Goodbye

The Fallen Star

"I'd better clear these up." Byeol looked at the pile of love letters on her table and sighed. She never threw any of them away. They were a constant reminder of her human life. 

She carelessly browsed through each letter, but stopped at the sight of a black envelope with shiny stars. There were several of these among the huge pile. She opened the first one to read.

*Byeol-ssi,This sounds really formal and i can't believe i'm actually doing this, but it was love at first sight when you appeared the first day. Will you accept my heart?Sunwoo*

Byeol gasped. She never even knew the existence of these letters. So these were definitely confession letters. Why hadn't she read them before? Maybe they could have avoided all those confrontations and stuff. Byeol's eyes were b with tears. "Oppa, i'm sorry.... i'm sorry...."

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Byeol stared at the sky and sighed. She had changed into the garment she had arrived in, a pure white dress. Was it really a good choice to leave?  She gathered her photo frames and crept into Sandeul's room, where he was curled up on the bed, sleeping like a baby. "Goodbye." She placed his photo frame on the table.

She went to CNU's room and Jinyoung's room next and did the same.She peeped into Gongchan's room and saw him sprawled out on the floor, his presents spread out around him. "He must have fallen asleep while wrapping his presents." She smiled to herself and covered him up with a blanket. "I'll miss you." She placed his photo frame on the table and left.

Baro's room was the final one. Her hands reached for the knob, but she just couldn't seem to gather the courage to open the door. Taking a deep breath, she entered the room. She placed the last photo frame on the table and walked over to take a look at him. "Don't miss me too much." She tried to take in all his facial features. His curved eyebrows, lovely eyes, large nose, tender lips. 

She took the last glance at him, before leaving.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

"Haemin?" Byeol called out, looking around the room warily.

"I'm here." Haemin stepped out of the shadows, looking a little guilty. "Are you ready to go?"

"To be honest, i can't bear to leave earth behind. But i miss home too."

"I know how you feel." Haemin nodded. "The portal will open any time now."

"I hope i won't regret this." Byeol closed her eyes for a moment.

"Byeol... the other day, did you call me Haemi?"

She nodded. "Aren't you Haemi?"

"How did you know?"

"All you changed was your hairstyle." She laughed a little. "I'm just sorry i didn't recognise you any earlier. It probably would have solved all the problems. Especially if you told me you liked Sunwoo before my feelings for him starting developing."

"You would do that for me? You'd give him up?"

"You were here first." She paused. "Unnie, can i ask you something?"

"Go ahead."

"Did you leave the sky for Sunwoo? Was it all planned?"

"I had 2 reasons. 1, i loved earth more than the sky. Everything down here seemed much more fascinating, and i started to dread the sky after some time. 2, i was curious about Sunwoo. I wanted to know what it felt like to love somehow."

At this moment, the portal appeared, and Byeol felt a force pulling her inside. She grabbed hold of Haemin's hand. "Aren't you coming?"

"I can't."

"What?"

"I know i told you i might have a chance, but i lied. It's impossible to go back with a crushed crystal."

"Why did you lie?"

"I... i really regret it now. I thought you might change your mind but you seemed so intent on it... I'm sorry. I didn't realise what i did would harm you so much. I merely wanted Sunwoo for myself. I didn't know..."

"Unnie..." Byeol felt her hand slipping from Haemin's grip.

"I knew the portal stars back in, so i crushed my own crystal. I didn't think i would ever want to go back. I know this doesn't make sense but i'm really sorry."

"But why did you do all those horrible things to me, despite knowing who i was?"

"I was blinded by my love for Sunwoo. I didn't mean any of it!" 

"Help me tell them i'm sorry. And... merry christmas."

"Byeol?"

Byeol gave her a small smile, and let go.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Sunlight streamed through the windows and cast a warm glow on Baro's face. It was a lovely morning, but Baro had an empty feeling that he couldn't shake off. Getting out of bed, he noticed the photo frame from Byeol and smiled.

"Byeol?" He called out, searching through the entire house for her. "Byeol where are you?" He went up to the rooftop, and saw that a polaroid was taken away, leaving an empty space there.

He ran to Jinyoung's bedroom and shook him awake. "Byeol's gone!"

"What?" Jinyoung jumped out of bed. "She's gone?"

Everyone was awake in a second. They started searching everywhere for Byeol. Baro even looked for Hakyeon and Haemin.

"Have you guys seen Byeol?" He asked, face full of anxiety. "I can't find her anywhere!"

"Well, she came to talk to me the other day, and said she was leaving. She didn't say where, and i didn't ask." Hakyeon shrugged. "She seemed pretty cool about it though."

Baro looked crestfallen.

"She went home, her real home." Haemin whispered. "And i was the one who showed her the way home."

"You what?" He looked at her with alarm. "And you didn't tell me anything about it?"

"I'm sorry! I just showed her how, i didn't think she would make up her mind about going back!" Haemin argued. "I didn't know..." 

"Does that mean... that you're a star too?"

"I used to be your star. Until i came down here. Byeol took over my position."

"You should have told me or something! Especially about Byeol leaving. No wonder she seemed so sad yesterday."

"Hey it isn't her fault." Hakyeon was quick to defend Haemin. "Byeol was the one who agreed to it."

"But still..." Baro sighed. "I guess you're right." He tucked his hands into his pockets. "Thanks anyway."

"Also... she wanted me to tell you she's sorry." Haemin said softly."Thanks." Baro nodded and walked away slowly.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Things felt very different without Byeol. The house was 10 times quieter. Not the tranquil kind of quiet, but the uncomfortable kind of quiet. No one felt like doing anything. 

Baro reached over to the photo frame and groaned in frustration, he took the photo out and was about to rip it into pieces, until he noticed some writings on the back of the photo. It was a letter from Byeol.

*Sunwoo oppa, I guess you probably hate me for walking out on you like this. I'm really sorry. I'll never forget all the times we've spent together, and i really appreciate what you've done for me. I'll always be watching over you from above. Once your star, always your star.Don't miss me too much. Love, Byeol.*

Tears pricked Baro's eyes. How could she just walk out on him like this? It was christmas. The best gift was given to him last christmas and this christmas, it was taken from him. Why was the world so cruel?

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Meanwhile up in the sky•••

"Byeol! You're back!" Miryeon gasped and hugged Byeol tightly. "I was so worried you wouldn't make it!"

"I'm here now. That's all that matters." Byeol smiled. "I'm fine."

"You did great. I'm so glad you're back. You have no idea how much i've missed you!"

"I've missed you too. It's good to be back."

The Pristine star appeared, all smiles. "How have you been, my dear?"

"Great." Byeol smiled.

"That's great to hear. Take a break today, you can start work again tomorrow." With a sprinkle of star dust, the Pristine star was gone.

"She's right. Go and rest, i'll take over your duties." Miryeon gave Byeol a pat on her back and ushered her away.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Byeol sat huddled up in a corner. Clouds felt so strange to her now. She took out a polaroid that she had tucked away safely in her pocket and smiled fondly. 

It was a photograph of Sunwoo and her on their first date. They seemed so happy back then.

Tears trickled down her cheeks and she hurriedly brushed them away. No, she couldn't cry. She belonged here. Up in the sky. Where only stars lived. 

She wrapped her arms around herself and cradled herself to sleep. "Everything will be fine." She repeated to herself over and over, hoping the pain would vanish.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Another update because it's New Years' Eve! I can't believe a year flew by like this :'(

The grand finale will be a really long chapter tomorrow, so stay tuned!