From behind the lenses, part II

"Heaven" bakery

It has been more than a year and a half since Jimin moved to Seoul, but somehow it just now left an impression on him how the streets of the metropolis looked just as packed with people at 9am as they did later during the day, shoe soles constantly rubbing against the concrete slabs that weren’t completely covered in snow. Pedestrians all looked concentrated on reaching their destination, no one slowing down to say hello or just look around, and Jimin could explain it with the particularly chilly morning. He made sure that his eyes were the only part of his face that weren’t covered with his scarf, quickly hovered his hand over the bag that was resting on his shoulder and made his way to the cozy looking coffee shop, becoming one with the crowd.

Jimin was feeling a lot more levelheaded than he did the previous afternoon, courtesy of the eight hour long sleep he managed to get because of the calming effect his best friend had on him. He knew what he wanted right now and for now Hoseok’s advice from earlier in the morning could wait.

“Well, that looks so much like a dejá vú to me.” Namjoon said after finding a set of red from the cold cheeks and a Jimin attached to them behind the front door, though this time he wasn’t surprised at the early hour the younger chose to visit.

“Hi hyung.” Jimin said and slightly bowed, handing Namjoon a small plastic bag that contained a big cup of coffee and a few pastries. “Please help yourself.” The younger beamed with his ever so irresistible smile, hoping that now his early intrude would be forgiven. Namjoon was a bit taken aback by that, but accepted the treats nonetheless.

“Thank you kid. I’m gonna go call Yoongi, he’s been moping around his bed for the past hour and I’m glad you’re here now. I hope you two talk things through this time, because I can’t stand seeing you both upset, alright?” Namjoon said and returned the smile after receiving a nod from Jimin, disappearing behind the door soon after.

This time around Jimin wasn’t met with a grumpy looking Yoongi with a mess of a hair, now he was fully dressed and looked as if he knew Jimin would come. The black haired boy yelled a ‘goodbye’ to Namjoon before closing the door and fully facing Jimin. The younger felt knots forming inside of him and for a moment he didn’t know what to say or do, he could only stare at Yoongi.

“Hyung-, no I mean… I’m sorry for acting like this yesterday. It wasn’t your fault, none of it was your fault and I’m sorry you had to see me like this. I’m sorry Yoongi…” Jimin’s voice trailed and he was struggling to calm down the raging sea of knots and traces of guilt in his stomach.

Yoongi could feel his lips tugging into a smile, all of the thoughts and confusion that haunted him the night before slowly starting to cease and his body automatically reacted to the wave of relief the younger’s smile caused – he reached out his hand to thread his fingers with Jimin’s, slightly squeezing them in the process to show that his words had reached him.

“You’re a bit wrong. It is my fault for not realizing that there was something troubling you earlier and that I actually left. I really regret leaving…Next time I promise not to leave you to struggle with it alone and I’m sorry I’m still so dense and clumsy with my actions.” Yoongi felt his throat dry and his tongue heavy, but the way Jimin’s face softened helped him to express the feelings that were bottled up inside with words. “Let’s go take a walk and talk, what do you think? Those pastries smelled delicious, let’s stop by the coffee shop before my shift in “Heaven”.”

Jimin firmly held onto his hand and nodded, feeling like no words needed to be added. Both of them felt regret about their actions, but this was an inevitable part of every healthy relationship and as long as they were willing to talk about it, the mistakes that happened every now and then were forgivable. They still needed to learn how to harmonize with one another, listen to the other properly and with that understand each other more. They were slowly, but steadily getting there.

They chose the long way to the coffee shop, enjoying their presence in a way that felt like they hadn’t seen each other in a lot longer than just a day. Yoongi had Jimin’s hand in the pocket of his jacket, because the younger had forgotten to wear gloves. People were staring, some shaking their head, but most of them were too engrossed in their own world to take their time to show an attitude bigger than the negative mentality they possessed about the two young me holding hands in public, but just today neither of them truly cared.

“We match today.” Jimin said quietly, his voice barely reaching Yoongi, but the older knew exactly what Jimin was talking about, probably because the cheeky grin that was spreaded across his was saying enough.

“I know.” He responded, really glad that the said matching accessory, the black beanie with the small ‘Dope’ label in the front, was covering his ears which were probably in a red shade deeper than the one on his cheeks. It also really suited Jimin.

--

“Isn’t that your friend?” Yoongi asked after spontaneously looking out of the window while waiting for their orders to arrive and saw a familiar figure approaching the shop.

“Oh it’s Taehyung.” Jimin confirmed, wondering what was he doing alone. He waved to his friend to catch his attention when he walked inside, as neither he nor Yoongi minded him joining them.

Taehyung’s face lit up when he saw them and he waved back a bit more frantically than needed, not minding the odd stares he received for that.

“Hi Yoongi hyung” he greeted airily and bowed his head in Yoongi’s direction, his smile wide and radiant enough to make the general mood on the table brighter. Just the effect of Kim Taehyung. “And little Jimin” he finished and bumped his friend’s shoulder playfully.

“Stop calling me little, I’ve lived two whole months longer than you.”

“Yeah, well I’m taller than you.”

“That’s why I’m smarter, you know that they say about tall people.” Jimin retorted, already regretting calling him here.

“Did you say something? Couldn’t hear you from up here.” Taehyung answered unfazed by the implied insult. Yoongi found himself unable to follow, but by now he had gotten used to that.

“Where’s Hoseok?” Jimin asked after the waitress served their drinks, also seemingly nonchalant about the slight bickering that just occurred between him and Taehyung, which hinted Yoongi that it wasn’t something he had to worry about, because neither of the youngsters seemed to mean what they said.

“His internship in the clinic started this Monday and he’s been spending most of his time there.” Taehyung grinned proudly, making Yoongi curious.

“In a clinic?”

“Yup, isn’t he amazing? He was at the top of his class so he was offered a three week long internship as a reward. He won’t do much of course, just watching the head doctors do their work, but he was really happy about the opportunity.” The way Taehyung explained everything made it obvious how proud he was of him and how much that meant to him, his whole facial expression changed then he talked about it. “He’s preparing to go to a medical school in a year and half.” Taehyung added, seeing the confusion written on Yoongi’s face.

“He’s always wanted to be a doctor.” Jimin also confirmed, feeling a bit guilty that he didn’t know about it. He made a note to himself to call his best friend later and apologize for his behavior and to congratulate him for the opportunity.

“At least he finally quit that lausy part-time he used to work at that always made him stay overtime and he fell sick because of it.” Taehyung mumbled under his breath, still not having fully forgiven him about that.

Yoongi and Jimin ended up not talking about neither Daegu, nor the day before in general, but Taehyung’s presence proved itself to be what both of them really needed, because his contagious smile was something that managed to bring out the most positive emotions in anyone who had the chance to see it up close. Whether it was when they bickered with Jimin or when he was boasting about the love of his life Taehyung’s liveliness never ceased, it was the little ray of sunshine in between the many dark clouds.

--

“Park Jimin! Please come visit me in my office.” The firm voice of his professor rang in Jimin’s ears as he heard his name being called, realizing that he had fortuitously dozed off in class, which was surprising by itself considering the amount of sugar he inhaled earlier in the morning together with Yoongi and Taehyung.

He took yet another glance to his bag and checked the item inside of it again before shoving the notes he had managed to take before falling asleep next to it, and made his way to the office. He couldn’t say he hadn’t been expected to be called, especially since he had three days until having to leave, but in a way he was also feeling nervous and unprepared.

“Ah, there you are! How are you doing Jimin? You stopped visiting me after I gave you my guidelines for your project, are you working on it well? Let me see it.” His professor was always a lot less strict and he smiled more when they had their private meetings, so Jimin never felt intimidated to be alone with him. He noticed his hands slightly shaking before taking the cork board out, but what he didn’t see was that Mr. Kim noticed it too. The latter took a short look at it and left it to the side, fixating his gaze back to Jimin.

“Is that it?”

The student was startled by the sudden question, especially after seeing how little attention the elder paid to his work. This had never happened before, whenever Jimin made mistakes or when there were things that needed correction his professor always made sure to give him his throughout opinion, but there was something different in his voice this time.

“I’m really sorry, I’m still working on it and I have another idea I think will go well with the theme and if you just give me some time until tomorrow to check it again I promise to-“

“I never said it was bad Jimin, why are you apologizing?” His mentor calmly asked again, never breaking eye contact with the boy. “In fact it is probably your best work by now. It’s not your collage that is wrong boy, but your attitude. Why did you hesitate earlier? Do you not have confidence in your own hard work? That can’t do. You can have the best piece of art, but if you do not believe that it is actually the best its significance will lessen. You can’t meet your audience with such unsteady eyes, Jimin, because nobody can respect an artist that doesn’t respect his own work.” Mr. Kim took the board in his hands again and hovered his hands above every single pinned picture on it, reading along the texts added.

Jimin’s palms were sweating and his vision was starting to blur. It was as if someone had opened the curtains that had been covering his eyes for the longest time, making him unable to see reality the way it is. And it made him think, why did he apologize? Why did his hands shake in a way that implied reluctance? The words of his mentor echoed in his ears continuously, blending together into an incoherent mass of sounds that made his head feel heavy. Mr. Kim has always taught him to show confidence in his own works and to accept both compliments and criticism with his head held high and he always followed that, but right now he realized that he had only been expecting critique, as if he subconsciously believed that his work lacked something.

“Why are you participating in this exhibition?” Mr. Kim asked with a distant and strict voice. It is supposed to be such an easy question with an obvious answer, yet being asked so suddenly Jimin felt himself halting again.

“I want to be able to express myself with my photographs. As an artist I want to-“

“Then why did you make something that doesn’t fulfill your desires?” His professor interrupted him again and pointed to set of pictures. “How are you going to express yourself with something that you have no confidence in? You’re going to stutter in front of the audience and the judges in the same way like now? Hoping that somebody will notice your talent under the layers of uncertainties and insecurities? You know well that it doesn’t work like this Jimin, you are the one who has to prove every single person that has their eyes on you that you, in fact, are an artist and it is your attitude that is going to persuade them that you are passionate about what you do enough to use it as a method to express yourself.”

Jimin felt like words refused to leave his mouth, painfully stuck in his throat. Taehyung’s words suddenly appeared in front of him, deadening the voice of Mr. Kim.

‘You’ve panicked so much that you started overcomplicating things Jimin. Don’t forget the fun side of it or else it won’t come out naturally.’

He thought that he had understood them back then, but right now he realized that he had lost himself along the way, ending up unsure in what he was doing.

“Like I said your project is not bad, it is more than worthy to be presented on that exhibition, but in the end your own feelings are more important. If you feel like this is burdening you then don’t use it! Start everything from scratch and do it in a way that the confidence that usually resides in you appear again. Think about it, what is it exactly that is bothering you? Don’t ever compromise your feelings to meet a standard Jimin, because that way you allow something else than yourself to direct you to the path you want to walk in.” Jimin looked up to meet the eyes of his teacher again after hearing his voice soften. And he was right, right now Mr. Kim was smiling at the younger boy, reassuring him again how much trust he puts in him. And that was enough, really, Jimin’s vision was free from the restrictions he had put on his own.

“I’m sorry for disappointing you Mr. Kim and for allowing myself stray away from my original intentions. But I will not start all over again, because each picture in the collage holds a piece of an important memory to me and weeks’ worth of sleepless nights working on it. Rather, I will add the last missing pieces to it, something that will make it feel fully completed and ready to face the judging eyes of the audience. I promise you to keep my head held high.” Jimin said after standing up and bowed deeply, staying like that for a long time. Not many had the chance to have a mentor like this next to them and Jimin felt like he needed to work even harder show his appreciation for the trust and support his teacher always gave him.

--

Jimin had always known that deep inside, but he never wanted to admit it. He incorporated Yoongi in his photos in a way to make the viewer focus on him, instead of the white season. He was subconsciously putting the snow out of focus, putting aside the main point of his theme.

“Snowflakes from behind the lenses”

The main focus were the little ice flakes that always used to remind him of something bad, but those were in the past and past isn’t bound to repeat itself. The snowflakes in his life right now only reminded him of his first kiss with Yoongi, the first time they whispered “I love you” to each other, the first time they went on a date together. All of that were new beginnings and new chances for him to stop living in past memories and surround himself with new ones. Because how could he properly capture the beauty and the essence of each ice particle if he was running away from it, using Yoongi as a bridge between what he was supposed to do and what he was actually doing?

The brown haired boy smiled to himself and took out his camera, holding it firmly with a newly found confidence and determination that he wanted to express.  

“Snowflakes from behind the lenses”

Snap.

Snap.

Snap.

He could do it.

He could erase the images of the past and embrace his fears.

But this time he wasn’t alone.

 

“Yoongi!”

The older way had just finished his shift, not expecting to be met with a happy looking, but definitely freezing Jimin waiting for him in front of “Heaven”.

“Since when have you been waiting? You look freezing.” Yoongi exclaimed and put his hands on the other’s cheeks with the intention to warm them up, but he immediately noticed the way Jimin’s eyes were sparkling, making him look as happy as he hasn’t looked in a really long time. Though, he only had a second or two to look at him since his mind was soon occupied with the pair of warm lips that were pressed onto his.

“Not anymore.” Jimin said after pulling back and grinned, making Yoongi scrunch his face.

“Did you eat something extra sweet while you were in class? I’m getting a toothache!” The older answered, but didn’t hesitate a second to kiss the welcoming lips a second time that surely made him feel warmer.

“No, but I’m up for something salty. My treat!” Jimin beamed again and grabbed the older’s hand in his, putting it in his own pocket. ‘His treat’ usually mean something he personally cooked instead of buying it, which both of them preferred.

“If you wish so.”

“But first…”

Jimin made a swift move and got even closer to Yoongi. He extended his arm holding his huge camera and gave the older no more than 3 seconds to prepare for the last ‘Snap’ of the day – their first picture together, and the last piece of the puzzle that Jimin needed.

On the way home, home being Jimin’s apartment, they finally had the time to talk more throughoutly and by the time they got there both of the felt a lot of the weight on their shoulders disappear. Yoongi explained properly why he declined the offer to Daegu at first and he also talked about his parents, just the most important things and apologized for thinking that it wasn’t important. This time it was Jimin’s turn to listen before telling him about his meeting with his professor. He was convinced that he would have many more chances in the future to have Yoongi watch him and his photos.

--

“When is Jimin leaving?”

“He just left this morning, why?” Yoongi raised an eyebrow at his friend, who only growled in response.

“You both make me really angry, you little kids.” Namjoon exhaled and threaded his fingers through his hair. “Go, I got your back at that elderly packed bakery. Go and wipe the sad look in your face before I do something about it myself, and trust me that might hurt.”

“But the next bus is in the morning I-“

“Go shower, pack and just sleep. The morning will come faster than you think. Just don’t blow this chance and do your thing.” Namjoon said after finally softening up, unintentionally showing the sweet and caring side of his character, which usually only Yoongi managed to dig out.

“Are you sure?” Yoongi exhaled and received a reassuring nod. “I really owe you Namjoon.”

“Don’t worry about it, just don’t screw up this time. Besides, your colleague is cute.”

“Who, Seokjin? What do you mean-“

“Just go shower already and sleep you overgrown baby.” Namjoon interrupted him, but there was a slight smile tugging on his lips.

“I got it. Thank you and… thank you.” Yoongi said and left for their dorm, separating with Namjoon who was heading to his night shift. But before going to bed he made sure to call two numbers first.

--

“Are you sure this is the way?” Taehyung asked for what seemed like the tenth time since the got off the bus, earning the already tenth nod from Yoongi.

“I’ve lived here for more than 18 years, trust me.”

“But we’re late, aren’t we…”

“Most probably we’re late, but let’s try now.”

The three of them, Yoongi, Hoseok and Taehyung, made their way to the hall where the exhibition was held and hoped that they would catch at least a glimpse of the contest itself, having surely missed the gallery exhibition. Upon entering the hall they were immediately faced with a huge interactive screen and a girl that looked around their age talk about something that was on one of the slides that was showing on the screen. The atmosphere was sophisticated and professional and all three of them suddenly felt way too underdressed to be attending such a place, but they decided to stay in the back and wait to see if Jimin would appear.

Another few contestants took the place of the previous girl, showing and talking about their own projects – some showing presentations, some showing self crafted projects, some just showing a set of pictures they’ve taken – all of them had their own personal story to tell and all of them having different way to show what they are passionate about. Yoongi’s heard was beating really fast, he both nervous and excited about seeing Jimin up there in front of so many people following his dream.

Another few contestants followed, but there was no sight of Jimin, not even in the row of the already finished people. Yoongi knew that they were too late, but the bitter taste of the disappointment still hit him hard. A loud round of applauds was performed and a tall, middle-aged person in a tight suit and expensive looking shoes took over the microphone and started his speech – congratulating the contestants, thanking the sponsors, talking about the event itself and of course about the prizes. It wasn’t boring, but Yoongi had a hard time trying to concentrate on the meaning of the words he kept hearing. He wondered if Jimin was feeling upset that he didn’t see a single face he recognized among the audience and his throat felt dry.

“Should I try texting him? Maybe he’s still around, probably backstage.” Taehyung asked worriedly after seeing the look on Yoongi’s face.

“No, let’s wait until it’s over.” Yoongi said and tried to smile, though really unconvincingly.

Another round of applauses echoed around the hall and the man looked like he was done with his speech, but he neared the microphone to his lips once again.

“And now as a representative of all our contestants let’s welcome a brave fellow that will probably have a speech less boring than mine!” The man exclaimed in a joking tone and a few giggles from the audience followed.

“They are going to talk again, let’s try searching for him on the other side of the hall?” Hoseok suggested and this time all three of them agreed, turning their backs to the stage.

Yoongi was looking around, but then the voice he could recognize even in his sleep started echoing through the entire room, sending chills all around his body. He turned around again and saw Jimin standing there, his back straight and his entire face lit in a smile, looking a lot older because of the all black suit he was wearing. He looked stunning.

“Good morning everyone, my name is Park Jimin and I’m twenty years old. I’ve been honored with the opportunity to represent all of the participants in today’s photography contest: “Snowflakes from behind the lenses”. Before I start, from the name of all of us, I wanted to thank the General Director Mr. Jang, the organizers that did an amazing job with the exhibition that occurred in the morning, the sponsors that made it possible that the Daegu photo Biennale exhibition happened again this year and of course to all of you in the audience that were wonderful enough to give us the chance to talk. Opportunities like this majorly encourage blooming enthusiasts like all of us that were able to stand on stage in front of you today and we all agree that we will leave the stage wiser, more experienced and definitely happier, no matter who is the winner. Expressing yourself through something that isn’t the words that we’re all able to say is something definitely challenging and it requires a lot of courage with a sprinkle of creativity to do. Capturing each moment behind a scene in a photo is the way we chose to express ourselves, so before rivals we’re all comrades connected with the same passion. Thank you again for listening to our confessions and watching out photos closely, because that is what matters the most for us. I hope that we meet each other again the next year too and have the chance to share our photos again.” Jimin finished, as firm and calm as he started, and bowed deeply.

Just after a second the entire hall stood on their feet and clapped without stopping, making Jimin unable to hide his smile. He took the microphone again and took a deep breath.

“Perhaps most of you are familiar with what a Muse is, is that right? A Muse could vary from a person to an object and, in simple words, the muse is the artistic inspiration for each artist – be it a piano player, a singer, a painter and us – photographers. The Muse inspires the creative flair in each of us and helps us in our hardest times. Not everyone has to have a Muse, they usually appear suddenly and without a warning, but today I also wanted to show gratitude to all of the people that have become the artistic inspiration for those who need it. Artists are quite lost without a Muse most of the time. And as a finale I wanted to thank the person that served as my inspiration not only as an artists, but as human being too. Thank you, Min Yoongi.” Jimin finished and bowed again, this time exiting the stage for good.

Yoongi felt star struck. For the longest time he couldn’t believe that it was the same Jimin that he knew standing on that stage, talking and acting in such a mature and responsible way, just like a true artist. The applause had started to cease and he barely registered that people around him were leaving the hall, but he couldn’t move. His eye wandered around the room to find the familiar figure, although he wasn’t sure that he knew that to say.

“Jimin!”

The brown haired boy sharply turned around after hearing his name and almost felt like he was dreaming.

“How…?”

“I have an amazing friend, to say.” Yoongi smiled and went even closer to him, thanking Namjoon for existing yet again. “But you know what? You were even more amazing up there. If I wasn’t already I feel like I would’ve fallen in love again.”

“Were you the one to overdose on sweets this morning?” Jimin chuckled slightly, but Yoongi noticed the really unusual blush creep up on his cheeks. “Was I really okay? I got chosen in the last minute and I had to improvise that speech.” Still feeling somewhat shy Jimin avoided eye contact and scratched the back of his neck and Yoongi really couldn’t help himself come even closer.

“You were amazing and I can only brag that you’re already taken. Thank you for your last words.” Yoongi whispered and put his finger under Jimin’s chin so they eyes can meet again. The younger finally broke off in one of his smiles that managed to get Yoongi feel all giddy and he leaned even closer.

But that can only happen in movies, right? A hand crept up between them and not so nicely tore them apart.

“Ahem, not to ruin the moment but you two love birds are in public and I, Kim Taehyung, am hungry so please let’s leave that for later.”

Jimin growled and threw his jacket at Taehyung in the same not so nice manner, calling him names and insults just as usual. Hoseok managed to take Taehyung away not to case a scene, but the four of them could only laugh at the ridiculous situation and proceed to the buffet that was waiting for them and mostly the black hole that was Taehyung’s stomach. Yoongi and Jimin held hands the entire time.


A/N I'm really, really, really sorry for uploading this so late ;~; I was stuck in a really bad writers block and that is why it took me such a long time to complete this ;; Ah, I can't believe that it's over ;u; Writing Heaven, along with all the amazing feedback I received, was definitely one of the highlights for 2014 for me;; I don't think I will ever be able to thank you enough, but I really wish to put a direct thank you to every single one that always left me supporting and sweet comments that never failed to make me extremely happy, to those that found this story worthy to subscribe to and read until the end and of course to all of the quiet readers that have also reached to here - thank you from the bottom of my heart♥♥♥

I know that my writing still lacks a lot and this story has a lot that needs to be fixed, together with all of the grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes that I've made and I wanted to apologize for that and thank you again for bearing with me ;~;

For this chapter I really improvised with the little speech Jimin gave so it might sound a little stuffy as i have never given a speach myself, but I tried making it seem what the Jimin here would say;;

Thank you for everything and I hope we meet again ♥