Side Effects

Dragon Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    “I knew Liang was dangerous from the second I met him, but I didn’t let it affect my actions.” I said quietly, remembering that bittersweet day. I had been 16 and thought anything was possible; a mindset I would come to regret very much.

13 YEARS EARLIER

    I sighed in frustration as yet another shot rebounded off the backboard, my basketball bouncing off across the court. I jogged reluctantly over to the ball, scooping it up and dribbling my way back to the free-throw line. 
    I looked down, scooting my feet in line with the little sprig of grass that had grown up out of the cracked concrete, finding my focal point. I looked back up at the backboard, bending my knees and hurling the ball at the hoop. It ricocheted off and I sighed, jogging off again to retrieve the ball.
    I walked back to the line, fell in position with my little sprig of grass, and bent my knees. I was in the middle of making the shot when a voice startled me and I faltered.
    “You’re throwing your elbow out to the side.” I lowered the ball, straightening my knees and turning towards the voice.
    “What?” I said, looking at the unfamiliar boy.
    “Your elbow. That’s why your shot is going wide.” He said, pointing to the hoop and tracing the last path my ball took with his finger.
    “Oh. Thanks.” I said, feeling self-conscious as I turned back to the hoop. I could hear his footsteps behind me and turned my head, looking at him.    
    “I’m Liang.” He smiled, switching his own basketball to his hip and bowing to me politely. He was shorter than me with broad shoulders and strong arms, his body compact.
    “My name’s Tao.” I said, looking up at the hoop. I went to take the shot and paused when Liang raised his hands slowly, setting his basketball on the court by his feet.
    “May I?” Liang asked, his brown eyes finding mine and softening. I nodded, unsure, and Liang rested his fingertips softly on my left elbow, pulling it tight to my side. His other hand spread on my waist, pushing my lower back straighter, and Liang nodded behind me.
    “Now, just bend your knees and release the ball straight up.” Liang said, backing up a step and letting me shoot. I obeyed, a smile curling my lips as the ball swished easily into the hoop.
    “Thank you.” I smiled, turning around to bow slightly. Liang waved off my thanks with a wide grin, his teeth straight and white.
    “Happy to help.” Liang smiled. “Mind if I join?”
    “Go ahead.” I said, retrieving my ball and glancing back at him. He backed up to the three point line and shot the ball lazily, looking completely natural as the ball swished effortlessly into the hoop. 
    “I just moved in. My house is a few houses down.” Liang said, not looking at me.
    “Mine too.” I said, smiling. “You in high school?”
    “Sophomore.” Liang said, giving me a shy smile.
    “Same.” I said. Liang and I kept talking and shooting, figuring out we attended the same high school. We clicked immediately, and made plans for me to swing by his house in the morning and walk him to school.
    I had to head home when it started getting dark and Liang waved to me cheerfully, turning back to continue shooting for hours.


    A few weeks later, Liang and I were back on the court together, shooting hoops. We had both made the school team, and we practiced together every afternoon. I must confess I had developed quite the crush on him but didn’t dare do anything about it, enjoying his friendship. 
    I was distracted by Liang making yet another basket, breezing past me to demonstrate a perfect lay-up. He grinned and caught his rebound, passing the ball to me and running to play defense on me. I took the shot but didn’t chase it, turning to pick up my jacket and push my hand through my sweaty hair.
    “I’ve got to get home soon. Dinner will be ready, and I’ve got homework.” I said, putting on my jacket and leaving it open.
    “Oh, okay.” Liang said, looking slightly disappointed as he took another shot. The ball hit the rim and bounced away without going in, revealing the depth of his disenchantment.
    “See you tomorrow?” I said. Liang nodded with a small smile, jogging after his ball.
    I walked away, making it a few meters down the sidewalk before beginning to turn back. I couldn’t get Liang’s face out of my mind, and I didn’t want to leave him alone.
    When I walked back onto the court, Liang was sitting with his knees drawn up to his chest. He was facing away from me, the ball rolling despondently towards the field of grass Liang faced.
    “Hey.” I said quietly, giving my basketball an experimental bounce. Liang looked over his shoulder, his smile widening when he saw me.
    “I thought you had to be home?” Liang said, sounding cautiously hopeful. I shook my head, tossing him the ball and returning his smile.
    We played one-on-one until both of us were out of breath and streaked with sweat, sitting down on the asphalt to catch our breath. Liang let his legs splay out in front of him, propping his weight back on his arms. 
    “Don’t you have to be home soon?” I asked, leaning back to lie down fully and look up at the sky. 
    “Nope.” Liang said, copying my posture and sighing. The rough asphalt prickled along my bare calves and shoulders, Liang’s forearm brushing mine warmly. 
    “Want to come over for dinner?” I asked, turning my head to look at him. Liang met my eyes and smiled, nodding.
    “I’d like that a lot.” Liang said, turning to look up at the sky. I grinned to myself, my heart doing excited little cartwheels in my chest.
    “Come on.” I said, getting to my feet. I picked up my sweatshirt and knotted the arms around my waist, brushing the grit from my palms and offering my hand to him. Liang gave me a confused look and I smiled softly, beckoning for him to follow me across the wide expanse of grass to our right. 
    “Where are we going?” Liang asked, cradling his basketball in the curve of his hip. 
    “I want to show you something.” I said, looking up at the sky. It had just started to show the hints of dusk, a low bank of dark purple clouds rolling over our heads. Streaks of gold showed through the purple, and I held my palms out when a few small raindrops splattered down on my bare shoulders.
    “Show me what?” Liang asked as we walked through a gap in the waist-high chain link fence stretching out on either side of us. 
    “Patience is a virtue.” I said, glancing at him sideways with a smile and cresting the top of a softly sloped stretch of grass before us.
    “Right.” Liang rolled his eyes and followed me, my feet finding a familiar trail towards the copse of green trees about 100 meters ahead.
    We reached the copse, the air turning cool and wet. Liang was quiet and I flinched when I felt his fingers wrap suddenly around mine, his hand linking with mine.
    I turned and met his eyes, finding Liang looking at me hesitantly. He started to pull his hand back but I tightened my grip, smiling. Liang smiled back shyly and we walked towards the center of the trees, reaching a small creek.
    “This is where I come to think.” I said. “I’ve…never brought anyone here before.”
    “It’s beautiful.” Liang said, looking at the lush trees and blanket of green grass surrounding the clear creek.
    Our hands detached and Liang walked around wonderingly, peering at all the trees. I walked along behind him, seeing the clearing fresh from his point of view. I slipped on the wet bank and Liang grabbed my shoulder, pulling me back. I grinned and took another breath of cool air, turning to face him.
    “Thanks.” I said, tipping my head back to look at the canopy of green trees above us. I realized distantly that Liang’s hand was still on my shoulder and looked down at him, his other hand coming up to rest on my free shoulder. 
    Liang’s gaze was heavy on me and I raised my hands slowly, settling them on his hips. We watched each other for several heartbeats, rain pattering down around us, and I leaned forward to rest my forehead on his.
    “Zi, I’ve never done this before.” Liang said softly, his hands hovering on my shoulders and his head lowered.
    “Kissed a guy?” I guessed gently, loosening my hands on his hips in case he wanted to pull away.
    “Liked someone like this.” Liang said, raising his face slowly and tightening his grip on my shoulders. I smiled at him and leaned forward to press a kiss to Liang’s forehead.
    “We’ll take it slowly.” I said reassuringly. Liang shook his head, a devilish spark appearing in his eyes.
    “No need.” Liang murmured, tilting his head to the side and leaning towards me. I was smiling when his lips met mine, cool and wet with raindrops.  
    Maybe Liang hadn’t liked someone before, but he was certainly experienced with kissing. His lips slid against mine tantalizingly smoothly, the perfect mix of firm and soft. The kiss lasted for several seconds, both of us interrupted by the ringing of Liang’s phone.
    He chuckled, a blush heating his cheeks, and answered the call. He spoke briefly, turning off the phone.
    “I’ve got to go; my parents are home. Sorry, Zi.” Liang said apologetically, his grin from our kiss warring with regret at leaving. 
    “Don’t worry about it.” I smiled, waving him off. “We can have dinner some other night.”
    “I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” Liang said with a smile, sliding his phone into his pocket and kissing my cheek softly.
    “See you at school.” I repeated, reaching out to pull him back for a brief kiss on the lips. Liang broke away with a grin and waved cheerily, blowing me a kiss as he tromped away through the damp grass.
    I waited until he was gone to throw my head back and shout happily, laughing to the trees and the raindrops. He liked me back!


    My phone call went to voicemail and I shrugged, sliding my phone into my pocket and getting to my feet. My phone rang almost immediately and I picked it up, a smile spreading across my face when I saw Liang’s name.
    “Li! Are you ready to go to the movies?” I asked, running a hand through my hair and walking out of my bedroom.
    “Actually, that’s why I’m calling. I’m not feeling that well; do you mind if we take a raincheck?” Liang asked, his voice rough. I walked out of the front door and frowned concernedly.
    “Of course you can. I can bring some soup by your place; do you want me to come over?” I offered, leaning against the closed front door. Liang coughed and my concern grew.
    “No, no, don’t come over. I should be taking care of you, not the other way around, remember? Hey, promise me something, though.” Liang asked. I nodded, sitting down on the front steps.
    “Anything.”
    “Don’t go see the movie by yourself. Wait for me, yeah?” Liang said. I chuckled and couldn’t help smiling.
    “Ok. Let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you.” I said. “I love you.”
    “Thanks, Tao.” Liang said. The line clicked off and I slid my phone into my pocket, covering a yawn. 
    I stood to go back inside, then turned back. Just because I wasn’t going to see the movie Liang and I picked out, I could still go see a different one by myself.
    I walked to the movie theater and debated with myself for several moments. I guess I could still see the movie I originally planned; Liang didn’t have to know and I wouldn’t mind seeing it twice. I bought a ticket and some snacks, just barely making it into my seat in time. 
    I enjoyed the beginning of movie thoroughly, my mood dampened when a couple snuck into the darkened theater about ten minutes in. They sat a few rows ahead of me, and I recognized the girl to be Xinghao, a pretty girl who went to our school.
    There was something familiar about the boy that bothered me all throughout the movie, and I finally realized who it a few minutes from the end. Apparently Liang wasn’t too sick to go to the movies.
    Confusion warred with frustration and hurt, and I waited for the credits to roll before trying to decide whether to let Liang know I had seen him.
    I got up from my seat, clutching the empty bucket of popcorn and shuffling my way down the stairs. 
    There had to be an explanation for this. Liang and Xinghao must just be here as friends. I dumped my popcorn bucket in the trash can and waited by the door with my hands in my pockets.
    Liang and Xinghao walked through the door laughing, Liang’s arm curled possessively around her waist. She smiled brightly and tucked her long hair behind her ear, pressing a kiss to his cheek. Liang caught her hand and kissed her softly, both of them disappearing from sight when I ducked into the bathroom.
    I braced my hands on one of the sinks, my breath coming fast and tears threatening my eyes. They weren’t just friends, and he had lied to me. 
    I blinked quickly, looking at my reflection and clenching my jaw with anger. I would talk to Liang tomorrow and get an explanation, and before then I wouldn’t jump to conclusion.
    I straightened up and took a deep breath, splashing water over my face and relaxing. It wouldn’t be easy to get to sleep tonight, despite my resolve to put Liang out of my mind. No amount of resolve could truly keep him out of my thoughts. 


    I found Liang at lunch the next day, sitting down across from him and waiting for him to look up. When he finally did, he smiled at me and it was all I could do not to scowl back at him.
    “Feeling better?” I asked, a trace of something else in my voice. Liang looked confused, then nodded hurriedly. “Good.”
    “Something wrong?” Liang asked, reaching out to rest his hand on mine. I pulled my hand away and met his eyes, frowning.
    “You went on a date with Xinghao yesterday.” I said flatly. Liang dropped his chopsticks with a clatter and looked up at me, fear flashing briefly in his eyes.
    “I can explain.” Liang said, swallowing quickly.
    “I’m sure you can.” I said coolly, watching him gulp from his glass of water. I waited, raising one eyebrow when he choked on the water.
    “We weren’t on a date; we were just going as friends.” Liang said, trying to reach for my hand. I yanked it back and scowled, rolling my eyes.
    “Then why would you lie and tell me you were sick?” I asked. 
    “Because I knew you would overreact if I said I promised Xinghao I would go with her!” Liang said defensively.
    “You lied to me and I’m the one overreacting?” I asked, standing up. Liang stood as well, both of us pausing when Xinghao walked up with her lunch tray. She flashed both of us a smile and I turned to go angrily.
    “Look, it won’t happen again. Meet me after school today.” Liang called at my back.
    I didn’t go meet him.


    27 hours later, I found myself standing out in front of my house with a backpack of my dearest belongings slung over my shoulder. The door had been bolted behind me and tears trac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter