What Will We Do Next?

He May Be the One

The scent of food floods the market.  I walk around taking in the beautiful aromas with complete satisfaction. ‘The sweet smell of Jeju food is amazing.’   The aroma begins to create reactions within me.  My stomach growls. ‘I guess it is time to eat.’  I walk into a little shop. “Annyeonghaseyo, ahjumma!”
“Yeh, please take a seat,” the shop owner tells me.

I walk over to an open table.  I sit down and look at the menu. ‘Mon-guk, jeonbok-dolsotbap, gogi-guksu…hmm maybe I’ll have heukdwaeji. I’ve been craving it.’

“What would you like to order?” the ahjumma asks.

“Heukdwaeji, please. Gamsahabnida.” I tell her.

“Yeh” she says as she walks into the kitchen.

‘Maybe I don’t have anything to worry about. Lee Lo said that he would keep my secret.  I don’t know if I should believe him, but for now this is all I can do,’ I think to myself as I try to get comfortable in my seat. 

..

My food finally arrives.  I eat in silence.  I can’t help but to look over my shoulder every once in a while. ‘Why am I so worried? I told myself a billion times that no matter what happens I…I don’t know…will let it happen.’ I chock. My mind goes while. ‘But what will I say? What will he say? How should I respond to his questions? I’ve done such a good job avoiding him until now…What should I do?’ My mind fills with many questions. I chock again. People stare. ‘I need to get a hold of myself.’

  I finish my food and wait for the ahjumma to ask me if I want dessert. ‘I am going to treat myself,’ I tell myself in order to forcefully make myself happy.  ‘Luckily, they serve yakgwa. It’s one of my favorites.’

Little did I know that my dessert would come with a price I have been waiting to pay.