Family

Mend My Heart

Eun Ji tried rehearsing the song over and over again. She held onto headphones and followed the beat. But something was missing. She repeated the lyrics many times but she couldn’t pin it down. Irritated, she stopped for a break.

She swallowed a mouthful of water when her phone ranged.

“Hello mother.”

“Hello sweetie. Are you still working?”

“Nneh. I’m rehearsing for the liveshow.”

“Just you?” her mother asked in confusion. “Where are your members?”

“Ani,” Eun Ji chuckled, “Actually, I forgot to tell you something mother.”

“What is it? Don’t give me any bad news.”

“I am going to perform with the Apink members and do a solo.”

“Eeeeek!~” Her mother screeched excitedly on the other side. “Omo omo, we need a celebration for this!”

“No need, I haven’t even gone on stage yet. It’s too early for a celebration, mother.”

“What do you mean? They recognized your talent and are willing to promote you. I heard that Gem entertainment is a very well-known company. And you, come home. I haven’t seen you for days, you don’t even eat on time.”

“Ok omma.” She chuckled.

“Bring In Guk with you too. I miss seeing the both of you together.”

“Do you miss me or miss him? Seems like an excuse to me,” She pretended to pout.

“Of course I want to see you too. But I want to see your boyfriend too. I’ll see you later then sweetie. Don’t work too hard!”

“Nneh, bye.” Eun Ji smiled to herself before hanging up. She took a deep breath.

That’s how it has become. In Guk and Eun Ji have already been dating for a while but work has conflicted their plans. With their current positions in the entertainment industry, Eun Ji finds it hard to connect. But In Guk always find time with her. Not saying that she’s not happy about it, there is just something that makes her feel restless and insecure.

Talent. Her parents were a bit disappointed in her decision to go for singing and were against it. They wanted her to do something less public. So they made her go on blind dates to avoid the music classes, until she met In Guk. He fully supported her and even took her to training in secret. That was how they interacted, their dates and love for music. To her, he was her partner in crime. That’s why she started liking him.

In Guk oppa, am I doing the right thing? The flashes of Bo Young filled her head. Should I tell him?

She picked up her phone again as a message alerted her.

Gukkie: Don’t think too much. I love you.

Seeing the message, she lightened up.

Mine <3 : You too. Saranghae.

She turned away her phone and pulled the courage to continuing the rehearsal.

*******************************************************************

In Guk on the other hand was typing on the computer. He held a Director’s position in his parent’s company and was a singer. He liked music more, but his family business held him tight. How he wish he could go out and meet Eun Ji every day. With her, he was able to free himself from the straining workload and naggings of his parents. Singing, to him was wonders and freedom. He was stuck for so long.

His blind dates with her in the previous years were boring and a headache, but turns out that it worked out for the better. He found someone who was in the same position as he was in, suffering for their dreams. At first, it was just plain pity to help her overcome the struggles of being force upon a blind date, just like him. But the more time they spent together, made them fall harder for each other. That was when he decided that she was the one.

But little did he know how much pain he could cause for someone.

Ring ringg

“Director Seo, your mother would like to talk to you,”

“Connect her,” he answered nonchalantly, busying himself.

“Hello mother.”

“Son, are you really going to continue doing this? How can you not go to the group meetings? Do you know how angry your father is?!” She continued to rant as In Guk turned the phone away. He didn’t like it at all. His mother has always been at the center of his life, wanting the best for him, but what she doesn’t realize his how absurd it was for him to deal with it.

“Yes, omma. I have other business to tend to.”

“Son, please listen to me this once.” She begged. “Please follow your father’s orders for once. How can you let Director Kang go to the meeting alone? Although you are both good friends and our company have projects together, how can you tell him to represent both of our companies? It’s a big loss. Aren’t you afraid of how others may think of you???”

Frustrated, “Omma, let’s talk about this some time later. I’m really busy.”

“What do you mean later? Are you not going to come home and apologize?”

“I have my own apartment. And I have dinner plans with Eun Ji and her family too.”

“Oh my, you are. That’s great. I haven’t seen Eun Ji for so long. Is she doing better?” His mother changed the subject, as she really like Eun Ji.

“She’s doing good.”

“I hope to see you two soon.”

“Nneh.” He flatly answered.

“Don’t answer me like that. Take care son.”

“Nneh, bye. You too.” He let out a breath of relief as he hanged up the phone.

********************************************************************

This is a short chapter! But hopefully it give a little insight on the characters.