Fate?

Mend My Heart

Ladies and gentlemen. There will be a promotional surveying event. If you have a lover or is single, there is a really interesting item that you will want for the upcoming White Day! Yes, handcuffs. This may look a bit racy but I guarantee that it will be worth your money and time. The event for today will be called “War vs Love”.

Please step up if you are interested. There will be no charge, the following instructions will be free and worthy for a try before White Day.

The announcer began the promotion.

Ha Neul stood across from Bo Young as they stare at each other. He gestured toward her as they challenge each other’s gaze. Many people stepped on the platform of curtains. They entered the curtains as Ha Neul made his way towards Bo Young.

*Flashback

“If we really do find each other at the event, will you officially accept me as your boyfriend?” Ha Neul asked.

“I don’t believe in fate. And because of a certain someone, there has news of me dating circulating the company.”

“And that someone is me.” He pointed to himself and smiled gleefully at her. “I don’t get it. We’ve talked, eaten together, sent you home, and… kiss.” Bo Young’s face flush blush. “Why can’t you just accept that I am your boyfriend mentally like the others have?”

“If you can find me then I’ll consider it to really be fate.” She answered after thinking for a while. She took a bite of the ice cream.

“Remember your words.” Ha Neul pointed at her seriously.

“If you have the ability to.” She stuck her tongue at him. He picked up his spoon and stopped her spoon from taking the scoop of ice cream. He took the scoop and ate it, he ate her portion of the ice cream.

“Watch me.” He raised his eyebrows as she grumpily glared at him.

*Flashback

(Listen to: Give you Hell by All American Rejects)

Knowing that Ha Neul was trying to find her amongst the crowd, Bo Young ran around the curtain sections.

“In 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Stop where you are.” The announcer called out. Everyone stopped in the curtains of their own cubicle area.

“Wow, seems like there are many people interested in this event. First, the people in the pink section, stick your right hand out of the curtain gap and those in the blue section, please stick your left hand out the left gap. Our staff will now secure the hand cuff. Don’t worry these are not disposable cuffs or the cuffs that need a key.”

The staffs secured the cuffs. Ha Neul smiled as he waited for the curtains to fall. Bo Young smiled to herself. It’s true that she doesn’t believe in fate, but she believes in him. But if they really do find each other, she will sincerely date him, officially.

-Whoosh

The curtains fell down and their faces were revealed. Ha Neul stood shock as he look opposite of him.

“Uh… hello.” Lee Kwang Soo bowed awkwardly.

Bo Young also stared wide eyed as she sees In Guk stood by her side with the cuff on his wrist. They stare at each other awkwardly as the tension increased.

Ha Neul look up and sees In Guk and Bo Young cuffed together. The slight wind made her loose yellow, long sleeve sweater brush against her legs and jean shorts with her deep brown chestnut hair fly around. In Guk dressed in his thin leather sweater and jean slacks as he looked down at her. They both pull back in shock but moved back closer as the cuff retreated them, making them groan in pain as they clutched on their wrists.

“Yes, your other half right now be a man or woman. But that doesn’t mean you can’t be friends. The lock is a combination. You will have to complete a series of missions to get out of those cuffs. To get out of them, you and your partner will have to cooperate.”

Bo Young open in confusion as In Guk look away and ruffled his hair. “Nneh?!”

Ha Neul felt his heart throbbing as he look at them. He was only a few steps from reaching her. They were one couple apart behind her.

“You will have to walk through the festival of blossoms in the amusement park to find the missions. If you fail, you will be punished. If you succeed then you will get a hint. Good luck everyone. This is “War &Love”.”

People started making their way out to the entrance of the amusement park area. But the four of them stayed still. Well, Kwang Soo was about to leave but Ha Neul didn’t move so he had to stay.

Bo Young broke the silence and digest the info. In Guk turn back to her and glared at her then took out his phone.

“Who is the person in charge of the handcuff event?” he asked irritably. “What?! Get them here now. Are you kidding me?”

Bo Young scooted in to listen but he immediately turned away.

“What is the combination for cuff No.22?” He was getting impatient. “How can you be so reckless?” He hanged up the phone as she just stared at him.

“What did he say?” She asked. In Guk turn to look at her confused face then the cuff. HE ignored her question then walked away to the entrance.

Ha Neul was still frozen. How could this be? Are they really fated to be together?

“Uh… excuse me. Director Kang…” Ha Neul finally looked up at Kwang Soo.

“Nneh?”

“I think we should complete the missions as quick as possible if we want to be free.”

Ha Neul walked towards the entrance to follow them.

“Tell me, what did the person say?” Bo Young asked as he urgently dragged her towards the amusement park. She stopped and pulled back as her other hand held the cuff so it won’t hurt her wrists. He turn back and hissed as the cuff tighten as she pulled back.

She seriously stared at him, demanding an answer.

“He says we have to complete the missions. The password sheets were taken away to the headquarters by accident. Only the hints remain. Get it now?” He was annoyed. “Now hurry.” He turned back around and started going around to look for the mission stations of the arcade and rides.

“Why are we hiding?” Kwang Soo asked. Ha Neul then realize he was hiding behind the pillar that was obviously not blocking them at all, exposing the tall giraffe’s height. Ha Neul backed up and furrowed his brows.

“Are you jealous of Producer Park?” Kwang Soo smiled in delight. “Don’t worry, she only likes you.”

Ha Neul shot his head to look at the giraffe. “Really? How do you know?”

Kwang Soo nods his head. “She always giggle for no reason when she is the office at the mention of your name. She had ever done that before. I actually though she was a little…” he moved his finger in a circle at the side of his head, signaling ‘crazy’.

“I know.” Ha Neul answered.

“You do? Then why are we hiding and not completing the missions?” He held up the cuff at Ha Neul.

Ha Neul only look at the direction of In Guk and Bo Young. “I trust her. But I don’t trust him.”

“Oh…” Kwang Soo nodded. “Let’s trample him then.”

“Forget it. Let’s go finish the missions.” Ha Neul walked to the amusement park, making Kwang Soo confused. He stopped abruptly as he remembered that Bo Young likes rides and that he was scared of heights. But he didn’t want to leave them alone, a tinge jealousy.

“What is it this time?!” Kwang Soo urgently asked.

“Let’s go this way.” He charged forward.

“Eh?!” Kwang Soo’s mouth widen as he covered it with his free hand. “Why are we going this way?! Director Kang???”

In Guk dragged them to the pirate ship. Bo Young shot his a look.

“You want to ride this???”

“Why? You scared?” he taunted her as he clicked his tongue. She bit her bottom lip. What the hell is his problem??? Fine, I’m not scared.

“Let’s go then.” She walked up to the line as he followed behind.

Ha Neul and Kwang Soo followed found Bo Young and In Guk at the line of the pirate ship. He gulped as they sat behind the couple, the very end of the boat. Kwang Soo gulped and turn back hysterically to Ha Neul.

“Are you sure about this?”

Ha Neul wasn’t paying attention to him as he kept looking at the couple in front of them as he sees their backs.

“Director Kang???? I know you are heads over heels for Producer Park but listen to me here. It’s a situation of life and death! We can still go to the arcade now. It’s not too late!”

Ha Neul shook his head. “No, I’m fine.” He was determine to watch them carefully. Kwang Soo wanted to cry, he was scared of heights too. But because of his boss’s stubborn boyfriend, today might be the last day of his life.

Bo Young raised her hand up and let the anchor secure her legs. In Guk gulped as he thought about how high it would go. The last time he rode this with Eun Ji, he puked a few times before getting over it. But he needed to ride the simple rides first so he can get the passwords quick.

 Bo Young gulped as she remember having to request the staff to stop the ride to puke with Ha Neul accompanying her and patting her back. She silently smiled thinking of him, a bit disappointed. She and In Guk never spoke a word to one another the whole time getting on the ride.

The ride started as it swing back and forth, higher and higher.

“AH!” Kwang Soo screamed and Bo Young did too. But she and In Guk started to feel nauseous.

Ha Neul tried to keep a straight face and only try to focus if the two of them are having any physical contact, squinting his eyes back and forth. He finally yelled as the pirate ship rotated full circle slowly. In Guk did not say anything at all as he tried to maintain his tough image.

After the ride was over, the couple managed not to puke. Kwang Soo and Ha Neul was tired, especially Kwang Soo. His hair flew all over the place as he tried to come back to reality.

After managing not to puke, In Guk made his way to other smaller rides. The swing set, making Bo Young gulped. She hates small rides because most of the time it makes her dizzy. She looks up at In Guk who gulped, he was starting to sweat. He did look handsome, now that he has finally taken off the annoyed look.

“Can we ride something else?” she asked.

“Are you scared?” he sneered.

“Let me choose then.”

“Why should I?” he look down at the petite girl.

“Why?” Bo Young tilt up her chin, “Are you scared?”

In Guk almost flinch. “No.” he look away and tried to cross his arms, making her right hand dangle.

“Then follow my lead.” She walked away, dragging him. He couldn’t deny that there was something about her that attracted him, something that reminded him of someone else, of Jo Bo Young. But he just wants to separate from this Bo Young now. He didn’t mean to join the competition, he thought it was only for fun.

He realized he had made the biggest mistake of joining the event when he found himself sitting on the top of the ride, the metal clanking as the ride slowly went up.

Kwang Soo started laughing and crying as he sees the height and Ha Neul only closed his eyes shut.

“Uhuehuehue. I did wrong. Mom, dad, I have failed you. Your son is going to die young. Huehuehue *Insert ugly tears.*”

Ha Neul clenched the safety guard tightly as he squint to look at the surroundings, he peeked down only to start shivering.

“This is a good idea.” He shut his eyes and mumbled to himself. “I’m doing good, I’m doing good. Good job man.”

“Are you crazy?! We are not good. This is not good!? Life and death situation right here, literally.” Kwang Soo cried hysterically. “It’s my fault, wah So Hee-ah wagh!”

“It’s a good idea.” Ha Neul tried to convince himself but every time he opened his eyes, he knew otherwise. “This is a good idea. Man up. This is-This is…”

 The ride reached the top of the trail down at a 90 degree angle.

“This, is a very bad idea.” Ha Neul completed his sentence, as he looked down at the enormous height. Then the ride went down.

“AH!!!” In Guk, Ha Neul, and Kwang Soo screamed in fear as Bo Young screamed in excitement.

The men fumble back and forth as they each cling onto their front protectors and screaming their throat dry.

In Guk gripped the ride tightly, he cowered on the side, shutting his eyes. He hasn’t been to the amusement park for a while now. Most of the places he and Eun Ji go to are around the parks, festivals, more business related place and concerts of all stages.

No more tough guy image as one ride proves it.

After the ride ended, both couple had their hair tousled up in a mess but Bo Young was too excited. She turn to her now floppy hair partner who was sitting still, trying to calm down.

“Let’s go again.”

He slowly turn to face her. “What?”

“Come on.” She got up and dragged him out to another ride, leaving the other two men by themselves, still agape and not over the shock.

“I told you it was a bad idea,” Kwang Soo turn to Ha Neul stiffly.

“I know.” Ha Neul nodded his head. Kwang Soo laughed awkwardly as she saw Ha Neul look over at Bo Young and In Guk who were receiving their second hint. His laughter turn into a mix of sour cry and laughter, making a face, as Ha Neul got up and he had to follow behind.

They followed Bo Young them to another ride, causing screams and cries echoing throughout the ride. The result was the same but this time In Guk drag her to the last station forcefully, because she wanted to ride another bumpy roller coaster, one he hated, too scared to go on anymore.

Kwang Soo finally sighed in relief when they didn’t have to go to the last station on a ride. Ha Neul have to admit, he was relieve. He would cry if they went to another scary ride. He was kind of glad In Guk dragged her away. But no he has to find them again. Suddenly a bunch of high school students intercepted them. He lost sight of them.

In Guk drag Bo Young to an arcade booth of hammering the squirrels. He got a toy hammer and handed it to her before getting another one.

“This is your last game. If you win, you will be free. If you lose, you will receive a punishment but can still retake the mission.” The staff informed them.

They had to hit the squirrels 30 out of 36 times to pass. The whistle started and they began hitting the squirrel as it randomly spurs up. Bo Young was playing with her left hand, making a bit difficult.

“Yah, do it right. Why are you so slow?” making Bo Young irritated.

They were about to get to 30 until In Guk’s phone ring.

“Hit it for me.” In Guk told her and reached his pocket to answer his phone. He turn to answer the phone, causing Bo Young to be pulled back with him as he try to evade noises. Eun Ji was calling him.

“Hello lady.” He tuned. Bo Young helplessly try to hit the squirrels but he pulled her back, preventing her from hitting it.

And they lost.

Bo Young angrily turned to him with the toy hammer still in her hand. They lost and he is trying to be all sweet on the phone.

“Yah.” She hammered the back of his head harshly. He yelped and rubbed his head before turning to her with a pissed off expression.

“Yah? Who are you calling yah-“

“We lost all because of you. Turn off your phone and beat the game then you can go ahead and talk on the phone.”

“You-“ He pointed at her with the phone still in his right hand. He pulled it up, “Babe, I’ll call you in a bit.” He hanged up before earning another glare from Bo Young. He was a bit scared but seeing how pouty she was when she’s angry made him waver. She looks so much like Jo Bo Young, every expression, every action. His eyes turn dark again, leaving hints of hatred.

She pulled him back to the counter.

“Since you have failed the mission, here is your punishment.” They are given a couple flower necklace that connects together neck to neck. “You have to get the apple out of the water and each take a bite of it before dropping it in the basket.”

They looked at each other awkwardly.

“Sir, we are not like that.”

“Friendships can be built if not love.” he smiled at them. The couple only smile reluctantly at each other while gritting their teeth.

Bo Young tried to bite the apple in the water as she dipped her head but she couldn’t get it. Both of their head have to dip but In Guk was letting her do the work.

“Help me.” Bo Young hissed at him. He rolled his eyes as he scooted closer and they try to bite into the apple. It slip as they were about to bite into it. Immediately withdrawing after seeing the closeness of their face, they each take a deep breath before continuing.

This time In Guk was able to bite the apple and Bo Young bit the other half, they tilt back up with the apple still in their mouth. Squealing of excitement, they make sure to position themselves with the basket in between before taking a bite of the apple. They immediately raised their hands to high five but stopped. Bo Young and In Guk took off the necklace before going back to the game. Ha Neul and Kwang Soo were freed and he ran around, looking for Bo Young. But he halted when he saw them together, happily.

They immediately lined up to finish the mission. As soon as the game started they harshly hit the squirrels with the toy hammer, soon it became a competition to see who could hit the most.

36 out of 36 hit! Mission succeeded, a tie, 18 against 18. They were more than happy to part from the handcuff that glued them together. 

Bo Young lightly bowed her head to go look for Ha Neul and In Guk watched her walking away. He was about to walk away when he saw a motorcycle coming in the pave way. Bo Young caught sight of Ha Neul, she then waved her hand for him to see her. But he couldn’t see her so she took another step closer.

Beep!

Bo Young turn around to see the motorcycle coming her way.

She moved back as the motorcycle stopped right before hitting her, making her trip backward and scratching her hand on the cement.

Beep, beep. A bus crashes and Bo Young is tossed onto the window as the bus tumbles around. She is thrown off the bus.

Bo Young stops as she remember that piece of memory. In Guk, by reflex, was running to her but Ha Neul saw it and reached her first.

“Bo Young-ah, are you alright?” Ha Neul tries to shake her and inspect for any injuries. She shook her head lightly and look up at him. She sees a vivid image of him all wet calling for her. She blinked again and sees everything normal again.

“Nneh… I’m alright.” She wince at the touch of her hand. He pulled her up and took and put his arms around her, holding her hand.

In Guk watched them walk away, his eyes darting, never leaving them. He walked away and left the amusement park. He walked passed the gate only to look back, a lingering pain and hate. He brushed it away and left.

****

Ha Neul tended her hand. “There you go.”

“Thank you.” Bo Young withdraw her hand and examine it tenderly.

“Watch where you’re going next time, alright?”

“Yes sir,” Bo Young saluted.

Ha Neul put the bandages away and turned to Bo Young.

“About earlier…” He nervously spoke. “At the beginning of the event… I was close but-“

“I know.” Ha Neul hung his head in disappointment. Bo Young look up at him as he played with his fingers. She grabbed his hands, making him look up at her.

“Let’s date.” His eyes widen. She looked back at him, his eyes in disbelief, his face was priceless. “Why, you don’t want to?”

“N-No.” He held her hands. “I do. I really do want to date you. But I couldn’t find you…”

Bo Young shook her head. “You were only one step behind.” He gave her a faint smile. “Your effort is all that counts.” She smiled sweetly at him. “Let’s go, we have a date to finish.” She pulled him away. He stopped, making her halt and turn back to look at him.

“Bo Young-ah…” She walked back to him, leaving an arm’s length as the distance between them. He gulped before speaking. “Can I kiss you?”

She stepped closer, leaving only a few inches between them. She looked up around their surroundings, not many people were there. He looked around to see what she was looking for. Suddenly she pulled him into a deep kiss, putting her hands around his neck to tilt his head. A deep, long kiss. The kiss was mutual and soft then soon they fought for dominance until things started getting out of hand, his hands around her back to her bottom. They let go to catch their breath, their foreheads touching.

“Did that answer your question?” Bo Young asked in mid breath.

Ha Neul nodded. “Definitely did.” He smiled and they caught each other’s gaze. They broke away when turning to the side. Kwang Soo and So Hee stood, clinging onto each other’s arms, staring at the couple.

“I told you so,” Kwang Soo stated as So Hee nodded. “Our bosses are dating.” He turned to her. She only nodded silently.

“This is my woman!” Ha Neul shouted and grabbed Bo Young’s hand, making a run. They giggled along the way, Ha Neul yelled to the whole world and showed off his girlfriend Boy Young. “She’s my woman.”

No matter how hectic it may get in the future, he will enjoy this moment for now. The moment that she is his, the moment he is hers. Even if it’s just for today…

****