Too Close Yet Too Far

{SHINee} Lee Taemin - One Last Wish

"Son, this is Hannah, Mr. Li's granddaughter."

I can hear eomeoni's voice from behind, but it just made my hearing more hollow. And by the next minute, all I could see was him, in slow-mo. He bowed in front of me and offered his hand for a handshake. He stood there smiling, never cutting the eye contact. He was patiently waiting for my hand to meet his.

"Oh, uh annyeonghasaeyo!" 

My words speeded up. I realized I have been staring at him more than enough. So, I hastily reached for his hand, even my hands were still shaking.

Our skins touched. He wrapped his tough and sturdy hand against mine, as they swung vertically. Our eyes were locked on each other as he introduced himself once more. I said my name again too, before we let go of each other. 

It was just seconds but it felt longer. 
 

"Uh, umma, I have to leave."

"Wae? Why too soon?" I turned at eomeoni and we had that same wistful look on our faces.

"I still have to shoot something---I'll be here for dinner." He said, before pulling out his phone from his tight pants.

I watched him walk to the front door after giving eomeoni a hug. He then turned at us one more time.

"Annyeong! Hannah-ssi, nice meeting you." He flashed that adorable smile that melts my heart and made my cheeks go rosy pink. 

I was about to wave my hand to him, but the door already glided close. He disappeared from my view and I was left with eomeoni.

"Ugh, that kid, he's too busy---I miss him so much." Eomeoni said as she sat on one of the couches. 

I sat on one too, making my body relax from the rapid heaving of my chest earlier. I stared at the open window in front of me. It's still bright outside. I glanced on my wristwatch---4pm. I still have less than 3 hours to rest without my compulsive feels.

'Hannah-ssi, nice meeting you'

His soft voice was almost a whisper when he spoke. It kept playing in my head though. Saying my name for the first time ever, his calm and husky voice was music to my ears. 

The fact that he already knew my name---I had to believe it despite how impossible it sounded to me before. After years of living my life with him, without him knowing my existence, I had came up to this idea that he will someday. But it's not that I have hope for. It's just somehow an escape from melancholy.

I unwinded by the coziness of my bed. My eyes roamed the room as I remembered something---I haven't unpacked yet. So, I plunged up and grabbed my bags, spreading it out the surface of my bed. I began to the one that was filled with clothes then piled them up on the dividers of the cabinet. I picked up the last clothing then stopped as I noticed my diary underneath it. 

The hardbound cover read--- 'Lee Taemin', in hangul. It was locked. The key was still attached to the tiny latch that binds both sides of the light pink cover. I flinched as I recalled the reason why I brought it with me---to give it to Taemin...because I'm his no.1....fan. Yea right~

Okay, NO WAY. I shoved off the thought of it. I take back my word. I'm not gonna give it to him. Now that I'm living with his mom and probably with him, there's no way he'll ever gonna touch this. 

I grabbed my diary and pulled out the matching key. Throwing it hysterically in the last drawer of my desk, I was sure no one would mind checking on that place. Then I returned to face my bed and decided to place my diary between its layers. I nudged it in until it was impossible of falling out. I then continued to unpack.


 

***
 

"Ttal?" 

I hear eomeoni knock on my door as I put the last thing on the corner of my desk. I hurried to the door and opened it. She greeted me with her pleasant smile. She was wearing a bright green apron over her sweater and her hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail.

"Neh, eomeoni?" I smiled politely.

"Dinner's almost ready. Can you call Taemin for me? He's outside." She then left shortly after I nodded, silently hesitating.

Oppa's back already? I didn't even heard him around. I shook my head. I realized I was standing stiff. I was caught up with my thoughts, that was elevating in abrupt. Yes, nervousness symptoms.

I shut the door behind me as I walked past the lucid corridors that led me to the front porch. My eyes searched the outside. The moon is giving me perfect dimness. I slid into a pair of slippers before making my way on the soft grass. My steps were light and little as my feet trembles with every move.

I paused by the pond, shivering from the gust of cold wind that was brushing against me. I turned side to side, searching the place. I can't see him. Where is he?

Almost giving up, I looked around one last time and finally noticed the tree house. It was lighted this time. He's there isn't he?

I strolled to its base and looked up to the huge trunk. It's really high out there. I continued to check it out from below, before I took grip on the bars of the rope ladder. Though it looks sturdy, it still swung dangerously as I push myself up. I began panting at the middle. 

And before I knew it, I had reached the end, when my hands sensed the sleek wooden floor of the house. I immediately gazed up after the final vigorous lift I forced.
 

"Aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!" 
 

I met another pair of eyes and felt hot breath near my hanging lips. It felt too close that I didn't recognize the person. Though there was none other than him, who would be there. 

"Whoa! Aigoo(oh my), careful Hannah-ssi."
 

I almost lost grip on the crooked wood that I was holding onto. My knees were already shaking for keeping my balance quite long. And my breath went out of control from the mishap that could possibly happen awhile ago. 

But, I knew I was saved when I suddenly felt a hand that tugged on my arm. His firm grip was able to pull me up.

"I'm so sorry. Did I frighten you?" I heard his voice as my cold feet finally touched the dark carpet. It was lathered on the floor, making the place more cozy.

My eyes stayed down. I felt my cheeks burning as I noticed our hands. We were still holding each other.

"Oh." He gasped. He yanked his hand apart then placed them in his pockets. 

I slowly turned up to him and found him smiling over me. I hesitatingly smiled back then felt a hit of volt. Because his hand suddenly went on top of my head. He shook it, gently messing with my strands. Like he was just petting a cute little puppy.

"Ahh kyeopta, you really don't talk much Hannah-ssi." His voice sounded bright from speaking while a wide smile was marking on his pretty face.

'Aish, this guy, how can he appear more cute than what he finds cute?' I thought.

"Ah, neh, I almost forgot--w-we, uh, your umma told me to call you, f-for dinner." I stuttered.

I was all ready to get back down. I was tensed when I quickly moved to the exit, and didn't even wait for a response.

"Wait, c-can I ask you something?"

I stopped and held my breath as I gradually turned to face him again. His eyes were round with anticipation and his plump lips were apart, totally distracting me.

"Neh, what is it?" I stared at him as he looked away for a moment. But he went back to meet my eyes again.

"I, uh, what do girls love to receive--I mean a gift--from a guy?" He blinked while clipping his lips in his mouth. He then made it pop out, revealing its lusciousness once more. (A y aegyo) ^-^

"Ah, uhm---chocolates? Flowers? Teddy bears?--N-neh." I swallowed hard. "B-bear, stuffed toys are best--I think?" 

"Why do you think so?" He asked as he drew closer to me. I could no longer look him in the eyes when mine were probably dilating and---twitching.

"B-because it lasts long and it's kyeopta---like you oppa." 

I choked from the sudden breath I held in. I looked at him as he made a quick pout, surprised by my words. But then he bounced his head into a nod, and an intimate look masked his face.

"Ahh, you're funny Hannah-ssi." He points out while grinning. I began to echo with his chuckles, trying to appear jokingly. Hoping that I could go through this embarrassment.

"Ahh, gurae, thanks for the help." He smiled. "Tell umma that I'll be right down."

I nod back and curved my lips into a smile. I climbed my way down, making my pace faster and never looking up again. I let out a heavy sigh when I reached the ground. I swear I could die from heart attack if I'd stay longer. And ohh--what the hell did I just said to him??!! 

I walked my way bluntly past the front door. My shoulders were torpid of the mental discomfort that's tormenting me. 


 

***
 

"Angkong, you don't know how happy I am. Thank you so much!" I squeaked, pressing one ear on the phone that I held. I was staring at the glass window into the dining room. It has a nice view of Taemin's side, taking in spoonfulls and mumbling to eomeoni at the same time.

I had ran my way outside after I excused myself from dinner. With Taemin sitting across me, I was close to shed tears. I'm glad grandpa called, 'cause I can't even concentrate on eating!
 

"It's my pleasure darling. Enjoy your stay there."

Angkong's voice cracked on the line as he joined my soft giggles. The whole thing was a surprise indeed. He didn't knew about eomeoni's sons until he met one personally during their last meeting---and it was Taemin. 

And because Taemin has become so familiar to him, in my behalf, he had settled a request for his lucky granddaughter to have a stay in the best place ever. Also, the 'daughter' thingy was a cover up, both for surprise and mom's pathetic restriction when it comes to boys.

Yup, he's my fairy godfather.

I shoved my phone back into my pocket after the line had gone off, and we had exchanged our sweet goodbyes. My eyes were still stuck at the scenery they were savoring. I stared at him by the distance, relishing every expression on his celestial face. It seems like I could reach him. He's too close now--too close--yet his heart is still too far away.