A Way Home?

The Fallen Star

The night was dark and gloomy, with rain pattering down heavily. Byeol tossed and turned in bed. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead.

"Unnie, don't go." Byeol called out into nothing but darkness. "Unnie, where are you?"

"I'm sorry, i can't help you. You're on your own now." Miryeon's voice echoed.

"Where are you? I miss you so much." Byeol cried. "Unnie, please help me... Please help me find a way home..."

"Are you sure you want to come home? Where is your home?"

"With you. Up above in the sky."

"Or is it down there with the mortals?"

"Unnie... what do you mean?"

"Look into your heart and you will find out."

"I'll find out if you'd stop speaking in riddles!"

"Farewell, my dear Byeol." Miryeon's voice faded away.

"Unnie!" Byeol sat up straight, beathing heavily. 

"What was that?" She wiped the beads of perspiration off her forehead. She pushed the covers aside and headed downstairs for a drink.

"Your face is really pale, are you okay?" Baro's deep voice broke the silence of the night.

"I had a nightmare." She bit her lower lip lightly.

"It's just a nightmare." He shrugged as if it was nothing big.

"That's the problem. Stars don't dream. And i'm pretty sure if they dream, it would be a good dream, not a nightmare."

Baro gave her a small smile and patted the space beside him on the sofa. "What kind of nightmare?"

She went over and sat down, snuggling into Baro's embrace. 

"I dreamt that unnie left me to fend for myself. And...and..." she started to cry again.

"Shh... it's okay." He patted her head. "It's okay."

"Oppa, i'm scared. What if i never find a way home?"

"I'm sure you will. Everyone finds their way home."

"What if i'm not 'everyone'?"

"Don't be silly. I'll help you."

"How?"

"Ah, i just remembered something. Yoonji sent something over. I'll go get it."

"Oppa. Can you give it to me tomorrow? I don't want to be alone. The rain pouring down makes me feel lonely."

Baro nodded, and watched as Byeol fell asleep in his arms.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Byeol woke up in her bed the next morning, and found a package next to her. It was from Yoonji. 

"Did she find the files?" Byeol said to herself excitedly and quickly opened it. 

Sure enough, there the files lay. She squealed and immediately flipped through the files.

<< Article 18>>
Time : 12 midnight
Date : 25th October 1674
Place : Taegguk Soccer Field
It was raining so heavily, nothing could be seen clearly. Everyone's vision was blurred. What looked like a teenage girl entered the field and disappeared behind a huge, looming tree. Investigators could not find the cause of her disappearance, but it is said she has no kin.

"1674? Taegguk soccer field?" Byeol frowned to herself and immediately went to google the address. "Taegguk soccer field was built in 1634. Star Observatory was built over Taegguk soccer field in 1760, was demolished in 1873 and was left vacant until WM Academy was built in 1947."

<>
Time : 12 midnight
Date : 25th June 1869
Place : Star Observatory
A strange phenomenon was seen, as a teenager entered a observatory and was never seen again. Some have thought of the observatory to be haunted, but other reports have proven this to be wrong. Witnesses claimed to have seen the teenager mingling around with a few others before entering the observatory.

<>
Time : 12 midnight
Date : 25th January 1932
Place : Old site of Star Observatory
A teenager disappeared into an old abandoned shed at the old site of Star Observatory. It is said that the shed was used by the construction workers who came to tear down the Star Observatory after rumours of a girl disappearing after entering the observatory.

"All these happened at 12 midnight at the same spot on the 25th..." Byeol mumbled to herself.

Baro knocked the door and opened it, smiling brightly. 

"So, have you read the files?"Byeol nodded. "All the previous stars went home using the same pathway. They went to Star Observatory. It's been demolished and WM Academy stands in it's place now."

"And you can't decide if you should go check it out?"

"Nope. I don't even have the slightest idea of which area of WM Academy it is. WM Academy is so huge!" She collapsed on the bed and sighed.

"We could go explore the school. Not that i haven't done that before."

"I don't know..."

"You probably can't decide if you want to go home or not, right?"

"Maybe."

"Admit it, you LOVE earth."

"I like earth. I love my home up there."

"Take your time to decide. No one's pressurizing you."

Byeol nodded. "Thanks, by the way."

"Welcome. Just do me a favour. Remember that room i got so moody about?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Don't go in there, okay?"

"Why are you so secretive about that place?"Baro shrugged. "Too much important stuff in there."

Byeol nodded. "I would be half as scared if you spoke to me nicely the other time."

"Sorry." He rubbed his neck awkwardly. "I'll make it up to you!"

"How?" She tilted her head to the side like a puppy.

"You'll find out soon." He smiled and left.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Byeol was placing her books nicely in her locker when a familiar boy approached her.

"Hi." He smiled.Byeol smiled back politely.

"I'm Lee Hakyeon." He extended his hand for a handshake.

"Lee Byeol." She shook his hand.

"Did you read the letter that i wrote to you?"

"Sorry."

"It's okay. I can see you've got a huge pile. Ever thought of disposing them?"

"I might just break everyone's fragile hearts. I'd better keep them."

"At this rate, your locker will be filled with love letters instead of books."

"It's still manageable."

"Well, it's nice to meet you. I guess i'll see you around?"

Byeol nodded. "Sure."

"Be sure to read my letter someday!" Hakyeon smiled and walked away.

"Yah, was that guy bothering you?" Gongchan placed an arm over Byeol protectively.

"Nope." She pushed his arm off.

"We still have an hour until Chemistry make up class. Do you want to go somewhere?"

"Actually, yes. I think i've found a way home. Can we not go?" She tugged on his arm."Please?"

Gongchan sighed. "Okay." He reluctantly tagged along as Byeol dragged him to every corner of the school.

"It doesn't make sense..." Byeol frowned. They had searched the entire school, but she couldn't find a way home.

"Maybe you're not supposed to go back yet?" Gongchan suggested.

"If i'm not supposed to go back, then what am i supposed to do here?" She sighed.

"Make the lives of 5 boys better?"Byeol gave him a small smile. 

"Maybe."

"Cheer up!" Gongchan pouted. 

"Come on, i know what will make you feel better!" He grabbed Byeol's hand and pulled her out of school.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

"Gongchan ah, we're going to be late for class." Byeol grumbled as Gongchan pulled her into a cafe.

"Let's just skip Chemistry for once. I'm so bored of mole calculations." He sighed. "Sit here. I'm gonna go order something you'll love!" 

He grinned and ran to the counter, returning moments later with a tray and set it on the table. 

"This," he held up a cup, "is hot chocolate! And this, is oreo cheesecake." He smiled. "Try some!"

Byeol took a small sip of hot chocolate and smiled. "This is awesome!"

"You've never tried hot chocolate before, have you?" Gongchan laughed.

"Nope." She tried the oreo cheesecake too. "This is so close to heaven!"

"Food always makes people feel better. I learned that from Sandeul hyung."

"Thank you." Byeol smiled, and for a moment, it seemed like she glowed.

"You're welcome." He smiled.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤