SUPERSTAR Info Page

SUPERSTAR | Starship Entertainment New Girl Group | STORY ENDED!

SUPERSTAR (band)

 
 
SUPERSTAR
Nine-Muses-image-nine-muses-36261450-184
(Left to right: Saengmin, Saeri, Jin, Jay)
Background information
Also known as Superstar
Origin SeoulSouth Korea
Genres K-popdance-pop
Years active 2014-present
Labels Starship Entertainment
Yuehua Entertainment
Being Group
-
Associated Acts SISTAR, Boyfriend, K.Will, MONSTA X, UNIQ, Mad Clown, Sera, B.I.G, Cosmic Girls, HOTSHOT,
 
 
Members Saengmin
Jay
Saeri
Jin
 
Past members -

SUPERSTAR (Korean: 슈퍼스타, sometimes stylized as Superstar) is a South Korean girl group under Starship Entertainment. The group debuted in 2014 with the song "Happiness" from the single album of the same name. SUPERSTAR name comes from the group wanting to be excellent and super like their sister group SISTAR and want to be great stars .The current lineup includes Saengmin, Jay, Saeri, and Jin.

History

2014: Upcoming debut, Mia drops, 'Happiness', debut, comeback date

Starship Entertainment annouced of Superstar's upcoming debut on September 1st and how the group was also to be Sistar's sister group that have trained very hard for their debut. Members were released starting on September 18th - October 1st (in order of: Jin, Jay, Saeri, Mia). A teaser for their debut song 'Happiness' was released on October 10th and the full MV released on October 26th. Their MV  'Hapiness' reached over 1 millions views in less than 12 hours!

On October 28th Starship Entertainment announced that leader Mia had to drop the group due to health reasons and was replaced by new member and leader Saengmin three days before their debut. It was said that Saengmin is the older sister of Boyfriend members Youngmin and Kwangmin. With Jin being the younger sister of former Nine Muses member Sera.

SUPERSTAR made their offcial debut on October 31st at 'Music Bank'. They ended promotions for 'Happiness' on November 14, 2014.

On December 27th Starship Entertainment annouced SUPERSTAR would make a comeback in January.

2015: 'Expectation', fanclub, top ten, 1st mini album 'Hot Baby', 'Anxious', 1st full album, first win, First reality show, 'Unpretty Rapstar 2'

A teaser for SUPERSTAR's comeback was released on January 16th titled 'Expectation'. Superstar had their official comeback on January 25th at 'Inkigayo'.

On January 28th SUPERSTAR annouced their fanclub name to be Shining Stars and their color would be gold. At the same time 'Expectation' got into the top ten on the Gaon Music Charts.

On April 3rd Starship Entertainment announced that SUPERSTAR would make their comeback during April and had finished prepartions before then. This would also be their first mini album titled 'Hot Baby'. On April 5th, SUPERSTAR's first mini album was released. A showcase was held the next day. And on April 8th the girls made their comeback stage on 'Show Champion'.

On July 2nd, Starship Entertainment released news that SUPERSTAR would release a 3rd single titled 'Anxious'. And it was said maknae Jin co-wrote the lyrics. A teaser was released on July 4th and following the full MV on July 8th.

On August 1st teasers for SUPERSTAR's first full album was released. With the girls first full album 'SUPER Class' released on August 6th. They made their comeback on August 7th with their title track 'Goodbye Baby'.

On August 21st 'Music Bank' SUPERSTAR won their first music show award with 'Goodbye Baby'.

On October 20th Starship Entertainment announced that SUPERSTAR would do their first reality show 'Showtime' and the first episode would air November 17th and went through December 8th.

It was confirmed on October 27th that Jin would appear on 'Unpretty Rapstar 2' as a guest and to do a stage with one of the female rappers on the show.

2016: Park Na Yoon, Rewind, 'We Got Married', 'Darling', 1st solo concert 'S/S Party', 'Be Natural'

On February 1st a picture of SUPERSTAR and Starship Entertainment trainee and former 'K-Pop Star 1' contestant went viral, many netizens thinking that Parkk Na Yoon was joining the group. But Starship Entertainment immeidely said that those news for false and that SUPERSTAR was just practing with her, and that she will not be joining SUPERSTAR.

Starship Entertainment announced on February 5th that SUPERSTAR's first subunit called Rewind will be a ballad subunit and have leader Saengmin and maknae Jin. First teasers were released on February 13th titled 'Cry Again'. They debuted as Rewind on February 18th and their album was released on February 19th. They won their first music award as a subunit on February 25th.

Jay was confirmed to be apart of the new 'We Got Married' lineup with actor/singer Kim Min Suk, their first episode will air on March 10th.

On April 17th the first teasers for SUPERSTAR's comeback was released. Their 2nd mini album 'SUPERSTAR: S/S Party' and 'Darling' was released on May 14th. But on April 14th Starship Entertainment announced that SUPERSTAR would have their first solo concert 'S/S Party' on May 13th. SUPERSTAR made their comeback stage with 'Darling' on May 18th on 'Show Champion'. After winning a few awards the girls ended promotions on June 21st.

On August 10th Starship Entertainment announced that SUPERSTAR would release a new single for their upcoming anniversary as a group titled 'Be Natural'. The single was released on August 17th featuring MONSTA X's I.M.

2017: Jin solo debut, 'Love', debut in Japan + 'One Fine Day', Saengmin solo debut, Rewind comeback, 'SS' 2nd solo concert

On January 23rd Starship Entertainment announced that maknae Jin would debut as a solo artist in February. Teasers were released short after and Jin debuted with her first studio album on February 7th with the title song 'I Am A Woman Too'. The album featured many artists including; her older sister Sera, I.M, and Hwanhee from Up10tion. Jin won twice with her solo promotions.

The whole group came back together in April with their third mini album, 'Love' with their title song 'Ring My Bell'. SUPERSTAR debuted in Japan on April 30, 2017 with 'Darling'. They also filmed their second reality show, 'One Fine Day' to show their time in Japan before debuting in the country.

On August 25th, Starship Entertainment announced that leader Saengmin will be making her solo debut in September. She debuted with 'Top Secret' on September 6th.

Starship Entertainment announced SUPERSTAR's subunit, Rewind was making a comeback by releasing a MV teaser on October 21st, with Saengmin and JIn returning with their first EP album '50 x Half' and title track 'Beside Me' on October 25th. They made their comeback stage on October 26th, they only promoted for a week.

SUPERSTAR had their second solo concert 'SS' (which stands for Superstar) on December 8th and 9th.

2018: China debut, Jin & Junjin,

SUPERSTAR's China debut was postponed by a couple of years because of the THAAD. But they released their debut single 'Goodbye Baby' on January 17th, which is their title song from their first studio album and debuted in China on January 18.

Starship Entertainment had confirmed on January 18th that Jin and Shinhwa's Junjin have been dating since December 2016 with a 18 year difference.

 

 

 

 

 

Members

Stage name Full name Date of birth+Positions
Romanized Hangul Romanized Hangul
Saengmin 쌩민 Jo Saeng Min 조쌩민 August 29, 1991 (age 26)
Leader, Lead Vocalist, Main Dancer
Jay 자이 Kim Jae Hwa 김쟤화 May 26, 1993 (age 24)
Main Rapper, Lead Dancer, Vocalist
Saeri 섀리 Kim Sae Ri 김섀리 December 31, 1995 (age 21)
Vocalist & Lead Rapper
Jin Ryu Jin 류진 October 3, 1998 (age 19)
Face Of Group, Main Vocalist, Maknae
         

* Saengmin joined on October 28th, three days before SUPERSTAR's debut

Former Members

Stage name Full name Date of birth+Positions
Romanized Hangul Romanized Hangul
- - - - -
- - - - -
-- --- --- -- --
- - - - -
- - - - -
- - - - -
- - - - -
- - - - -
- - - - -
* Mia left the group three days before SUPERSTAR's debut due to health reasons and did not debut with the group so she is not listed here
 

Discography (Korea)

 

Studio albums

  • SUPER Class (2015)

EPs

  • -
  • -
  • -

Mini albums

  • Hot Baby (2015)
  • Darling (2016)
  • Love (2017)

Singles albums

  • Happiness (2014)
  • Expectation (2015)
  • Anxious (2015)
  • Be Natural (2016)

Discography (Others)

 

Studio albums

  • -

EPs

  • -
  • -

Singles albums

  • Goodbye Baby (2018) [Chinese]
  • -

Digital singles

  • -
  • -
  • -

Televison


• Hello Counselor (2014)
• Weekly Idol (2014)
• Immortal Songs 2 (2014) [Jin]
• Let's Go! Dream Team (2014) [Saengmin, Jay, Saeri]
• Yu Huiyeol's Sketchbook (2015)
• Immortal Songs 2 (2015) [Jin] *Won
• Weekly Idol (2015)
• Immortal Songs 2 (2015) [Jin] *Won
• A Song For You (2015) [with Boys Republic]
• After School Club (2015) [with B.I.G]
• Happy Together (2015) [Saeri]
• Immortal Songs 2 (2015] [Jin]
• Showtime (2015) [first reality show]
• Unpretty Rapstar 2 (2015) [Guest Apperance - Jin]
• Vitamin (2016) [Saengmin&Jin]
• We Got Married (2016-present) [Jay]
• Immortal Songs 2 (2016) [Saengmin&Jin]
• After School Club (2016) [Saengmin did not attend]
• d

Awards


Mnet Asian Music Awards

•  2015 - Best Dance Performance Female Group - 'Goodbye Baby'

SBS Gayo Daejun

• 2015 - Best Rookie Award - 'Happiness'

KBS Gayo Daejun

MBC Gayo Daejun

Golden Disk Awards

• 2016 - New Artist Award - 'Happiness'
• 2016 - Digital Music Bonsang - 'Goodbye Baby'

Seoul Music Awards

• 2016 - New Artist Award - 'Happiness'
• 2016 - Bonsang Award - 'Goodbye Baby'

M! Countdown

•w

Music Bank

• August 21, 2015 - 'Goodbye Baby'

Inkigayo

• June 5, 2016 - 'Darling'

The Show

• June 21, 2016 - 'Darling'

Show Champion

• June 1, 2016 - 'Darling'