Why Are Humans So Complicated (double updates : chapter "BLACK KNIGHT" and "WHY ARE HUMANS SO COMPLICATED")

The Fallen Star

Baro stared at Haemin coldly once he saw her approaching in the hallways. 

He gently pushed Byeol behind him and spoke, "What do you want?"

"I want to talk to Byeol. Could you just... move over?" 

Haemin pleaded."What is it?" Byeol stepped forward, ignoring Baro's frown.

"I... just wanted to say sorry. For everything i've done. I'm sorry, i really am." Haemin said apologetically.

Baro looked at her sceptically.

"I even cleaned up your table and got someone to fix your locker. I bought you new textbooks and a new set of gym clothes. I basically replaced everything i damaged. The emotional trauma i caused might never heal and i really went overboard. I know you can't forgive me just yet, but please accept my apology." Haemin looked into Byeol's eyes. "Please?"

"I accept your apology." Byeol said before Baro could stop her. "And i forgive you."

"Thanks. Thanks alot. Really. I'll see you around." Haemin smiled and left.

"Why did you say that?" Baro whispered.

"Because i'm a nice person." Byeol looked thoughtful. "Plus if acting nice is her only option now, i need to be nice to her too so i can find out what her plan is."

"I think i wouldn't have agreed if i were you."

She laughed. "It isn't good to hold grudges, you know?"

"But she hurt you!"

"I know. But everyone deserves a second chance." Byeol smiled. "It's okay. What's the worse she could do to me with you here?"Baro nodded. "Okay."

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Haemin tried so hard to be Byeol's best friend for the next few days. All of a sudden, everyone treated Byeol like royalty. They parted like the red sea whenever they saw her coming, and even offered to do her homework for her, to which she politely declined. 

She definitely wasn't used to all that love from people she wasn't close to. Even the boys could sense the difference in the way they were treating her.

"Did they just decide to make you their queen or...?" Sandeul asked, rather bewildered.

"I think they decided that if Haemin was nice to Byeol, then they should all treat her well." Gongchan pointed out. "Either that, or your logic stands."

"What a joke. Why does Haemin decide everything around here?" Jinyoung frowned.

"Because they worship her." 

Byeol scrunched her nose. "I don't like it."

"Neither do i. I sense something evil going on." Baro shuddered. "Why is she suddenly so nice to Byeol?"

"But what if Haemin is really sorry? What if she's decided to change for the better?" Byeol mumbled.

"Do you think she's that nice?" Sandeul asked.

"Why not?" CNU replied. "I mean, you never know."

"Byeol's got a point. We should just observe Haemin and guess if she's going to cause any harm before cutting off all relations with her."

Byeol sighed. "Why are humans so complicated?"

"Because no one knows how to appreciate what they already have." Baro replied. "And that's what's going to cause their downfall one way or another. Just like Haemin."

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Weeks passed by peacefully, and Byeol slowly gave up the idea that Haemin was planning something horrible. She even started to grow closer to Haemin, who wasn't as bad as she seemed.

"You're a fallen star too, right?" Byeol asked, sitting beside Haemin on a bench during free period. "Haven't you ever missed home so much you just wanted to give everything up to go back?"

"Sure i did. But after i saw how life was so wonderful down here, i decided it wasn't all that bad. So i decided to cherish my time down here instead." Haemin gave her a small smile.

"Can i ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Is it true that once a star decides to stay on earth, they'll age together with the humans? That's what everyone says."

"I suppose so. But that doesn't mean there isn't a way for stars to stop ageing again. Is what i'm saying even making sense?"

"Not really."

"Hmm. Let's just say when you decide to stay on earth forever, you can age with humans. But once you decide to go back up there, you can stop ageing again."

"You seem to know a lot."

"I've been here for a long time."

"How long exactly?"

"It'll be 18 years soon." 

A sudden thought came running through Byeol's mind but she quickly brushed it away. "That's a long time."

"It's been so long that this place already seems like home." Haemin said softly.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

"Kids, Christmas break is coming up and i've got great news for everyone. You'll all be coming back for extra lessons. Except for Christmas eve and Christmas day itself, you'll be studying all day! Isn't that exciting?" The teacher beamed, as everyone groaned. 

A string of profanities could be heard from someone at the back.

The teacher broke out in laughter. "Your expressions are priceless! I'm just pulling your legs. Christmas break won't be taken away from you kids. It's just a joke to lighten up the atmosphere before i end my lesson." The bell rang. "Well, that's my cue. See you kids tomorrow!" He waved and sauntered out of the classroom.

Haemin came running into the classroom, panting heavily. "Byeol! I've got something to show you." She took Byeol's hand and pulled her out of the classroom.

"Where are we going?" Byeol asked, shocked at her sudden gesture.

"I'll tell you when i get there."

They soon reached the old music room. It's doors were firmly locked, but Haemin took a key out of her pocket and unlocked the door, pushing it open with a soft grunt. 

"Well, here we are." Haemin flicked the light switch on, revealing a large and unkempt music room. It's instruments were either covered with a thick layer of dust, or rusted from old-age.

"Why are we here?" Byeol frowned a little.

"This, is your way home." Haemin smiled. "I've been here for some time, and i've done lots of research. The portal will open once the clock strikes twelve, indicating the start of Christmas, and you can go home."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Aren't you home sick? It's been almost a year now."

"Of course i am. But if you've known the details all along, why haven't you gone back yourself?"

"Can't we go back together?"

"Together?"

"I heard from some that the journey back takes several hours. I'll be lonely without a companion."

"But..."

"Unless you aren't planning on going back..."

"I am. Of course i want to go back."

"Great. So i'll meet you here on christmas eve at 11.55pm, okay?"

Byeol nodded. "But are you sure it'll work?"

"Affirmative. Don't worry too much. Don't you trust me?"

Byeol gave a small laugh and nodded.

Haemin smiled. "Let's get out of here before someone notices we're gone." She pulled Byeol out and saw the boys throwing daggers at her. "Whoops, too late."

"What's Byeol doing with you?" Baro asked.

"I wanted to show her something." Haemin bit her lower lip nervously. If Byeol said anything disadvantageous to her, she'd be finished.

"And what's that?" Jinyoung asked, his arms crossed over his chest.

"I... uh..." Haemin stuttered.

"The truth is... Haemin ran into some girl trouble and needed my help. It's not convenient for you guys to know." Byeol blurted out.

"Are you sure?" Gongchan asked, looking very worried.

"Have i ever lied to you?" Byeol smiled.

"You should have told us earlier." CNU ruffled Byeol's hair.

Haemin heaved a sigh of relief and gave Byeol a grateful smile.

"Welcome." Byeol mouthed.

"Well, no harm done, so let's all go for lunch!" CNU grinned and pulled everyone along with him.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Hope you all have a blessed Christmas Eve! ^^