Special Powers

The Fallen Star

Gwangju was a crowded city, with buildings clumped together. 

They squeezed through alleys and reached a tall, posh building.

"Your grandmother lives here?" Byeol asked. "It looks like a resort."

"She owns a unit here." Baro replied, holding the doors open for Byeol.

They took the lift up to the 15th storey, and to their left, was Baro's grandmother's unit. 

He took a deep breath and knocked on the door. "Halmeoni? Eomeoni?"

A young girl opened the door and smiled. "Oppa!" She squealed, wrapping her arms around his waist. "Eomma! Oppa's here! And he brought a girl!"

"Yah, keep it down." Baro placed his hand over and muffled his sister's voice. 

"This is my little sister. Yoonji." He said to Byeol.

"Sunwoo!" A cheery middle-aged woman smiled. "Come on in. And who's this beautiful young lady you've brought along?"

"Eomma," he cleared his throat. "This is my friend. Lee Byeol."

"Eomeoni, nice to meet you." Byeol bowed.

"Aigoo, you seem so sweet. Come in, both of you. You can call me Cha eomma, dear." Cha eomma smiled. "It's very nice to meet you. Did Sunwoo bully you?"

"Not even once. He's very nice to me." Byeol smiled.

"Yoonji ah, is that your boyfriend?" A old lady squinted from her wheelchair.

Yoonji laughed. "Halmeoni, he's your grandson! Cha Sunwoo."

"Sunwoo? I don't have a grandson by the name of Sunwoo. Don't you lie to me." The old lady frowned.

"Halmeoni, i'm telling the truth!" Yoonji pouted.

"I told you she doesn't remember me." Baro seemed downcast. "Let's go."

"Sunwoo? Don't leave yet. At least wait for your father to return from work at 6." Cha eomma looked at him with sad eyes.

"Let's stay for awhile more." Byeol said softly.

Baro sighed and nodded. "Alright then."

Byeol grinned. *It's time to work my powers.* She looked at the elderly woman and went forward to talk to her. "Halmeoni, my name's Byeol. Lee Byeol. I'm Sunwoo's friend." She smiled.

"I don't know any Sunwoo." The old lady shook her head.

"Halmeoni, please try to remember." Byeol placed one hand on her crystal and the other hand on the old lady's hand. "Do you remember Sunwoo?"

"Sunwoo..." halmeoni's face lit up. "Sunwoo! My dear boy, come here so halmeoni can take a good look at you. Why have you become so skinny? The last time i saw you, you were 150cm tall!" She chuckled. "My my, you've grown so well!"

Baro glanced from the slightly weary Byeol to his beaming grandmother. 

"Halmeoni!" Tears of happiness rolled down his cheeks. "You remember me!"

"Of course i do!" Halmeoni hugged Baro tightly. 

"Sunwoo ah... Sunwoo ah..." she chanted over and over.

Byeol smiled to herself. *Miryeon unnie, i'm finally helped someone. Am i supposed to feel this tingly feeling?*

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

It was close to dinner time, and Cha eomma was cooking in the kitchen. She poked her head into the living room "Byeol ah, can you come give me a hand? Yoonji's being lazy today."

"Sure." Byeol nodded and went to the kitchen to help rinse and cut the vegetables.

"How long have you known Sunwoo?" Cha eomma asked.

"Since Christmas last year."

"How did you get to know him?"

"I was lost and he offered to help me. Even though his other friends were a little wary of me, he didn't doubt me one bit. He's done a lot to help me all this time."

"That sounds like he treats you very well."

"He does."

"Do you two attend the same school?"

She nodded. "He's my senior in school, but we take the same additional class, Astronomy."

"You're interested in Astronomy too?"

"You could say that. It's my forte."

"It's nice to see Sunwoo bring a girl home. The last time i saw him, he introduced me to his friends. They're a rowdy group."

Byeol laughed. "I can guess. I'm friends with them too. You either laugh 'till your stomach hurts, or you cry 'till your eyes are swollen."

"That's very accurate. By the way, do you have any feelings for him?"

"What?"

"Oops, i didn't mean for it to come out that way. My fault." Cha eomma laughed.

"It's okay. I guess... we're just friends... normal friends..."

"I see. Well, i hope you two have a long, lasting friendship." Cha eomma smiled. "You're a really nice girl."

"Thanks." Byeol smiled in return.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

The stars were twinkling brightly up in the sky. Byeol and Baro were standing at the balcony, admiring the night view. 

It was after dinner, and they both had met Baro's friendly father. 

Cha appa and cha eomma were washing the dishes after dinner, Yoonji claimed she had homework to do and halmeoni was fast asleep, leaving the two of them to themselves.

"Byeol, can i ask you something?" Baro asked.

"Of course." She replied.

"Earlier just now, when halmeoni remembered me, did it have something to do with you?"

"Maybe."

"Don't joke around with me. I'm serious."

"I did a little stuff.

""Such as?"

"Every star has this pendant." She showed him the star shaped crystal pendant on her neck. "It's the source of our powers, and of course helps us in emitting our starlight. I sort of used my powers to help her remember." She admitted.

"Does using your powers drain you of your energy?"

"Sometimes."

"So that's why you looked weary."

"I did?"

"Yeah."Byeol let out a soft laugh.

"It's a miracle, isn't it? I read up somewhere about halmeoni's condition. She shouldn't be able to remember me at all. Even the doctors deemed it impossible."

"Nothing's impossible. Always remember that." She smiled.

"Words of wisdom from Byeol. I'll always remember it." He smiled.

"Standing here and feeling the night breeze, it almost feels like i'm home. If i concentrate hard enough, i can see the other stars all around me, and feel the clouds beneath my feet."

"Do you miss home that much?"

"Don't you miss home? At least your family is within your reach. I don't even know how to get home."

"You'll find a way." He smiled at her warmly. "In the meantime, i'll always be here for you. The others too."

Byeol smiled. "You really are the best." She smiled and gave him a quick hug. "Thanks. Oh and about that power thingy, just keep it between us for the time being, okay?"

"Okay." He nodded.

"Oppa, unnie, come out and have some fruits!" Yoonji shouted from the living room.

"Coming!" Baro shouted back. "Let's go before they think something's wrong."

Byeol nodded and followed him out.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

"Do you two want to stay for the night? I think the last bus for Seoul has left. You can catch the first bus back tomorrow." Cha appa asked.

"Yeah sure." Baro nodded.

"Yoonji, do you mind sharing your room with Byeol?" Cha eomma asked.

"No problem! Maybe i should start calling her sis-in-law." Yoonji teased.

Baro choked on his piece of watermelon, and Byeol's eyes widened. 

"Cha Yoonji!" Cha eomma glared at Yoonji. "Shut that trap of yours or there will be no breakfast for you tomorrow!"

"Sorry." Yoonji shrugged.

"I'll be sleeping on the sofa, then?" Baro asked.

"You still have your own room from ages ago." Halmeoni winked.

"The bed doesn't fit!" Baro pouted.

"Relax, we have a spare mattress." Cha eomma said and everyone laughed.

"I'll go wash the plates." Baro sighed and got up.

"Byeol, go help him. And wash the knives too!" Cha eomma ordered.

Byeol nodded and went to help him.

"I'm sorry about what Yoonji said." Baro apologised.

"It's okay. She probably doesn't know what she's talking about." Byeol laughed softly.

"Yeah. She just babbles whatever she likes."

"How old is she?"

"16 this year."

"She's really young."

"Yeah i guess so." Baro winced as the knife slit his index finger. Blood gushed out.

Byeol gasped. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

"Let me see." She took his finger and immediately held it under running water. "The cut's really deep."

"It's okay, i'll be fine."

"No you won't. Don't move." She wrapped her fingers around his injured finger, and clutched the pendant with her other hand. 

Baro felt a warm tingly sensation on his finger. It took awhile, but the pain eventually subsided. 

Byeol removed her fingers and smiled. "See? It's all better now."

"Thanks." Baro smiled."Welcome. Be more careful." She chided and continued washing the dishes.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

12th chapter~

Please do let me know if you have been enjoying this story so far :) 

P.s., i'll be overseas from 22/11 to 1/12 and from 15/12 to 23/12, so i won't be able to upload chapters unless i find wifi :) 

Have a pleasant day! ^^