From the Past

Dragon Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    “I’ll tell you everything.” Ronin said, taking a sip of water and then leaning back, beginning his story.
    “My dad was a hunter. That’s why I joined the clan.” Ronin said, setting his water glass down.
    “Dad was a hunter?” Ryu interrupted, his eyes wide. Ronin shook his head, running his hands nervously through his hair.
    “We’re only half-brothers. Our mom divorced my dad when I was five, and married your father when I was 14. You were born two years later.” Ronin said.
    “Oh.” Ryu said, looking down at his lap. Snake patted his knee reassuringly and Ryu leaned into his boyfriend’s shoulder, missing the angry look Ronin shot Snake.
    “When I was 16, my father was killed. His clan wanted me to take his place as his successor, to carry on the family name. Mom didn’t want me to be a hunter, she thought it was too dangerous.” Ronin said, crossing his arms.
    “So how did you become a hunter anyway?”
    “Once you were born, the clan had leverage to use against Mom. They threatened to take you instead of me, and make you into a killing machine. It was an easy choice to send me instead of you, so Mom faked my death when you were four. I started training with the clan when I was 20.” Ronin said.
    “I’m sorry.” Ryu said, frowning. Ronin shrugged, his eyes trailing from Ryu to Snake and Kris.
    “How did you end up living with…these things?” Ronin asked, these words obviously the most kind he could come up with.
    “Kris and Tao adopted me, and Snake saved my life.” Ryu said, a bit defensively. Snake was glaring at Ronin, his eyes beginning to shimmer. 
    “Makes you wonder what kind of angle he’s working.” Ronin said, meeting Snake’s glare with one of his own. Snake hissed outright at that, teeth elongating.
    “I’ve been here for Ryu a lot more than you have.” Snake said, his voice low. Ronin rolled his eyes, deliberately taking out a dagger and flipping it through his fingers.
    “Yeah, like a half-breed freak with gills is superior to me.” Ronin said. Snake growled and Ronin bared his teeth, fingers closing over the hilt of his knife.
    “Whoa, hey. Snake, you need to start using your words, and Ronin, you need to pick nicer words.” I broke in, looking sternly at both of them.
    “I’m older than you princess, don’t think you can order me around.” Ronin warned. I narrowed my eyes at him, wondering if it was socially acceptable for me to punch him right in the nose.
    “How was your father killed?” Ryu asked, drawing his knees up in front of him to hug them to his chest. Despite the subject, I was glad for something Ronin could focus on without provoking Snake.
    “He was on a mission hunting a pod of nokks. He managed to kill all but one; the bastard stabbed him with his own sword.” Ronin said, his eyes narrowing. 
    “What happened to the nokk?” Ryu asked, not noticing the way Snake had gone still beside him.
    “I tracked him down and found him with a mortal woman. I killed him slow and I let the woman go.” Ronin said, his voice hard and full of hate.
    “How long ago?” Snake asked, his voice wooden and his expression unreadable. Ronin gave him a spiteful smirk, shrugging.
    “Maybe 17 years? Why, was he a friend of yours?” Ronin asked. My eyes widened when I put everything together, realizing the time line fit together perfectly.
    Before I could think to act Snake let out an inhuman yell, launching himself at Ronin. The hunter was knocked off the couch and they rolled along the carpet, each scrabbling for the upper hand. 
    Kris jumped forward to try to pull them apart, grabbing Snake around the chest and hauling him off Ronin. Snake kept kicking and clawing the air, fighting to reach Ronin and rip him apart. Ronin laughed and brandished his dagger, ignoring the scratch above his temple that trickled blood into his eyes.
    “You bastard! That was my father!” Snake screamed, throwing himself at Ronin. Kris was putting all his strength towards holding Snake off the ground, keeping the frenzied fey away from Ronin. 
    “Oops.” Ronin said, raising his hands in a mockingly distressed gesture. My eyes narrowed and I picked up the dagger from the coffee table.
    “Ronin, it’s time for you to leave.” I said, my heart hurting at Snake’s continued yells and curses.
    “See you next time you need saving.” Ronin said, giving me a grand bow before walking briskly out the front door. 
    Kris waited until Snake gradually quieted before setting the youth down on the couch gently, looking at him sympathetically.
    “Snake, I had no idea—” Ryu started, stopped by Snake turning his face away. Snake stood, walking past Ryu and out the front door, slamming it loudly.  
    “I didn’t know.” Ryu said softly after a few minutes of silence, sounding lost. I sighed, walking over to tug him to his feet.
    “I know. Come on, the best thing you can do is get some sleep. You’ve had a long day.” I said, walking him up to the loft.
    I left him curled up on the bed, reassuring him that I would be right below if he needed me. Ryu was quiet and I kissed his forehead, unable to fathom just how many thoughts he had swimming around in his head.
    I curled in next to Kris, turning out my light and stretching out on my back.
    “Do you think Snake is alright?” I asked, staring at the ceiling. Kris sighed, looking over at me.
    “No. But this isn’t the kind of thing we can help with; we can only be around when he decides he’s ready to see us again.” Kris said.
    “It’s still hard knowing he’s hurting all alone out there.” I said. Kris moved to rest a gentle hand on my hip, sighing.
    “I know. Try to get some sleep; we’ll find him tomorrow.” Kris said. I nodded, curling my face into his chest.
    “I love you.” I whispered.
    “I love you most.” Kris replied, calming me slightly. I let myself drift off, vowing we would find Snake tomorrow.


    I woke up to a throbbing in my ribs that was absolutely ungodly. I groaned and lifted the hem of my shirt, looking at the black bruises decorating my torso.
    Kris came walking in at that precise moment, his cell phone in his hand. He saw me and his eyes fell upon the bruises, closing for a moment in pain.
    “It’s not that bad.” I said, rolling my eyes, watching him lay down next to me. He pressed softly against a bruise and I grimaced, glaring at him. “Well don't go around poking them!”
    "Tao, I have something I need to talk to you about." Kris said, sitting up in bed. I began to sit up then stopped, fighting off another grimace at the pain in my ribs. 
    "What is it?" I asked, letting him help me up and prop pillows behind my shoulders. Kris curled close to my side, still holding eye contact. 
    "Well, I've been thinking. I didn't think the hunters would get so close so fast." Kris said, threading his fingers through mine and pressing an absentminded kiss to the back of my hand. 
    "Are you worried?" I said, already reading the tight set to his mouth. Kris nodded, sitting up again and crossing his legs in front of him. Our joined hands rested on his thigh and he glanced down at them, thinking. 
    "I'm worried about you and the kids." Kris said. If he hadn't looked so serious, I would've laughed at him calling Snake and Ryu kids. 
    "We're fine!" I reassured him. "Snake already expects this stuff, and Ryu is related to a bloody hunter."
    "But you've been in life-threatening situations twice now, and I've been unconscious both times!" Kris traded back, guilt seeping into his voice. 
    "It wasn't your fault. They targeted you on purpose because you're so strong." I said, reaching out carefully to rub his shoulder. 
    "I just..." Kris trailed off, closing his eyes and leaning into my touch. "I hate seeing you hurt." 
    "Haven't you ever heard that 'Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional'?" I asked, smiling slightly. Kris opened his eyes and gave me a sad smile, fingertips tracing the scar on my face. 
    "Anyway, I talked with Zhoumi, and I have something to talk with you about." Kris said, propping his chin on his fist.
    "What is it?" I asked, suspense making me lean forward. 
    "There's a way I could split my abilities and give you half of my dragon fire." Kris said. I blinked slowly for several seconds, processing, then reached out and smacked his shoulder lightly. 
    "You didn't feel like mentioning this years ago?!" I exclaimed, thinking how cool it would've been to be half-dragon all this time.
    "Ow, I just leaned about it, okay?" Kris grumbled. "It would mean that I would be half as powerful, but I would be more immune to things like dragonsblood." 
    "How is it possible to transfer like that?" I asked, wanting to understand fully. 
    "Zhoumi says it's only possible to do with a mate and it can only be done once. It's dangerous too; there's a very small chance that it would be too much for you." Kris said, gnawing nervously on his lower lip. 
    "What does that mean?" I asked, my brow furrowing. 
    "It would...kill you." Kris said quietly. I sat back, trying to think. 
    "What are the positives?" I said, trying to weigh the two sides. Kris shrugged.
    "You'd be stronger and faster. You'd be able to heal yourself like I can. But, there's a small possibility that you would be harmed by dragonsblood." Kris said. I was quiet, thinking it over, and then I nodded. 
    "I think...I want to do it." I said, still nodding my head.
    "You don't have to." Kris said, holding my hand tightly between his. I smiled at him, ruffling his hair softly.    
    "I know I don't have to. But I can take away some of your weakness if I do this, and I'll be able to protect everyone better." I said. 
    "You don't look like you need any help protecting everyone." Kris smiled softly. "And you won't be taking away any of my weakness if doing this kills you."
    "I'm not scared." I said. Kris still looked uncertain, and I sighed. "Why don't we ask Ryu how he feels first."
    "Okay." Kris said, looking relieved. 
    We got up and walked downstairs, Kris looking for Ryu while I fixed us oatmeal with fresh berries. Kris finally came back saying Ryu wasn’t home so I called his cell phone, relieved when he picked up. I relayed to him all the information Kris had given me, asking him if he thought this was a good idea.
    “Tao, I’m trying to find Snake. Go ahead, it sounds fine to me.” Ryu said, sounding a little too preoccupied to be distracted easily.
    “Alright, good luck.” I said, ending the call. I nodded to Kris and he sighed, nodding back.
    “Do you want to wait until after breakfast?” Kris asked. I took a large bite of oatmeal in response and Kris chuckled, helping hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter