Familiar

Mend My Heart

Bo Young entered the office and met her parents who were still discussing the music events.

“Oh my baby! Why are you here?”

“Omma, Appa,” She bowed before jumping into their embraces.

“You should be resting.”

“How can I rest when you both are working so hard here?” They just smiled at their cute daughter. No matter what obstacle she has gone through, she has always cared for them. They just love her so much. “Am I interrupting something?”

“Not at all. Not at all my daughter. We are just discussing the live show events with the various music groups. Tomorrow is the evaluation days.” Bo Young took a look at the group names and music titles and albums. “Is there something wrong Bo Young-ah?”

She stayed silent before speaking, “Nothing. I had just reviewed these songs earlier. It’s really interesting. I’m a bit surprise some of these made a pass.” She looked over them and put them back. Her parents smiled at her.

“I have an idea.”

“What is it?” Bo Young asked.

“Why don’t you evaluate the music charts tomorrow?”

“Me?” She pointed to herself in confusion, “But I just got back. I don’t want to interfere with your projects, mother.”

“I’m sure that you will do a good job.” Her mother reassured her. Her father agreed.

“Now done with the talk. Let’s go eat some dinner together my princess.”

“Of course,” Bo Young cheekily smiled and hooked her arms with them both.

*************************************************************

Today was the day. She tidied her hair into waves and wore a white dress with long sleeve lace and a white blazer and black high heel boots. She wore her black sunglasses and a white twirly hat.

She entered the company with her many assistants. She headed back stage before anywhere else. Only her assistant, Lee Kwang Soo, followed her in.

“You look very nice today, Producer Park.”

“Why thank you, you do too. Now tell me where are the groups that will be performing today for a part in the live show?”

“2pm and 2am is in the east wing with BTOB, ShinHwa, Big Bang, IKON, WINNER, WheeSung, MBLAQ, Bang Yong Guk, and EXO. In the West Wing is 2ne1, 4minute, Apink, TWICE, Sistar, SNSD, Fx,, Wonder Girls, G-Friend, Miss A, Ailee, and Baek Ji Young.”

They arrived at the East wing as Bo Young looked into each room to see every band busy and practicing. She skimmed over them and walked away towards the West wing. She did the same and went to the front stage.

“Where is the stage coordinator?” He hurriedly rushed to her.

“You must be Producer Park. Hello, I’m Coordinator Jo.” Bo Young smiled and asked about the lighting, controls, mics, and stage safety. The curtains were tested repeatedly, checking safety procedures. “You don’t have to worry about this so much Producer Park, it’s just an evaluation and audition of skill set.”

Bo Young ignored his remarks and focused on the lights and mics. “Even if it’s just an evaluation, it will decide whether or not they will perform on live to promote their groups. We don’t just promote our artists, we promote all. In that case, we need to detect all vocal and sound improvisation.” He just smiled at her in admiration.

Bo Young went back to check the roundup of every group. She met the girl groups who were chattering nonstop. She went to use the restroom and on her way out, the door flew opened and bumped into Eun Ji, a member of Apink. The water bottle splashed all over her skirt.

“I am so sorry, are you alright?” Eun Ji helped her dry her skirt. The earbud dropped and Eun Ji bend to pick it up and Na Eun quickly pull her back up.

“What are you doing?” Eunji was confused as Na Eun whispered to her, “Why are you bowing at her feet?”

“I’m not doing that, I’m just helping her.” She held up the earpiece that fell and handed it to Bo Young.

“Why are you being so nice? Look at her, she’s probably just another newbie. I haven’t seen her around.” Bo Young ignored them and walked out only for Na Eun to call her out.

“Excuse me, I haven’t seen you before. Which group are you from? Are you a solo artist?” Bo Young stopped but walked away.

“That rude-Hey you,” Na Eun walked out as Eun Ji tried to pull her back.

“She’s probably new, why are you doing this.”

“I need to teach her a lesson. Hey you, in the white dress.” Bo Young did not stop as they radioed her to enter the stage seats. Suddenly, Na Eun pulled her arm and swung her around. “I’m talking to you. Know how to respect your sunbaes.” Bo Young slightly bowed at her and pulled her arm away. Eun Ji then grew frustrated went to pull Na Eun back before she could cause anymore ruckus.

“I’m sorry for the ruckus but please respect your sunbaes.” Said Eun Ji. Bo Young checked her watch and gave them one last glance.

“I guess I can spare 5 minutes for you.” Eun Ji huffed in disbelief. “Please brace yourself as this is an evaluation. I hope you good luck.”

“Aren’t you being a little too rude? Singing is based on skill and talent, not beauty. Measure your time wisely before you heed others.”

“True, singing is based on skills. But it definitely is not based on talent. Because talent is natural. Hard work beats talent when talent is not working hard. You have to sweat and suffer for it. It doesn’t fall into your hands.”

“Talent means that you were meant for it.”

“Not in my dictionary. There is no such thing as fate. You choose to do the things you do because you chose to do them. Well then, 5 minute is up. I’ll see you later, Eun Ji-ssi.” Bo Young slightly nod and walked away.

Eun Ji stood frozen as she remembered those words. Although it’s been a few years, she remembered them clearly. ‘You choose your fate, your fate doesn’t choose you, Eun Ji-ssi.’

Na Eun shook Eun Ji and they prepared to go out for stage evaluation.

After a few minutes, the audition began. Many groups performed their song. Bo Young just nodded. And picked at what they were lacking. She tried to be as polite as possible but she was pretty blunt. Next was Apink. As soon as they entered, they saw Bo Young in the Judge’s seat, only embarrassment can fell their expressions. They performed their song: no no no

Their dance was a lovely dovey adorable move. Bo Young liked it but there was something different.

“I liked the dance, it’s a fresh look.”

“Me too. I think that your clothes are a key point.”

“The vocals and singing were in sync.”

“What about you Producer Park?” Every one looked at her. She sat back and crossed her legs. Na Eun and Eun Ji were playing with their fingers.

“It’s passable. I like it but I also don’t like it.” Every one stared at her in confusion.

“So is that a yes or no?”asked Producer Yang.

“Synchronization were nice. But was is more interesting is her, Jung Eun Ji. Please step up.” Eun Ji nervously stepped up to the stage center. “I see you are a vocalist. Can you sing vocals and singles?” Bo Young looked at her.

“I do. I can sing the vocals of-“

“What I mean is, can you sing solo?” The Apink members gasped.

“I-I haven’t tried it before.”

“I would like to see Apink perform at the live show and your solo too. Producer Kim, I know that you have been in the industry far better than me. I hope you will agree to this.”

“W-wait.” Eun Ji butted in, “I think that I should perform as an Apink member group together. Having a solo song to myself is too selfish.”

“I understand your values but we here at Gem Entertainment support every artist. I see you have the potential of rising as a single artist. I’m not forcing you to, I just want a chance to see your talent.” Eun Ji bit her lips. Talent.

“Nneh, I understand. Thank you for giving me the chance, Producer Park.”

“Me too. Jung Eun Ji-ssi,” Bo Young took off her glasses and revealed her face while Eun Ji froze in surprise.

“Park Bo Young…” She barely whispered. Bo Young who knew nothing only smiled nicely.