Mother

Dark Prince

After trying to talk with Ashley and being branded crazy, Injun walked home as if a zombie. The emotions were getting so out of hand that he had to basically shut himself down to keep from being overwhelmed. He didn't notice anyone or anything on his way back, only thinking of how disappointed he was, and how he truly didn't have anyone to talk to about the scariest predicament in his life. Injun was feeling so down that he failed to see how empty the streets were, not of regular life, but of demons. Usually, there'd be a few lurking here and there, always giving Injun a growl or a glare, but there was none that day. And honestly, he didn't care. The only thing on his mind was how alone and helpless he was feeling, something he hadn't honestly felt since Jin had come into his life.

"Hey honey," Mrs. Lee called when she heard the door open, but silence was her only answer. "Injun?...hello?"

When Injun passed through the threshold of the kitchen, Mrs. Lee was shocked to see how numb her son looked. The boy wasn't known for letting his feelings show, and more often than not, he'd retreat to his room and vent. Yet now, it was obvious how much he was going through. Whether it was something she could help with or not, she was intending to find out, and the plate of cookies that she had just taken out of the oven would help with that. She took a few and walked carefully to where the door to Injun's room stood.

Mrs. Lee paused by the door when she heard her son talking softly, which was strange. While technology was racing forward, Injun didn't care much about owning a cell phone, preferring to meet up and talk with his only friend in person. There was no one he should be talking with alone in his room, especially since he wasn't the type to let anyone sneak in either. And yet, Mrs. Lee began to doubt how much she could guess about her son after...

"Injun, honey?" she finally decided to knock. "May I come in?"

The sound that Injun made as an approval didn't sound like anything Mrs. Lee had heard from him before. Even through the door, she could hear how broken he was, which in turn broke her heart as well.

"You don't look so good," Mrs. Lee sighed as she came to sit beside her son's head on the bed. "Here, have some cookies."

"I don't feel like--wait," Injun lifted his head, sounding a bit lighter, thankfully, "are those heavenly chocolate drops?"

"You know it," she waved the treats right in front of her son's face, hoping to draw out the little boy she knew was still in there. "I've decided that you haven't had any in way too long."

"That's right," Injun said in wonder as he sat up to savor the chocolately delights. "Where's...dad?" He swallowed thickly at the word, his mother unable to understand what the word brought to his mind.

"He's running late at work," she shrugged, "though that happens often enough."

For a moment, Injun was stunned at the slightest change in his mother's tone, but she let it go. It seemed that she had passed along certain personality traits to her son, something that Injun was kind of glad for, the knowledge giving some sort of validity to his human half. Then again, he thought, that's all it ever will be: a half.

"You know, son," Mrs. Lee tried to keep the quiver from her voice, "it been a really long time since I sat down and talked with you. I know how much you're hurt when your dad and I fight, and I'm sorry for that."

"Mom..." Injun stopped eating and pursed his lips together.

"And there's really no excuse for me to stop--" she choked as tears threatened to fall. "To stop coming to you because of what he and I go through. Pooh Bear," the nickname almost sounded weird coming from her and not in, "you have been the joy of my life ever since you were born, and I'm sorry if I seemed to have forgotten that. Your father and I..."

"No, mom, I understand...more than you could possibly know, I understand. And to be honest, I don't want you to worry about me, because I want you to know that I have someone watching over me all the time. I'm not alone, and I'm safe."

The words did little to comfort Mrs. Lee, but she leaned over to hug Injun just the same. If he truly did believe what he was saying, then there wasn't much she could say or do. For a moment, she wanted to ask who he had been talking to just before she came in, but something told her that it wasn't something she should be worrying about. All she did was lean forward and place a kiss on her son's cheek, just as she used to do years before when he was just a child. Injun almost retaliated, but the act was so comforting that he allowed it.

"I love you, mom," he smiled as he finished the last of the cookies she gave him.

"I love you too, my baby," Mrs. Lee smiled sadly, the years of guilt and sadness suddenly filling her to the brim in those few moments. And yet, she knew she had to be strong for him. The funny thing was, Injun also knew that he had to be strong for her in a time like this. But for a moment, Mrs. Lee's facade faltered as a mysterious dread flooded in her guts, and it had to do with how the atmosphere of the room changed. It was only augmented by Injun looking up at his wall, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Pooh Bear," she whispered, almost longingly, "please be safe."

Honestly, she didn't know the reason behind her saying that, but it somehow felt right, especially when Injun smiled sadly in thanks. He nodded and gave her a hug. The gesture was enough to revitalize Mrs. Lee's spirits, so she stood up and went out to go make preparations for dinner after giving her son one more smile. Although she was smiling, Injun seemed to notice some kind of melancholy in her eyes, which he was wondering was probably reflected on his own face as well. When he was alone, but not really, Injun turned to his guardian angel and picked up their conversation where it had left off.

"I told you," Jin sighed, "you're special. Of course people are going to call you crazy, even though I myself thought Ashley would be the first to believe you. Who knew she thought of her Kidemonas as nothing more than imagination?"

"Same here," Injun plopped down so he was laying on his back, a fresh batch of tears threatening to leak out. "I don't want you to think I don't appreciate you, Jin, but I sometimes want someone to talk to who is human. There's something about normal humanity that I miss."

"Again, I'm sorry. It's not fair that you were into this world against your will, and I know you must wish it was someone else, but I honestly believe you were chosen for a reason. Look at yourself, Pooh Bear. I don't think more than one percent of the people on earth could have lasted as long as you have, and I mean that. You're so much stronger than you make yourself out to be, most of which stems from your humility. And, more than anything, Pooh Bear, I'm really glad to have been chosen as your personal guardian angel. While I lack the humanity that you long for, I will be here whenever you need me."

With a sigh, Injun leaned up to give the angel a hug, already full out crying from the emotions evoked during Jin's speech. All the boy could to in return was say a simple thanks. Jin was right about Injun's craving for humanity, as showcased by his mood lift after talking to his mother, but he was grateful for the angel's presence as well. For a moment, the two could only keep each other in an embrace, but a familiar flash filled the room. Jin and Injun toward the window to see Mika with a grave expression.

"Injun," the crystal-eyed angel looked down. "There is a great uproar."

Just then, Ashley's frantic looking guardian angel appeared beside Mika, tears flowing heavily from his eyes.