Overview

Dark Prince

For days, Injun's perception of life was nothing but a big blur. He ate, went to school, barely talked with Husky and Ashley, came home to do his homework, but none of it registered in his mind. All he could think about was his role of the Dark Prince. The one thing he was thankful for during this time was that Jin didn't come to bother him about anything. Although the angel was a source of comfort much of the time, Injun didn't want anything to do with the spiritual world at the moment. He fooled himself into thinking that he could escape his title if he ignored the world. The demons and the angels that were still visible to him, however, reminded him otherwise.

Pop songs, mathematical formulae, Hanja, Injun focused on those for a time, not even batting an eye when the demons roared at him. He even ignored the guardian angels, the Kidemonas, who took a few seconds to acknowledge him with a bow of the head. Mr. and Mrs. Lee were confused by their son's sudden shutting of the world, but they knew better than to pry. His mother only hoped that her story hadn't affected him too much, though she couldn't know just how much it did. She didn't know that the Dark Prince was her son.

On his bed, Injun was working diligently on his homework, which wasn't that much to begin with. He could always study Hanja, however, and that would take up quite a bit of time. That is, if he didn't get a visitor, whom he beginning to expect soon. Injun's feelings about Jin were usually right.

"How are you?" that gentle voice asked.

Injun almost chuckled with his having guessed right, but sighed instead.

"Haven't you been watching me?" Injun turned to face the guardian angel.

"Yes," Jin pursed his lips. "I just thought it would be polite to ask. Are you dealing with this alright? You've been doing nothing but schoolwork, as if you're trying to distract yourself."

"Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I'm the Seed of Evil. Now it makes sense why I used to have night terrors as a baby, according to my mother. She said she used to feel something creepy, but...now I know why."

"Again," Jin came forward to put his hands on Injun's soldier, "I'm sorry."

"Please stop apologizing. Seriously, it's not your fault. You're just the easy target for my venting."

"No one expects you to take this well. In fact, most of us were convinced you wouldn't even survive the revelation."

That last sentence made Injun frown.

"Wait," he tensed up, "so you guys thought I would kill myself?"

Jin let out a light chuckle before hanging his head.

"Yeah," the angel looked up again. "Though I wasn't one of them, I know how strong you are."

With that, Injun let go of his insecurities and smiled at his guardian angel, whom he had started considering his friend. They shared a tight hug, and Injun did not want to let go. Despite all of the complexities, all of the secrets, the mysteries, Injun still wanted Jin by his side until the end, whenever that may be.

He hoped that would be a long way off.

The next day at school, Injun felt a little better, having talked with Jin the whole night about everything but the spiritual world. Husky and Ashley noticed that too, and they were happy when Injun greeted them with a smile instead of with an emotionless nod. The three were hardly ever apart since they had met, even Ashley quickly becoming part of their duo. Of course, Husky was still convinced that the other two were madly in love with each other. Over lunch, they sat together and talked as friends do.

"So Injun," Ashley pushed back her stew, "what's been eating at you the past few days? You're finally sitting with us. I think I missed you."

That gave Husky the incentive to laugh and nudge the other boy.

"Shut up, Husky," Injun chuckled. "And Ashley...it's complicated. I'm still having issues with it, but I'm dealing."

"So what is this 'it?'" Husky came into the conversation. "It doesn't happen to have anything to do with this angel stuff you've been trying to convince me is real?"

Although Injun and Ashley had touched on the subject of angels only a few times, and never in depth, Husky was the designated skeptic. The topic still made the atmosphere awkward.

"Well?" Husky himself began to feel uneasy. "I mean, we don't have to talk about it."

"Yes, Husky," Injun finally answered with a sigh. "It does, actually."

Thankfully for Injun, the bell rung at that moment, cutting the conversation short as the students stood up to go to their classes. The three friends parted, each one's train of thought also going in different directions. Injun just wondered if he would ever have someone believe him who wasn't an angel, because he didn't even have the guts to bring up that kind of conversation with Ashley. It was hard being the Dark Prince, and he didn't even know what his role was in this prophecy yet. What was worse that Jin himself wasn't sure either. His mysterious packages thankfully stopped, though he still refused to tell Injun what they contained.

If all of this was prophecised, then would Injun really have to sacrifice himself to save millions? Or would he be the one to kill them all, his Darkness imbued half taking over him? He decided a nice long conversation with the Kidemonas Prinkipas would help clear things up, despite Jin knowing about as much as the boy did.

"This is something I can't help you with," Jin sighed, the two sitting across each other in the warehouse from before. They found that it was a great place for private talking.

"So let's talk about this, then," Injun stood up and began pacing. "You Kidemonas think that I'm the Dark Prince from the prophecy. And quite frankly, I can see why."

"The prophecy is vague," Jin shook his head, "as every prophecy is. But we believe you are."

"The end of the prophecy said that if Dark Wins, Light will rule, and vice versa. Since I'm fighting alongside you against the demons, then 'Dark' must mean the Prince of Evil. But even if that's true, I still wouldn't know who the Light Prince is."

"Prince..." Jin began fly-pacing too. "That could cover a wide range of those on our side."

"In any case, you and I should not point any fingers, nor inform any other angels of what we think. Can they hear us talking?" Injun began to worry.

"No. I have the Aoratos Ring, and you have the Dark element to hide yourself. No one from either Light or Dark knows where we are, nor can hear us. Don't worry."

"And according to the prophecy," Injun continued, "only I have the power to stop the other, and vice versa. There's just one thing I'm unsure about, and I cannot figure it out for the life of me."

"What's that?" Jin stopped and faced the boy.

"The prophecy says I'm unknowingly destroying the world."

A silent moment passed as the two pondered on those words.

"I'm stumped," Jin shrugged. "How you could be destroying the world, I can't see."

"Me neither," Injun sighed. "I've been banishing these demons, and I can't see anything that would be potentially harmful. Unless we're talking about the sudden rains that come, though those usually only last a few minutes, and are very light."

"Even I don't see any harm in that. I guess...you just have to be careful."

The two ended their conversation with that, since Injun was getting ready to return home. His mother hated it when he stayed out and missed dinner without telling them. For all of Injun's speculations, though, he had no idea if any of it was right, nor could Jin validate any of it.

Well, Injun thought, I guess we'll find out when the time comes.