Day Off

Dark Prince

There were secrets that were kept from Injun, and he could sense them in the way Jin would accidentally say things, then cover them up. Jin asked to be trusted, but he was acting way too suspiciously for Injun to do so. Injun needed to know what was going on if he were to completely rely on Jin. Why were the angels talking about him? Why was he the one to banish demons? Who was he in this great big game of angels and demons?

If Injun could say one thing about angels, it's that nothing was without reason.

When Injun was standing at the post office at Jin's behest, he was questioning his alliance with the angel again. He was told to pick up a package from an abandoned warehouse and send it to South America. Jin didn't say what it was, and Injun figured that he would never answer. The box was a bit heavy, but Injun lugged it to the post office. It had been sent there to Seoul from somewhere, obviously, but the return address sticker was ripped off and replaced with Seoul. Injun took off the address it was going to from Seoul to South America by Jin's instruction. He found himself at a loss for an explanation when he was asked what he was sending. Jin really needed to quit being so mysterious.

But Injun wasn't about to spend his weekend worrying about the secrets of angels. Husky had been bugging him for a lunch at a grill bar for the past two weeks, and he finally gave in, deciding he really needed to spend some time in the physical world. It wasn't that he didn't like the spiritual aspect of the world, but Injun needed some time to himself with his best friend. Just one day wouldn't kill Jin, he figured.

The walk to the grill bar was great, considering that it wasn't noon yet, but two stomachs were growling the whole way. It was Sunday, and there was a sort of hushed hurry as the people got ready to get back into the weekday routine. Injun and Husky made their way through crowds of unknown people, hoping to get to their designated lunch spot for the day. As they were just a few blocks off of the grill bar, they could already smell the delicious food cooking, and they ran the rest of the way, unable to bear their hunger any longer.

Once inside, Husky ran over to one of the table and Injun followed right behind. There weren't many customers waiting, except for those who were smart enough to come just before the hectic lunch hour. It was calm enough inside the bar that the two were approached by a waiter as soon as they sat down. Both ordered a cup of tea to wait for the special of the day - tender grilled pork with a specially prepared sauce. The two friends sipped from their cups as they talked.

"How have your parents been?" Husky started the conversation. "Did you get the chance to suggest counciling to them?"

"Nope," Injun shook his head. "I can barely get a word in when they're at it, and I just enjoy the moments of peace too much to bring up something that would start another round of bull."

"Yeah," Husky sighed, "I see what you mean. Do you ever just want to...you know...call the police?"

"Of course. It's just that I would probably be sent away from my house, and I don't want to burden anyone with myself. My grandma's too frail, and she can see right through me somehow. One aunt who's too far away, an uncle that far too. I got nowhere to go."

"You know you can always come to me and us," Husky reached to take Injun's hand in his own. "We love you very much, and you wouldn't be a burden to us. You should seriously think about--"

"No, Husky. I couldn't do that to you guys. I'm not your responsibility. But believe me, someday I'll make it all better."

"There's some things you can't take into your own hands, Injun. This is just out of your control."

Just so he wouldn't have to provide any more excuses, Injun nodded and shut up. The grills audibly sizzled in the kitchen, and the few customers who had come in made light chatter just like the two best friends. There was one particular person who had come that Injun didn't notice yet.

"So..." Husky started again. "Care to tell me more about that angel stuff?"

The smile on Injun's face faded as he thought about the question. He didn't know if he felt like thinking about, much less talk about, angels today, being a little frustrated that he was allowed to know so little. Then again, Husky might offer some insight to help him get some ideas on what--

"No," Injun firmly answered. "At least not today."

Husky nodded awkwardly and took his cup to drink. Silence took over the moments as they sat, drank, and enjoyed the tranquil atmosphere of the grill bar. It seemed it would still be a while before their food was ready. The best had to wait, though, right?

"Hey," Husky smiled and pointed behind Injun. "Isn't that the girl you've been making goo-goo eyes at the past few days?"

Injun looked behind him to the girl that was just standing up from her table...looking straight at the two...smiling.

"Hi Injun," she waved. "Hi Hyunmin. Are you enjoying yourselves?"

"Hey Ashley," Injun smiled brightly. We're waiting for our food. You want to join us?"

Across from him, Husky failed to contain his laughter.

"I just finished my meal," Ashley shrugged. "But thanks for the offer. Anyway, I've been thinking about you for a while, and...I just get the feeling that I need to talk to you. Is that...weird?"

From behind Ashley, a familiar brightness eminated, and Injun could now clearly see her guardian angel.

"Trust me," Husky's eyes turned dangerously mischievous, "he'd love to talk to you."

"Shut up, Husky," Injun kicked his shin below the table. "But no, Ashley, that's not weird. Uh...when should we...get together?"

"Oh, I don't know," Ashley giggled. "How about tomorrow after school? We could go to your place and--"

"We can't go to my place," Injun pursed his lips, biting back his solemnity.

"Oh...then...how about...just in the school yard?"

"That could work."

"It's a bit too public," Husky chimed in. "...for kissing."

"Seriously," Injun snapped at him, "shut up."

Another laughing fit was his only answer.

"But yeah," Injun faced Ashley again. "I'll see you tomorrow then."

Ashley bowed in respect and said goodbye, then practically skipped out of the grill bar. Back in the table, though, Husky was teasing the hell out of Injun, calling them a couple, or saying how many children they'd have. Injun tried to take it responsibly, but he ended up hitting him and bursting into laughter himself.

Injun spent the rest of the early afternoon without any thoughts of angels or demons, instead having fun just walking about the city with Husky. They didn't have the money to do a lot of things, but they really enjoyed their time together. While Husky was still teasing Injun about Ashley, they soon forgot about it and sat down on a bench in the park. Words weren't necessary at that time, so they just sat and watched. They watched people rush by, the occasional bird swooping past, and everything else. Injun, however, shifted uncomfortably a few minutes into it, because Husky couldn't see what he was seeing.

At first, it wasn't anything particulary frightening. The few demons that Injun learned to ignore came to try to intimidate him, then gave up and went away. It was what followed afterwards that deeply unsettled him. Across from the bench, a band of angels gathered, all of them taking part in what seemed like a very serious conversation. But when one of them spotted Injun, he held his hands up, the angels silencing right away. When they all looked over and caught sight of the boy, they stopped and stared, giving off a palpable aura of...danger? But just as Injun was about to suggest that they leave, another angel behind him startled him to death.

"Come with me right now," Jin beckoned the boy to follow him. "Hurry, before nightfall."

Husky looked a bit confused as Injun was trying to think of an excuse to go.

"Sorry, Husky," Injun stood up and walked behind Jin. "I...'ll see you later."

"Where do you think you're going?" Husky frowned. "It's not even 18:00 yet."

"I'm really sorry."

That was the best he could do? Injun just shook his head free from his guilt and picked up his pace to catch up with the angel. He would have to keep thinking of an explanation for this before going to school the next day. As they were going forward, Injun began to recognize the way he was being led, but what Jin wanted him to go there for was beyond his imagination.

His mother's friend, Eun Jiwon, lived somewhere here.