Promise

The Fallen Star

The living room was unusually quiet. It was only 8pm. 

The boys would usually be playing video games or watching television in the living room, but no one was there except for Byeol. Gongchan was studying for an upcoming test the next day in his room, but where were the others? 

Byeol lay on the sofa and kicked her legs in the air, visibly bored. She couldn't stand the boredom any longer and went up to Baro's room.

She knocked on the door lightly and opened it, to see Baro packing his luggage. "Oppa, are you going somewhere? Why are you packing your luggage?" She asked.

"I'm going on a school field trip to Jeju Island. Sandeul, Jinyoung hyung and CNU hyung are going too." Baro explained.

"Why isn't Gongchan going?"

"Only geography students are going."

"Oh, so it's a geography related field trip?"

Baro nodded. "We'll be gone for a week. Gongchan will take care of you. If he doesn't, he'll get it from me when i get back." He smiled.

"Are you leaving soon?"

"Tomorrow morning."

"I'll miss you." She said softly.

Baro smiled sadly. "I'll miss you too. Take care okay?" He ruffled her hair.

"You just found out about the trip today?"

"Last week. I didn't tell you because i didn't want you to worry or get mad.

"Do i look like such a petty person?"

"Maybe."

"Yah, what's that supposed to mean?" She pouted.

"It means that you're cute." He laughed at her adorable sight and placed a denim cap on her head. "With this cap, I'll always be with you. You'll never have to be lonely."

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Byeol woke up early in the morning to see the boys off. They had all packed their bags and had a hearty breakfast before saying their goodbyes and leaving. Gongchan, on the other hand, was sleeping like a log in his room. 

She wasn't able to go back to sleep after that, and decided to make breakfast for the two of them stuck in Seoul.

Gongchan stumbled into the kitchen, nose high in the air, sniffing hungrily. "Is that food?"

"Seaweed soup and rice." Byeol replied, scooping a bowl of rice and pacing it on the table.

"You made these yourself?" His eyes widened, looking at the array of side-dishes on the table. "Or did you buy them from the market?"

Byeol laughed. "I think i've learnt quite a bit from Jinyoung oppa after living here for such a long time. These are just side dishes, seaweed soup, and rice, they're nothing to get amazed at. Just wait for the glorious day when i can make kimchi jiggae or chicken ginseng soup."

"I can't wait for that day to come. But then again, anything you make will probably turn out delicious. Aren't stars brilliant at everything? I see absolutely no fault in our stars."

"Have you been reading The Fault In Our Stars again?"

"I watched the movie last night."

Byeol rolled her eyes. "Just eat and get ready for school." 

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Byeol opened her locker, and again, a pile of letters fell out.

"It's going to be a full year and you're still receiving so many love letters? Baro hyung's going to be jealous." Gongchan shook his head.

"I bet he doesn't mind the slightest bit. Besides, he's not here." She gathered them together and unexpectedly caught sight of a blood red note with some scribblings on it. It read 'You're gonna pay.

'"What's that you're reading?" He asked.

"Nothing. Just another letter." She crumpled the note into a tiny ball and stuffed it together with the other letters into the back of her locker.

"Geez, i think you'd better clear those out soon. Your locker is bursting." He advised.

"I'll clear them soon."

"You always say that. Maybe those letters will be here until you graduate several years later."

"I'm not even sure if i'll be graduating."

"What do you mean?" He asked, momentarily confused. "Oh. You're talking about going home, aren't you?"

"Yeah." There was a sad expression in her eyes.

"We'll have plenty of time to think about that later. Let's go to class first." He hooked his arm happily though hers.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

The day passed by effortlessly and soon it was time for extra-lessons. Gongchan was  very reluctant to let Byeol go. 

"Can't i go to astronomy class with you?" He pouted.

"You don't even know a single thing about astronomy." she replied.

"But i don't want to leave you alone." He frowned.

"Relax. I'll be fine. Meet you after school at the gates?"

"Okay." He said sadly and walked away. "I'll be watching you!" He shouted from some distance away.

"People will think you're a stalker!" She laughed and entered the classroom.

Haemin smiled when she entered and walked over to where Byeol was sitting. "Hey."

"Hi." Byeol replied softly.

"Baro isn't here to protect you today, huh?"

Byeol didn't say a single word.

"Yah. Reply me." Haemin frowned.

"He's off on a field trip."

"In that case... can i sit beside you?"

Byeol nodded, eyeing Haemin warily. 

"Have i perhaps, met you somewhere before? Before i came to this school." Byeol asked.

"I don't know, have i?" Haemin smirked.

"Nevermind. That isn't important." Byeol turned her attention back to the professor who was teaching the others about constellations.

Class soon ended and Byeol stood up to leave, but was pulled back by Haemin who was gripping her wrist tightly. 

"I know what you are." Haemin said, a smile plastered all over her face.

Byeol turned to look at her. She saw a tiny gas jar containing crystal fragments hanging off a necklace. 

A thought flashed through her mind and she smiled a sweet smile. "I know what you are too." She broke free of Haemin's grasp and went off to meet Gongchan.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Gongchan and Byeol walked in silence, with Byeol pondering over what she had said. Did Haemin really mean it? Was Haemin really what she thought she was?

"What's bothering you? You seem to be thinking a lot recently." Gongchan nudged her lightly.

"It's nothing."

"Is it about going home again?"

"Uh...yeah..."

"Is it a must for you to go back?"

"You asked the same question as Baro oppa. My reply will be the same. I don't know yet."

"Do you want to go back?"

"Of course i do."

Her words hit him in the face, and his face fell. Byeol felt a wave of guilt rushing through her.

"But as much as i want to go back, i want to stay here too." She said softly. "I'm sorry... i didn't mean for it to sound that way..."

Gongchan's lips curved upwards. "It's okay. At least you want to stay here too." He gave her a hug on the spot. "But promise me one thing."

"What's that?"

"Don't just disappear without saying goodbye. If you do, i just might hate you for the rest of my life."

The last part was meant as a joke, but somehow Byeol took it seriously. "I won't. Promise."

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

I'll be a little busy for the next 7 days before i fly off, so i might not be able to update that frequently :(

Hope you guys are enjoying the story thus far! And if you have any comments or ideas for chapters please leave them below in the comment section! ^^