Truth

Dragon Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    I rolled over in bed, my eyes opening and my hands finding Kris' tucked under his chin. I smoothed my fingertips gently over the faint scars on his palms, looking up when his gold eyes flickered open. He smiled ever so softly, his fingers tightening around mine and warming them. 
    "We should get to the hospital. Yixing will be out today." I said quietly. Kris nodded but made no moves to get up, pulling his hands from mine to wrap his arms around my shoulders and drag me closer to him. 
    "Something's on your mind." Kris murmured in my ear, his rough morning voice shivering down my spine. I closed my eyes and chuckled softly, amazed he could read me so well.
    "What if they wonder? I can't keep lying to them about you." I admitted quietly. Kris' even breathing filled the room for several long minutes and I wondered briefly if he would respond at all, but Kris shrugged. 
    "I don't know if I can tell them. I mean, can I trust them?" Kris asked, tilting his head down towards me. I looked up, our noses brushing, and nodded. 
    "Of course! They won't tell anybody." I said firmly. Kris closed his eyes, nestling his head in the crook of my neck and sighing. 
    "Okay. I'll tell them. Just let me do it in my own way." Kris bargained. I nodded, resting my hands on his waist and running my fingertips over his smooth skin. 
    "Take your time." I said. "Preferably before the wedding though, so you have...two days?"
    "I'll tell them today. Let's drive everyone here from the hospital, okay?" Kris said. I nodded and he rolled over, getting out of bed. 
    "I'll make breakfast." Kris said, padding down the hallway and down the creaky stairs. I smiled, taking a quick shower and getting dressed. 
    I yawned as I walked down the stairs, reaching the kitchen to find two pieces of French toast waiting for me. Kris was just leaving his plate in the sink, pausing to give me a fruity kiss and then walk upstairs. 
    I munched on the toast while I looked over my stack of papers, pleased when everything was in order. Kris surprised me with a soft backhug and I leaned into him, tilting my head to the side when he placed a gentle kiss on my jaw. I turned, kissing his lips slowly and sighing at his warmth. 
    His hair was damp from his shower and I ran my fingers through it, inhaling the soapy smell that lingered around his face. His hands found my waist easily, strong fingers slipping under my t-shirt to curl just above my hips. His face was silky soft—freshly shaved—and I trailed my fingertips along one side of his jaw. 
    "Weren't we supposed to pick up Xiumin and Luhan?" I remembered suddenly. Kris gave a lazy smirk and a shrug, leaning forward again. 
    "Forget about them." Kris smiled, connecting our lips again. The kiss was slow and sweet, my arms clasped loosely around his neck.  
    "Hello?" I turned at Luhan's voice, finding him leaning on the kitchen windowsill, his head halfway in the house. 
    "Whoa, you guys really do make out all the time." Xiumin commented from the other windowsill, smirking when I blushed bright red.  
    "What are you guys doing here?" Kris asked, holding me gently in place when I lunged for Luhan. 
    "You were supposed to pick us up twenty minutes ago. Let's go!" Luhan said, shaking his head at us. 
    We hurried to the hospital, finding Yixing and Suho waiting for us at the exit. Yixing got to his feet easily, taking careful steps towards us and smiling.     
    "Are you in pain?" I asked. 
    "Is there any real damage to your spine?" Xiumin broke in. 
    "Can you go home?" Luhan finished. 
    "I'm completely fine." Yixing said in response to our anxious questions. We all hugged him and Suho, piling into the car and returning to Kris and my's house. 
    "Guys, can you come sit on the couch?" I called, entering the living room. They all obediently filed into the room, clambering onto the couch and wrestling for space like a bunch of puppies. 
    Kris and I remained standing, our hands laced firmly together and our sides pressed together. I could tell Kris was nervous about telling them, so I decided to start talking. 
    "There's something Kris and I have to tell you." I said quietly, squeezing his hand gently in mine. Suho, Yixing, Luhan, and Xiumin looked vaguely curious, still shifting around on the couch and trying to find room for themselves. 
    "There's a lot about Kris that you guys don't know, and we want to tell you now." I continued. They all paid attention at that, straightening up. Kris cleared his throat and I could feel his pulse through his wrist on mine, beating anxiously fast. 
    "Get on with it then." Luhan said, crossing his arms with his legs thrown over Xiumin's lap. 
    "Um...I don't really know how to explain." Kris started, pinning me with a helpless and scared look in his eyes.      
    "Maybe you could just show them?" I suggested softly, trying to comfort him. Kris nodded after a second, letting his fingers slip through mine before standing up in front of our friends. 
    "This is going to seem a little bit crazy." Kris warned shyly, pulling his shirt off over his head and pausing. 
    "Tao, why is your boyfriend stripping for us?" Luhan asked warily. "I'm not complaining, just wondering."
    "Shut up." Xiumin and I said at the same time.
    "Just give me a second." Kris said, holding his hands out placatingly. Luhan shrugged and Kris turned around, facing the tv. 
    A few seconds later, his wings began to melt out of his back. First the tips, then the delicate midsection, all sliding forward smoothly. They finally stopped at their full size, the base of the wings rising proudly from Kris' shoulder blades. The wings were folded behind him, dragging on the ground, and Kris snapped them up and out to their full length. 
    "Ho. Lee. ." Luhan broke the silence, and I looked at the others. Yixing and Suho's mouths were hanging open and Xiumin' eyes were bugged out of his head, all of them staring in shock at Kris. 
    "This is some kind of prank, right?" Xiumin gasped after a few seconds. 
    Kris turned around shyly, shaking his head, and slowly shrank into the tiny dragon he had become months ago. I knelt down, smiling when he scurried forward into my arms and curled into a ball. I cradled him gently, looking down affectionately at his tiny head moving around trying to keep track of everyone at once. 
    "Um. Okay. What is going on?" Suho said slowly. Kris crawled up my arm, perching on my shoulder, and his tail draped over my ear warmly. 
    "Kris is a dragon." I said, my fingertips gently reaching up to absentmindedly rub under his chin. Kris tilted his head up, his eyes closing in pleasure, and a warm thrumming started in his tiny chest. 
    "Does anyone else feel like we're all very drunk and seeing things? Or is this real?" Luhan asked. Kris leapt from my shoulder in reply, his miniature wings beating the air briefly until he landed in Luhan's lap. 
    Luhan shrieked and an answering cry appeared from Kris, his wings coming up instinctively to cover his head. Luhan took one look at the c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter