Finding Him

Dragon Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    What the heck was that noise? God, it was so annoying. Beep. Beep. Beep. I groaned, opening my eyes a tiny crack and slamming my fist down on my alarm clock. All I did was knock it onto the floor and it kept blaring, sliding under my bed with the force of its vibrations. 
    "Ughhhh..." I moaned, scraping my fingers across the wood floor, blindly looking for the clock. I leaned down further, my shoulders crying out in protest as I strained towards the clock with my face turned the other way. With a small squeak of surprise I overshot the distance, rolling out of the bed and onto the floor. 
    "Owie." I muttered to myself, finding the clock and shutting it off. I sighed and curled up on the floor, almost falling asleep before the second alarm on my phone started blaring. I swore loudly and pushed myself to my feet, running my hands through my black hair to get it off my face. 
    "M'kay, breakfast time." I said, forcing a smile on my face as I shuffled into the small kitchenette of my apartment. My sweatpants were slightly too long, covering the tops of my feet, and I slipped slightly on the wood floor with a small squeak. 
    Okay, I'll admit it. I'm not a morning person. Not at all. But at least I try, right? I walked over to the refrigerator, pulling out a package of eggs and a bottle of milk. Cracking the eggs and adding some milk before whisking it up, I grabbed some fresh fruit from the cabinet above me. When the eggs were done, I piled them on a plate and dug in. 
    After breakfast I grabbed a long shower, relaxing under the steamy water. Today was a special day, for more reasons than one, and I wanted to look my best. I got out of the shower and coiled a towel around my waist, brushing my teeth and fixing my hair. 
    Fifteen minutes later, I was ready. I had dressed myself in black skinny jeans and a white tank top, a leather jacket wrapping around my shoulders. A black beanie and sunglasses completed the outfit and I grabbed my wallet and locked up my apartment. 
    I walked down the street with my hands in my pockets and my earbuds in, enjoying the atmosphere of the fall streets. People walked by with smiles on their faces and the shops were already decorated for Christmas, giving the street a festive feel. I passed through the small antique shops before stopping in front of one. 
    As a special treat to myself, on my birthday I always went shopping and bought myself the first thing I saw and liked, regardless of the cost. It was only one day a year, and it was always something to look forward to. 
    I looked the shop front up and down, feeling strangely like I had to go inside. I shrugged and opened the door, smiling when a chime on the door rang out. I stepped inside, wiping my feet on the mat in front of me, and looked around the shop appreciatively. 
    It was beautifully cluttered, millions of nicknacks and treasures piled on shelves and tables in front of me. A small wooden staircase led to a second level, scarves for sale draped over the railing, but I was still in awe of the first level. There was a case of jewelry and paintings, sculptures and books, coats and hats...the list went on and on. 
    "Hello?" A voice called out, making me peer towards its source. An old woman sat behind a wooden counter, almost blending in with the piles of merchandise around her cash register. 
    "Hello, ahjumma." I bowed respectfully and smiled, looking around the shop again quickly. "You have a beautiful shop."
    "Awww, stop flattering me, young man!" The ahjumma cackled, her eyes twinkling as I chuckled. I walked over to the jewelry case, eyeing the earrings carefully and tilting my head to the side. 
    "See anything you like?" The ahjumma asked sweetly. I turned, shaking my head with a puzzled smile on my face. 
    "I feel like there's something here for me...can you recommend anything?" I asked. A mischievous sparkle entered her eyes and she looked me up and down, beckoning me forward with a gnarled hand. 
    "There's something here that's very special." The ahjumma said, bending down to pull a drawer out of the counter was sitting at. She withdrew a long silver box, holding it reverently and clearing a section of the counter for it. 
    "I've been waiting to sell it, but I think I've found the perfect home for it." Ahjumma smiled, untying the silver ribbon on the box and pulling off the top of the box. 
    "What is it?" I asked. She tilted towards the box towards me and I caught my breath, my eyes widening. 
    A silver dragon glittered at me from a bed of black velvet. Its tiny head gleamed in the nearby lamplight and its tiny claws seemed to almost flex into the velvet, it was so lifelike. Ahjumma lifted it carefully, revealing the individual links that made up the dragon bracelet. I put my hand forward almost mechanically, watching her fasten the bracelet around my wrist carefully. 
    "It's beautiful." I breathed, turning my wrist to watch the sections catch the light. The bracelet tinkled softly as the scales clinked together, shimmering against my skin. 
    "It's like it was made for you." Ahjumma said, also looking at the bracelet in disbelief. I nodded and felt the bracelet tighten slightly against my wrist. 
    "How much?" I asked. Ahjumma waved her hand dismissively, but I shook my head firmly. 
    "There's no way I'll just take this from you. How much?" I insisted, pulling out my wallet. She sighed, before nodding. 
    "5,000 won." Ahjumma said grudgingly. 
    "You don't want more?" I asked, pulling out a 5,000 won note and handing it to her. She shook her head, giving me a small smile. 
    "Take good care of him." Ahjumma said, handing me the empty box and shuffling upstairs. 
    "Him?" I muttered to myself, looking down at the bracelet quizzically. It tightened against my skin again slightly, comfortingly warm, and I shrugged. 
    "Time to go home." I said, taking the box and walking out of the shop. I kept my hands in my pockets and made my way back to my apartment, pulling out ingredients to begin cooking dinner. 
    I had to keep stopping to admire the bracelet, watching the beautiful way it caught the light. There were actually four little horns on its head, not two as I first thought, and its little eyes were happy and bright. There was a small fin on the end of its tail, and the triangle shaped links clinked and rustled gently whenever I moved. 
    The stew I was making was finally ready to simmer for the few hours before dinner, and I sighed and sat down. My best friends Yixing and Luhan were coming over to watch a movie in a few minutes, as per tradition, and I was excited to finally see them again. 
    I settled myself on the couch, watching the way the bracelet rustled and whispered against my skin. It looked more alive now than ever, shimmering and tightening around my wrist warmly. I focused hard, furrowing my brow, and almost felt like the bracelet had a heartbeat drumming against my skin. 
    "Yo, Taozi?!" Luhan's voice called from my door, an answering knock sounding. I smiled and stood, walking over to the door. 
    "Yo, yo, yo, man! What's up?" Luhan quickly smiled in English, giving me a hug. I chuckled and waved him inside, hugging Yixing next. 
    "How's our little Taozi?" Yixing asked, ruffling my hair and stepping inside the apartment. I motioned for them to put their gift boxes down on the kitchen table and plunked down on the sofa.
    "Happy birthday!" Luhan smiled. "Finally 20~"
    "Wait, he's 20?" Yixing asked suddenly from the kitchen table. I nodded and he swore under his breath, reaching forward to scratch something on his card out and write over it. I rolled my eyes and patted the couch, smiling when they joined me. 
    "Which movie do you want?" I asked, holding up a selection of three movies. 
    "All of them!" Luhan yelled excitedly. 
    "I like the way you think." I smiled, leaning forward to slide the first DVD in and turn on the tv. We settled in with bags of chips and sodas, talking softly as we watched. Yixing was asleep on the floor by the time we got past the title sequence, leaving Luhan and I alone in our discussion. 
    "So...found a new boyfriend yet?" Luhan asked slyly, raising his eyebrows at me. I scoffed and shook my head, shrugging. 
    "Nah. How's Xiumin?" I asked. Luhan's face darkened and I smiled slightly at him. "Spill."
    "Well, it's nothing really." Luhan said, in a tone that meant it was totally something. I prompted him with a raised eyebrow and he sighed and his fists clenched. 
    "Just...he keeps hanging out with his new coworker Chen who—" Luhan started to rant, and I joined him. 
    "—who he swears he's not sleeping with! Ha!" We both yelled at the same time. Luhan sighed and chuckled slightly at me, rubbing his face tiredly. 
    "Don't worry about it, ge. I'm sure he's not cheating on you. Xiumin's a nice guy." I said, reaching out and patting his knee. 
    "And that Chen is just weird..." Luhan muttered, glaring at the tv screen. 
    "Totally weird. Not attractive at all." I chimed in for effect, taking another swig of soda and focusing back on the tv. 
    "I'm gonna go check on the stew." I said after a few minutes, standing up and walking to the connected kitchen.  
    I lifted the pot's top, smiling when I breathed in the aromatic steam and reached out for a wooden soon. I stirred the stew and replaced the lid, walking over to the sink and turning on the water. I slipped the bracelet off to keep it from getting wet and laid it on the counter, washing my hands quickly. My wrist was cold now without the bracelet and I frowned, already craving the bracelet's weight. 
    I toweled off my hands and looked down at the bracelet. It shuddered on the counter and I froze, peering down at it closer. It was my imagination, right? There it went again! The bracelet rustled again and moved suddenly, the head of it rearing up. I jerked back and covered my mouth with a gasp, the dragon's gold eyes shimmering at me. Its little whiskers twitched and curled and the movement would've been cute if not for the fact my freaking bracelet was moving! 
    "Tao, are you alright?" I looked over with wide eyes to see Luhan giving me a concerned look from the couch. I nodded, throwing my hands over the bracelet and scooping it into my cupped hands.
    I ran to my bedroom, feeling the dragon squirming in my hands and quickly locking the door. I threw the metal dragon on the bed, pressing my back to the closed door and swearing as the dragon writhed on the bed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter