Beach Boys

He May Be the One

“What…why are guys here?” I ask.

“We came to play in the beach, of course,” Tim Lee Lo answers with a smirk.

At that moment, Kim Hyun Joong walks over to me and grabs my arm and pulls me up. “Get up,” he tells me firmly. 

I get up with his assistance. “Gamsahabnida,” I say with a slight bow.  I soon regret bowing. ‘Ugh, he is going to hate that I’m being so formal to him again…’ I look up.  He is not in front of me anymore.

“Are we going to play with the children?” he asks.  He grabs the ball and starts playing.

Tim Lee Lo starts to walk over. “Of course, this is why we came.  The children invited us.” He gives me a quick glance before he starts to play.

Toa HaHa walks over to my side and pats my shoulder.  “I’m sorry.  We didn’t know you would be here.  Let’s have fun anyways, okay?”

“…okay,” I say as I walk with him to the group of children.

We all start playing.

At first, it was awkward.  I would try to avoid Kim Hyun Joong as much as I can.  I’d smile as much as I can but, in the back of my mind, I knew I wasn’t fooling anyone.  Toa Ha Ha would try his hardest to be entertaining, so that helped. But it took me a while to get comfortable, and that moment finally came after a few rounds of playing with the children.  At one point, it was okay. I’d laugh.  He’d laugh.  We’d all laughed.  It was like these two and a half years never happened.  We were happy.  Overall, I had a nice time.  It was only until it was finally time for the snacks and refreshments that things had become unbearable again.