Doubt

Dark Prince

"I'm your guardian angel," the man named Jin answered.

It took a few second for the words to sink in, but when they did, Injun burst out laughing. Jin frowned, looking offended.

"You don't believe me?" Jin folded his arms across his chest.

"I just want to know how you got into my house," Injun chuckled. "You have to be a really good theif to come in unnoticed."

"I am not a thief," Jin immediately snapped. "I am an angel. Your angel."

"Oh please."

Injun's disbelief drew Jin over the edge, and the so-called angel jumped up, only to be held in midair by two very large wings from his back. He smirked seeing Injun finally become speechless.

"Now do you believe me?" Jin smiled, though not mockingly.

The sight was enough to stun Injun for a few moments, but he nodded quickly and bowed on all fours. The boy clasped his hands together and begged for mercy, to which Jin's answer was a long laugh.

"Silly boy," Jin shook his head. "I'm your guardian angel, not Death himself coming to get you. Get up, and quit your begging. I am merely an angel, not the Lord."

"Lord?" Injun looked up in confusion. "Do you mean..." he pointed upwards.

"Yes," Jin nodded. "We are both servants, so don't bow to me."

Just as Injun was about to answer, a commotion from the front door interrupted them. As usual, his parents were ripping each other's throats out. Injun never knew the reason, but he still wanted to smack them. A faint "I'll be with you" was spoken from where Jin stood, but Injun found that he was gone when he turned back. That alone was enough to have Injun questioning his sanity, convinced it was high time for that to happen. He shook his head and locked his door. But before he opened his backpack to take out his homework, Injun caught scent of something that he had never smelled before. He found that he couldn't compare it to anything, whether it be flowers, or honey, or artificial chemical scents. That too passed so quickly that Injun dismissed it again.

Still, he had a strange feeling in his gut telling him that it was all real, that it was only the tip of the iceberg.

That night, Injun spent his night like any other, listening to his parents fighting over why the sky is blue, or something stupid like that. Jin didn't appear again, despite Injun waiting for a good several hours. But Injun had felt strange, almost watched. It was far from creepy, however, and he oddly felt safe. He could still hear Jin's promise before leaving.


Injun slowly woke up half expecting Jin to be beside him, or somewhere around him. He was slightly disheartened when he didn't find the guardian angel, though. With a shake of his head, though, Injun reminded himself that he wasn't about to go mad, despite the strong inkling that he already was. Not even the faint scent he caught last night reappeared. Jin's "I'll be with you" oddly remained prominent in the boy's mind as he took a shower and brushed his teeth.

During breakfast, Injun was extremely quiet. While that wasn't necessarily out of the ordinary, the aura about him affected his parents, making them a bit uneasy. They asked their son what was on his mind, but he dismissed it and shook his head. He didn't want them to know about the mental condition he was sure he was developing. The one person he could trust, however, was only a bus ride away, to which he was extremely grateful. But being his best friend, Husky would probably chew him out more than his parents would have.

On the way to the bus, Injun kept his head down, deep in thought. If Jin really did exist and was his guardian angel, what was going to happen then? And why hadn't he appeared before? There were many times he wished to have someone beside him, but he never could have imagined what it would be like with an actual angel. Was there a reason to his appearance? And if so, why was Injun feeling this strange apprehension? Hopefully, he could figure it out with Husky when they met at school.

As usual, Injun sat alone on the bus, but didn't really feel alone this time. He tried to shake off the feeling by looking out the window, but it didn't work. The bustling of the city blurred by, and the student finally lost himself in it. He disappeared for a while, merely a shell left in a moving vehicle, unperceived.

Then a flash of white interrupted him.

Injun quickly looked back toward where he saw it and was shocked. Behind them, an angel dressed and flying like Jin was following an old woman. Injun was about to ask the other students who were also looking out the window, but none of them seemed to take notice. When he looked back and rubbed his eyes, the angel was still visible. That solidified Injun's belief, but he was somehow glad. He thought how special he must be to have his very own guardian angel, a feeling he was foreign to.

"What do you think about angels?" Injun asked Husky before their first class.

"Angels?" Husky frowned in confusion. "Since when are you interested in angels?"

"Please, just tell me your honest opinion."

Husky leaned against the lockers and sighed, trying to sort out his thoughts.

"The light of Heaven," Husky began, "miniscule as it may seem sometimes--"

"Talk normally," Injun rolled his eyes. "I'm serious."

"Sorry," Husky chuckled. "I can't help it. But why are you suddenly into them?"

"Tell me your opinion first, Husky."

"Fine. Honestly, I'm open to suggestions. While I may not completely believe in supernatural powers or beings, I can't help but feel another world operates, one that's not physical. Angels? Maybe. Other beings? Definitely. But there's another thing I believe too."

"What's that?" Injun suddenly became really interested.

"There are bad ones too."

A shiver ran through Injun, wondering if that was what he was apprehensive about. Even when he knew of good angels, he also heard about bad ones too. But he only encountered two so far, both of which seemed good. Then again, he heard of how the bad ones could disguise themselves as radiant beings too...

"Did you hear me, Injun?" Husky waved his hands in front of his friend's face.

"What did you say?" Injun shook his head to clear his thoughts.

"I said, now what were you going to say?"

"Oh that...well...I kind of met an angel..."

Injun bit his lip in expectation and slowly looked up. Surprisingly, Husky's didn't look as he was about to burst into laughter, and neither was he skeptical. Was he really going to believe this?

"You must've been dreaming," Husky chuckled.

Guess not.

"Yeah," Injun feigned laughter. "I must have been dreaming."

After that, Injun didn't bring up angels again.


With a long sigh, Injun threw his backpack in his room and collapsed backwards on his bed, closing his eyes in the peaceful silence. A strange sense of security washed over him as he breathed, and the scent from before caught his attention. When he lowed his arm off of his face and opened his eyes, Injun was met with a face with a large smile hovering above his own. It was one that he had really wanted to see since the night before.

"Jin?" Injun cautiously whispered, afraid that the angel might disappear as he did last night.

"Hello, Injun," the angel replied brightly. "You must be exasperated after that conversation with Hyunmin."

"Husky? You heard our conversation?"

"Like I said," Jin chuckled lightly, "I'm your guardian angel. I was with you when you were under your blankets the first time you heard your parents fighting. And also the first time you picked up a razor and sliced your skin." Jin's eyes noticably saddened at this.

"You've seen all that?" Injun suddenly felt like shrinking at the revelation that he had no secrets with Jin, despite having only met him the prior night.

"Yes," Jin nodded. "I've also been with you the first time you ed."

That was the last straw. Injun covered his face and turned away, having nothing hidden from this man, or angel, or whatever was more than he could handle. Luckily, Jin's laughter broke the awkward silence.

"You don't have to be embarrassed," Jin touched the boy's shoulder. "There are a lot more humiliating things that people have done. Things that they know they shouldn't."

"Still," Injun still faced the wall, "I don't want you knowing all of that."

"Sorry, but that's the truth."

With a sigh, Injun slowly turned to face the angel, having half expecting him to already be gone. But it was somewhat a relief to see his bright smile. Injun had rarely ever seen one like that, and he had to admit that he could get used to it. For a few moments, a silence aded, but by no means was it awkward. A hint of a smile tugged at the corners of Injuns lips and threatened to brighten. He couldn't help it. Being with Jin made Injun feel...good.

"What are you smiling at?" Jin frowned playfully.

"You can't read my mind?" Injun was a little surprised. "Aren't you an angel?"

"Yes, I am an angel, but I'm not all powerful. I am merely a Kidemonas, though being a Prinkipas, I do have certain extra attributes."

Injun blinked several times in confusion, the words failing to seep through to his mind.

"What?" was all the boy could reply.

"Sorry," Jin laughed. "It's not important for you to know a lot about us. But the basic thing is that I'm higher ranked among my division, and I'm allowed to do a little more."

"Like what?" Injun was beginning to get fascinated.

"Not now, Pooh Bear," Jin chided.

The boy gasped and sat up at the nickname.

"What...did you just call me?" he gaped.

"Pooh Bear," Jin smiled lovingly.

"I haven't been called that for--"

"Nearly ten years," Jin finished for him.

"My mother used to call me that until..." Injun couldn't finish.

"Your father came back. I know."

Jin reached out his arms to take the boy in his embrace. Injun had started to cry at remembering the point when his life came crumbling down. But now that he had a guardian angel, things would get better...wouldn't they?

"There, there," Jin whispered gently. "You've made it this far. I think you could stick it out for a few more years to at least get your high school diploma."

No answer, other than his choked crying, came from Injun.

"You know," Jin continued, "God promised that He'd never give you anything you couldn't handle, and certainly nothing that He can't help you with. Besides, I'm here now. It's actually exceedingly rare for one to see his or her guardian angel. You're a huge exception."

"What makes me so special?" Injun let his curiosity overtake his sadness.

"You'll know when the time comes. For now, just sleep."

Injun nodded and the angel backed off a few paces. They shared weak smiles, but were happy with the short time they had managed to have with each other. As Jin was beginning to fade away, he raised his hand to wave goodbye, which Injun returned. There on the angel's hand was a golden band that seemed to be engraved with words that Injun couldn't recognize.

He decided that he would have to ask about that tomorrow.