Still Hurting

The Temperature Of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I like to think that I’m over you. I like to tell people that I am. Sometimes I even convince myself that I am. The truth is, I’m really, really, not…”

“Shin Hye, this is Lee Min Ho-sshi, the managing director from PLE Corporation, our new sponsor for the orphanage house.” Park Hae Jin introduced said as he looked at Park Shin Hye. He then turned to Lee Min Ho. “This is my student I was talking about. Park Shin Hye.”

Min Ho slowly lifted his trembled hand up to Shin Hye as his eyes never leave her. “Hi.” He uttered in a hoarse voice.

Shin Hye was still looking very shock, unable to move or even breathe. After 2 years, she thought everything was over but how come it still hurt this much? How come it still felt the same? He looked slightly different now. His bangs was combed up and looked more manly and matured. She gathered all her strength and averted her gaze. She held his hand and shake softly as she felt a tiny jolt of electricity vibrating through her when their skin touched. Her heart was throbbing fast against her chest as the headache she was having worsened.

“Hi.” She whispered, didn’t dare to look at him again. She gently pulled her hand away from him when he didn’t seem to have the intention to let her hand go.

Min Ho quickly hid his trembling hand in his pocket as he took a silent breath. “Long time no see. What a coincidence.” He tried to let out a smile.

Shin Hye looked up at him as her eyes met his gaze again. She tried to avert her gaze to somewhere else when the look in his eyes became intense but it seems impossible. His gaze was too strong like a lock and she couldn’t help but locked into his eyes.

Hae Jin looked at them confusedly as he turned to Min Ho. “You know Shin Hye?”

Min Ho looked away and cleared his throat. He nodded his head softly with a weak smile. “Yes. We are…” He paused as his eyes met Shin Hye again. She was looking nervous and uncomfortable. He sighed silently. “We were childhood friends. I’ve known her for the past 16 years. Am I right, Shin Hye?” He asked and looking at her meaningfully.

Shin Hye clenched her hands into fists as her heartbeat raced tremendously. She looked at Hae Jin. “Yes. But we haven’t seen each other for a long time already.” She replied weakly.

Hae Jin sensed something was not right between them and Shin Hye was looking uncomfortable. He walked nearer to Shin Hye. “Are you okay? Your face looked pale. Are you having headache again?” He asked with concern.

Shin Hye tugged a few strands of her hair behind her ear as she stole a glance at Min Ho before looking at Hae Jin. “Just a little bit but I’m okay.”

Min Ho was looking at her worriedly now. Again? He don’t remember she have headache frequently last time. He was about to held his hand up to touch her forehead when someone called.   

“Hae Jin-ah, Shin Hye-ah.”

All three of them turned to the voice behind them. It was Sister Emily. She was carrying little Seo Hyeon in her arms. She walked towards them and smiled politely at Min Ho. He quickly tucked his hand back into the pocket and bowed at her politely.

“Sister Emily. It’s good that you are here. Let me introduce you to Lee Min Ho-sshi. He is the managing director of PLE Corporation. He has agreed to sponsor for our orphanage home.” Hae Jin announced the good news to Sister Emily. She was so happy and bowed at Min Ho. “Thank you very much Lee Min Ho-sshi. I really have no other ways to express my gratitude apart from using the word thank you.” Before she could bowed at him again, Min Ho quickly held her arms and smiled. “You are welcome. I’m glad I could help the children here.” He said as he looked at Seo Hyeon who was still in Sister Emily’s arms. He let out a soft smile and caressed her cheeks gently.

“Shin Hye-ah. Do you want me to send you home first since you are not feeling well? I still have something to discuss with Sister Emily and it might take long.” Hae Jin asked.

“Eo? It’s alright. I can take taxi myself. It will be very troublesome for you to send me home and then take taxi back here again. I can…” Shin Hye assured him with a smile.

“I can send her home.” Min Ho cut her off as he looked at Hae Jin. “I know where she stays and I’m actually going around that area too. I can send her home.”

Shin Hye’s lips parted, wanted to protest but then something crossed her mind.

If you still care for him, I think it’s better for you to ask him yourself what had happened to him.

She looked at him and those words kept playing in her mind. If he fetches her back, she can take this opportunity to ask him. She then turned to Hae Jin and smiled. “Yes. Since Min Ho-sshi can fetch me back, then you don’t need to worry about me. I’ll give you a call when I get home.”

Hae Jin nodded before looking at Min Ho. “Thank you so much. Please take good care of her.”

Min Ho felt the blood in his veins was boiling when he heard what he said. I have to control myself. Take a deep breath. Don’t lose control. He tried hard to calm himself down. He nodded with a slight smile.

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

The atmosphere in the car was getting more and more awkward and suffocating as both of them didn’t say a single word. Shin Hye stole a sideway glance at Min Ho. She know she have to find a way to ask him about what Jong Suk told her this afternoon. She took a deep breath before turning to him.

“You…” Shin Hye paused as both of them spitted out the same word at the same time. “Y-You first.” She stuttered looking down.

After a moment of silence, Min Ho asked again, breaking the tension. “I didn’t know you were back to Korea. I was quite surprised So Ra didn’t tell me.” He can’t hide his disappointment in his voice.

She was playing with her fingers, looking uneasy. “I guess she was still finding the right time to tell you because she only knew it today too. We had drinks in the afternoon with Jong Suk.”

Min Ho nodded softly as he bit his lips. “If not because of this coincidence, I think we might not even have a chance to meet up… right? I guess I’m the last person you want to see.” He asked as he chuckled sadly at himself. “How pathetic.”

“That’s not what I mean. I’m just…” Shin Hye tried to explain.

“But that’s what you do.” He cut her off, without looking at her.

Shin Hye heaved a sigh as she looked out the window. He was right. How pathetic. After all these years, they were now stuck with each other again.

“How long are you planning to stay in Korea?” Min Ho glanced at her and felt uneasy with her quietness.

“2 months.” Shin Hye answered, still looking outside the window.

Min Ho tightened his grip on the steering wheel and tried to steady his own breath.  “You are not planning to come back… forever?” He asked.

Shin Hye closed her eyes and didn’t answer him. This wasn’t the right time, right way and right place to see him. Everything was just popped out in a sudden and she didn’t prepare for it. She was not even ready to see him yet. It was a mistake to let him send her back. And the headache was making it worse.

She opened her eyes slowly when Min Ho stopped his car outside her house. Without looking at him, she opened the door. “Thank you for sending me home.” She said before stepped out of the car.

Shin Hye closed the car door and made her way to the gate. She stopped when she heard Min Ho’s voice behind her.

“What you want to ask me just now?”

She froze for a moment before she turned around, looking directly at him. “What happened to you when I was away? So Ra told me you were admitted in the hospital twice and something else happened. Jong Suk said I should ask you myself. What exactly happened to you?”

Min Ho looked down and smiled sadly. “Do you even care?” He met her gaze again. “You never call me even for once in these 2 years. If I tell you now, does it make any difference?” He asked her back.

Shin Hye became speechless as those words ran through her head. He was right. After she left him without even calling him for once, what make her think that she have the right to ask those questions now.

“You are right. It doesn’t make any difference.” She said with tears clogging her eyes as she tried to hold it from rolling down.  

“You haven’t answered my question yet.” Min Ho said as he slowly stepped forward. He stopped right in front of Shin Hye and looked deep into her teary eyes.

Shin Hye’s heart was pounding so fast when she smelt the familiar scent of him. Her eyes were unable to pull away from him. “You didn’t answer mine either.” She whispered, still looking at him.

He took another step forward, closing the gap between them. “You wouldn’t want to know what happened to me in the past 2 years.” He said in a deep voice as his hand gently caressed her cheek. She didn’t squirm or pull away from him. She just stood there very still, staring right into his soul. “What can I do to make you stay? You still cannot forgive me after so long?” He asked. He felt that ache in his heart again. That feeling that makes him breathless. She was standing right in front of him, so near yet so far.

A tear slowly fell down from her eyes, dripping on Min Ho’s thumb. “Even if I forgive, I wouldn’t forget. Can you really forget about it?” She looked down as more tears rolled down her cheeks now. “Don’t waste your time on me anymore. It doesn’t worth it.” Shin Hye took a step back and met his gaze again. “No matter what happened to you before, please don’t make it happen again. You might think that I don’t care but…” She paused as she inhaled for air. “I do care.” She clenched her hand tightly, her nails digging into her skin. She heaved a deep sigh. “Thanks for the ride. Good night.” She turned away and walked as fast as she could to the gate, without giving him any chance to reply.

Min Ho slowly walked back to his car and stepped into it after Shin Hye disappeared from his sight. He rested his forehead on the steering wheel with his eyes closed. He could feel his hands trembled and his pulse raced. He tried to take a deep breath to steady his breathing. That feeling is coming back again. He can feel it. He clenched his fists, trying to fight against it inside of him.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

“I talked to Secretary Joon about the charity ball. He will slot in our performance on the first part of the event. He will give us 20 minutes for the performance plus the fundraising part. What you think?” Hae Jin asked Shin Hye who was sitting opposite him. She didn’t reply him and was just looking at the file she was holding, mindlessly.

Hae Jin sighed as he looked at her. Since the day he brought Min Ho over to the orphanage home, she has been acted weirdly and very quiet. He knew something must be bothering her.

He knocked softly on the table as he called for her name. “Shin Hye?”

Shin Hye startled by the knocking sound and looked up at him. “Sorry?”

“I was saying that our performance plus fundraising in the charity ball will be 20 minutes. What do you think? We can still talk to them if the time is too short.” Hae Jin repeated again.

“I think 20 minutes is more than enough. We planned to play one song only, right? I’m still composing the song that we will play on that night.” She said

Hae Jin nodded as he narrowed his eyes at Shin Hye. “Are you alright?”

Shin Hye was surprised by his question, a confuse look on her face.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter