A Pleasant Surprise

The Fallen Star

The morning sunlight filtered through the curtains and shone on Byeol's face, waking her up. She yawned and got out of bed, accidentally stumbling on a pile of Baro's clothes. 

"I really need to pack this place soon." She mumbled and headed downstairs in a drowsy state.

"Pancakes or muffins?" Jinyoung asked from the kitchen.

"Milk." Byeol replied Jinyoung, and got a carton of chocolate milk out of the fridge.

"I can eat her share!" Sandeul chirped.

"No more for you. You'll become a pig at this rate." Jinyoung scolded.

"He already is one." Gongchan joked, earning a light smack from Sandeul.

"Good morning, sleepy head." CNU laughed and ruffled Byeol's hair.

Gongchan laughed at her dishevelled look. "Byeol ah, have you looked in the mirror yet?"

Byeol shook her head and she finished up her milk. "I'm going to find a mirror now." She got up and headed upstairs.She met Baro on the way up and he laughed at her look. 

"Go and comb your hair." He soothed her hair into place and went downstairs.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Hakyeon was standing at the school gates waiting for Byeol. As he saw her approaching school with the others, he almost wanted to change his mind, but decided not to. He took in a deep breath and waved to Byeol.

Byeol seemed a little alarmed and turned to Jinyoung as if to ask for permission. Jinyoung hesitated at first, but finally gave his approval in the form of a small nod. 

Byeol grinned and went ahead to meet Hakyeon.

"Hyung, why did you let her go?" Gongchan whined.

"Remember that time when she flared up because we were over protective? I think it's time to let her explore the world. No matter how much we want to protect her, we can't protect her forever. She needs to be independent. That's what she wants too." Jinyoung looked at Gongchan.

"Aren't you jealous?" Sandeul nudged Baro.

"Jealous of what?" Baro replied, sounding a little edgy.

"You know exactly what i'm talking about. I mean, i can't possibly know your heart more than you do, right?"

"Wrong."

"It's so obvious, just admit it already! She might be snatched away from you if you don't make the first move."

"You're annoying today." Baro rolled his eyes and departed from the group.

"What's with him?" CNU frowned and pointed at Baro.

"Hormones maybe." Sandeul shrugged.

The 5 of them watched as Byeol laughed at Hakyeon's jokes. There seemed to be something sinister about him, but they just couldn't tell what. Something about him was definitely getting on all of their nerves. 

Maybe it was the fact that he was the only one in school, other than them, to have the courage to talk to her in person. Or maybe it was due to the fact that he seemed to be so close to her. They didn't know which. Or were they just too protective?

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Byeol trudged beside Baro under the hot sun, on the way home.

"Why do you look so confused?" Baro asked.

"I'm just thinking about some stuff." Byeol replied softly.

"What stuff?"

"Well, ever since Hakyeon has been talking to me, Haemin hasn't been glaring at me." 

"She glares at you? What else did she do to you? Is it anything serious?"

"She does glare, from time to time now. She used to glare at me all the time. But nothing serious happened."

Baro let out a sigh of relief. "That's good. You scared me for a moment."

"To be really honest i'm a little intimidated of her."

"What do you mean?"

"She's just so perfect. I mean, she's pretty, tall, slim, and looks like a barbie doll. Which guy wouldn't die for her?"

"I wouldn't. She's too fake for my liking. And who says you aren't pretty? I'll bash that person up for you."

Byeol gave a small smile.

They soon reached home. 

"Could you do me a favour?" Baro asked her.

"What favour?" She asked, confusement written on her face.

"Close your eyes."Byeol obediently did as she was told, and was slowly led up the stairs by a very patient Baro. 

"Remember the other time i said i'd make it up to you for being mad at you?" He asked.

"Of course." She replied, still going up the steps slowly.

Baro smiled to himself. "Don't open your eyes yet!" He opened a door and carefully led her inside a room. "You can open them now."

Byeol said nothing and just stared. There before her was the prettiest room she had ever seen! Pure white curtains hung from the windows. A single bed with a princess canvas sat in the corner, with a white dressing table right opposite the bed. There was a white cabinet with transparent doors which housed all her clothes and shoes. There was even a vintage study table and matching chair sitting in the other corner of the room.

"Here comes the best part." Baro flicked the light switch. "Look up."

Hundreds of glow-in-the-dark stars cast a faint glow on everything, making it seem so magical. "You'll feel more at home like this. If you're ever too homesick, just look up and imagine you're up in the sky with your family."

Byeol felt a surge of emotions build up within her. "Is this the room that you forbid me to enter?"

Baro nodded shyly. "I thought you'd be happier sleeping in a non-cluttered room."

"It's really beautiful. Thank you so much!" Byeol wrapped her arms around Baro's waist. 

Baro was shocked for a mere second, but quickly recovered and hugged her back. 

"I'm glad you like it." He smiled, heart thudding uncontrollably in his chest.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

I'm back from my Shanghai trip! 10 days seem to have flown by :/

Anyway, thanks for supporting this fanfic up till now, and i hope you like it so far ^^