Unseen

Dark Prince

After the introduction to the angel, Injun began to see a whole different world operating right in his own, which seemed to be invisible to nearly everyone else. In fact, very little happened without the intervention of these angels, as far as Injun could see. They seemed to be behind every miracle, big and small. A bullet just missed you by a few inches? An angel waved it away. Just one wrong turn, and you would've driven off a cliff? An angel whispered "keep going." You offered a stranger a hand, and you found out she was your sister? Yup, an angel led you to her.

Injun was the only one who watched all of these happen, and found it all fascinating. Although he had originally attributed much of life to chance and luck, he was now finding himself wrong. There was definitely a God who orchestrated all, and he could witness it. But just as the times before, when he considered how all this was happening, he couldn't help but wonder...why him?

At school, Injun met with his usual friend. He wanted to tell Husky about it all, but knew he'd be met with skepticism as before. This one important thing was the only aspect of his life that he now kept from Husky. But he couldn't tell anyone, which would unfortunately have him eventually implode.

"A soul bears two sides," Husky chimed as they were headed to math class. "One pure as snow, the other evil as navel lint."

"Excuse me?" Injun stood stunned. That was a weird statement, even from Husky.

"I think I misquoted that," Husky chuckled. "But you get the point."

The two friends laughed off the brain fart and got ready for class. It was the typical morning with Mr. Lee, nicknamed "The Shark" by his students, plowing through some mathematical mystery in only an hour of class. The short and dorky teacher loved to busy himself with teaching classes, especially the math ones. He was a nerd, and was nowhere near ashamed of it. Injun admitted to having a strong liking for the teacher, though he would dare not befriend a teacher, for fear of having him fired.

About 45 minutes into the class while all of the students were taking notes, Injun looked up to the board and nearly screamed from shock. An angel was hovering beside The Shark, seeming to keep watch. He looked at Injun and seemed to consider the boy for a moment, before bowing his head lightly. Although he wasn't completely sure about the situation, Injun returned the bow, but looked up to see the angel gone. It was the first time an angel other than Jin had taken notice of him.

There wasn't a second angel sighting during the rest of the school day, but that didn't stop Husky from asking what was with Injun's beaming face. A look of fascination radiated from Injun all day, even when he had gone home. It still hit him like a ton of bricks to witness the world in such a different perspective. Injun found truth in the saying, "Nothing is what it seems," which was validated by Jin and his comrades. Speaking of Jin, he had finally met with Injun again that day.

"Why don't they take notice of me?" Injun inquired. "The other angels."

"That couldn't be farther from the truth," Jin laughed. "All they do is talk about you." He quickly shut his mouth after that.

Injun's interest roused, and he frowned at his guardian angel.

"What do you mean by that?" the boy asked. "Are you keeping things from me, Jin?"

"Nevermind that, Pooh Bear," Jin shook his head. "There is still much to be done before we can tell you the truth. All I ask right now is that you trust me, and our judgement. We're still not sure whether or not you're--" Jin coughed before continuing. "Ready."

The boy felt a little hurt at this in addition to wondering what the "truth" was, and why he was the topic of conversation among guardian angels. "Kidemonas" as Jin called them, which Jin seemed to be somewhat a leader of. A "Prinkipas." Although he was extremely curious about the way the angels worked, Injun had a feeling that he would barely be able to understand them. He was, after all, a human who had only just been exposed to them in the last several weeks. But he was at least glad that Jin was appearing to him more and more, especially since the angel talked more as well.

"Okay, but can you at least answer this?" Injun spoke up again. "What is that ring around your finger? None of the others I've seen even had rings."

"Oh this?" Jin held up his right hand. "It's a special ring they gave me just before they had allowed you to see me."

"What does it say, and what does it do?"

"It says 'AORATOS' which means 'unseen.' My superiors gave it to me because they wanted to keep me hidden from the other angels."

"Why would they want that?" Injun was now confused. "Aren't you all comrades, or something?"

"Yes, we are," Jin nodded. "But...they wanted me to handle you by myself. Angels can tell where the others are, expect when one wears an Aoratos Ring. The superiors are very mysterious. Even I don't know much about them other than rank and abilities. We Kidemonas are workers among the earth, while the ones in Heaven orchestrate much of our activity. And they in turn get their commands from God. You could say I'm a lower class angel, but I'm second in command among the Kidemonas, the guardian angels. I speak with the superiors at times, but I hear nothing outside of orders, and I have no right to ask anything else. Whatever happens, happens with a reason. But I, as a Kidemonas, don't know what those reasons are. I will be as lost as you at times, so you'll have to forgive me."

Injun, who had been listening intently to Jin's explanation, was left speechless at the end.

"Now I'm more confused," Injun rubbed his temples. "That's a lot of information to digest."

"Like I said," Jin chuckled, "it's not important for you to know a whole lot about us, as long as you know we're working together...with you, as well."

"With me?" Injun shot back. "What have I been doing?"

Jin shook his head and smiled.

"Sorry, Pooh Bear," he apologized. "You'll come to know what I mean very soon. Perhaps too soon."

Right at that moment, the front door opened and the sounds of shouting filled the entire house. Injun sighed and brought his hands to his face, tired of hearing this almost every night. In front of him, Jin watched him in pity, before speaking again, words that held such foreboding.

"Go see what I mean," Jin looked down and sighed. "Take a look at your parents and see what I mean by working with you."

A sick feeling washed of Injun as Jin disappeared. The boy hestitantly opened the door of his room and walked toward the living room where his parents were fighting. He tiptoed to the threshhold, careful not to have them notice him coming. His angry parents was something he had gotten used to, but he could see something else this time. There on the shoulders of his parents were two...shadows? They were blacker than the night and had yellow cat-like eyes and a mouthful of sharp teeth.

Demons.

Even without his guardian angel's explanation, Injun could understand what they were. They were the personification of evil, and looked it as well. When they whispered into Injun's parents' ears, the couple would shout, then the demons would laugh. It was like a game to them to cause trouble. Chills went down Injun's spine when one of the demons stopped and took notice of him. He immediately turned around and ran to his room, shutting the door quickly. If he could see angels, Injun should have guessed that he'd be seeing the other end of the scale too. It was horrifying. As he lay on his bed, an even more terrifying thought came to mind.

How would Injun protect himself from the demons?