairs and I looked up at Kris. 
    "Want to show him the loft now?" I asked. 
    "It might cheer him up." Kris nodded in agreement, and we walked up to the guest room. Ryu was already in bed when we came up, staring at his phone. 
    "Ryu, we have a surprise for you." I said, beckoning him. He set his phone down with a confused look, getting out bed and rubbing one eye sleepily. 
    "Yeah?" Ryu asked. 
    "We made the loft into a bedroom for you. Come on." Kris said, holding his hand out. Ryu took it hesitantly, padding up the carpeted stairs into the loft. 
    The loft was as large as the master bedroom and guest bedroom put together, with a king sized bed in the middle. The floor was carpet and there were cushioned window seats at all the walls, moonlight seeping in. There was a dresser for Ryu's clothes and space for his instruments, along with a door that led to a connecting bathroom that looked out on the back pool and yard. 
    The biggest surprise was the tape and newspaper that covered the ceiling and part of the floor. Cans of spray paint in every color Kris and I could find were stacked in front of the stairs, waiting for Ryu to use. 
    "We thought you might like to decorate it yourself tomorrow." Kris smiled. Ryu looked around with wide eyes, a smile turning the edges of his mouth up and crinkling his eyes. 
    "Thank you!" Ryu exclaimed, hugging Kris and I tightly together. We held him, Kris' eyes meeting mine over Ryu's head, a smile bright on his face.
    "You like it?" I asked. Ryu nodded, and I chuckled a little. "Go get in bed, then. It's late."
    "Thank you." Ryu called again, getting into the big bed and snuggling down. Kris and I pulled the covers to his chin, making sure his speaker was next to his bed along with his phone. 
    Ryu quiet music and I reached out to turn out the light, Kris and I each placing a kiss on his forehead and then walking back down the stairs. 
    "We should get to sleep, too. Ryu might need some help tomorrow." Kris suggested. I nodded, knowing he was right, and followed his advice. 


    Ryu was staring intently at his phone all day. He would set it down in front of him, stare at it, pick it up, type something, then erase it and set his phone back down, only to repeat everything thirty seconds later. When he wasn't brooding over his phone, he was sitting next to Kris on the couch, watching old episodes of Bridezillas. 
    When they ran out of episodes, Kris pulled our box collection of all the Rambo movies from the garage and started an action movie marathon. When they finished Rambo it was nine at night and Ryu begged to watch just one more, which prompted Kris and I to track down Die Hard. 
    When that was over, Ryu's eyes were slipping closed and his phone was cradled to his chest like a teenager's teddy bear. I sent him up to bed and came back downstairs, finding Kris curled up with the remote in his hand, waiting for me. 
    "He's miserable." I said. Kris nodded, patting the couch next to him and holding me when I sat down next to him. 
    "Have you heard from Snake at all?" Kris asked. I shook my head and sighed, distractedly watching the credits roll by on the tv screen. 
    "They need to talk to each other. They're both probably going crazy without each other." I said. 
    "I wonder how Snake's doing." Kris said. "How much do you wanna bet he's drinking right now?"
    "I'll go see if Snake is alright. You keep an eye on Ryu." I said, standing up and grabbing my keys. I pulled on sneakers I found by the door and walked out to the car, cool night air coiling around my exposed neck, snaking into my sleeves. 
    I unlocked the escalade and swung inside, turning on music and following the directions Kris had texted to me. The drive to Snake's house was only about twenty minutes, and I realized with a small amount of surprise that he actually lived in an apartment complex. 
    I called Kris, locking the car and walking along the little paths between buildings. When Kris picked up I paused, looking up at the stars and shivering a little. 
    "Which apartment?" I asked. 
    "Second floor, building E, apartment 21." Kris answered easily, and I could have blessed his memory. 
    "Thanks." I smiled and put my phone back into my pocket, finding building E easily and listening to my feet echo up the steps. 
    I knocked on the door to apartment 21, looking through the tiny peephole and finding the apartment dark. I doubted Snake was inside but still knocked loudly a second time. I finally accepted defeat and turned away, walking back down the stairs. 
    By now it was midnight and I was almost ready to give up when I remembered a bar I had passed not too many blocks ago. It was worth checking out, and I got back into the car. It only took me a few minutes to find a parking place and I opened the door to the bar, looking inside.
    It was warmer inside and I stepped in, letting the door swing closed behind me. The bar was mostly empty, and my eyes flicked over the stools. The bartender was standing in one corner, looking up at the tv screen mounted above his head, and I recognized Snake sitting on one of the stools. 
    Snake was sprawled across his barstool, elbows resting on the counter and a glass full of amber liquid tilted loosely in his hand. The ridges of his shoulder blades were flexed, sending the soft material of his tank top towards his spine where it pooled, displaying the muscles on the back of his ribs and a white bandage across his shoulder blades. His head was down and his hair looked ruffled, disturbed. 
    It was hot in the bar and I waded through the air, feeling it pressing down on me, thick and wet. I slid onto the stool next to Snake, resting my elbows on the bar and tapping his shoulder slightly. The countertop was sticky and my elbows slipped a little in condensation, my arms dropping to my sides instinctively. 
    Snake's head jerked up and he nearly knocked his glass over, blinking over at me confusedly. 
    "Hey, Snake." I smiled. His pale cheeks were flushed and his eyes glazed, a crease appearing between his eyebrows. There was old eyeliner smudged under his eyes, dripping in black trails from the heat in the room. 
    "Do I owe you money?" Snake asked slowly, ruffling one hand through his hair and making it stick up crazily. 
    "No, Snake, it's me. It's Tao." I said, carefully reaching out to take the glass from him and slide it away. Snake nodded, dropping his head into his hands and scrubbing at his face. 
    "Okay." Snake muttered. I patted his back gently, sweat soaking through his shirt and heating my hand. 
    "Come on, let's go home." I said, carefully easing my hands around his shoulders and feeling the hard points of his shoulder joints shift under my palms. I pulled him off the stool, staggering a little when he sagged against me. 
    "Don't wanna go home." Snake slurred into my neck, his breath fanning over me and smelling of alcohol. I kept one arm around him, holding him tight to myself and guiding him outside. 
    "We're going to my house. Come on." I urged. There was no way I was leaving Snake alone like this, and I sighed when the cool night air slid over my skin. 
    "You're making me walk home?" Snake whined, his voice still slow and blurred at the edges. 
    "To the car." I corrected. He raised his head slightly, his hair tickling the underside of my chin, and his steps stumbled along next to me. 
    "I don't want to walk home." Snake whined again. It appeared he was a determined drunk. 
    "To the car." I repeated, unlocking the car and opening the passenger door. Snake eased inside, sprawling out onto the seat and blinking. 
    I sighed, getting into the driver's side and closing the door firmly. Snake's eyes were closed now and he relaxed against the seat, his head tilted to the side. I started the car and began to pull out of the parking lot, rolling the windows down to get some fresh air. 
    After a few minutes, I used the hands-free device in the car to call Kris. The phone rang a few times, then Kris' voice came on over the speakers. 
    "Hello?" Kris said. 
    "Hey! Yeah, so I've got Snake now. We're coming back to the house; he can stay in the guest room." I said, looking over when Snake sat up suddenly, his palm pressed tightly to his mouth.     
    "Can you go slower?" Snake pleaded, sweat dampening his brow. I nodded, slowing down and digging around distractedly for any discarded plastic bags. 
    "How is he?" Kris' voice crackled over the speakers and I shot Snake another worried look, praying he didn't puke in my nice car. 
    "I'll let you know." I said, ending the call and patting Snake's knee. His eyes opened and he looked at me, still hazy. "Are you alright?" 
    "How far away is your house?" Snake asked instead. Damn, he was really far gone. 
    "Okay, no more drinks for you. We're only about two minutes away right now." I reassured him. Snake didn't look like he was objecting to my previous comment, closing his eyes and panting. 
    I nearly cried with relief when I saw the gate rising up in front of us, hurrying to punch in the code and park the car. 
    "Come on, let's get you inside." I said, wrapping my arm against him once again. He seemed even drunker now from just sitting down, his body metabolizing more alcohol and making him stumble heavily.    
    I opened the front door with my free hand, the other around his shoulders, and kicked off my shoes. Snake did the same, sloppily kicking his boots to the side and turning back to me. 
    "Where is your bathroom?" Snake asked. He pressed his palm to his mouth again immediately after he asked and I guided him quickly to the nearest restroom. 
    He barely made it to the toilet before he threw up, crouched on the floor. I sighed and rubbed his back, resting my free palm on his forehead and supporting his head for him. Kris wandered in and his eyes widened, taking in Snake and I. 
    "I'll get some clean clothes." Kris said a second later, disappearing. Snake gagged and then spat, straightening up and dragging the back of his wrist across his mouth. 
    "Here, rinse your mouth out." I said, guiding him to the sink and running the cold water. Snake cupped his hands and obediently swished and spat, splashing more water over his face. 
    "Come on, you can sit on the couc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter