Purpose

Dark Prince

On his way home from school, Injun walked through streets of more demons, but again, none approached him. He eyed them cautiosly, and they would always growl at him. Some, however, smiled disgustingly, as if they were taunting him. Whatever it was, it gave Injun a bad feeling. Injun was extremely thankful that there seemed to something unseen keeping their distances.

So, the school boy made his way home, trying his best to swallow his fear and march on. Thinking back to his conversation on the bus with Ashley, Injun felt a calming presence with him, and felt - knew - that Jin was with him. The guardian angel probably had something to do with the protection, but that was only Injun's guess. It seemed that these days, there wasn't a time when Injun didn't have a nagging question in his mind. And to make things more frustrating, Jin's answers were never satisfactory, or he claimed it wasn't the right time to answer. Just once, Injun wanted this new world he had been flung into to make sense. He couldn't have possibly have known that he was going to wish he hadn't known anything.

After practically sprinting the rest of the way when his home was in sight, Injun threw his stuff into his room and lay on the bed. It would be quite a while before his parents would come, and there wasn't much to do about the house at the moment. He could do his homework, but he wouldn't have been able to concentrate. All he needed was a little while with Jin, and he would feel much better. The angel gave him a sense of serenity, despite his unwillingness to give answers.

"You don't look so good," came the familiar voice as Injun breathed a heavy sigh.

"Believe me, I know," Injun chuckled nervously. "I'm so glad you came."

"You're going to raid me with questions, aren't you?" Jin smiled teasingly. "I had a feeling you'd be like this today."

"Do you mind?"

"Not at all. Just remember to trust me no matter what my answer is."

"My first question is about the demons."

"Oh yeah," Jin sighed. "Them."

"You said we'd work together, and I can guess what you meant, but would you care to explain that to me?"

"You're probably not going to like this. But yes, we want to work with you. You don't know how much power you have. I was chosen to come to you at this time with only one order: 'Fight the Evil with the boy.' Anything more, I'm as lost as you, because those were all the orders given to me."

"So I have some power?" Injun couldn't believe what he was hearing. "I'm special?"

"You are unlike any other human on earth, I can tell you that."

"Then we're supposed to fight these...demons?"

"That's right," Jin nodded solemnly. "And it's almost time for you to start."

"Wait," Injun shook his head, "I don't even know how to fight demons. I've only just started finding out about all of this."

"Don't worry, I'll show you what to do. I'll always be with you, even when I'm unseen. We'll start tomorrow, but most of the training has to be with the actual experience. It'll be dangerous, and there's always the risk of death, but it's what you were meant to do. Don't be afraid, you are fighting with the power of a God who cannot lose."

A feeling of dread and anxiety took over Injun, and he found it increasingly harder to breath. He honestly didn't feel any different from regular people, and he certainly didn't feel like a demon banisher that Jin was making him out to be.

"Okay," Injun finally breathed. "Now for my next question."

Jin nodded approvingly.

"Husky's brother, Jihwan," Injun sighed. "There's a demon bothering him, isn't there?"

A moment of consideration from Jin followed. The angel slowly nodded his head.

"That'll be my first fight," Injun steadfastly declared.

"Is that so?" Jin finally smiled again. "Lucky for you, that the ones bothering children are a lot less dangerous. So yes, this would be a good first practice for you."

"I'm not going to do it for practice. I'm going to do it for Jihwan."

"There's something that you should know right now, Pooh bear. I've told you that I'm a Prinkipas among my division and possess certain abilities. Well, I can radiate a sort of Heavenly Light that is not visible to human eyes, but it deflects demons and their attacks. But you have to understand that I will only use that as a last resort. I may be able to keep them away, but only you have the power to banish them back into Hell. You are, after all, their--" Jin immediately stopped speaking.

"Their what, Jin?" Injun frowned.

"You'll know when the time comes."

There it was again. Injun let out an exasperated sigh at that, to which Jin only chuckled. A firm resolve came over Injun, though, and he promised to take on this responsibility fullheartedly, no matter the cost. It was, according to Jin, what Injun was meant to do on this earth. He only hoped it would end well.

"Okay," Injun nodded. "I trust you, Jin."


Despite knowing it was "meant to be" and all that, Injun couldn't help but feel a little guilty about skipping his last period to go train. He rushed home with the angel by his side, trusting him to keep the demons at bay. They never seemed to let go of their fascination for the boy, because Injun felt their desire to approach him every time. It was always creepy. But the boy felt a fire within him, an overflowing drive to do what he was meant to do: get rid of these evil things. And so, as Injun walked into his room to begin receiving his instruction, he made sure to pay attention.

"The first thing you need to know," Jin began as he fly-paced back and forth between the room, "is how to summon the demons, make them come out and face you."

That sent a chill down Injun's spine, and he swallowed thickly.

"They are the words: soou, pali," Jin informed. Injun quietly repeated the words.

"It is a call to fight," the angel continued. "The demons will not approach you without speaking these two words. Always make sure that whatever room you're using is closed, so that nothing may interrupt your impending battles. But you have to understand that even though you don't lock the doors, no one will be able to enter the room once you've called the demon. Even if they did, though, no one would be able to help you, and my help is limited to driving them away when your life is in danger. As I've said, I cannot banish them like you."

"Okay," Injun nodded wide-eyed. "So...how do I banish these demons?"

"That's the tricky part," Jin pursed his lips. "You'll have to fight them off."

"Is that all?" Injun chuckled. "It doesn't sound--"

"That's where you'd be deceived. Fighting off a demon is nothing like fighting with humans. A demon can use tactics that you can barely defend against. And to make matters worse, they're not all the same; some of them have extremely unique abilities. But fortunately for you, the ones that bother children are usually weaker, since children are easy targets."

"So we should start right aw--"

"I'm not saying it'll be easy, just easier. There's a difference."

That one sentence traded all of Injun's drive for anxiety. He immediately wondered how he could have felt so confident, especially since he was still new to this whole angel and demon thing. With his human mind, he couldn't even begin to imagine how this fight would play out. Jihwan needed him though, and that thought gave Injun the strength that he needed.

"Then what?" Injun finally spoke.

"You'll have to literally fight," Jin looked straight into Injun's eyes. "You have abilities as well, though you can only use them when you are facing demons. Injun, you have the potential to become invisible, move objects with your mind, even shake the ground, but no one will feel it except for you and the demon. There may be other hidden powers you have, and you might be able to sense where the demons are if you hone in, but we can't be certain yet."

"So why have I never known about these powers? And why haven't the demons appeared to me before?"

"Like I said, you can only use them when you're facing a demon. And you have only started to see us and them because...you were ready, I suppose."

"It's still a bit unbelievable to me," Injun shook his head with a laugh. "I'm really going to be a demon fighter?"

"I think the proper term is exorcist," Jin chuckled. "But anyway, you banish the demons into Hell by touching their forehead and saying 'akunare kei.' It is an order to go to Hell."

After a moment of considering the last part, Injun chuckled.

"That's it?" the boy scoffed.

"You don't understand," Jin shook his head. "It may sound simple right now, but the demons will do anything to keep you from touching them, even kill you. At first they'll just run around, but as you get closer and closer, they'll begin using different tactics. They might throw things at you, they might disappear, or they may even attack you. Every demon is different, and you'll have to learn how to both defend yourself and attack as well. They won't be able to leave the room you choose to battle them in, but they'll make the best of what they have. You have to be very careful."

Injun understood. He had to learn along the way, and he imagined it would just get harder and harder as time went by, but he seemed to have no choice. It was what he was chosen to do. So with a fire in his eyes, Injun nodded firmly and took his jacket.

He was going to pay a little visit to Husky Woo.