The Necklace

The Temperature Of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We have to hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow, lose in order to gain, because all of life’s lessons are taught through pain…”

Tokyo

“What? Fully booked?” Lee Min Ho asked in Japanese as his eyes widened.

“I’m sorry Mr Lee. We only received booking from your company for one suite. We are sorry that all the rooms were already fully booked now.” The Japanese hotel receptionist explained and apologized to Min Ho.

“Then how about you help me to change a twin bed suite instead?” Min Ho asked again.

“We are really sorry. The twin bed suite was all fully occupied due to the peak season. Do you mind if I ask is there a third person who going to stay with Mr and Mrs Lee? If not I think the room with a king size bed wouldn’t be a problem, right?” The hotel receptionist asked politely.

Min Ho became speechless and doesn’t know how to answer her. He let out a deep sigh before turning to Park Shin Hye, who was standing beside her, looking at him with questions in her eyes because she couldn’t understand what they are talking about.

“Is there any problem?” Shin Hye asked carefully. Min Ho’s expression worried her. She couldn’t understand a single word they are talking about.

“Secretary Joon only booked a suite for us and now all the rooms were fully booked. I was too busy last week preparing for the things I need to do here and forgotten to ask my secretary to book another room for you.” Min Ho said.

“Eo. Erm… does it mean I have to stay in another hotel?” Shin Hye asked softly.

“No. Of course not.” Min Ho sighed before he asked, “Do you mind if we stay in the same room? I mean the room only have one king size bed.” Damn it.

Shin Hye looked at him for a moment before flashed him a sweet smile. “I’m okay. I can sleep on the couch. I bet a suite must have a very comfy and nice couch.”

Min Ho sighed again before turning to the receptionist. “Okay. Just help us to check in and send our luggage to the room. Thank you.”

 

When they got inside their room, the luggage was already put neatly beside the closet. The suite was amazing with a very beautiful city view. Shin Hye slowly walked to the large viewing window and locked her gaze at the beautiful scenery. How long have it been since the last time she went for a vacation? She remembered the last time was when she were only 8 years old, her mother was still here with them. Her father brought them to Paris during her school holiday. That trip was the happiest memory she has with her parents. She looked at the bright sky as she asked silently. Eomma, are you there? Shin Hye miss you a lot.

Shin Hye was too deep in her thoughts and didn’t realize Min Ho was now standing beside her, watching her.

They have been staying together for more than a month now. Although they can’t consider close but there is something about her that make his heart ache whenever he looked deep into her eyes and saw this sad expression on her face. She has a bad habit of spacing out whenever she was alone. And the nightmares she was having every night, it bothers him.

“You okay?” Min Ho shook her off from her deep thoughts.

Shin Hye turned to him, looking startled. “Eo? I’m okay. I’m just dazed by the beautiful view here. This is my first time coming to Japan. Everything was new and surprise to me.” She smiled, looking down.

Min Ho averted his gaze as he cleared his throat. “Erm… I’m having a lunch meeting with the client and I might be late tonight. Are you okay to have your lunch and dinner alone?”

“I’m okay. Don’t worry about me. Just go to do your work.” Shin Hye assured him with a smile.

Min Ho nodded as he turned away to take his phone and made a call. He took his briefcase and made his way to the door. He took a last look at Shin Hye before stepped out of the room.

Shin Hye sighed in relief after Min Ho left the room. She just felt awkward to be in the same room with him like this. How is she going to survive tonight and the rest of the week? She pressed her hand on her chest, feeling the necklace and butterfly pendant hanging around her neck. Does he still remember me?

 

It was already 10pm when Min Ho came back to the hotel. When he entered, he was surprised that the hotel room was dark without the lights switch on. Shin Hye was not in the room. He walked to the bathroom and checked but she was not there either. He put down his briefcase and looked at his watch again. He took his phone out and called her.

“The number you have dialled is not available. Please try again later.”     

Her phone was switched off. Min Ho sighed heavily as he took off his blazer and loosened his tie. He walked to his luggage and found all his clothes were already hanged neatly in the closet. It must be Shin Hye, he smiled. He took a sweater and sweatpants out before making his way to the bathroom.

After taken his shower, he took his laptop out and continued with his work, trying not to think about where Shin Hye has gone. But after a while, he looked at his watch again and sighed. He couldn’t concentrate at all. It was already 11.30pm now. Where did Shin Hye go? She said this was her first time coming to Japan. Maybe she was too crazy with the shopping spree and forgets about the time now? Min Ho let out a deep sigh. It’s not possible. As far as he knew about her, she wasn’t a big fan of shopping. He took his phone and start calling her number again but it was still switched off.

He couldn’t hold it in anymore. He took his phone and the room key and made his way to the door, going down to the lobby.

 

“Mr Lee, one of my colleague said Mrs Lee went out around 3pm today. She never came back after that. She didn’t leave any message for you.” The receptionist told Min Ho when he came to asked them whether did Shin Hye left any note for him and what time she went out.

“3pm?” Min Ho asked and his heartbeat was racing now. It has been more than 8 hours since she went out. She doesn’t know how to speak Japanese and not familiar with Tokyo. Something must have happened to her. He started to panic as he turned to the hotel receptionist. “I think something happened to my wife and can you help me to call…”

“Is that Mrs Lee?” The receptionist cut him off as she pointed at the main entrance.

Min Ho quickly turned around and he let out a relieved breath that he never realized he was holding it. He walked towards Shin Hye and as he was closer to her, he noticed her face was pale and tired. He can feel himself boiling inside. He wanted to yell at her but when she was just a feet away from him, his first reaction was pulled her into his embrace.

Shin Hye was walking into the hotel mindlessly without looking in front and she stopped her steps when she felt a pair of strong arms wrapped firmly around her body. Her eyes widened in shocked as she froze for a moment before struggling slightly but stop moving again when she heard Min Ho’s voice.

 “Do you know what’s the time now? Where have you been? And you even switched off your phone?” Min Ho raised his voice. He was very angry but at the same time he was also relieved when he saw her walking in just now. He tightened his arms when he felt her cold body was slightly trembling.

Shin Hye could feel his heart was pounding fast and strong against his chest. His body was tensed and his tone was deep and angry. He must be very pissed off with her for coming back late without calling him. “I’m sorry.” She whispered very softly. 

She slowly looked up at him when he pulled away. She can feel herself stop breathing when she saw Min Ho’s face, which was looking dangerously angry. She looked down, trying to avoid his glare.

“I-I was thinking to grab something to eat in the afternoon. So I thought of going somewhere nearby but as I walked and walked, I realized I don’t know where I was heading. The signage was all in Japanese and Chinese. I don’t understand. A-And I forgotten which hotel we are staying. Luckily the taxi driver was willing to drive around and find the hotel for me. I-I recognize the hotel logo.” Shin Hye stuttered without looking at him.

“You were wandered around the city for more than 8 hours just to find the way back to the hotel? Why didn’t you call me?” Min Ho asked, even angrier now knowing this stupid woman was walking around alone for the whole day.

“I don’t want to disturb you. I know you are very busy and this project is very important. And later my phone has run out of battery.” Shin Hye said softly. She stole a sideway glance at those people who was now looking at them, wondering what they was doing in the center of the hotel lobby.

Min Ho noticed that too and let out another sigh. He grabbed her hand and pulled her to the elevator. He clenched his jaw, trying to hold his anger as his grip on her hand tightened when he felt her hand was freezing.

When they entered the room, Min Ho pulled Shin Hye and seated her down on the couch. He poured a glass of hot water and passed to her. He sat down on the coffee table in front of her, scanning her up and down. He then gently touched her forehead to check her temperature. He let out a relieved sighed when he confirmed that she doesn’t have a fever.

Shin Hye took a small sip of the hot water before meeting Min Ho’s stare. She parted her lips, wanted to apologize again but stopped when he gently tucked some strands of hairs behind her ear. Shin Hye heard Min Ho sighed again. She looked at him and smiled softly. “I’m sorry if I make you worried about me. But I’m okay. I just feel a bit cold and tired.”

Min Ho was slightly taken aback when she said he was worried about her. Why is he worried about her? He was quite shocked by his own reaction too but he tried to assured himself silently that even if this is his s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter