Dark Prince

Dark Prince

"I swear I'm not a ," Mrs. Lee sobbed. "Please, stop calling me that."

In the darkness, Injun slowly walked into the kitchen, so as not to startle his mother. At the sound, Mrs. Lee lifted her head and wiped her eyes.

"What are you doing up?" She asked in surprise. "Did you hear us?"

"No, mom," Injun came over to sit across from her. "I just..."

Jin momentarily appeared to Injun beside the table, and gave the boy the right question.

"Mom?" Injun sighed in his anxiety.

"Yes, dear?" Mrs. Lee sniffled.

"Why did dad leave before I was born? Didn't he know you were pregnant?"

The question hit her hard, and she had to take a moment for the painful memories to return.

"My pregnancy," Mrs. Lee began, "was the reason he left."

"You mean he didn't want me?" Injun finally understood why his father had those days where he seemed to look at his son with disgust.

"No, Injun," she shook her head. "We had tried to have you for a while after getting married, but we just couldn't. After doing some tests, your father's results came back dismal."

The knowledge that he really wasn't Mr. Lee's son sunk in to Injun's head, and he nearly toppled over.

"Then..." the question couldn't roll off of Injun's tongue.

"To be honest," Mrs. Lee started crying again, "I don't even know. Your father was furious, and demanded me to tell him the name of the man who had planted his seed in me. I didn't even see his face. But your father wouldn't believe me, and he left. It took some years, but he came back, but you can see that he still didn't forgive me...I don't think he ever will."

"Wait," Injun shook his head. "You didn't see my biological father's face? Does that mean--"

"I was ."

Injun couldn't believe any of this, yet his mother wasn't one to make up stories. If she said that she was a victim of , then by all means, it was true. The angel had disappeared from the tableside long ago, and Injun couldn't look to him for comfort.

"But..." Injun swallowed hard. "Can you describe him?"

The boy still couldn't understand how any of this would make him a Dark Prince...

"I was coming home from one of my jobs," Mrs. Lee recalled that fateful night, "when I was grabbed into one of the alleys. The funny thing was that I couldn't see who took me, but they felt cold. I swear there were yellow eyes glowing in the dark."

Injun recalled the evil yellow eyes the demons had, and shivered.

"It seemed like a group of...things were laughing, too," she continued. "Then a big man came forward and pinned me against the wall. He was so strong, much stronger than any man could possibly be. His hands were extremely cold, as if he didn't even exude heat. I was so scared. The man took a few minutes, but he finally pulled down my clothes and..."

The scarring memories were so much to take that Mrs. Lee had to stop and cry while Injun still wondered how it...Dark...Prince. Dark Prince. Your Majesty. Injun felt like he couldn't breathe, and he grabbed the edge of the table tightly.

"When he was done," Mrs. Lee sniffled, "he said something about a leader, or a commander, and something about an army, but I didn't understand what that meant. Then he ran off into the streets. I don't know if my fear took over me, but I think I saw...ram's horns on his head."

When the story ended, Injun stood up from the table, and his world was spinning.

"You look awfully pale," his mother pointed out. "I'm sorry, Injun. I wish it didn't happen either."

"I have to go," Injun gasped out before dashing to the door.

The world was spinning, and Injun couldn't think straight anymore, so he could only run. Injun ran through dark streets, past the several people who were still out, but he didn't even know where to. All he could think of was his mother's story, the angels' prophecy, and Jin. Now that Injun knew the truth, he wished he hadn't, and wished even harder that he was a normal kid. He kept running, hoping that he could go far enough to escape this destiny, this truth. At some point though, his legs gave out and he stopped at an empty warehouse with no one around. Although the metal benches inside weren't comfortable at all, he sat on one of them and cried until the sun came up.

"I'm sorry, Pooh Bear," Jin's gentle voice filled the empty warehouse. "I'm so sorry."

"You," Injun looked up and growled. "Why didn't you tell me already?"

"Do you think you would've believed me?" Jin sighed. "This was the only way."

"So is that why I can banish the demons to Hell? Because I'm their prince? Because Satan is literally my father?"

"Yes, Injun," Jin nodded sadly. "We couldn't stop it from happening, he was too well prepared."

"This must be a joke."

"Pooh Bear," Jin reached forward.

"Don't touch me," Injun stood up and backed away. "And stop calling me Pooh Bear, I haven't even known you for a year. What could you hope to do with me when I'm the Prince of Darkness? I shouldn't even be working with you."

"Injun, calm down."

"How was I not even killed the few months I was born?"

"Lucifer had his soldiers protect you for several years, until your soul grew strong enough to emit its own protective force. I'll admit that we had been ordered to try to get to you and kill you."

"But you couldn't," Injun spat out, "so you wanted to use me?"

"It's not like that, Injun. There has never been anyone like you in the history of mankind. Although you are the Seed of Evil, you are also half human, and that's why neither Evil or Light can detect you. Your human half thwarts the Dark's senses, and your Evil half hides you from Light's senses. But I will admit that we saw your potential to banish demons as their prince. Just know that we look at you as a person first and foremost, Injun, not as a tool for our gain."

Injun stood silently for a few minutes, still crying.

"There's something I need to know, though," the Dark Prince sighed to calm himself.

"Yes, Injun?" Jin fidgeted in his nervousness.

"As the Seed of Evil...am I bound for Hell? I want you to answer me truthfully, Jin."

A few feet away, Jin looked down to the ground in thought.

"Jin," Injun whispered, "you've kept enough secrets from me."

"I honestly don't know," Jin finally answered. "I'm as lost as you are on that one."

"What's your best guess then?"

The air became palpably tense as Jin's answer was on the tip of his tongue.

"Please, Jin," Injun pleaded with tears. "Just answer me."

"Okay, Injun," Jin came forward and hugged the boy. "My best guess is...yes, you are."

With that, Injun was loosed onto another crying fit, but he thankfully had the angel to hold him and comfort him. This was much too much information for one morning. At least now, Injun thought, there were no more secrets. Only the mystery of the prophecy was left. This whole ordeal was extremely unsettling, and Injun didn't think he'd ever recover from it soon, or ever. There would always be the shadow of the knowledge of what he was hovering over him, threatening to drive him mad.

School had started, but Injun decided to skip it for a day and instead spend time alone in his room, his parents already having gone to work. He stared for hours at the walls, the hodge podge of information swimming back and forth in his mind, never giving him a moment's peace. Jin decided to give the boy some privacy, feeling like he needed some of that himself. For hours and hours, the one thought that ran through Injun's head was his newly discovered title:

Lee Injun, Prince of Darkness.