Faith

Dark Prince

It was a hard morning for Injun after seeing the demon for the first time. He didn't get much sleep, thinking of those horrible yellow eyes, and their evil laughs from causing trouble for his parents. Injun really didn't want to look at another one again, but he thought back to Jin's words and dreaded any further conversations. The angel said that they'd "work together." Exactly how he was supposed to work with that escaped Injun. He didn't even have a firm belief in all of this stuff until after Jin appeared to him.

Mr. and Mrs. Lee noticed their son's grogginess and apologized for keeping him up. It almost made Injun laugh that they thought it was from their fighting, when it was an unseen aspect of it that bothered him. And so, as he sat down to a plate of orange french toast, Injun couldn't even look up to his parents, for fear of the demons still being with them.

"I'm sorry, Injun," his mother spoke up. "We didn't mean to--"

"No, mom," Injun shook his head and picked at his breakfast. "Don't worry about it. It's...something else."

"Can't you tell us about it?"

"Who gives a anyway?" Mr. Lee coldly spat.

Sometimes, Mr. Lee would get into these moods where he acted so cold to Injun. The poor boy almost didn't feel like his son during these times, but he got through them. Lately, however, it seemed to be occuring a lot more...

"You wouldn't understand," Injun sighed. "You just wouldn't."

"Son," Mrs. Lee reached to take his hand, "I know we fight a lot, and we might seem like total strangers at times, but we were once your age too. We've been in your shoes."

That was the second time that morning Injun almost burst out into laughter. He had always tried to fade into the background of the world, but this just made him stand out now, especially to himself. And the fact that he didn't know why it was all happening to him made it worse.

"Sure, mom," Injun sarcastically chuckled. "You know exactly what I'm going through."

After that, Injun dashed out of the house and gladly hopped on the bus to school. Before he went to take his seat, however, the driver who usually ignored the students turned to him and said something, something that Jin might have said.

"You have seen the good," the driver spoke solemnly, "so you have to see the evil as well."

He turned back to the road and went back to his usual demeanor after saying that, and Injun could almost swear he saw an unnatural light leave his body after that. The boy guessed that Jin used the old man so he would listen, since Injun didn't feel like talking to the angel that morning. Despite that, he still wanted to ask Jin even more questions, but wasn't completely sure that he'd answer them all. After all, "it's not important that he know a lot about them."

With a long sigh, Injun closed his eyes and eased into his seat, when another student came and sat next to him. Injun didn't get a lot of company, so this came as sort of a shock. He opened his eyes and glanced at the girl next to him. She was from his Hanja class, if he wasn't mistaken.

"Hi," she smiled at him. "You're Injun, right?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "And you're...Ashley?"

"Yup," she beamed.

A silence followed that in which Injun lay back again, and the bus moving along was the only sound for a while. That is, until Ashley took out a notebook from her backpack and opened it. She flipped through several pages before her pencil scribbled on the paper for a bit. After about ten minutes, Injun finally worked up enough curiousity to open his eyes and see what she was doing. He couldn't have expected it. Drawn on a page was a near perfect likeness of...an angel.

"That's beautiful," Injun mumbled before he could stop himself.

"Thanks," Ashley giggled and looked at him. "You know, this probably sounds crazy but..."

"But what?"

"Well," Ashley cleared , "I see him in my dreams a lot."

"Who?" Though Injun had a pretty good idea of who she meant.

"This angel. He comes to me a lot, and we just...talk. Sounds crazy, doesn't it?"

"Not at all...tell me, though, do you ever see him when you're awake?"

"Nope," Ashley shook her head. "Not once. But that doesn't mean I don't feel him."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well...it's hard to explain. I mean, I know I'm not going through my day alone, even when it looks like I am. You don't have to see something to know it's real. Sometimes, just feeling it is enough. That's called faith."

And that was the moment that Injun saw a hand bring itself to rest on Ashley's shoulder, making the girl smile brightly. Injun looked back and saw an angel, who looked very much like the one in her drawings, smiling as well. The angel glanced at Injun and bowed shortly, the boy doing the same.

"Yeah," Injun nodded, "I think I know what you mean."

With another bright smile, Ashley turned back to her notebook to put the finishing touches on her drawing. Injun felt a presence with him, although he didn't see it, so he closed his eyes with a smile and lay his head back. He knew what she meant by faith, and he was developing that himself. He could feel his own angel near him.


Throughout the school day, Injun saw more demons, but none approached him. They still scared the boy, but he felt better knowing they wouldn't come near him...for now. Even Husky could tell that he was on the edge, and constantly reminded him he was going crazy, to which Injun's reply would be either a nod of agreement, or a guffaw.

"You look like me," Husky smiled devilishly over the lunch table, "the first time I had to take care of Jihwan by myself."

"Shut up," Injun laughed. "You weren't alone, I was with you."

"Oh, that's right. You weren't much help, though."

"Hey, I was 11," Injun defended himself. "And I still didn't know how the heck diapers and bottles were supposed to even work."

"Good thing I had a lot of practice with my mom, otherwise we would've spent the night in a hospital."

"Now he's such a big boy."

"You sound like my mom," Husky teased.

"No," Injun's eyes lit up. "I sound like you."

Husky laughed loudly at that, not having an adequate comeback. But he fell deep into thought after that, which worried Injun. It was rare for Husky to be like this, and he only did so when it was really serious, like the time his father was about to leave. That was such an awful time.

"Hey," Injun reached to tap Husky's shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing," Husky tried to deflect the concern.

"Liar."

Husky tried to reply, but he couldn't.

"You can tell me anything, remember?" Injun smiled warmly.

After a long sigh, Husky was visibly on the verge of tears.

"Something's wrong with Jihwan," he finally whispered.

"Did you take him to the--" Injun began to ask.

"Not physically." Husky stated.

"What do you mean by that?"

After a moment of pondering exactly how to say it, Husky carefully began to explain.

"Well," he began, "he's been having a lot of nightmares. And when he wakes up, he'll be screaming and crying, and saying 'monster.' He usually looks around the room as if something is in there, taunting him..."

A shiver ran through Injun as he imagined just what was going on. He had a hunch that he knew what was bothering Jihwan, but he didn't want to say. He'd have to ask Jin more about it. But for now, all Injun could do was comfort his best friend.

The school bell rang, and the student marched back to their respective classes. Injun didn't want to leave Husky at that point, but he knew he had to.