Light

Dark Prince

"JIN," Injun let his exasperation show, "WILL YOU TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON?"

The angel in front of him stopped when they reached the house of the Eun's, and he turned around.

"Jiwon's daughter," Jin turned around. "She's been diagnosed with...a mental condition. His father just heard the bad news and is now on his table, wishing his ex-wife would answer his call just once."

Injun was sorry he asked. That wasn't really an answer one would want to hear, and of course Jin finally answered when it was like this.

"Let me guess," Injun's eyes turned focused. "A demon is the culprit."

"Yes," Jin nodded. "But this isn't merely night terror like the one Jihwan had. I will have to warn you that although this is still a demon only strong enough to afflict a child, it still requires a certain amount of power to cause a mental condition. You will have a harder time fighting this one off, but let's see if your luck with Jihwan carries over to this one."

Injun gave a huff of determination and marched to the front door with Jin following close behind him. There seemed to be an air of foreboding coming from the house, and Injun couldn't stop that from affecting him. After his experience with Jihwan's demon, he knew that the feeling of darkness eminating from upstairs was that of a demon. It made him extremely angry that these evil things were attacking helpless children. How scared they must be. How powerless. But Injun, he was going to be the one to stand up for them, no matter the cost.

When the door opened, Injun was surprised at who had come in. It wasn't Jiwon as he had expected, but his mother. She had probably drived over there to console her friend, which was made obvious by her puffy eyes and running nose. Even Mrs. Lee seemed surprised, not expecting her son to come, wondering what would bring him there as well.

"I thought you were with Hyunmin," Mrs. Lee said as she invited him in and led him to the kitchen.

"Hello, Injun," Jiwon looked up at his unexpected guest with his still wet eyes. "I haven't seen you in a while. What brings you here?"

"Well..." Injun hestitated in front of his mother. "I mean..."

"Does your father know I'm here?" A slight trace of panic laced Mrs. Lee's voice at the question.

"I don't know," Injun shrugged. "But...I came to see your daughter, Mr. Eun."

"Joan?" Jiwon looked as if he was about to cry again at the mention of her name. "What business do you have with my daughter?"

"I just want to see her. I just heard..."

"Who did you hear it from?" Mrs. Lee frowned. "Jiwon and I are the only ones who know."

"You just have to trust me," Injun sighed. "Please, I think I can help."

"There's nothing that can be done," Jiwon shook his head. "I'm sorry, but you should go home."

"Should I drive you home?" Mrs. Lee suggested.

From across the table, Injun looked up to Jin flying behind Jiwon. The angel had a serious and defeated expression, as did Injun. So with a sigh, Injun sighed and apologized to Jiwon. He was about to head to the door when he stopped and looked at the distressed father.

"Excuse me, Jiwon," Injun grabbed his lower abdomen, "but do you have a bathroom? I spent the entire afternoon with Husky at the park."

"Oh, of course," Jiwon nodded. "Upstairs, turn right, second door on the left."

"Thank you so much," Injun sighed and ran upstairs.

By Jiwon's instructions, Injun was supposed to turn right, but he didn't. Instead, he went left and took the first door on his right: Joan's room. The girl was taking a nap on her bed, and Injun could see the demon right beside her, seeming to have a thread straight into her head. It noticed the boy entering and quickly disappeared from his sight. Injun closed the door behind him and took a deep breath to calm his nerves, then he spoke the summoning words.

"Soou. Pali."

In that instant, the room turned dark and uninviting as a demon rose from the floor in front of Injun, both ready to fight. Just like in his first one, Injun could feel this demon's presence by the evil it was radiating, and he was ready. But what happened in the beginning of this fight was beyond what Injun could grasp. The demon, which Injun dismissed as purely brainless evil, bowed in preperation for a fight, as if it were a knight or a soldier. Then again, they were smart and powerful enough to bother people, and they were of the spiritual world, which was something even Injun didn't know a lot about. He could very well be dealing with his executioners.

After standing and watching each other for a few moments, Injun suddenly realized that he couldn't feel the demon's presence anymore. He was hit with fear, wondering how he had lost the ability, or the power, or whatever it was. As Injun was beginning to panic, the demon gave him more reason to by multiplying. Several more copies of the demon surrounded him, and he swallowed his fear as he wondered how he would survive this ordeal. Jin was right, this demon was more powerful than the last one he had fought. Injun just hoped that the angel would keep his word of saving him if things looked grim.

One of the demons came forward and roared, making Injun step back and raise his arms to defend himself. When he turned back to escape, another one came up to his face and made the same intimidating gesture. Again and again, Injun tried to run but only came face to face with more demons. After backing away enough times, Injun finally gained the courage to reach out to one of the demons to attempt to banish it. But when his hand should have touched the forehead of the demon, it went right through its head. Injun realized that this demon had the power of illusion, and that he would have to find the real one among the decoys...which was unfortunately easier said than done.

With his newfound knowledge, Injun chased and touched the demons, his hands failing to touch anything on any of his attempts. Every time Injun thought that he was getting close to finding the demon, it would conjure up some more copies, never running out. He couldn't even use his sensing ability like before. It just stopped working for some reason, and he really needed it at that fight. Injun was getting frustrated and a little worried, because it seemed that the demons liked to taunt him first, before becoming offensive.

Just as Injun guessed, the demon began to attack after displaying its defensive ability for a while. He thought that he would know which was the real demon by the origin of the attacks, but this was a smart demon. It and its copies were running around in a circle while throwing things at Injun, never coming up and physically attacking him so as not to give away its position. Injun tried lunging and touching again, but he could never catch the real one. It was beginning to feel hopeless.

A warm light unexpectedly shone from an unknown source, and Injun closed his eyes, ready for Jin to come rescue him. He waited for the light to fade, for the door to open, and for the angel to tell him it was time to give up. This was going to be his first loss.

But nothing came.

It was shocking, to say the least, when Injun opened his eyes to see a light shining directly on the demon, its illusions having dissipated. The demon was frozen in the light, and couldn't run. It could only look furiously at Injun and roar in a last attempt at intimidation. Injun looked around for Jin to pop up somewhere, but the angel was nowhere to be found. Didn't Jin say that he had the ability to exude a heavenly light to drive away demons when Injun was in danger? Then why wasn't the demon gone?

Although he was still confused, Injun approached the demon and put his hand on its forehead, then muttered the banishing words. The demon was swallowed up into a crack on the floor as the last one had, and Injun just watched. Hell didn't seem like a good place to be. After the crack closed up, the door flew open and Jiwon and Mrs. Lee tumbled in. They looked up at Injun in both confusion and anger, obviously having tried to enter the room for quite a while.

"How long was I in here?" Injun asked innocently.

"We were calling you for nearly half an hour," Jiwon answered curtly. "What the hell were you doing, and why did you lock the door?"

"I didn't lock the door," Injun pursed his lips. "It was...stuck."

There was a moment where none of them said anything, and Jiwon seemed to brim over with distrust towards Injun. Mrs. Lee took her son by the arm and led him out to take him home. Jin was with them the whole time, really needing to talk to Injun alone.