The Day Has Finally Arrived

He May Be the One

He stands. I sit. Speechless.

The day has finally come.

“Aeygo! Can you please move, sir? I need to take some food to the costumers,” the ahjumma says in annoyance.

Kim Hyun Joong finally snaps out of his trance. “Yeh…” he says while slightly moving.  He then continues to stare at me.

….

“Please, sit if you are going to sit. I’ll take your order soon,” the ahjumma demands.

“Oh, yeh,” he replies as he sits down obediently.

….

….

We spend what felt like an eternity starting at each other.

“What would you like to eat?” the ahjumma asks Kim Hyun Joong.

“…water please…” he replies. Still staring.

She looks at him and then looks at me.  She then writes his order down. “Aaeygo, you kids look too young to be mad at each other like that…” she says as she walks away.

“What are you doing here? Where have you been? Do you know how long I’ve been waiting to see you? Every time….every time I’ve tried looking for you. I couldn’t find you…..or…or… they wouldn’t let me see you…but now…” he says. His eyes widen as he speaks.  It looks as if he is going crazy.

“…I…I…” I lose my voice. ‘How?...How am I suppose to answer his questions…I thought I was ready…but I’m not…’

‘This is too much.’

“SPEAK TO ME!!” he yells.
“Yah! Aeygo….young man how dare you speak to a lady like that!” the ahjumma yells back.  She walks over and points at Kim Hyun Joong. “Aeygo…and do you call yourself a man? If you are going to be so loud and bad mouth this young lady, I am going to have to ask you to leave!”

“Ahjumma….” I say.

“Yeh…we will leave now,” Kim Hyun Joong says as he grabs my hand and forces me up.

“NO!” I finally say.

He stops and looks at me with a bewildered expression.

“..I..I need to pay for my meal…” I say shakily.  I reach for my purse. My hands are shaking.  My hand fumbles around my purse before I can finally find my wallet and hand over money to the ahjumma.  “Hopefully, this is enough…and if so please keep the change.”

“Are you sure you want to go with this man?” she asks me.

“….yeh…” I reply reluctantly.

She steps away from us.  He holds my hand tighter and we walk out.