Exorcism

Dark Prince

For a first excorcism, it was the perfect weather: a layer of clouds kept a gray shade over the city, a light breeze blew through to the soul, and the usually bustling city of Seoul was oddly still. It almost felt as if everyone and everything knew of Injun going for his first mission, and hid in fear, in anticipation, not knowing whether he would make it or not. And Injun himself felt the uncertainty and anxiety that may be his undoing. But Jin promised him that he would come should any extreme danger arise.

So, even as Injun brought his hand up to the door of the Woo's, he gathered his courage and swallowed thickly. A short rap and a wait later, Mrs. Woo opened the door to her home and smiled at the guest.

"Hello, Injun," she greeted. "What brings you here?"

"Good evening, Mrs. Woo," Injun replied. "Is Husky home?"

Mrs. Woo nodded and turned around to call her son, after which she invited the boy in. Husky rushed down the stairs and looked happy to see his best friend at the door.

"You didn't tell me you were coming," Husky teased.

"I know," Injun shyly admitted. "I'm sorry."

"That's alright. Come on."

Husky beckoned the other to come up as he ran to his room, Injun following quickly. They entered Husky's room and sat on the bed with a cd playing in the background.

"What are you doing here?" Husky directly asked. "We usually make plans, or call."

"Sorry," Injun bit his lips. "Again."

"No, it's okay, really," Husky shook his head. "But I'm just wondering if something's going on? The last time you rushed in like this, your father had been chasing you with a knife in his drunken rage."

"It's nothing like that," Injun shuddered at the memories. "I just...came to see Jihwan."

That answer visibly surprised Husky, who frowned in confusion. Injun immediately felt the atmosphere turn awkward.

"Jihwan?" Husky lightly chuckled. "You mean you came after I told you about that nightmare stuff?"

Injun nodded, trying to act as normal as possible, though it was hard to tell if he had succeeded. Husky didn't say anything more, though.

"Do you mind if I go see him?" Injun slowly asked. "I might be able to help."

"Help?" Husky frowned again. "You can see him, but how can you help?"

For a moment, Injun blankly stared at his friend, but blinked away the tension. He looked down and sighed.

"Just trust me," Injun whispered. "That's all I'll ask."

Husky seemed to consider the situation, and probably Injun's sanity as well, but he nodded shortly after. The two friends stood up and walked over a few rooms over to where Jihwan was sleeping. He was whimpering and shaking a little, seeming to have another nightmare. Husky gave off an aura of sadness watching his little brother going through this. Injun looked around the room, but he didn't find a demon...which he thought was strange.

"Can I ask to be alone with him?" Injun quietly asked. "It might be a while, though."

"What are you going to do?" Husky sounded scared. "Will you hurt him?"

"No," Injun shook his head. "But please be patient, and don't panic."

A cloud of concern came over Husky, but he seemed to trust Injun. At least, enough to say yes to his request. So when Husky went out and shut the door, without locking it, Injun turned toward the sleeping boy and uttered the summoning words, "soou, pali."

Nothing happened.

Injun was disappointed, and thought for a second that maybe he was just going crazy, until he heard Jin's faint "good luck" fading from behind him. He looked back to Jin's voice, then shrieked when he turned to face Jihwan again. On top of the boy stood a monster-like demon of the purest shade of black and glowing yellow eyes. It was growling at Injun, as if it was an animal whose territory was in danger of invasion. In fact, that comparison might almost be right.

The demon snarled angrily and jumped off of Jihwan, making Injun take a few steps back in fear. It seemed to smile sickly to show its sharp teeth, before Injun finally stopped retreating and stood his ground. He came here to get rid of this thing, and he wasn't going to back down. The enemies stood facing each other, and had a silent agreement to commence. Again, the demon growled, but Injun had the strange feeling that it was trying to say something. A moment of stillness enveloped the room, but it soon came to an end.

Injun rushed forward to the demon to try to touch it, but he was too slow. His enemy deftly jumped about like a frog, and Injun couldn't keep up with it. This went on quite humorously for a few minutes when the demon finally initiated an offensive move. The demon picked up a toy from the floor and flung it to the boy, who jumped out of its trajectory. Although its attack missed, it smiled in anticipation, as if it was planning something even more dangerous. Injun tried to repeat in his mind what Jin said, that those that target children were a bit weaker.

With just a pinch of confidence, Injun dashed toward the demon and jumped at it before it could run away, but what happened next surprised him. The pitch black demon just...disappeared. It happened so suddenly that Injun was stumped in confusion, looking around for any trace of his enemy. Then he remembered another thing Jin had told him: demons have different abilities. This one had invisibility, it seemed.

Faced with this predicament, Injun could do nothing but look around helplessly for something he couldn't even see. He tried to look for things moving or getting knocked over, but the demon was careful not to make any mistakes. Eventually, Injun felt a strike to the back of his head, and he thought it was all going to be over. Again and again, things got flung at him, and he felt punches and kicks. He was so powerless to find the demon and stop it that he was on the verge of tears when another thing Jin mentioned came to mind.

Injun himself had abilities as well, it was just a matter of whether or not he was able to use them.

First off, Injun couldn't disappear, nor he did he know how. Second, Jin said that he had a lot of abilities, but neither knew what. And even if they did, Injun didn't know how to use them, or put them into effect. It was also made more impossible because Injun was told that he couldn't really train, but had to learn through experience, which right now was being beaten by an unseen demon to his right. It was running over to his left side to strike again.

With a gasp, Injun realized that this was one of the abilities Jin had talked about. He was able to sense where the demon was, and yet he couldn't see it. So with a leap of faith, Injun jumped from the floor and reached his hand over. He felt the form of the evil and quickly muttered "akunare kei." What followed was a bit disturbing for the supposed exorcist. A large crack from the ground split loudly, and anguished screams and intense heat radiated out. What looked like a cyclone of fire rose and lunged toward Injun. The boy shielded himself and expected to be burned, but nothing happened. So, he opened his eyes and looked, only to see the demon crying angrily inside the cyclone of fire, being dragged back into the crack. The screaming seemed to magnify, and a sense of loneliness was palpable. With a gaping mouth, Injun watched the crack seal back as if nothing had happened. Next thing he knew, the door flung open to reveal Husky and his mother panicking.

"What the hell happened?" Mrs. Woo panted out. "We've been trying to get that door open for the past 15 minutes."

"It wasn't even locked," Husky frowned. "What was going on?"

After a moment of silent shock, Injun looked at the two and shrugged.

"You didn't hear anything?" Injun stared blankly. "Didn't feel anything?"

"No," Husky shook his head. "Didn't you hear us calling you? We were shouting our lungs out."

At that moment, Mrs. Woo let out a gasp. The two friends looked up at her, finding that her gaze was fixed on the bed. Husky and Injun looked over as well, and saw Jihwan sitting awake with a smile.

"He's not screaming," Mrs. Woo whispered.

"Are you okay?" Husky ran over to the boy. "Are you scared?"

"No," Jihwan shook his head. "Monster gone."

Silence swelled in the room as the three stared at the boy, Injun himself unable to believe what had just happened. Mrs. Woo walked over to her children and took them both in her arms. She smiled brightly with tears forming in her eyes.

"Whatever you did," she turned to Injun, "thank you."

"Just what did you do?" Husky looked at their guest as well.

Injun could only shrug and offer a smile.

"Would you believe it if I told you," Injun began, "that you wouldn't believe it?"

Husky laughed loudly. He mouthed a heartfelt thanks and returned to his family hug. Injun walked out to find it raining lightly, and Jin appeared beside him.

"You did it," Jin smiled. "The rain is a sign of cleansing."